Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

quote:

The only audience for streaming from a laptop is this small and very specific niche of weird older nerds who haven't bothered to keep up with the times.

The only thing I've found this marginally useful for is watching things like Twitch with ads blocked. DNS ad blocking doesn't seem to stop Twitch ads, but uBlock Origin does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

RestingB1tchFace posted:

And I have little to no interest in a Shield.
You're a real odd duck, huh? Perhaps a contrarian at heart?

You want to sell a 10 year old paradigm to fund... what? Seriously, I, and I'd guess the thread, would like to know what your endgame is.

Is it that you just really want something you can run Ubuntu on? For the purposes of...?

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Ixian posted:

And yet, you ended up with a collection of POS Celeron boxes? Did you get trapped in 2010 and only just made it out?

I got them for free and figured that I could toss on some linux OS and they could be potentially useful. No skin off my teeth to have a couple sitting around.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

TheScott2K posted:

What are you trying to do that a Shield can't do? Run Windows XP as a frontend?

As I said.....I didn't actively search these old dinky computers out to serve any specific purpose. I got them for free and wondered if there was a potentially useful application for them. So I'm very confused by the aggressive responses. I'm not trying to revolutionize the way my home theater functions.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Tapedump posted:

You're a real odd duck, huh? Perhaps a contrarian at heart?

I'll add my hat onto the Shield blows pile in a non contrarian way (because I have an aTV4k and don't care about emulators and the new plex player slaps).

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

RestingB1tchFace posted:

As I said.....I didn't actively search these old dinky computers out to serve any specific purpose. I got them for free and wondered if there was a potentially useful application for them. So I'm very confused by the aggressive responses. I'm not trying to revolutionize the way my home theater functions.

It's probably because you're a bunch of replies deep and still aren't like "oh ok I'll get a Shield [or ATV] then." Like you still seem to want validation for this scheme where you sell these Celeron boxes as HTPCs.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

RestingB1tchFace posted:

I got them for free and figured that I could toss on some linux OS and they could be potentially useful. No skin off my teeth to have a couple sitting around.

You can probably use them as little IoT devices, VPN servers, ad blockers, stuff like that.

Though they’re probably way overpowered and power hungry for any of those tasks. I guess it’ll save you $$ on RPis!

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

TheScott2K posted:

It's probably because you're a bunch of replies deep and still aren't like "oh ok I'll get a Shield [or ATV] then." Like you still seem to want validation for this scheme where you sell these Celeron boxes as HTPCs.

Validation? Have you been ignoring half of my posts? I've admitted that they are basically worthless. And I don't know why you keep bringing up the shield. I didn't go out of my way to get these things to fulfill some need. If I did.....I would buy a shield. Is your suggestion that I throw them in the garbage? Can't think of ANY purpose that these could be used for? If I were to load xubuntu and a media server on them and gave them to friends or family....do you think that they'd throw them in the trash and go buy a Nvidia Shield?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I think you would end up being tech support for a bunch of garbage PCs until they get thrown away, yeah. Send them to e-recycling.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

RestingB1tchFace posted:

If I were to load xubuntu and a media server on them and gave them to friends or family....do you think that they'd throw them in the trash and go buy a Nvidia Shield?

Yes. Or a Roku/FireTV. Lmao at subjecting family and friends to use a xubuntu based media server PC instead of telling them to spend $30-$50 on a Roku or FireTV Stick instead.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Validation? Have you been ignoring half of my posts? I've admitted that they are basically worthless. And I don't know why you keep bringing up the shield. I didn't go out of my way to get these things to fulfill some need. If I did.....I would buy a shield. Is your suggestion that I throw them in the garbage? Can't think of ANY purpose that these could be used for? If I were to load xubuntu and a media server on them and gave them to friends or family....do you think that they'd throw them in the trash and go buy a Nvidia Shield?

Your friends and family would rather have a Roku than anything you can do with these things. Put it on eBay as a lot and if nobody's interested send them to an e-recycler.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Looking for advice for upgrading my A/V setup so I'm posting here and in the home audio thread.

Current setup: Panasonic 4k TV about 2 years old (FirefoxOS), XboneX or laptop/tablet and Chromecast for Plex app, WD MyCloudMirror for Plex server, ancient (probably 10-15 years, we inherited it) Denon receiver and speakers.

I'd like to have fewer remotes, apps and AV source button presses to get between Plex and sports or Netflix and whatever. poo poo's too fragmented. Also, I get the Plex server cannot convert video message way too often. Finally, I want to be able to play audio (access to my own collection is a priority) in different rooms of the house without turning the TV on and preferably through the receiver.

What can I do? I like the TV just fine but I feel like a new media server needs to happen and I could probably do a lot more with a new receiver. I'll need speakers for the rest of the house. I've got about 2 grand.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Ok. Sounds like the consensus is to not waste time doing anything to these. Lol. At least I found out about Plex.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Ok. Sounds like the consensus is to not waste time doing anything to these. Lol. At least I found out about Plex.

Plex is amazing. If you have any questions about the software/platform, myself and several other goons can answer them in the Plex thread :) https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3620605

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
So my Nexus Player keeps pissing me off. I'll often switch to watch Netflix or HBO Go or something and my receiver will act like there is no input, this even happened yesterday with Google Player movies when I tried both the Android TV app and[ casting to it from my Pixel 3. It wasn't always like this. I keep hoping Google will release some other hardware, but it seems like they'd rather I buy a Chromecast? Is there any good Android TV box out there? Is Android TV dead as a platform and I'm better off with something like Roku?

Things I use my Nexus Player for:
YouTube
Netflix
HBO Go
Hulu
Twitch

TV apps like Comedy Central, FX

would be nice to have Amazon Video

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

People like the Nvidia Shield. Are you sure it's the Nexus Player and not your receiver?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Endless Mike posted:

Are you sure it's the Nexus Player and not your receiver?

You know, I actually thought of that as I was typing this. Trouble is, it's difficult to reliably "break", but I guess I could try re-watching the movie that gave me issues yesterday.
If I isn't the receiver at least I have the recommendation of the Shield so far.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
The Shield is better than the Nexus in every way and Android TV is still a thing.

Or if you don't care about Kodi get a Roku Ultra, they are cheaper and great devices for streaming.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Ixian posted:

The Shield is better than the Nexus in every way and Android TV is still a thing.

Or if you don't care about Kodi get a Roku Ultra, they are cheaper and great devices for streaming.

Yeah, about 6 months ago I parted out my homebuilt HTPC and replaced with a Roku Ultra and it's fantastic. I love the Roku remote too.

A full HTPC really doesn't make sense these days, especially with how fucky 4k HDR playback is on Windows.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
Looks like Roku is getting the new Apple TV streaming service too (as well as the FireTV and some Smart TV models). For whatever it's worth.

I don't see a whole lot that is different from what you can do today with an Apple TV other than A) Now available on more than the Apple TV and B) Apple originals i.e. sandbox content that if interesting enough will probably drive as many people to download/torrent it as subscribe to it. In other words, like every other service, just Apple.

They won't data-mine you so there's that too.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Of course I go home and try literally the same movie to test the receiver and it works fine now.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
The only thing I can imagine a HTPC might do that another box wouldn't is play someone's vast collection of DOS and NES emulator games and I don't think there's a bunch of people in TYOOL 2019 who want to play Lord of the Realms or something.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Glass of Milk posted:

The only thing I can imagine a HTPC might do that another box wouldn't is play someone's vast collection of DOS and NES emulator games and I don't think there's a bunch of people in TYOOL 2019 who want to play Lord of the Realms or something.

That is not even the case anymore. There are a plethora of good emulators for just about every older platform on Android TV, and many emulator frontends to give you a nice way to launch them. (think Plex, but for games)

There are even DOS emulators for Android TV that integrate with some of the emulator frontends (like ARC Browser for example).

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
As far as I can figure, having an actual PC as a HTPC makes sense in basically three scenarios anymore:

1. You want to play PC games on your TV that are too latency-sensitive for GameStream/Steam Link/whatever.
2. You want to play emulators that are too demanding for set-top box hardware.
3. You have a PC sitting around with nothing better to do, while simultaneously either not valuing your time or just wanting a project to tinker endlessly on.

I'm switching my main living room system from a Tinkerboard back to a PC for mostly the first reason with a bit of the third, but I'll be keeping the rest of the house on Pi-likes because they just work.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 29, 2019

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Interesting.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/16/18311894/logitech-express-alexa-remote-control-announced-features-pricing

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

For me, having to talk into a remote renders voice commands largely pointless.

Kinect remains undefeated (except by the market LoL) in the living room

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
$250 for a remote and an app?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
No HomeKit. It's trash.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I use a chromecast but I was looking at amazon firesticks and the "feature" where they mic your remote and listen to all your conversations is cool

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I'm just thinking about how much I ducked around to get my remote to work with Kodi and kinda want to see if I can do similar customization with voice.

Using voice to shoot IRA at things sounds like fun!

(not $250 fun)

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Logitech hub and echo dot can do that.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Yesterday Plex on my Shield only had recommended podcasts and web videos on the Home screen. I could still search for the show I wanted but even the settings menu only had the option to display those couple categories on the home screen.

Happen to anyone? It's the worst experience now and don't know how to fix it.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

KingKapalone posted:

Yesterday Plex on my Shield only had recommended podcasts and web videos on the Home screen. I could still search for the show I wanted but even the settings menu only had the option to display those couple categories on the home screen.

Happen to anyone? It's the worst experience now and don't know how to fix it.

It's a bug... Easy fix though.

Go up to the top of the screen to the right of the home icon where your server name is at and select it. It will take you to the server selection screen. Hit the select button to pick your server again even though it is already highlighted and has a check box and then hit the back button.

it will go back to the home screen but this time it will load properly.

I get this on both my shield and my old Nexus player from time to time.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Looks..terrible? The price point for the feature set is garbage and that remote is so limited. I don't need a billion buttons but definitely more than 9. No Google Home support either, gently caress that.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

The Gunslinger posted:

Looks..terrible? The price point for the feature set is garbage and that remote is so limited. I don't need a billion buttons but definitely more than 9. No Google Home support either, gently caress that.

Alexa being in all this poo poo at the expense of Google Home is annoying as hell. They're all bad, but at least Google is capable of not emailing people hours of recordings of someone else's conversations and poo poo like that.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
At this point I wish they had gone ahead with the planned spinoff or sale of the Harmony division because Logitech doesn't seem to know what the gently caress to do with it. They're like 2 years behind getting this functionality out there and they put out an overpriced, simplified remote that only supports Amazon devices. Unbelievable.

I will just get a USB far field mic and hook it up to the Shield so I can finally voice search with my Harmony.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

TheScott2K posted:

Alexa being in all this poo poo at the expense of Google Home is annoying as hell. They're all bad, but at least Google is capable of not emailing people hours of recordings of someone else's conversations and poo poo like that.

Please. They just haven't been caught doing it yet. Both solutions datamine the poo poo out of you and it completely baffles me why so many people stick a microphone in their homes that's directly connected to a giant corporation trying understand how to sell them things more effectively. And with only a pinky-swear that they won't do or let anything nefarious to happen, promise.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ixian posted:

Please. They just haven't been caught doing it yet. Both solutions datamine the poo poo out of you and it completely baffles me why so many people stick a microphone in their homes that's directly connected to a giant corporation trying understand how to sell them things more effectively. And with only a pinky-swear that they won't do or let anything nefarious to happen, promise.

No, they're referring to this:
https://www.newser.com/story/268884/amazon-sends-guy-alexas-recordings-from-another-home.html

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Ixian posted:

I guess you don't use Google search, Gmail, Chrome, Docs, Drive, etc. All of which, for most people, is likely to be way more of a potential issue than a not-always-on microphone in their home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Thermopyle posted:

I guess you don't use Google search, Gmail, Chrome, Docs, Drive, etc. All of which, for most people, is likely to be way more of a potential issue than a not-always-on microphone in their home.

I don't actually. My last Google service I switched was to DuckDuckGo about a year ago. Though it's impossible to completely avoid them.

That said I find an always on microphone creepier than all of those, whether they swear it only listens when it hears the magic word or not.