Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

sassassin posted:

The issue is I'm using offhand quest reward weapons as my only weapons because they're way better than my legendary is (I've put 4 more crystals on it since I last posted but the dps gap is even wider now: max tier 546.6 dps vs 765, and that's a Lhingris quest reward sword iirc).

My gear is awful for a 117 but I'm still in 115 land so it's not too crippling so far.

I did the volume 4 epic and Black Book on this character.

I can't see myself doing the latter again. It's really bad in comparison to the rest of Mordor.

Two offhand weapons offer you zero legacies instead of 14 and one of the main sources of imbued scrolls and crystals for many is from doing the complete epic quest, sorry I gotta agree you owned yourself by playing the game at level 117 the way most people play it at level 17

At one point years ago I came back and just loved skirmishes so much I did them until I was finally bored and behind on the book quest, but I never made 18 posts about how the game was unfair to me for playing it wrong, but again if you think more offhands will fix it and you're on Landroval we can craft some for you or I can keep an eye out for BoEs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
Speaking of Skirmishes they're doing some event where if you do 4 on-level skirmishes and kill an extra boss in each one every day for the next month you get some gold essences. I did the Rift skirmish once before I remembered that skirmishes are the worst thing in this game not named Epic Battles and quit. Apparently the quest implementation is buggy as hell too.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

extra stout posted:

Two offhand weapons offer you zero legacies instead of 14 and one of the main sources of imbued scrolls and crystals for many is from doing the complete epic quest, sorry I gotta agree you owned yourself by playing the game at level 117 the way most people play it at level 17

At one point years ago I came back and just loved skirmishes so much I did them until I was finally bored and behind on the book quest, but I never made 18 posts about how the game was unfair to me for playing it wrong, but again if you think more offhands will fix it and you're on Landroval we can craft some for you or I can keep an eye out for BoEs.

I'm playing a warden so it's an offhand weapon and a legendary javelin (since javelin dps doesn't matter. God help me if it did, though. That's another 20+ anfalas star-lit crystals to max out).

And as I said I did Volume 4 which is where all the crystals are handed out. If "playing it right" was to grind Minas Tirith dailies for two weeks I'm content being wrong at this stage. I have been questing and exploring instead.

I don't know about other classes but Warden melee legacies can't make up for a 40% base dps gap. More damage, bigger heals (morale taps).

It's not been too bad once I got out of Mirkwood, though. The trolls and ghost armours were especially tough for common landscape enemies.

If you can craft a one-handed weapon (spear preferred) in the 114-117 range that does more than 765 dps Faedhelvith would find it very useful.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

jalapeno_dude posted:

Speaking of Skirmishes they're doing some event where if you do 4 on-level skirmishes and kill an extra boss in each one every day for the next month you get some gold essences. I did the Rift skirmish once before I remembered that skirmishes are the worst thing in this game not named Epic Battles and quit. Apparently the quest implementation is buggy as hell too.

So far I haven't seen a single one bug but I know you cannot do barrow downs on T3 because it doesn't exist, so a patch is coming today maybe so that T1 counts on the T3 deed.

It is grindy, but it keeps rotating through a huge list of skirmishes so you could have multiple gold essence without repeating anything more than maybe twice.

If it makes you feel better, it's actually 'do all of today's skirmishes except one' so if its 4 you pick any 3, if it's 5 pick any 4 that day. You can do them all on T1 for that essence, or just do them all on T3 and get two essence in half the time. So far I haven't had problems with any of the skirmishes on T3.

Some people claimed the extra boss is not spawning, but all of mine had. Some don't spawn until you loot the regular boss. And some might be around a corner, so tab around or pay attention to the announcement text.

TLDR: The essence give maybe 13,500 crit, so I'm gonna enjoy defending Moria from orcs. I also really like some of these old ones like the weathertop (Stand At Amon Sul) and the Gondamon one. Some nerd did the number crunching and the biggest upgrade is Crit or Mastery, for beornings or some tanks the vitality essence might be your most useful. So if you plan to raid just use the crafted mitigations. Outgoing healing is also huge in those if you're not capped on a healer already.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The Ironfold is very nice to look at (very movie LotR) but there doesn't seem to be anything there. There's so much more to find and do in the much older, much smaller, much uglier Lone Lands.

I'd like Dale a lot more if they could have afforded new voice acting for the townspeople. They're all chattering about Lothlorien and Khazad Dum and only the soggy book has a nice Scandinavian accent to listen to.

I've read ahead on the wiki and decided to give up on the Black Book. It's an endless series of filler and wild goose chases. I should have stayed with Harthalin and the rangers to stop that plague.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 12, 2019

Pugzilla
Feb 25, 2011
If anyone knows of a grind spot/s where I can go from 77 to 81 I'd be very happy to know where. Does not matter where, I can travel!

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Pugzilla posted:

If anyone knows of a grind spot/s where I can go from 77 to 81 I'd be very happy to know where. Does not matter where, I can travel!

Why specifically 81?

Your only real options are:

1 - Milk blue & green quests in Great River 70-75. It's one of the most popular zones.
2 - Riders of Rohan xpac 75 - 85
3 - Sassassin's favorite option, running the epic, which is free until Helm's Deep @ 85-95

You can also get a lot of mileage out of running skirmishes.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Pugzilla posted:

75 to 85 is East Rohan the whole time (with Great River at 75 and Wildermore at 85). In your requested level range it's Wold 75-77, Norcrofts 78-80, Entwash Vale 80-81 if you want to do quests on-level.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

I don't know why you would want to grind 77-81 but if you do, find some areas around that level and do some kill deeds at least so you get something else out of it.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Don't people normally run that really short Mirkwood scaling instance?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I heard warg pens XP was nerfed but I haven稚 tried in a while.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
The yule encore should be up soon. If you do the inn league and ale quests along with yule dailies you can get 5 levels pretty easy during the event.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Do power costs of skills increase massively above level 115? I'm draining my power super fast now. Never had to worry about it before.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

sassassin posted:

Do power costs of skills increase massively above level 115? I'm draining my power super fast now. Never had to worry about it before.

It's almost as though they expected you to get a legendary weapon around level 100 and then have legacies that reduce your power use by maybe 60 percent depending on your class.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

extra stout posted:

It's almost as though they expected you to get a legendary weapon around level 100 and then have legacies that reduce your power use by maybe 60 percent depending on your class.

None of the legacy guides I browsed suggested the power ones were worth much of a drat.

I narrowed the main offender down to my corruption removal skill I was hammering (as on a warden it only removes 1 at a time). 500/6k power for each use. Two whole minutes out of combat to refill my power bar from empty.

Literally never an issue even in long fights until 116. Finally might get some value out of scholar crafting with all these potions.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Why are you curing corruptions at 116? I barely noticed them outside of Moria as an issue.

Siddhartha Glutamate
Oct 3, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
So I've recently logged back onto Drachenfutter and decided to check out north Mirkwood, even though I was only level 111 and still don't have Mordor. I like what they did with the lighting in the first part (I traveled there via the stable in south Mirkwood) as it was so dark I kept getting lost, and being under level and waaay under geared it was the first time in a long time I felt threatened. I realize that last bit is totally on me, but my level/gear doesn't change the lighting, which was really befitting of Mirkwood.

I've done a few small quests in and around Erebor/Dalelands and hit level 112 and as I was going over my gear I noticed that I never imbued my LIs.

You read that right, at level 112 and I never imbued my LIs.

I am bogged down with indecision on what to do with it. I have to choose between Red line two-handed weapon and Blue line axe 'n board. I've always played Drach as an axe 'n board red line Guardian, but it looks like this is a dumb way of playing a Guard, as two-handed appears to be universally suggested for red line. I suppose the only reason I'm having trouble with this is that I am not sure how I'd manage without a shield (never played without one) and though I am almost exclusively solo with Drach I would like to do instances if/when I get Mordor and get my butt to cap (lol, won't ever happen.)

It seems that I need to commit to one or the other before I imbue. Any of you struggle with indecision like this?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Fried Sushi posted:

Why are you curing corruptions at 116? I barely noticed them outside of Moria as an issue.

Wounds or whatever they're called. Poison, bleeds, that sort of thing.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Siddhartha Glutamate posted:

So I've recently logged back onto Drachenfutter and decided to check out north Mirkwood, even though I was only level 111 and still don't have Mordor. I like what they did with the lighting in the first part (I traveled there via the stable in south Mirkwood) as it was so dark I kept getting lost, and being under level and waaay under geared it was the first time in a long time I felt threatened. I realize that last bit is totally on me, but my level/gear doesn't change the lighting, which was really befitting of Mirkwood.

I've done a few small quests in and around Erebor/Dalelands and hit level 112 and as I was going over my gear I noticed that I never imbued my LIs.

You read that right, at level 112 and I never imbued my LIs.

I am bogged down with indecision on what to do with it. I have to choose between Red line two-handed weapon and Blue line axe 'n board. I've always played Drach as an axe 'n board red line Guardian, but it looks like this is a dumb way of playing a Guard, as two-handed appears to be universally suggested for red line. I suppose the only reason I'm having trouble with this is that I am not sure how I'd manage without a shield (never played without one) and though I am almost exclusively solo with Drach I would like to do instances if/when I get Mordor and get my butt to cap (lol, won't ever happen.)

It seems that I need to commit to one or the other before I imbue. Any of you struggle with indecision like this?

Why would you need to chose? Guardians don't need dps for tanking afaik so throw all your star-lit crystals on the two-hander.

The problem with Mirkwood's lighting is that they cheat and you can look up and see the sky and it'll be dark at midday.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

sassassin posted:

Wounds or whatever they're called. Poison, bleeds, that sort of thing.

oh you meant curing debuffs on yourself ok, yeah that makes sense. Thought you were talking about stripping corruptions from mobs.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Yah that skill is not cheap and I'm pretty sure it purges the oldest debuff, FIFO-style? Not sure how it's picked actually...

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

So what I've been doing for fun on my first real playthrough is having the LotR audiobook on in the background as I play, and it's pretty amazing how many details they got right. For instance, I'd completely forgotten that Archet, Combe, Staddle and other areas of the Bree starting zone were actually mentioned and discussed in the books.

Also, does anyone ever use the instance finder? I got in a queue to find a group for the Great Barrow then played for ~2 hours while I waited but nothing happened.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope
I've been slowly making my way to Gondor and I just ran into the pelargir epic battle. Sigh I forgot how much I hated leveling epic battle skills.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

CheeseSpawn posted:

I've been slowly making my way to Gondor and I just ran into the pelargir epic battle. Sigh I forgot how much I hated leveling epic battle skills.

I found Pelargir a little intense with a no skills warden, but the Minas Tirith ones are very easy to get through.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon

Comrade Koba posted:

Also, does anyone ever use the instance finder? I got in a queue to find a group for the Great Barrow then played for ~2 hours while I waited but nothing happened.

No one uses it. There's an LFG chat channel and you can usually find folks there, but lower level stuff is hit or miss. Or ask in the kin.

Or loop back when you're a higher level and solo it.

Meander
Apr 1, 2010

I知 finally in Gondor (Quantiel), enjoying it so much more than Rohan. I知 still well over level - nearly 106 in a 100 level area, but I知 fine with that. Really enjoying the Jajax questline.

Now that level 100 LIs are dropping I知 considering starting my imbued items - I know I need to preferably get all the legacies I want on them before imbuing but should I get Second Age or First Age LIs to start with, and if so, where do I get them from? And do you bother imbuing warsteed bridles?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Meander posted:

I知 finally in Gondor (Quantiel), enjoying it so much more than Rohan. I知 still well over level - nearly 106 in a 100 level area, but I知 fine with that. Really enjoying the Jajax questline.

Now that level 100 LIs are dropping I知 considering starting my imbued items - I know I need to preferably get all the legacies I want on them before imbuing but should I get Second Age or First Age LIs to start with, and if so, where do I get them from? And do you bother imbuing warsteed bridles?

Warsteed bridles are pretty much pointless.

If it's convenient to get a crafted first age weapon they start with a higher dps cap after imbuement, but not by much. Nothing a couple of star lit crystals won't fix (and you can usually buy 3 for the price of a first age or the components for one). It saves a tiny fraction of the grind it takes to get a weapon up to competitive stats later on.

Item xp can turn into a big grind if you leave imbuement late. They soak up an insane amount for (initially) tiny % increases on legacies, which mostly start off weaker than their non-imbued forms.

Meander
Apr 1, 2010

Can you use those stored xp things (like Cryptic Runes of Knowledge) on imbued items? I have a whole pile in my vault.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Meander posted:

Can you use those stored xp things (like Cryptic Runes of Knowledge) on imbued items? I have a whole pile in my vault.

Yes, and you will want a lot of them. Millions of xp.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
http://www.lotro.com/en/game/articles/producer%E2%80%99s-letter-%E2%80%93-february-2019-%E2%80%93-look-ahead

Still reading it now but I called it fuckers Shelob will be the 2019 raid boss and we're eventually going to Minas Morgul

edit

To clarify we're going to The Vale of Anduin in an expansion and then Minas Morgul 'later', which is very vague. I would guess this is going to involve meeting some beorning friends and then some places that aren't well described in the books. One confusion I have is that we've already seen Dol Guldur And destroyed it with Galadriel in a book quest in 2018 so I'm not really sure of which areas and towns they'll be diving into before we reach Minas Morgul.

64 bit client is just about ready for beta, I imagine that will be kept vague and kept in beta for a long time depending on how common crashes are for different hardware.

Virtue points are going to have passive stats that provide some benefit for the ones you don't slot, and deeds will now award 'virtue point exp' or some dumb poo poo where you can shop for the ones you want. Calling it now: This will be a good way to finally use virtue points again if you've been playing for years, and a new pay to win feature if you're on a new account.

To end the summary: If you're on the legendary servers I hope you really like doing old raids and groups because not mentioning PVP/PVMP in a producer's letter nearly 3 months into 2019 means they haven't even gotten close to balancing the code, and might just wait til level 100 so they don't have to work on balancing those numbers.

extra stout fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 22, 2019

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

The virtue point changes seems good on the surface, have to see how it痴 implemented. Disappointed that there is no mention of making imbued legendaries less of a grind, guess they really want people to spend time in 3 year old content. Lol jk really they want people to whale.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Really confused at people who really want pvp, especially in the legendary servers. Did it get good or something? Was empty and terrible when I played last.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

ILL Machina posted:

Really confused at people who really want pvp, especially in the legendary servers. Did it get good or something? Was empty and terrible when I played last.

PVP is pointless and dumb.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Pvmp back in SoA was actually kinda fun, but it didn稚 last long before balance issues made it a mess. Turning it on on the legendary servers would probably be a balance nightmare, for the 10% of players that would actually play it.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
I haven't touched this game since 2013 but I'm thinking of reinstalling it to take a tour and see some sights. I remember it as not being very active even back then. I guess I should I just go solo at this point, or are there some people who log in sometimes on Landroval who I could maybe ask some dumb questions every once in a while? Dunno if I'll even be able to reactivate my account and/or transfer characters to a not-dead server at all.

e: I am very smart and read good and totally didn't miss all the dates in the OP indicating that yes, people still play this game

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 26, 2019

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
Landroval is a good active server and you can ask your dumb questions in general chat and usually get a helpful answer if there are no goons around. The average player tends to be a bit older than your typical mmo crowd and the trolls are minimal.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Reinstall, password recovery and character transfer went without a hitch, so now I'm on Landroval with a lvl 43 captain and a lvl 22 runekeeper. One of the last things I remember from last time I played was getting taken on a tour through the Tomb of Elendil with some Nazgun 85's. That was pretty cool.

I found the captain stuck in Bilbo's room in Rivendell because it seems I was relying on VIP access to do stuff around the Trollshaws and didn't own the area. Managed to remember how to fast travel to Bree, so now there's just a huge pile of inventory junk to sort through. Runekeeper was already in Bree and the last thing I remember doing was doing Great Barrow with pugs.

Hmm. I guess I could reroll on legendary but I guess the main point of that is to actually do old group content? Not sure how enthusiastic I am about that, and I'm in euro timezone too. I think for now I'll try getting the captain into Moria instead and see how much I remember about the game and how much has changed. I think I liked playing the RK better though.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Feb 27, 2019

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
An ongoing tale

https://twitter.com/lotro/status/1103064802933526529

https://twitter.com/lotro/status/1103333182794067968

https://twitter.com/lotro/status/1103454716095287301

https://twitter.com/lotro/status/1103673476085415937

https://twitter.com/lotro/status/1103774841537208323

https://twitter.com/lotro/status/1103874571654983680

https://twitter.com/lotro/status/1104065855216852997

this is the dictionary definition of Not Good.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
has any mmo been offline for this long before? i've only played major western ones but i don't remember anything longer than a few hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Yes, this game had a 2-3 day(if not longer) downtime a few years ago.

I suspect that some of their server hardware poo poo the bed and they're going to replace it.