Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

tarlibone posted:

Also... how cool is it when Boyle is suddenly so competent? I figured Holt was a diversion, but I didn't see anything else that happened coming. Way to go, Boyle.

He was never really incompetent, compared to Hitch or Scully. He's just best at the things he's passionate about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

cant cook creole bream posted:

He was never really incompetent, compared to Hitch or Scully. He's just best at the things he's passionate about.
Yeah he's a big stupid dumdum about social stuff but nobody outside of Hitchcock and Scully is bad at their job - and those two even have an explicit subplot in an early episode about how they're Good At Detectiving, they just want to seem incompetent so they don't have to leave their desks. It's great.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Azhais posted:

Brooklyn 99 S6 - ooooohhhhhh nnoooooooo

Is there a way to make a GIF a thread title

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
How do you do, fellow heterosexual males?

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Region-locked...within the US?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Laterite posted:

Region-locked...within the US?

There's a separate YouTube channel for the US.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Azhais posted:

Probably my favourite bit of the entire episode. I rewatched it 3 times. Melissa Fumero is honestly so good, and I honestly feel like she doesn’t get enough credit.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

This is a good example about why B99 does it so right: Sure the joke is partially "look at the gay man not being able to even imagine being with a woman" but they did so good with the rest of his character that you know it also comes from his general tenancy to be nonplussed and objective and very descriptive.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

The_Doctor posted:

Probably my favourite bit of the entire episode. I rewatched it 3 times. Melissa Fumero is honestly so good, and I honestly feel like she doesn’t get enough credit.

I just watched the sexual harassment episode from last week and holy poo poo Melissa Fumero is good in it. That scene where she talks about how her first captain made a pass at her was phenomenal.

"This kind of stuff has happened to literally every woman I know"

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Fumero and Beatriz are consistently fantastic, I think they'll go on to do a lot of other work in comedy.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Whalley posted:

Yeah he's a big stupid dumdum about social stuff but nobody outside of Hitchcock and Scully is bad at their job - and those two even have an explicit subplot in an early episode about how they're Good At Detectiving, they just want to seem incompetent so they don't have to leave their desks. It's great.

"Was it a crumb based or pastry based shell"

"......I dont know?"

" Then you should pick up the phone, find out AND STOP WASTING OUR TIME"

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Whalley posted:

Hitchcock and Scully are living their best possible lives. They're exactly where they want to be.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Azhais posted:

When Amy was doing that, I was getting flashbacks of Bill Hader doing Keith Morrison.

Edit: Specifically, the first and best time he did it. The only one on YouTube is OK at best, but I found this:
https://view.yahoo.com/show/saturday-night-live/clip/12256441/dateline

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Mar 9, 2019

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Hitchcock and Scully are living their best possible lives. They're exactly where they want to be.

They're living the life I crave

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

The_Doctor posted:

Same, that was amazing.

Her anger at the idea of a permanent shrine to David was also top-notch.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Mad to see Lin Manuel Miranda in it, they're good at getting guest stars. That guy's properly living his dream Simon Pegg style.

I was just thinking we'd barely seen Boyle this series at all.

Catnapper
Mar 17, 2018
Lin Manuel Miranda was too good at playing the annoying perfect brother, and Amy pretending to be sad was incredible.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Brooklyn 99 S6- That's savage. I love it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

The_Doctor posted:

She does such great physical and facial acting, it's always extra good.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Fumero is Emelia Clarke if Emelia Clarke could act

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Catnapper posted:

Lin Manuel Miranda was too good at playing the annoying perfect brother, and Amy pretending to be sad was incredible.

He was having the time of his life, too.

Asking who is your favorite Santiago

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Taear posted:

Mad to see Lin Manuel Miranda in it, they're good at getting guest stars. That guy's properly living his dream Simon Pegg style.
He was also great as himself in Difficult People. RIP Difficult People.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
Does anyone know the exact quote for Jake's response to convincing Amy to do the right wrong thing? Something like:

"Hate how we got here but pleased we're going there!"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Metalshark posted:

Does anyone know the exact quote for Jake's response to convincing Amy to do the right wrong thing? Something like:

"Hate how we got here but pleased we're going there!"

"Don't love how we got here, but we're going where I want"

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Cojawfee posted:

"Don't love how we got here, but we're going where I want"

Thanks. That line got a big laugh out of me in an episode filled with them.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Great episode, Jake’s “whyyyyy” when the brother said he doesn’t have a TV killed me. It was such a tiny little perfect nugget of a gag.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Zwille posted:

Great episode, Jake’s “whyyyyy” when the brother said he doesn’t have a TV killed me. It was such a tiny little perfect nugget of a gag.

It was good, but it doesn't beat this gem from Community, which contains the best ever response to that phrase:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxT87twfijs

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I think I remember that bit, can you type it out? The video isn’t subtitled (not even automatic captions) and I’m hard of hearing (not kidding). :)

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

It would mean a lot to me if they'd have Jake be officially bi. I know it's not going to happen, but pleeeaaaaase.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Whalley posted:

It would mean a lot to me if they'd have Jake be officially bi. I know it's not going to happen, but pleeeaaaaase.

But why? Why can't a guy be straight and accept that some dudes are good looking? Women do it all the time, and yet men are definitely more chastized by society for doing so. Jake being willing to go "yeah that guy is gorgeous" without being sexually attracted to him is completely fine and helps dismantle toxic masculinity in its own small way.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

HookShot posted:

But why? Why can't a guy be straight and accept that some dudes are good looking? Women do it all the time, and yet men are definitely more chastized by society for doing so. Jake being willing to go "yeah that guy is gorgeous" without being sexually attracted to him is completely fine and helps dismantle toxic masculinity in its own small way.

Because I'm bi and the list of bi men on TV can be counted on one hand with enough fingers left to do a Bi Fingergun

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
There are so few positive portrayals of bisexual males in media and it'd be cool if Jake was officially one. LGBT people deserve to see themselves on tv, too. Pushing back immediately with "why can't he just be straight?" is really crappy also.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

At the beginning, I didn’t care for Amy because I thought she was the pretty girl in the straight man role, and holy crap did that opinion change. When the writers found her character, she became so good.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

big dyke energy posted:

There are so few positive portrayals of bisexual males in media and it'd be cool if Jake was officially one. LGBT people deserve to see themselves on tv, too. Pushing back immediately with "why can't he just be straight?" is really crappy also.

I have no problem with there being men portrayed as bisexual on TV, obviously, but I also think immediately casting a straight man who makes comments that directly oppose the culture of toxic masculinity as being bisexual ultimately does more harm than good (ie. "well only someone who's bisexual would think a man can be good looking", which then perpetuates that aspect of toxic masculinity even more.

Like, if Jake had been cast as bi right from the start, cool. Absolutely zero problems with that. But doing it after the fact because he positively comments on other mens' appearance I think is ultimately more harmful than good.

Sorry, my initial post was rushed and probably made my point super badly. But yeah, I definitely 100% agree that there should be more bi men on TV, I just think that in this particular situation it's probably less than ideal.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
You're cool man! I get your point, too.

I just see that a lot (immediately going 'lets just have the character be straight') so I get kind of sensitive to it.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

big dyke energy posted:

Is it crappy, though? One toxic aspect of male heterosexuality is that we (straight guys) are expected to not be able to appreciate good-looking guys for being good-looking. It's a whole thing. Jake being a straight guy who breaks that trend without being the cliched "Oh, that guy's so hot that I would date him!" type has benefits that maybe you're not considering here.

As for bi guys... yeah, I've got a singer in my band who's gay and a lead guitarist who's bi. And against the advice of the older dudes in the band who have experience with intra-band relationships, they fool around with each other every now and then, with the predictable results. Here's the thing: the only people I've ever met who seriously can't understand how a guy can be bi are the singer and some of his gay friends. To them, Guitarist is just in an intermittent state of denial, and he's really gay, because c'mon, bi? That's just a gay guy in denial! (Seriously. After many such hints from them, I outright asked, and this is basically what I was told. Having been married to a bisexual woman for over 20 years and knowing how bisexuality is "understood," this kind of dimmed my view of them.)

So yeah, we need more portrayals of bi men. We don't think twice about putting bi women on TV, but bi men? Hell no! The only one on network TV I can think of is Dotcom, on Blindspot. I'm pretty sure he's bi, maybe gay-leaning but definitely bi. I don't think we need to make Jake Peralta bi. But Boyle? Well... that would explain a lot. Then have a new TV show with a bi dude in it. Normalize it. Because while my opinion as a cismale (ewwww) straight guy may not mean much, even I can see that bi men are by far the least understood and/or represented in the media and in the public at large.

So there. The SA Forum's worst poster has soapboxed about something for which he has no skin in the game. I AM THE INTERNETS!!

Edit: I created this post as other posts were being posted. But still, we do need some more bi men on TV. Representation is important.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Mar 10, 2019

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

big dyke energy posted:

You're cool man! I get your point, too.

I just see that a lot (immediately going 'lets just have the character be straight') so I get kind of sensitive to it.

Yeah, I can understand that. Sorry, I didn't take the time in my main post that I should have to make my point clear and I can absolutely see how you would have had that reaction to it.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Jake being bi has no effect on his character, same with Captain Holt being gay (in the present day, it had a bigger effect and a plot point in the 70s). Diaz being bisexual did because she's incredibly secretive about her personal life and afraid to show it to others, as well as having it be a point of turmoil with her parents. It may not seem as impactful as a male being bisexual but I know plenty of bisexual women who's feelings were dismissed by their parents as a fad or a phase.

Also as others pointed out it's incredibly good to have a straight male appreciate another male's beauty without being labeled as gay or bisexual. Also considering he's married to Amy it would be pretty lovely of him to point out how sexually attracted he is to other people, male or female.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

HookShot posted:

But why? Why can't a guy be straight and accept that some dudes are good looking? Women do it all the time, and yet—
Because—

Whalley posted:

Because I'm bi and the list of bi men on TV can be counted on one hand with enough fingers left to do a Bi Fingergun

big dyke energy posted:

Oh! Ok, we're covered.

And I get your point too. It'd be amazing if it were okay to be queer on this planet. It'd be even cooler if it were okay to the point that gay or bi men were represented so well that having a character lean toward that textually could turn out to be the kind of person who can just acknowledge that other men can be attractive without being attracted to them himself.

But we're so far away from that that people still get murdered for it, so maybe let us queerfolk hope for a little representation, yeah?

Doltos posted:

Jake being bi has no effect on his character, same with Captain Holt being gay (in the present day, it had a bigger effect and a plot point in the 70s).
This is the most straight privileged thing I've seen in at least twenty minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I feel like I missed something in the show that brought this up in the first place, what's the context?