Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Colostomy Bag posted:

Just remember to foil around 160 or so otherwise you end up with too much bark.

:frogout:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Colostomy Bag posted:

Cook to temp, not to time.

This is great advice for smoking meat.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Just remember to foil around 160 or so otherwise you end up with too much bark.

This is horrible advice for smoking meat.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Too much bark? Are you on drugs? Is this a code word for being kidnapped or some poo poo. I mean the words are all English but don't seem to make a sensible sentence.

At 225 I expect my pork butt (fat cap bone in) to take about 2hrs per lb with no crutch. I rarely do a big rear end butt day of, although it impacts flavor / bark.. generally I make my shoulder the day before then toss in crock pot for a few hrs before serving.

Many times I'm doing butts from 6am to 10pm.

If you plan on serving smoked things for dinner. You're planning on getting your rear end up at 5am or earlier. If it's done early you can always shove it in cooler and rest... If it's not done you have hangry guests / significant others.o

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 9, 2019

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

El Jebus posted:

This is horrible advice for smoking meat.

Not at all when doing hot and fast son.

225 let it roll. You running 275-300 enjoy dried out bark.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

Isn't the chance of dry bark negated by the fact it's a shoulder and will likely be shredded anyway? I don't eat pork so I'm unfamiliar with the whole pulled pork scene.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Fall Dog posted:

Isn't the chance of dry bark negated by the fact it's a shoulder and will likely be shredded anyway? I don't eat pork so I'm unfamiliar with the whole pulled pork scene.

You'll just have hard pieces of char in there instead of stuff you can actually chew through.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Who is cooking pulled pork at 275-300?

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

VERTiG0 posted:

This and Meat Church Holy Cow are my favourite for beef.

That is good stuff on beefs for sure!

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Trying to determine how to incorporate Trader Joe's Green Dragon Sauce with smoking.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Fall Dog posted:

I like cooking it to about 190-195 internal temp and serving it as slices of roast pork. It has just enough cohesion to maintain shape but is still super moist and unctuous.

Lets you play with other flavors too, it doesn't always have to be an in your face bark.

Hub Dirt
Apr 26, 2008

Thanks for the feedback on the wsm, friends. Today is my second cook on this thing and I'm real happy with it. It's been sitting at 230 for the last two hours even with string gusts of wind in the area. This thing is beastly and I can't wait to load it up for a cookout.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I. M. Gei posted:

My pork butt is stalling like a motherfucker. It’s been between 156° and 162° for like the past 2 hours. Started it around 1:15 PM at 225°, then I set the pit to 250° about an hour and a half ago.

I wouldn’t think a 3.3 lb pork butt would take this long to cook.

How long total? I just got two little guys (around 4 lbs each) and I'm not sure I've done a butt smaller than like 8 pounds so I have no idea how long to expect.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I was at Scheels yesterday and saw the Big Joe, don't think I'd ever seen any Kamado Joes in person before. I have no idea how well they hold up long term but I was impressed with their hinge and seal, neither of which I like on my Egg.

I also wish I had a 24" of either one of them rather than the Large Egg (18.25") that I have.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

https://myflameboss.com/cooks/407441

And we're off to the races

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Is there any issue with using oven parchment paper instead of butcher paper, or are they the same thing?

Smoking up a 4 lb corned beef point cut for the hell of it. Started at 225F in the MES30, it hit the stall around 150F internal so I wrapped it in the parchment and it's still going and I'll stop it at 200F internal and towel it in the cooler for an hour then cut it. I guess I'll find out how that goes, but curious if paper type made a huge difference or not. Might be a moot point given the tiny cut and all.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I think butcher paper breaths a bit better but I used parchment paper for my last brisket and had no issues

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

So I smoked up some corned beef just to see how it would go. Dried it off the night before and hit it with a rub of paprika, black pepper, onion and garlic powder. It was only a ~3.5 lb cut. As I mentioned above it stalled and I wrapped it in baking parchment and it took another 3-4 hrs to hit 200F. I wrapped it in a towel and put in cooler for another 1.5h.

Couple oddities. For one the pink curing salt really obscures a smoke ring (if there even was one). The smoker was giving off a nice stream of blue smoke the entire time so I think that part was fine. The moistness and tenderness of this is exceptional, its far less dry than any brisket I've had, even very good ones. I think sitting up in the high salt concentration for weeks+ in the corned beef vacuum pack might have altered things a bit. It doesn't really flake apart at all and there wasn't much of a crisp bark either. If I do another one I'll probably just keep it unwrapped and cook it through the stall and see how it dries out.

On the upside there's a very nice smoke flavor to it and it's exceptionally tender and moist.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Congrats on your pastrami, looks good.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

McSpankWich posted:

Congrats on your pastrami, looks good.

Right? It was tasty, pretty different from a brisket. Good enough to do again since St. Patricks day sales in New England means I got a bunch of these for like $1.75 /lb.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

That Works posted:

So I smoked up some corned beef just to see how it would go. Dried it off the night before and hit it with a rub of paprika, black pepper, onion and garlic powder. It was only a ~3.5 lb cut. As I mentioned above it stalled and I wrapped it in baking parchment and it took another 3-4 hrs to hit 200F. I wrapped it in a towel and put in cooler for another 1.5h.

Couple oddities. For one the pink curing salt really obscures a smoke ring (if there even was one). The smoker was giving off a nice stream of blue smoke the entire time so I think that part was fine. The moistness and tenderness of this is exceptional, its far less dry than any brisket I've had, even very good ones. I think sitting up in the high salt concentration for weeks+ in the corned beef vacuum pack might have altered things a bit. It doesn't really flake apart at all and there wasn't much of a crisp bark either. If I do another one I'll probably just keep it unwrapped and cook it through the stall and see how it dries out.

On the upside there's a very nice smoke flavor to it and it's exceptionally tender and moist.

Looks awesome, I would like to try this! You won't get a smoke ring with an electric smoker since the heat isn't coming from combustion. It will still taste the same though!

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Whooping Crabs posted:

Looks awesome, I would like to try this! You won't get a smoke ring with an electric smoker since the heat isn't coming from combustion. It will still taste the same though!
I was under the impression that curing salt basically makes the entire piece of meat into a smoke ring through the same chemical reaction, is that not right?

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Infinite Karma posted:

I was under the impression that curing salt basically makes the entire piece of meat into a smoke ring through the same chemical reaction, is that not right?

Yeah this is right I think. Carbon monoxide (from combustion) binds to heme in blood, preventing oxidation and a pink color which causes the smoke ring. Sodium nitrite curing salt seems to work in the same way, per the Wikipedia meat curing page

quote:

Nitrite further breaks down in the meat into nitric oxide (NO), which then binds to the iron atom in the center of myoglobin's heme group, reducing oxidation and causing a reddish-brown color (nitrosomyoglobin) when raw and the characteristic cooked-ham pink color (nitrosohemochrome or nitrosyl-heme) when cooked. 

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Woah cool I didn't know or suspect at all that it was the same reaction. Neat.

The bark was almost non-existent too. Gonna guess because the meat was just soaked in saltwater for days/weeks before I opened it up. That's why I was thinkin next time don't crutch it at all and see how it works.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Planning to get my first smoker and I’m looking at the Masterbuilt portables. Anyone have first hand experience with these? I think the size is appropriate: just my wife and I, rarely entertain large groups, move every three years. It’s something I would be using at least once a week. I know you can add one of the pellet feeders but also seems like that’s not a huge loss.

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI
Just picked up the 30" Bluetooth MES, first time with an electric smoker. I don't want the Bluetooth, but it was on clearance at Home Depot for $200 new and I couldn't resist.

I know I'll have to micromanage feeding it chips. Anything else I need to keep in mind with one of these? I've done some smoking on a gas smoker before.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Loutre posted:

Just picked up the 30" Bluetooth MES, first time with an electric smoker. I don't want the Bluetooth, but it was on clearance at Home Depot for $200 new and I couldn't resist.

I know I'll have to micromanage feeding it chips. Anything else I need to keep in mind with one of these? I've done some smoking on a gas smoker before.

I've got an MES and I don't really micromanage. Check it every couple of hours to put more chips in and that's about it.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Loutre posted:

I never really felt the need to micro-manage mine. The first few smokes I checked the smoke output every 30-45m until I trusted it and learned it takes about 1.5-2 hours to smoke down a batch of chips in mine.

I'd fill the cup/tray thing with a smidge more than it called for, and dumped them in.

I really need to clean and inspect mine for a new season. I misplaced the cover and it's just been living on the porch under the awning.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Echoing the "you don't need to babysit it." A batch of chips lasts a good amount of time and the majority of the smoke gets absorbed early on, at least from my understanding. I will usually add the starting batch, and maybe 1 or 2 more batches every 2 hours or so, but never really anything more than that.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Loutre posted:

Get a pellet tube or maze which you can light and toss in there for 6 hours. I don't bother with the woodchip tray anymore. It doesn't produce enough smoke.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
I bought some beef ribs earlier in the week with the intention to smoke them last Friday and eat them on Saturday. Well weather was poo poo so I didn't get the smoker out. Now my choice was to wait till Wednesday when the weather turned around to smoke and then freeze them or just freeze them raw to smoker later.

I went with smoking, vacuuming and then freezing. I'll warm them up with the sousvide when we want them in a week or two. It took all my will power not to take a bite out of one but dont think I wasn't licking my fingers though.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Holy crap those look delish...

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
I love beef ribs. They cook so much faster than briskets and are so much easier. And it's a "reasonable" amount of food for two people to share and have plenty of left overs. Briskets require a group of friends.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

^^ and a group of money. I dropped $100 for 12ish lbs of brisket last time I have a big brisket get together. Was tasty as hell and worth every penny...

Mes 30 user here. Don't get the Bluetooth one.. get the black box one and spend the money on a good meat thermometer.

You really don't need to do anything with the temp most of the time other than set to 225 and feed it chips every 1+2 hrs.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Mar 29, 2019

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Pound per pound I would take beef ribs over brisket any day of the week.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I loving love beef ribs, I think when done well they're my all time champion favorite BBQ meat as well.

I'm currently curing a brisket flat for pastrami making, but the lead time on this is just absolute torment. I put it in the fridge to cure on Wednesday, but it's going to a all the way to NEXT Saturday before I get to chow the gently caress down on some pastramis on rye.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Get yourself a AMAZN pellet tube for the MES. It makes a huge difference.

Anyone ever had Dickies BBQ? They opened one near my work so I'm going to go today for lunch and check them out.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Trastion posted:

Get yourself a AMAZN pellet tube for the MES. It makes a huge difference.

Anyone ever had Dickies BBQ? They opened one near my work so I'm going to go today for lunch and check them out.

Dickies is the Panda Express of BBQ. (also served rat poison as sugar)

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
It's been a long, long time since I last went to Dickey's, but they were always medium-low tier bbq. Still tastes good, was worth the price, turkey was the standout of all things. Worth going if you don't have a really good place nearby, just temper your expectations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

atothesquiz posted:

I bought some beef ribs earlier in the week with the intention to smoke them last Friday and eat them on Saturday. Well weather was poo poo so I didn't get the smoker out. Now my choice was to wait till Wednesday when the weather turned around to smoke and then freeze them or just freeze them raw to smoker later.

I went with smoking, vacuuming and then freezing. I'll warm them up with the sousvide when we want them in a week or two. It took all my will power not to take a bite out of one but dont think I wasn't licking my fingers though.

Bruh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Doom Rooster posted:

It's been a long, long time since I last went to Dickey's, but they were always medium-low tier bbq. Still tastes good, was worth the price, turkey was the standout of all things. Worth going if you don't have a really good place nearby, just temper your expectations.

Yeah unfortunately there are only a few BBQ places in the area and none close to work. I could drive to one of the ones I know are good but you never know what the wait will be like so I might drive 15 minutes to get there and not be able to wait for food because of time.

Hasselblad posted:

Dickies is the Panda Express of BBQ. (also served rat poison as sugar)

Rat poison as sugar? First off why are you getting sugar at a BBQ joint?
Second do you have a source for that?