Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Does this happen in that terrible movie about the Boston bombings? Mark Wahlberg one?

Possibly, but that's not what I'm thinking of, I haven't seen that one. I was thinking about it last night and it might be one of the films in the Nikkatsu Diamond Guys sets that Arrrow put out, I might try to scan through them later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

codyclarke posted:

Nah, it was definitely a movie where one wouldn't assume those sorts of James Bond or Mission Impossible devices would appear. I remember it as just kind of a run of the mill suspense thriller. I remember it was the very first time I had seen a device like that, and it kind of took me out of the movie, cause it seemed too advanced and I couldn't stop thinking about the device.

Hand held document scanners were and still are a real thing but the only people that buy/use them are like fairly serious business types with lots of paperwork to deal with. Wikipedia has a pic of one that looks pretty 90s: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_scanner#Hand

They would definitely look/sound like scifi to a non-businessman in the 90s, and I imagine a movie would make it's usage bullshit instant/easy to boot.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

s.i.r.e. posted:

No one responded to this in the Horror thread so I'll ask here:

Need some goon help with a film again, came out a couple years back and I think I posted about it and maybe even asked about it after (having forgotten the name). I can't remember. Anyway, the premise is a mother and son move into a new house and spooky poo poo starts happening as par for the course. I think it comes to the point where someone breaks in to rob or kill them and the creepy haunts start happening to them. But the twist is the mother and son are aliens/otherworldly being and that the hauntings are their powers at play. I think the son might not be fully in control of his or something. I remember at the end they move and the mother goes "Hopefully this next house won't be that bad." as they drive by a sign that says "Welcome to Amityville." I remember the film taking place around a lot of pine trees, definitely some north west small down type deal.

I remember being kinda lukewarm about the film but I liked the premise since it explained the haunts in a way I never saw before. I want to watch it again but all my searches come up empty, I'm curious if I'll enjoy the film more now.

The Invasion (2007)?

It has the mother and son and alien parts you described.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

LadyPictureShow posted:

The Invasion (2007)?

It has the mother and son and alien parts you described.

I looked it up and it definitely isn't it because I definitely don't remember Nicole Kidman or Daniel Craig, it was a smaller film and I don't think there was anyone "big" in it. I also looked up The Invasion and it definitely isn't it.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

I see this gif on here from time to time of a man, possibly Wilford Brimley, riding a horse away from an exploding building. It looks really badass and I feel like I need to see this movie. Please help.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

fat bossy gerbil posted:

I see this gif on here from time to time of a man, possibly Wilford Brimley, riding a horse away from an exploding building. It looks really badass and I feel like I need to see this movie. Please help.

He's in the John Woo/JCVD film Hard Target so that would be my guess

e: Oh yeah, here we go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk5QIK3_Cjo

With bonus Bishop and Imhotep, now thats a loving cast.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 8, 2019

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
yeah it's Hard Target

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Hard Target aka The Movie Where Van Damme Punches A Snake

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Hard Target aka The Movie Where Van Damme Punches A Snake

and then sets the rattlesnake as a trap for his pursuers. :cenobite:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Hard Target is full of wild moments but Lance Henriksen's clown pants are the standout for me. :v:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Hard Target owns

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Pretty vague but a movie where someone shoots/throws a silverish weapon (some sort of a biological weapon?) at someone with a metal arm(?) who blocks it and it adheres to the arm and they just toss it off to the side. It felt really anticlimactical in the movie

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Nm, it was mk annihilation

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

No wonder you had trouble remembering. Your brain was trying to protect you.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

LadyPictureShow posted:

No wonder you had trouble remembering. Your brain was trying to protect you.

More like oldbrainless.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Jedit posted:

More like oldbrainless.

Aw poo poo. It was right there in front of me!

My chance at a more like old_____less zinger and I blew it.

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003
Crush me like a Blorknorg!

So I apologize if this isn't the thread for this, but I've been struggling to find a specific documentary for years now. A friend recommended I ask this thread so here I am.

I remember seeing it in the early 2000's maybe on Discovery or another channel that was similar in nature. I want to say it had a british narrator but my memory's unreliable in that regard. I think it was airing roughly in the same cluster of years that "Rough Science" was, but again it's been so long and my memory is poo poo.

The show followed I think five or six groups of people of different nationalities who had been given a vacation by the show, presumably they didn't know about the nature of the show. There were definitely Americans, Brits, Japanese, Skandanavians, and I think Germans and French people represented.

The show had each group go into set vacation circumstances and then observe the differences in the ways each group acted. So for instance they were each to have a barbeque, so the Americans bought shitloads of hot dogs and hamburgers, the Japanese people went to a butcher and bought a little bit of everything to sample, and the Skandanavians just bought a whole pig and spit roast it.

There were also two plants in each group, one male and one female, who would also set up specific situations. For instance one of the male plants would smoke on a non smoking bus. The Americans all shouted at him until he put it out, the Brits did the same. The French people all lit up the second the taboo was broken, and the Japanese simmered with silent rage.

That's sort of all I can really remember about it, I hope someone can remember it, it's been haunting me for years.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Saw something in a brewery on a TV with the sound turned off. It looked like it was from the mid-70s, and it seemed British to me. There was a scene where a man is drowned in a wooden barrel, then stuffed in it and the lid nailed on. Then there's a scene with people fencing in a gymnasium, and one of the guys may or may not have been Vincent Price. It then cuts to these people that live in this muddy place, with maybe an outsider coming in and people rubbing mud all over him. It goes back to the fencing scene with maybe-Vincent Price slashing up his opponent real nice.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Detective Thompson posted:

Saw something in a brewery on a TV with the sound turned off. It looked like it was from the mid-70s, and it seemed British to me. There was a scene where a man is drowned in a wooden barrel, then stuffed in it and the lid nailed on. Then there's a scene with people fencing in a gymnasium, and one of the guys may or may not have been Vincent Price. It then cuts to these people that live in this muddy place, with maybe an outsider coming in and people rubbing mud all over him. It goes back to the fencing scene with maybe-Vincent Price slashing up his opponent real nice.

Probably Theatre of Blood https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070791/

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Looking at the photos on the IMDB page, that's definitely it. Is it worth a rental?

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Looking at the photos on the IMDB page, that's definitely it. Is it worth a rental?

Absolutely, one of Vinnie's best.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
I just ate dinner with someone that described what sounds like an amazing horror movie. They said they watched it late at night on cable, it takes place in the past and is presented almost documentary style. There is a person that is possessed by a demon and it is surrounded by military, the demon is giving information about military targets and they don't try to help because the demon's information is useful. All those that listen to the demon either die or a close relative dies. It also goes to where one of the people in the military is in a church trying to prevent themselves from losing their own life. Any help finding this would be amazing.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Might be this, The Atticus Institute:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3280916/

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Davros1 posted:

Might be this, The Atticus Institute:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3280916/

That's exactly it. Thank you and dang that was fast.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Heh. Googled "horror movie military interview demon" and it was the second film.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Does anyone remember a movie/tv show (possibly from the 90s) with a female asian hacker? she may be wearing "cool" blue glasses and it is possible the movie has denzel washington in it. a friend of mine asked me about it since i usually remember stupid poo poo like this but it is driving me crazy. The closest i came using google was Cube 2 which features an asian programmer who is blind and wears glasses. but that aint it.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Rising Sun? Asian lady hacker with glasses, had Wesley Snipes instead of Denzel Washington though.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Okay. Asked this in the Discord, maybe somebody here can help me out:

It's a horror-comedy from the late-eighties or early-nineties. It involves a haunted house.

There is a specific scene that is burned in my memory: a group of characters go into a nautical-themed tavern or ballroom that has a large mural of a ship on a stormy sea. The mural comes to life, spitting rain and wind into the room, knocking people over. An octopus tentacle comes out of the mural and grabs someone.

Movies I thought it might be:

Haunted Honeymoon
High Spirits
Transylvania 6-5000

It could actually be any of those films, but the wiki synopsis' don't mention this scene, and I can't find a clip that matches what I'm thinking of for any of them on YouTube.

This might have been a Comedy Central regular during the mid 90's.

Little help?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Fart City posted:

Okay. Asked this in the Discord, maybe somebody here can help me out:

It's a horror-comedy from the late-eighties or early-nineties. It involves a haunted house.

There is a specific scene that is burned in my memory: a group of characters go into a nautical-themed tavern or ballroom that has a large mural of a ship on a stormy sea. The mural comes to life, spitting rain and wind into the room, knocking people over. An octopus tentacle comes out of the mural and grabs someone.

Movies I thought it might be:

Haunted Honeymoon
High Spirits
Transylvania 6-5000

It could actually be any of those films, but the wiki synopsis' don't mention this scene, and I can't find a clip that matches what I'm thinking of for any of them on YouTube.

This might have been a Comedy Central regular during the mid 90's.

Little help?

It is definitely High Spirits, I just watched it about a month ago. It's not a mural though, it's a stage with with a nautical set and cardboard waves and such.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

gey muckle mowser posted:

It is definitely High Spirits, I just watched it about a month ago. It's not a mural though, it's a stage with with a nautical set and cardboard waves and such.

god, loving thank you.

my brain.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I knew the movie, but not the name and it triggered something for me as well. Some deep buried recess where I store all my non-Police Academy Steve Gutenberg movies.

Aginor
Aug 1, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I've got one that I just can't remember the name or actors involved. It was a film from the 90's that was set in a dystopian future where they used chips to keep the intelligence of the youth low or something along those lines. All these youths were dressed like it was the 50s. I remember the ending being some kind of game where shooting himself on live tv. Feel like the actor is someone like Tobey Maguire (but this may because I'm confusing it slightly with Pleasantville). Any ideas?

Edit: Doesn't matter. I found it. It was Harrison Bergeron starring Sean Astin

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Looking for a fairly silly 1980s (or late 70s) horror/slasher film. Items I remember:
- all the victims are in a large house
- one girl is killed when the killer electrifies a lightbulb socket, electocuting the girl when she tries to adjust the light
- the last girl standing discovers that the killer is her creepy uncle, who has designs on her and somehow decided that killing all her friends was the best way to do it. She's able to overpower him and kill him.

Tried Google, anything with "uncle" and "light bulb" points to Addams Family or some recent movie called "Silent House."

Edit: It's not Madhouse (1981), which featured a murderous rottweiler and a gross uncle.

The Macaroni fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 28, 2019

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Someone is defusing a bomb by pulling something out of it and it's basically Operation - they have to not let the thing they're taking out touch the sides. I have no idea why I remembered this suddenly. I think the part they're removing is a cylinder, if that helps. :v:

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Pilchenstein posted:

Someone is defusing a bomb by pulling something out of it and it's basically Operation - they have to not let the thing they're taking out touch the sides. I have no idea why I remembered this suddenly. I think the part they're removing is a cylinder, if that helps. :v:

Executive Decision. Oliver Platt uses a plastic straw to keep the sides from touching.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Trevor Hale posted:

Executive Decision. Oliver Platt uses a plastic straw to keep the sides from touching.
He sticks the straw into the bomb to keep two pins from making contact, this is definitely somebody removing a cylinder (I think) from a bomb while trying not to touch the sides. I think there's even some buzzing as it gets too close.

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.

Pilchenstein posted:

Octopussy?

Groundskeeper Silly fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Mar 29, 2019

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Also there was a bomb defusing scene like this in the first season of Alias, I think.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

A car alarm is going off. A strong/smart dude tells another character that a tow truck lifting the car could turn off the alarm. They then proceed to lift the car by themselves to the correct angle and turn of the car alarm. Might have been Arnie as the strong guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

A car alarm is going off. A strong/smart dude tells another character that a tow truck lifting the car could turn off the alarm. They then proceed to lift the car by themselves to the correct angle and turn of the car alarm. Might have been Arnie as the strong guy.

This is a scene from Twins.

Pilchenstein posted:

I remember this just how you're describing it but can't remember what it is either. It's going to make me crazy, I can feel it.