Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'm gonna argue for Fire Emblem Warriors. I personally preferred it to HW, even Definitive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Commander Keene posted:

I'm gonna argue for Fire Emblem Warriors. I personally preferred it to HW, even Definitive.

Same. I love Zelda, but I think HW is just mechanically better.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I loved Pirates 3 and had never seen or read it before. After, I was going to watch it but noped out when I realized there's literally 700 episodes.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Oh, I guess I should add that I'm going to play on PC ideally because I'm mainly looking for a fun low-thinking game to play while I bike, and the consoles are all in the living room.

So does the pirates 3 recommendation still stand for the PC port?

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
I know this has been answered before, but I can’t remember which page. Is it possible to get dw3 extreme legends working on emulator? I can’t figure it out - the disc swapping etc.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Karnegal posted:

Oh, I guess I should add that I'm going to play on PC ideally because I'm mainly looking for a fun low-thinking game to play while I bike, and the consoles are all in the living room.

So does the pirates 3 recommendation still stand for the PC port?

Yes, is a decent PC port that runs well even on mid to low spec pcs, get a gaming pad though.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Pirates 3 is great just for the whole "Finish a combo and have a team mate jump in and use their own combo finisher, too" gimmick. You can change around which team member is your buddy for these attacks based on each stage, and can change during the stages.

Unfortunately, it did come out before they started in with the mechanic of changing completely to other fighters mid-level and ordering your own characters around.

It's a great game, though. There's a lot of characters, all with unique movesets. On the upside to this, you're certain to find a bunch you love. The downside is that there will also be a bunch you hate.

There is also a single level in story mode that is just godawful. Just the absolute worst. And every single character in the Straw Hat Pirates, and I think even some others, needs an upgrade piece that is only available from that stage, as I recall.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Manic X posted:

I know this has been answered before, but I can’t remember which page. Is it possible to get dw3 extreme legends working on emulator? I can’t figure it out - the disc swapping etc.

There's some convoluted method out there about making a combined ISO, but other than that the disc-swapping on PCXS2 doesn't seem to work at all with the DW series.

On the topic of DW3XL, I can't even save/load game when using an emulator. The data get corrupted every time so I've been using savestates.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

There's some convoluted method out there about making a combined ISO, but other than that the disc-swapping on PCXS2 doesn't seem to work at all with the DW series.

On the topic of DW3XL, I can't even save/load game when using an emulator. The data get corrupted every time so I've been using savestates.

That’s disappointing to hear. I never played XL as a kid and wanted to give it a shot.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I remember having some difficulty using the manual save/load in the options menu, but I've been able to get DW3XL working. The process to make that dual-iso thing to bypass the disc swap does work, I've done it with both 3 and 4, though I will grant it's a little convoluted, as long as you follow the step-by-step, it's really not hard. I think I wasn't quite able to get 3XL to load the data from regular DW3, so when I moved from 3 to XL, I lost all the progress I'd made.

I haven't had any problems with 4, though.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Was doing a lot of messing around with DW3 co-op earlier via Parsec. It holds up surprisingly well for some fast co-op nonsense and remains a fun experience overall, but my god the FOV in split-screen is a bit of a bastard. How did we put up with that back in the day? The pitifully low number of rendered models in co-op also becomes a real 'oof' moment once you start getting pincushioned by invisible archers/crossbows.

On the upside, because of Parsec we also found a way to play DW8XL online. Now that's the good poo poo!

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
https://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Dynasty-Warriors-XL-problem-SOLVED

This does work with 3XL for sure, but supposedly works with 4/5/SW as well. Basically you just mash through the load original menu, I think the combined image just puts the code it looks for in the right place, as the complete base game I believe is usually stored on the XL disc for loading purposes.

SW2:XL on 360 does this the best I think though, having it be DLC actually makes everything flow smoother, although it might be problematic in the long term.(Can you even buy the SW2XL on the 360 anymore?)

Question that's been bugging me related to the XL releases - what's Capcom's claim? Koei's been doing it since 2001 or so or whenever 3XL released. Was there another game that used the disc swap method of expansion packs before then? Nothing jumps to mind but I might be oblivious.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I seem to remember they had a patent, which I think was about disc swapping expansions or something.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

I am a bit confused about step 4; where are those files? When extracting the game I just get a bin file and cue file

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Manic X posted:

I am a bit confused about step 4; where are those files? When extracting the game I just get a bin file and cue file

The bin file is the disc image, cue file contains information about the image.

Use a disc mounting program to open it and copy the files.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I don't remember this happening ever before...

:stare:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I miss the old games having weird rear end alternate storylines for each faction, and I wish the orochi series was less about fighting a snakeman and more about weird hypothetical paradox states fighting ahistoric wars.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012

Keeshhound posted:

I miss the old games having weird rear end alternate storylines for each faction, and I wish the orochi series was less about fighting a snakeman and more about weird hypothetical paradox states fighting ahistoric wars.

I loved the hypothetical battles in DW8. Just having the whole Sun family basically faking their own deaths to reappear years later.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

I don’t remember having red health as Lu Bu either

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

I managed to get DW3 XL working. There’s an ISO available with the patch already added. Seems to run relatively smoothly on emulator. Would anyone be interested on LP’ing it?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nice

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
DW3 definitely plays worse than my memories told me, but drat if I don't love the message text flying in and pulsing. It's stupid and also great.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Having recently started DW3 from scratch, and now again after pissing around getting the combined DW3+XL ISO going, I definitely haven't missed having those stupid loving archer towers around when I'm playing DW8XL.

I certainly don't miss having to rely on a load of dogshit RNG just to get a weapon that'll let me use a full moveset either, instead of just having available moves be tied to the character's level. Went through two Musou campaigns on Normal (Lu Bu and Zhang Liao) and I didn't get a single loving third weapon!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
DW3 archers :unsmigghh:

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011
He Fei Castle. *Thousand yard stare*

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Leal posted:

DW3 archers :unsmigghh:

ZoninSilver posted:

He Fei Castle. *Thousand yard stare*

They're loving horrible enough on the ground but having to deal with "towered" Archers/Crossbows in DW3 can tilt me immediately. It wouldn't be so bad if the draw distance wasn't total poo poo but when you're being needled by a bunch of invisible dickheads -- which do way more damage than they should -- and your only way to counter them is with your own cumbersome bow attacks (which are rendered useless if you get staggered and your target goes offscreen), enjoyment drops like a loving rock.

As far as Lu Bu's time on He Fei Castle goes, however, avoiding that central area like the plague until only Sun Ce remains is an easy (and advised) way to get around that horseshit ambush. Yeah it takes longer but the stress reduction is worth it. Your allies should be swarming the area by then, and all those dumb little bow-wielding shits get eradicated immediately.

Anyway, just finished Zhang Jiao's Musou Mode. What a miserable sack of poo poo. What an absolutely joyless venture that was. I get that not everyone can have Lu Bu's area-clearing capabilities and that's fine, I think Xiahou Dun is awesome and more than a capable choice even with only half the attack range Lu Bu has, but Jesus loving Christ Zhang Jiao is another story. His range and general moveset is just unacceptably pathetic.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

They're loving horrible enough on the ground but having to deal with "towered" Archers/Crossbows in DW3 can tilt me immediately. It wouldn't be so bad if the draw distance wasn't total poo poo but when you're being needled by a bunch of invisible dickheads -- which do way more damage than they should -- and your only way to counter them is with your own cumbersome bow attacks (which are rendered useless if you get staggered and your target goes offscreen), enjoyment drops like a loving rock.

As far as Lu Bu's time on He Fei Castle goes, however, avoiding that central area like the plague until only Sun Ce remains is an easy (and advised) way to get around that horseshit ambush. Yeah it takes longer but the stress reduction is worth it. Your allies should be swarming the area by then, and all those dumb little bow-wielding shits get eradicated immediately.

Anyway, just finished Zhang Jiao's Musou Mode. What a miserable sack of poo poo. What an absolutely joyless venture that was. I get that not everyone can have Lu Bu's area-clearing capabilities and that's fine, I think Xiahou Dun is awesome and more than a capable choice even with only half the attack range Lu Bu has, but Jesus loving Christ Zhang Jiao is another story. His range and general moveset is just unacceptably pathetic.

Not helping matters is that he's so easy to knock out of a combo. At least DW4 gave him that 360 shockwave at the end of his 3rd charge attack. I've seen a video of his 5th weapon from 3XL though. That poo poo's HILARIOUS.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Hrmm. Seeing about loading up DW5XL, but when I go to "Load Original" with the vanilla DW5 ISO, it thinks it's the wrong disc. I've tried a few different things, but nothing seems to work. Any thoughts?

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

You have to fiddle around making a combined ISO. It's tedious but works, at least for DW3XL, so I see no reason why the same method wouldn't work for the rest of Koei's XL things.

1. Extract both the DW5 ISO and DW5XL ISO contents into separate folders. Doesn't matter where, as long as you don't confuse yourself.
2. Copy-paste the contents of DW5 over into DW5XL. Combine folders if/when prompted, but do not overwrite anything. This is simply to ensure that anything unique to DW5 ends up on the DW5XL disc.
3. Create a new ISO out of this new combined abomination in the DW5XL folder.

Now your DW5XL ISO will have all the necessary stuff from DW5, and 'Load Original' should behave itself. Just mash through the option.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
I have such great memories of playing DW3 and 3XL in high school and college, my friend and I played through co-op to get all of the 4th and 5th weapons - I don't know how I would have done it without someone who lived within shouting distance ready to drop in at a moment's notice to help with some of those ridiculous missions on Chaos difficulty.

Sometimes I think I'd like to go back and play that one again, but then I remember all of the quality of life improvements that have been made, and I don't think I could do it. Even just the AI when trying to complete a mission for a rare weapon or item could be a nightmare. (Not as bad as in SW1, but close.)

I've also given DW9 another try, and I'm actually having fun with it now. I spent a bunch of time running around the map opening up the fast travel points, so now I can just work on the missions, jumping from one to the next, and it feels much more streamlined and more like a real DW game. I just wish they'd actually give us the unique weapons for each character like they did in WO3 (is 4 like that too? I haven't played it yet) rather than offer them as slow-drip DLC. I might have even considered buying the weapons DLC if you could buy back the unique weapons for all the clones at once. (RIP Tonfas. :( )

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

You have to fiddle around making a combined ISO. It's tedious but works, at least for DW3XL, so I see no reason why the same method wouldn't work for the rest of Koei's XL things.

1. Extract both the DW5 ISO and DW5XL ISO contents into separate folders. Doesn't matter where, as long as you don't confuse yourself.
2. Copy-paste the contents of DW5 over into DW5XL. Combine folders if/when prompted, but do not overwrite anything. This is simply to ensure that anything unique to DW5 ends up on the DW5XL disc.
3. Create a new ISO out of this new combined abomination in the DW5XL folder.

Now your DW5XL ISO will have all the necessary stuff from DW5, and 'Load Original' should behave itself. Just mash through the option.

Unfortunately, doing this with DW5/XL results in an .iso that PCSX2 doesn't even recognise as a PS2 rom for some god-forsaken reason. Also, like... 99% of the files on the two .iso's are named identically, so only one or two things at most actually gets copied over.

EDIT: Oh poo poo, I don't know what I did differently this time, but it actually recognised the vanilla DW5 disc this time! I hope to god it's not a fluke and that I can duplicate the process later on.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 7, 2019

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Uncle Ulty posted:

I have such great memories of playing DW3 and 3XL in high school and college, my friend and I played through co-op to get all of the 4th and 5th weapons - I don't know how I would have done it without someone who lived within shouting distance ready to drop in at a moment's notice to help with some of those ridiculous missions on Chaos difficulty.

Sometimes I think I'd like to go back and play that one again, but then I remember all of the quality of life improvements that have been made, and I don't think I could do it. Even just the AI when trying to complete a mission for a rare weapon or item could be a nightmare. (Not as bad as in SW1, but close.)
In all honesty if you've not played DW3 in over a decade or so then you're probably doing yourself a favour by not going back. I've been flip-flopping between all the releases since DW3 on a relatively frequent basis (often having to start from scratch) so it's less of a shock when QoL stuff I've been taking for granted in DW8 suddenly isn't a thing when I'm back in DW3/4/5 etc (such as calling my horse, only to have all the overhead lifebars disappear instead). In short, just stick with the memories of the good times. Going back will most likely ruin them, like back when I dug out DW2 for the first time in aeons shortly after 5XL was released. Basically I was horrified at what I couldn't do anymore and have looked down on DW2 ever since, even though it started the whole drat genre :smith:

Uncle Ulty posted:

I've also given DW9 another try, and I'm actually having fun with it now. I spent a bunch of time running around the map opening up the fast travel points, so now I can just work on the missions, jumping from one to the next, and it feels much more streamlined and more like a real DW game. I just wish they'd actually give us the unique weapons for each character like they did in WO3 (is 4 like that too? I haven't played it yet) rather than offer them as slow-drip DLC. I might have even considered buying the weapons DLC if you could buy back the unique weapons for all the clones at once. (RIP Tonfas. :( )
I've still yet to bother with DW9, the clone movesets being one such reason. Pay extra on top of Koei's ludicrous asking price just to actually have fun and use the full cast meaningfully? I'd rather not. Thankfully, WO4 isn't this way. It bases the DW cast on DW8XL, complete with their unique weapons and movesets.

Speaking of weapons, I really miss having Zhang Liao's old guandao. The twin axes are fine and all that and I suppose I'm used to them now, but something about the change just doesn't feel right.

BlazetheInferno posted:

Unfortunately, doing this with DW5/XL results in an .iso that PCSX2 doesn't even recognise as a PS2 rom for some god-forsaken reason. Also, like... 99% of the files on the two .iso's are named identically, so only one or two things at most actually gets copied over.
Odd. I'll try it myself later on.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
But yeah, I basically grew up on DW4 and DW5, with DW3 having introduced me to the series by playing it at a friend's house. When I picked up PCSX2, DW3 was one of the first things I looked for. Golden memories. :D

I have 8/XL on Steam, but I have no interest in 9. It's not just the weapons thing (though that is a grievous sin; ripping out interesting weapons to sell them back as DLC is something I put on EA/Activision tiers of scummy), it's that the open world concept is them just trying to jump on an old bandwagon too late, doing it poorly, and in a game where an open world actively harms the game's core experience.

I'll pass on 9, and see if they learn their lesson for the next game.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

In all honesty if you've not played DW3 in over a decade or so then you're probably doing yourself a favour by not going back. I've been flip-flopping between all the releases since DW3 on a relatively frequent basis (often having to start from scratch) so it's less of a shock when QoL stuff I've been taking for granted in DW8 suddenly isn't a thing when I'm back in DW3/4/5 etc (such as calling my horse, only to have all the overhead lifebars disappear instead). In short, just stick with the memories of the good times. Going back will most likely ruin them, like back when I dug out DW2 for the first time in aeons shortly after 5XL was released. Basically I was horrified at what I couldn't do anymore and have looked down on DW2 ever since, even though it started the whole drat genre :smith:
I played a bit of Warriors Orochi 2 for a while last week after having most recently played Fire Emblem and Hyrule Warriors, and out of muscle memory I kept trying to dodge-roll to cancel animations and just jumped instead. Couple that with the fact that all of the triggers do different things and either the game doesn't emulate well in PCSX2 or my PC isn't robust enough to handle it, and it was a pretty sad experience overall.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

BlazetheInferno posted:

EDIT: Oh poo poo, I don't know what I did differently this time, but it actually recognised the vanilla DW5 disc this time! I hope to god it's not a fluke and that I can duplicate the process later on.
SAVE. STATE. I have to do this with DW3XL since my save data is "corrupted" each and every time I boot the game up. I know at some point down the line after something like 10 years of consecutive runtime that this will all blow up in my face but oh well. At least I got my Sky Scorcher back.

Another small QoL thing, but being able to select the music in newer titles really is a fortunate convenience. I can just play whatever stage and set whatever music, instead of ummm'ing and ahhh'ing over whether or not I want to get such-and-such item/weapon or listen to The Men Of Intelligence.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Sometimes I forget just how much Lu Bu actually hurts.

Then he hits me twice and reduces me to a magic pixel and the only thought in my mind is OH gently caress OW PAIN WHY RUNNING NOW OWWWWWW

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

There’s some youtube videos that link the patched iso in the description which is great. Why bother going through all the effort of making your own when many people have already done it.

At least this is true for dw3xl and dw4xl. Not sure about 5.

I am playing through xiahou dun’s musou mode and drat i am loving the nostalgia. I failed to get red hare harness as guan yu stole my kill after all my hard work. Lu Bu is easy to beat as a low level if you can get his guards out the way first. Then just block- attack over and over. However he can charge his health up to max which is annoying.

The thing that I surprisingly love the most though is how simple the attacks are. None of this flashy magic bullshit, and the peons actually are worth fighting. Having more fun with xl than I was with WO4.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
1) Holy poo poo, Guan Yu survived Lu Bu long enough to steal the kill?

2) Wait, the player specifically has to get to kill for the Supply Captain to spawn? Ripoff! I know it's like that for stuff like 4th weapons and some other Rare items, but I figured Lu Bu and Red Hare was a special case. Guess not.

3) Yeah, 3 honestly has the smartest, most dangerous peons in the series. They got less and less impressive as the series went on. Archers hurt like hell, and even the lowly privates will occasionally bust out a small musou attack.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Mar 8, 2019

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Speaking of, one thing that annoys me in these games is that, at least in Hyrule Warriors, you need to get the killing hit on something for it to give parts. It's so drat annoying to go out of my way to take something out only for some incidental attack from a nearby soldier or character or whatever to get the very last little pixel of damage off and then it drops nothing. I would be totally fine with needing to do most of the damage in order to get the reward, but the killing blow is all that matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

HPanda posted:

Speaking of, one thing that annoys me in these games is that, at least in Hyrule Warriors, you need to get the killing hit on something for it to give parts. It's so drat annoying to go out of my way to take something out only for some incidental attack from a nearby soldier or character or whatever to get the very last little pixel of damage off and then it drops nothing. I would be totally fine with needing to do most of the damage in order to get the reward, but the killing blow is all that matters.

That's generally been true of all Warriors games where obtaining something special involved getting kills. The games don't track who dealt how much damage to someone, the only thing it keeps track of... is who dealt the killing blow. Someone's Final Weapon requires you to kill three or four specific officers? Congrats, you got the first three, but your Bodyguard stole the killing blow on the last one, guess you need to start over! What's that, you didn't bring your bodyguard because you saw that possibility coming? Too bad, an allied officer snagged the last hit instead!