Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

XboxPants posted:

Actually can every episode just be Fen-centric? She's the fuckin' break-out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
does anyone else have theories about how/whether 'Nick' will come back before the end of the season?

my money's on him arriving to give the core crew important presents an episode or two before the finale

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I wonder whether we'll see Zelda working against the library at some point. I'd be up for that.

Also interested to see where they go with Jewel Staite's character.

Never thought I'd be so interested in the librarians!

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Chalks posted:

Never thought I'd be so interested in the librarians!

I'm very interested in why OG Penny's division seems so different than the other Librarians.

Also am I the only one who thinks original Penny would mock himself so hard for all the woke buzzwords he was dropping to make his point, esp. since none of them made any sense with the characters being discussed? 'You're such a cis white protagonist frat bro guy for thinking Margo, a very strong well developed female lead and Elliot, a very well developed mostly gay characters are leads. You just identify with that straight white protagonist guy Quintin, the guy who lived with Elliot for 50 years and who's relationship was just made a point of." Alice and Quintin haven't been a thing for what, 3 seasons now?

In fact of all the leads, I think Josh is the only straight white guy. If they wanted to fix the whole problem, they could have had that guy think Josh or Todd was the 'lead', which would have been hilarious.

Half makes me wonder if he's just spouting whatever they want him to say to play the library in the long term and his whole 'I believe in the mission!' thing is a pure bullshit act. But mostly I suspect some writer wanted to be Hip To the Youth (TM) and show how woke they are, even though it makes absolutely no sense in this context. (If it is Penny just playing them, bravo)

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 8, 2019

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I think it's because they have a very different perspective. The underworld branch doesn't seem very connected to the rest of the library at all, besides being where all librarians eventually end up.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah, if only for the living librarians being bound to a code of ethics to not read people’s books, but Penny’s branch of the underworld library is entirely focused on that.

Vvvv to be fair that apartment is like 70% kitchen.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 8, 2019

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Man, if you're gunna start up the episode with some super metatextual poo poo talking about representation and unfair sexism, don't include Significant Kitchen Scenes With Women where the only men a) are asked to leave the kitchen, or b) almost die in the kitchen :v:

Like if you want me to read into your episode motherfucker imma read.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

Blazing Ownager posted:

Half makes me wonder if he's just spouting whatever they want him to say to play the library in the long term and his whole 'I believe in the mission!' thing is a pure bullshit act.

I really hope this ends up being the case. Up until recently this show has been a fantastic example of how to challenge stereotypes without being super on the nose about it. “Show, don’t tell” and all that.

Cishet white male being a thing that was said unironically in this last episode is wildly out of tone for a series that has been such a stellar example of how to write extremely diverse characters.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Leathal posted:

I really hope this ends up being the case. Up until recently this show has been a fantastic example of how to challenge stereotypes without being super on the nose about it. “Show, don’t tell” and all that.

Cishet white male being a thing that was said unironically in this last episode is wildly out of tone for a series that has been such a stellar example of how to write extremely diverse characters.

It seemed to me like the writers were, in effect, looking into the camera and saying, "Hey Reddit? gently caress you."

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
The Order is terrible in the bad way if you're trying to find something to fill the void after you're caught up with this show. Anyone have any suggestions for anything similar?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I dont think there is anything else like this show.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Not on TV, at least.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ersatz posted:

Not on TV, at least.

Books are for losers.

This show is something special. I had no idea I was watching what would become my favorite series when it debuted.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Rhyno posted:

It's really disappointing having watched all of this in a row and having nothing else now like it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nichael posted:

It's really disappointing having watched all of this in a row and having nothing else now like it.

If everything else was like this, it wouldn't be special.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo
I find it interesting to see people pushing back at how blatant this past episode was w/r/t calling out viewpoints on stories, because call me a filthy hippie, but I really found it refreshing. I mean, sure, it was unsubtle as hell, but I liked that about it! Yeah, this show's been already good at subtly undermining the notion of the cishet white dude as the center of the fantasy epic, but sometimes you don't want subtletly, sometimes it's nice to see the show marching out with fireworks in each hand and a giant flaming cape on its back.

Also the three perspectives it foregrounded were badass as hell, especially Kady sparking the hedge witch insurrection. Helllll yes.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

atomicgeek posted:

I find it interesting to see people pushing back at how blatant this past episode was w/r/t calling out viewpoints on stories, because call me a filthy hippie, but I really found it refreshing. I mean, sure, it was unsubtle as hell, but I liked that about it! Yeah, this show's been already good at subtly undermining the notion of the cishet white dude as the center of the fantasy epic, but sometimes you don't want subtletly, sometimes it's nice to see the show marching out with fireworks in each hand and a giant flaming cape on its back.

Also the three perspectives it foregrounded were badass as hell, especially Kady sparking the hedge witch insurrection. Helllll yes.

Nah I agree with you. The show's been great with talking with it's actions, but it hasn't shied away from being blunt and direct as gently caress before, either - I'm pretty sure Margo's recent reclamation of "pussy" hasn't been her only direct call-out.

Hell, this isn't even the first time they've brought up Quentin's status in this very specific context:

quote:

As someone born in 1902, I find a heterosexual white male hero very relatable.

Direct call outs are a big risk, cause if you can't back it up you look like a fool. But if you can, there's nothing wrong with saying "Bitch please, you are a racist, sexist, homophobic piece of poo poo. Go to hell." straight to someone's face. That just makes you Margo.

If anyone is so unfamiliar with words like "cisgender" or "cishet" that it seems this strange and unnatural for someone to use them in a conversation, please consider whether you're having enough discussions with your friends about these topics. They're pretty important to a lot of people, myself included.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
You know it's a pretty small section of society that uses words like that on the regular right?

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

XboxPants posted:

If anyone is so unfamiliar with words like "cisgender" or "cishet" that it seems this strange and unnatural for someone to use them in a conversation, please consider whether you're having enough discussions with your friends about these topics. They're pretty important to a lot of people, myself included.

You must live in a very tiny bubble.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Ariza posted:

You must live in a very tiny bubble.

To be fair they could just be like.. under 30?

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Yeah, cisgender/cishet are pretty common words if you leave your rented apartment for reasons other than To See The Sport or Visiting A DMV

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I am recently 40 and it's really only in the last two years or so that the terms have become more common and familiar to me. Even if they're uncommon terms it's your obligation to learn what they mean out of respect for other people.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Spanish Matlock posted:

To be fair they could just be like.. under 30?

or, god forbid, be not cis or het? it's remarkable that anyone is willing to take the time to complain about someone saying cishet in the year of our lord 2019

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

eke out posted:

or, god forbid, be not cis or het? it's remarkable that anyone is willing to take the time to complain about someone saying cishet in the year of our lord 2019

Nobody complained about using the word, other than in the context of this show. It was a wild tonal shift for the character and obviously shoved in there without much thought.

Annoyed would be a better word, the preachy/shaming overtone in the post("If anyone is so unfamiliar with words like "cisgender" or "cishet" that it seems this strange and unnatural for someone to use them in a conversation, please consider whether you're having enough discussions with your friends about these topics."). It speaks of privilege and ignorance at how the real world works.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Ariza posted:

It speaks of privilege and ignorance at how the real world works.
It speaks to privilege and ignorance, not of.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Whalley posted:

Yeah, cisgender/cishet are pretty common words if you leave your rented apartment for reasons other than To See The Sport or Visiting A DMV

Maybe it depends where you're from but I'm pretty sure the only reason I know those words exist is from this forum and I would be pretty surprised if 90% of the people I know in real life have heard of them. I'm honestly not sure how you're expecting most people to be familiar with these sorts of buzzwords.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Chalks posted:

Maybe it depends where you're from but I'm pretty sure the only reason I know those words exist is from this forum and I would be pretty surprised if 90% of the people I know in real life have heard of them. I'm honestly not sure how you're expecting most people to be familiar with these sorts of buzzwords.

"buzzwords"

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Chalks posted:

'cis' is the opposite of 'trans' it's not a buzzword. 'het' is short for 'heterosexual.' 'gender' is the range of characteristics pertaining to and differentiating between masculine and feminine.

I'm wanting people to become familiar with these words because I'm hoping more popular TV shows start using them exactly like how Magicians did, because that's the context in which I hear it pretty casually used regularly.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

eke out posted:

"buzzwords"

Cishet is jargon, are you trying to say otherwise?

Whalley posted:

'cis' is the opposite of 'trans' it's not a buzzword. 'het' is short for 'heterosexual.' 'gender' is the range of characteristics pertaining to and differentiating between masculine and feminine.

I'm wanting people to become familiar with these words because I'm hoping more popular TV shows start using them exactly like how Magicians did, because that's the context in which I hear it pretty casually used regularly.

There's nothing wrong with the Magicians using the term here, but honestly without making any effort to explain it it's just a nod to people who already know the word, which is pretty uncommon in my experience.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 10, 2019

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I mean i just took it as an enlightened Penny. He's let go of all his anger and released his burden so to speak.
I didn't find it weird.

More than half the world who would actually care about gender stuff are being beaten over the head with jargon they don't understand. Most people will just get onboard after the dust settles on the lingo.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Penny learned to accept his death in a book club for reading about other people's lives. They invited him because he was cool, and he went because he was forced to, but now? He's loving into it.

Of course hes going to nerd up SJW this poo poo. That's when that happens. You talk about stuff like that when you care about people. And you use dorky words because the people you discuss those things with use those words. The logical conclusions you can make about people who don't talk like that are different varieties of lol and sad but I'm not here to connect those dots for you.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Chalks posted:

There's nothing wrong with the Magicians using the term here, but honestly without making any effort to explain it it's just a nod to people who already know the word, which is pretty uncommon in my experience.

For a show that is constantly dropping obscure pop culture references without taking the effort to stop and explain what they are, and how they relate to the show, people are oddly focused and bothered on this. It's not a good look, and there are some "buzzwords" to describe what they're thinking.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Nihonniboku posted:

For a show that is constantly dropping obscure pop culture references without taking the effort to stop and explain what they are, and how they relate to the show, people are oddly focused and bothered on this. It's not a good look, and there are some "buzzwords" to describe what they're thinking.

I quite clearly said there's nothing wrong with it so I don't think you're being very reasonable here.

They drop references as nods to the in crowd all the time, but when it comes to making more people familiar with the terminology, I don't think this does anything - and I don't think they're trying to, either. I think 99% of the lecture is aimed at cultural bigotry and that specific phrase is a nod to people who are knowledgeable on the topic already.

The only thing I'm bothered by is the implication that anyone who doesn't understand the reference is some dude bro idiot when in reality it's the majority of people simply because it's a very uncommon term that goes completely unexplained. This sort of hostility towards anyone who doesn't already have this in their vocabulary really doesn't encourage people to learn more about the topic.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Chalks posted:

I quite clearly said there's nothing wrong with it so I don't think you're being very reasonable here.

They drop references as nods to the in crowd all the time, but when it comes to making more people familiar with the terminology, I don't think this does anything - and I don't think they're trying to, either. I think 99% of the lecture is aimed at cultural bigotry and that specific phrase is a nod to people who are knowledgeable on the topic already.

The only thing I'm bothered by is the implication that anyone who doesn't understand the reference is some dude bro idiot when in reality it's the majority of people simply because it's a very uncommon term that goes completely unexplained. This sort of hostility towards anyone who doesn't already have this in their vocabulary really doesn't encourage people to learn more about the topic.

i'm sorry you think peoples' identities are "buzzwords" and that we're being unreasonable and hostile by pointing this out. the good news is the vast majority of the people you're so valiantly defending are a lot smarter than you think

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

eke out posted:

i'm sorry you think peoples' identities are "buzzwords" and that we're being unreasonable and hostile by pointing this out. the good news is the vast majority of the people you're so valiantly defending are a lot smarter than you think

I feel that perhaps I am misunderstanding something. The term I described as a "buzzword" is "cishet" which, as I understand it, is a term to describe the majority of the population's seuxual/gender orientation?

Are you saying that there are people out there who "identify as cishet" and would be offended by me calling it a buzzword?

If so I'm certainly sorry for any offence.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rocksicles posted:

I mean i just took it as an enlightened Penny.
It's not like Penny has been afraid to call people out on their poo poo before:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

XboxPants posted:

I'm pretty sure Margo's recent reclamation of "pussy" hasn't been her only direct call-out.

Not even by a little:

Basically, if you don't like a show using "sjw buzzwords" then the Magicians isn't for you.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

e: nevermind, i shouldn't continue this

eke out fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 10, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You know while we're on this topic, I have a close friend who transitioned and I am constantly terrified that I'm gonna misgender or dead-name them. Does anyone else have experiences like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
A fun episode, I didn't really think the penny dialogue was out of place, I was more bugged that Kady had a fun "I'm closing all Sam's cases and also maybe have some mysterious other business I'm doing" and then that pretty interesting (to me at least) idea of Kady: Magic Cop got sidelined immediately by the rent being due and what that led to. I feel like that notion got short shrift and I would have liked at least a scene of her out castin' spells and saving peeps, or for her to have that established in a prior episode and then in this episode she gets caught up by all this stuff.

My only comment on all this latest major discussion is that the 1900's ghost saying he really related to a straight white male hero was probably my favorite single line of the last season.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 10, 2019