Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Cat Face Joe posted:

Here's the only magnet source you'll need: https://www.kjmagnetics.com

Ebay is pretty good too since you can usually get free shipping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Miles O'Brian posted:

I'm someone who generally just buys citadel paints and tools because I'm lazy like that but Tamiya Extra Thin was a revelation for me. I hated using plastic glue of any kind until I picked some up, now I could never use anything else. Its honestly the best and I will throw my love of the product into the discussion anytime it comes up. :colbert:

So if I get this right that type of plastic cement/glue wouldn't work well with traditional humanoid minis cause they lack overlapping flat surfaces? I really hate the super glue I've been using so far (random non-model specific one, can't remember the brand) cause it has the "crystallize/brittle" issue and also seems to dissolve details when running over...and the applicator is crap, so it's difficult not to make it overflow.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

darnon posted:

3mm is pretty huge for pinning and you don't need threaded brass for it. 1mm drill bits and paper clips should cover most stuff. Head pins for beads are pretty cheap also. I got a bunch of 21 gauge that I use for smaller, fiddlier items.

This sort of thing is exactly why I ask. I misread the units and thought it was 0.5mm. But if paper clips are fine, I've got those.

Cat Face Joe posted:

Here's the only magnet source you'll need: https://www.kjmagnetics.com

As mentioned, paper clips are free but brass rod or guitar strings are cheap and flexible if your holes aren't lined up. Brass rod comes from hobby stores.

For bits, I use #73 which is 0.61mm.

That's also good to know. I've been trying to move away from Amazon as a whole. Thanks.

Inspector_666 posted:

That drill works but there is a reason it's the cheapest one on Amazon. Source: I bought it too.
Eh, that sounds good enough for now. Contains enough sizes for me to find what I use the most (including 0.6mm)

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Doorknob Slobber posted:

when using a wet palette should there be standing water in the bottom of the container or should it all be absorbed by the pad?

Aside from a few droplets, all of your moisture should be in the sponge. You sponge should also not be sopping wet - kind of half-heartedly wring it out. You don't want it dripping, but you don't want it just damp either.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ijyt posted:

Lmao this is a shill post. If you can use a paint brush you can use tamiya glue, genuinely lol at this post.

The one time I got a bottle of tamiya the lid melted to the bottle and i had to pry it off. Every time I would pull the brush out it would be covered in gunk. Just not a fan at all of the applicator.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Zuul the Cat posted:

The one time I got a bottle of tamiya the lid melted to the bottle and i had to pry it off. Every time I would pull the brush out it would be covered in gunk. Just not a fan at all of the applicator.

I've never heard of this happening. Tamiya is the only stuff my LGS stocks and it's what pretty much everyone who goes there uses.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Serenade posted:

Finally picking up tools for pinning and magnetizing, is there a known "best" brand or supplier? I was looking at this drill and these magnets to start. I'm also going to grab these metal rods as none of my local hardware stores carry metal that thin.

Right now, I only have some trollkin and menoth dudes to pin and plastic warjacks to magnetize. I don't expect to assemble any colossals or metal robots for a while.

You can get these drills on eBay for pretty cheap if you haven't got it from Amazon already.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Zuul the Cat posted:

What the gently caress. I've had a bottle leak where I didn't screw it down properly and the plastic the cap is made of is (obviously?) completely unreactive with the glue. How are you managing this

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

TTerrible posted:

What the gently caress. I've had a bottle leak where I didn't screw it down properly and the plastic the cap is made of is (obviously?) completely unreactive with the glue. How are you managing this

I've no idea. I bought it specifically because everyone likes it so much, but my experience with it was just so bad I've steered clear of it since.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

I bought a bunch of Frostgrave minis so all this plastic glue talk has been useful.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Zuul the Cat posted:

I've no idea. I bought it specifically because everyone likes it so much, but my experience with it was just so bad I've steered clear of it since.

It honestly sounds like you got some kind of weird counterfeit or defective bottle. The glue shouldn't attack the cap or turn anything into a gummy mess :staredog:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Have you guys not heard the good word of Loctite Gel Control?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Zuul the Cat posted:

Ok granted I have had the foam seal bit glue shut my lid once, that was pretty lame.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

Have you guys not heard the good word of Loctite Gel Control?

ULTRA gel control.

And yeah that poo poo is great too, but tamiya and testors model master are good for plastic models as well. I like the solvent bond when I can get away with it (not much these days with all my resin minis)

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Oh this super bites: definitely gonna warn people off getting the army painter sets even though I enjoyed them for a while.

A good chunk of the higher saturation pigments: bright purples and greens and blues especially, even ones I hadnt used or opened yet, they pretty much clotted? It's something I havent seen before, GW pots dry out or the pigment starts clumping, this turned into a porous mass the consistency of spongecake

Metallics and washes are still pretty good and some of the colors in the line are fine but its so darn hit or miss.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Mar 8, 2019

crazystray
Aug 7, 2005
Grow or die.

Sharkopath posted:

the consistency of spongecake

Does it... taste... like spongecake?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

crazystray posted:

Does it... taste... like spongecake?

When I tried to see how bad it was it filled the entire shape of the bottle, so I wouldn't recommend it as a dish unless you like marrow.

A bit bummed cause even as a new painter I was pretty happy and doing fine and this scheme I tried ended up so poor I'm gonna learn how to strip models and try again. I blame the paint mostly though.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I prefer Guerilla Glue Gel but cyanoacrylate is basically cyanoacrylate.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Is there a US distributor you folks are getting your superglue from? Because even selecting from the higher-dollar stuff, I'm definitely getting more bad bottles than good. I'm thinking maybe my local hardware store's just had this poo poo sitting on the shelves for years at this point.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I use loctite professional liquid superglue which is sold cheaply pretty much everywhere and works great. (use plastic glue for plastic, tho)

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming
Just be happy you don't live a mile high where every superglue I open explodes violently.

kommisar
Jan 2, 2007

+1 for the loctite professional. it costs a couple dollars more but I've never had an issue with it. I mostly assemble and use oldhammer metal stuff and it works great.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

I've been painting for a little while but I still feel like I'm very new to a lot of the techniques of washes, highlighting, etc. My minis definitely reflect this (as well as my unsteady hands). But that said I'm pretty happy with how this Trenchers unit turned out. In particular I focused on using a wash and building up highlighting on the capes, and those are probably the best part of these minis.

I've been following this thread for a while and been kinda afraid to post anything because so many people are incredibly talented and committed. But I'm finally just gonna go ahead and post.

Trenchers + Capt. Maxwell Finn:

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
I have a rather odd question. I am going to have to heat my house to take care of a pest problem. The people will raise the temperature of my house to around 120 for about 2 hours. At this temperature and time, should I remove my painted miniatures or will they be ok? Mostly GW paints on metal and plastic figures.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
120 what?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
^^^ hope it's F and not C otherwise those minis will not be the only thing being liquefied :popeye: (120F is about 48C°)

Sharkopath posted:

When I tried to see how bad it was it filled the entire shape of the bottle, so I wouldn't recommend it as a dish unless you like marrow.

A bit bummed cause even as a new painter I was pretty happy and doing fine and this scheme I tried ended up so poor I'm gonna learn how to strip models and try again. I blame the paint mostly though.

How long after you've opened them up has this happened? I've had an unopened AP set for a couple of years almost, opened it up recently and the colors were all still good (although I had to add some stuff into the containers to get the pigment to mix properly with the medium after all that time laying unopened).

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Mar 9, 2019

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition

Yes, 120 F. Forgot to specify.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Less than 50 degrees c, you should be fine, I would expect.

But if you're concerned, grab an old mini you don't care about and test it.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

That Italian Guy posted:

^^^ hope it's F and not C otherwise those minis will not be the only thing being liquefied :popeye: (120F is about 48C°)

How long after you've opened them up has this happened? I've had an unopened AP set for a couple of years almost, opened it up recently and the colors were all still good (although I had to add some stuff into the containers to get the pigment to mix properly with the medium after all that time laying unopened).

ive only been painting for a handful of weeks, so maybe a month at most. It was also only some bottles and not the whole set, but a lot of the purple is no good.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Nash posted:

I have a rather odd question. I am going to have to heat my house to take care of a pest problem. The people will raise the temperature of my house to around 120 for about 2 hours. At this temperature and time, should I remove my painted miniatures or will they be ok? Mostly GW paints on metal and plastic figures.

GW plastic and metal will probably be fine. Resin/finecast will bend and you'll need to heat and rebend them. I'm not sure what it'll do to potted paints, but I'd remove them. If it's not too hard I'd take everything out of your house.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Stick em all in the fridge. :v:

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
I dunno about anything already painted, but bare plastic and metal should largely be fine. Some thin/tiny bits might get bent, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. I'd take any paint pots out of the house, and any spray cans.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
After watching hours of YouTube videos of paint drying, and discovering I had been doing it wrong all this time :( I've got the interest in coming back into the hobby. Finding the GW FREE paint app and seeing the 3 simple(?!?) parts of Basecoat-> Wash -> Drybrush has blown my mind.

My idea is for a new guard army (because my old 15 year old one is nearly completely not matching the existing codex, and I am ashamed of the old paint jobs) I aim to start from fresh. I've got about 30 different figures I never got past basecoating to play around with. My idea is for a Mordian infantry battalion in serried ranks, all standing next to each other, probably built using Victorian Miniatures Victorian Guard 10 Man Firing Line Squad or Anvil Industries Belgic Sharko Heads with Cross Belt Torsos.

Does anyone have experience with the Victorian Miniatures or Anvil Industries? Would they work together (ie- the Victorian Guard 10 Man Firing Line Squad WITH the Anvil Industries Belgic Sharko Heads with Cross Belt Torsos)? This makes the base of the army non-GW, so I guess I won't be using it at their stores. I love the idea of the male AND female Victorian Guard 10 (Wo)Man Firing Line Squad but I don't like the Pith Helmets. Does anyone have any experiencing in converting the Pith Helmets to Sharko's, I guess using green stuff?

I've got the Warhammer 40,000 Citadel Essentials Set, Drakenhof Nightshade and Chronus Blue, though, that's the same exact colour as Ultramarines. Should I use a black undercoat or white? I'm guessing white makes more sense, and make the pants grey rather than pure white.

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I prefer Guerilla Glue Gel but cyanoacrylate is basically cyanoacrylate.

Funny thing is, something about the texture of the Gorilla Gel superglue means it seems to have a bit of a longer shelf life too.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
I really like the GW paint app

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

LazyAngel posted:

Funny thing is, something about the texture of the Gorilla Gel superglue means it seems to have a bit of a longer shelf life too.

Very true. I have several bottles that are still good.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Comstar posted:

After watching hours of YouTube videos of paint drying, and discovering I had been doing it wrong all this time :( I've got the interest in coming back into the hobby. Finding the GW FREE paint app and seeing the 3 simple(?!?) parts of Basecoat-> Wash -> Drybrush has blown my mind.

My idea is for a new guard army (because my old 15 year old one is nearly completely not matching the existing codex, and I am ashamed of the old paint jobs) I aim to start from fresh. I've got about 30 different figures I never got past basecoating to play around with. My idea is for a Mordian infantry battalion in serried ranks, all standing next to each other, probably built using Victorian Miniatures Victorian Guard 10 Man Firing Line Squad or Anvil Industries Belgic Sharko Heads with Cross Belt Torsos.

Does anyone have experience with the Victorian Miniatures or Anvil Industries? Would they work together (ie- the Victorian Guard 10 Man Firing Line Squad WITH the Anvil Industries Belgic Sharko Heads with Cross Belt Torsos)? This makes the base of the army non-GW, so I guess I won't be using it at their stores. I love the idea of the male AND female Victorian Guard 10 (Wo)Man Firing Line Squad but I don't like the Pith Helmets. Does anyone have any experiencing in converting the Pith Helmets to Sharko's, I guess using green stuff?

I've got the Warhammer 40,000 Citadel Essentials Set, Drakenhof Nightshade and Chronus Blue, though, that's the same exact colour as Ultramarines. Should I use a black undercoat or white? I'm guessing white makes more sense, and make the pants grey rather than pure white.

Those lines should be compatible; IIRC they we're all meant to interface with the basic Cadian sprue. Give it a shot and see what happens. I would likely undercoat white for a more vibrant look.

Honestly the best way to figure things out is to just paint.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

TotalHell posted:

I've been painting for a little while but I still feel like I'm very new to a lot of the techniques of washes, highlighting, etc. My minis definitely reflect this (as well as my unsteady hands). But that said I'm pretty happy with how this Trenchers unit turned out. In particular I focused on using a wash and building up highlighting on the capes, and those are probably the best part of these minis.

I've been following this thread for a while and been kinda afraid to post anything because so many people are incredibly talented and committed. But I'm finally just gonna go ahead and post.

Trenchers + Capt. Maxwell Finn:

Hello fellow new painter! I experience the same anxieties you do about posting my paint jobs. You're a lot further along in skill level than I am for what it's worth it! I like these dudes you did, they are awesome. :)

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I said come in! posted:

Hello fellow new painter! I experience the same anxieties you do about posting my paint jobs. You're a lot further along in skill level than I am for what it's worth it! I like these dudes you did, they are awesome. :)

new painter club represent

unfinished, but im having fun at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

new painter club represent

unfinished, but im having fun at least

Lookin' good so far. Welcome to the madness!