Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
It was also great seeing bakugo's joyus murder face in that one panel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
This chapter was maximum Bakugo and it was great.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i guess if you wanted to kneecap the League then going after Giran would be your best bet, yeah

public profile, little fighting ability, and he's the organization's main supplier

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

giran is cool af

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

So I assume that bit with at the end with Gigantomachia is the League going through some intense training?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rhonne posted:

So I assume that bit with at the end with Gigantomachia is the League going through some intense training?

i think it's more gigantomachia rebelling against the league for not being up to par, he doesn't strike me as the "training" type

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
It reads to me as more of "you'll get stronger and worthy of AfO or die trying and I don't care which".

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Bakugo's bedside manner is a thing of beauty and I hope it never changes, popularity among the population be damned

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I guess the league isn't going to be expanding much after this with no broker to vet people

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Fabricated posted:

I guess the league isn't going to be expanding much after this with no broker to vet people

The League are half a dozen people sitting in a bar talking big and doing next to nothing

It's a wonder they managed to vet anyone

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Vinylshadow posted:

The League are half a dozen people sitting in a bar talking big and doing next to nothing

It's a wonder they managed to vet anyone

bar’s closed. they hang out in factories and lovely warehouses now

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Oxxidation posted:

bar’s closed. they hang out in factories and lovely warehouses now

So after their great-great-great-something grandfather croaked they had to get out of the house since he was paying for it and now they're trying to find a new place to live

Truly, MHA is a story about growing up and leaving the nest

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Fabricated posted:

Depends on how many more old All For One allies are still lurking in the shadows like Gigantomachia was. They might have other people who could do Giran's job. And that's assuming they don't recuse him at some point.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
All we know is that right now they are busy fighting Gigantomachia whilst listening to endless training montage music.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I read the MS translation first and it was really confusing. The JB translation makes way more sense (and has more flavor, to boot).

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Hunt11 posted:

All we know is that right now they are busy fighting Gigantomachia whilst listening to endless training montage music.

unfortunately every single track is bonnie tyler's "holding out for a hero" and the irony is driving shigaraki batshit

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

sliding go is cool

also

kidcoelacanth posted:

giran is cool af

EDIT: i just read the JB translation and they're really different to the point of changing the entire tone of what people are saying. which one is closer to literal?

Patware fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 8, 2019

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Patware posted:

EDIT: i just read the JB translation and they're really different to the point of changing the entire tone of what people are saying. which one is closer to literal?

I couldn't say but JB was far easier to read than MS this week, so I'm guessing that one. Regardless, I may have to read the official version on Monday because these really are quite different from each other.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

The JB translation on stuff like Bakugou's smack talk sounds way more natural and in character, for whatever thats worth.

I finally got around to watching Two Heroes and I can't get over All Might just flexing on a dude in midair before dual punching him, oh my gosh

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i'm more thinking of giran and jokesborne's conversation, they say wildly different things

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

MS was better because "Why don't you crawl back into your dad's ballsack where you came from" is better line than the weak poo poo JB came up with.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Bakugo is certainly the character who benefits the most from an edgier translation bias.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Bakugou's speech is kinda tough to localize because basically by Japanese politeness standards he's being insanely rude, but Japanese doesn't actually have many curse words.

Like when he's translated by scanlators as saying stuff like "gently caress off and die" that's actually pretty accurate as to how his speech would come across.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

Nephthys posted:

MS was better because "Why don't you crawl back into your dad's ballsack where you came from" is better line than the weak poo poo JB came up with.

The JB version makes it seem like Giran is referring to something baldy did early in his career/life, the MS version makes it clear he's telling him to gently caress off (exceptionally well)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
its nice that people are still excited to see all might

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I still don't like it when characters in the children's manga say gently caress, sorry

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

also long-hair dude says COMPLETELY different poo poo, these scenes don't really agree with each other in a lot of subtle interaction ways

since i bet there's people in the thread not reading both, i'll transcribe the liberation guys for easy comparision

Mangastream posted:

JOKERSBORNE: All of the items we're circulating in the black market are being monitored continuously. If things take a turn for the worse, they'll explode, leaving no evidence behind. We're also collecting tons of valuable combat date.
MASKED GUY?: You've certainly got a strong commercial spirit.
LONG HAIR?: This will also help further our cause.
LONG HAIR: Ah... it seems they've already arrived.
JOKERSBORNE: That was quick.
LONG HAIR: You were the one who said "Do so at once." Your words are the words of Destro. You should choose them carefully...
???: We tried searching for his client lists, but came up empty.
???: According to him, he destroyed them all.
???: Oh, how clever!
???: This is the mediator supplying equipment to the League of Villains: The broker, Giran. There's no mistaking that he's got information on the League.
GIRAN: Hehe... you serious? This is quite the surprise... I can't believe you were able to sniff me out. I figured whoever it was must have quite a lot of free time on their hands. And what do you know? Out comes President Baldy from Detnerat.
GIRAN: Y'know, the old man... was real pissed off. And I owe a lot to him from way back when I was an upstart in this business. When a legitimate company tries to break into my market, well...
JOKERSBORNE: How much do you want?
GIRAN: Lemme tell you something. I never enter into a business relationship with anyone until I get a good look at their face. And I only do business wiht the guys who strike my fancy. And I'm afraid a guy who would beat me silly and drag me to his lair doesn't make the cut. Whether or nor I've got info on the League is irrelevant. I'm not leaking a drat thing to a thug like you. What kind of smuggler would sell out his clients? Why don't you crawl back into your dad's ballsack where you came from?
JOKERSBORNE: I think you and I... are going to be great friends.

Jaimini's Box posted:

JOKERSBORNE: All the items we leaked into the black market are... they're responsible for 24-hour surveillance. Any sign of danger and they'll self-destruct without leaving a trace. After all, we are collecting MASSIVE amounts of combat data.
MASKED GUY?: Always the shrewd businessman, I see.
JOKERSBORNE?: All for the advancement of liberation.
LONG HAIR: Oh, it looks like they're here.
JOKERSBORNE: That was quite fast.
LONG HAIR: You told us to "Move out at once," and your words are as good as Destro's. Though it seems that he's not spilling...
???: We searched him, but couldn't find any kind of member list... he says he's already destroyed all the lists.
???: What a thorough guy!
???: As the scout and supplier on the League of Villains, there's no doubt that broker Giran has information on the League.
GIRAN: Heheheh... are you serious... I'm surprised you tracked me down... I was just wondering who could possibly have the free time... to think it would be the balding President of Detnerat Co..
GIRAN: Let me tell ya, old man... I've always resented you. You've been a thorn in my side ever since I started out. The market was a mess thanks to your goody-two-shoes company, y'know.
JOKERSBORNE: How much do you want?
GIRAN: Ya got it all wrong, old man. Business is somethin' ya do face-to-face. I ain't gonna shake hands with anyone I don't like. Guys who gotta resort to violence are no good. Whether I know anything about the League or not, I ain't tellin a thing to you, ya hear. If you wanna ask me where the members are, try askin' yourself where you went wrong in life first.
JOKERSBORNE: It looks like this will be the start... of a fruitful business partnership.

MS's stuff usually gets knocked but the writing quality is way better on their end for this scene, while the previous scene also really feels like Jaimini's taking a lot of liberties with character voice. I really, really wonder which is closer to the literal translation here since it totally shakes up the dynamics. I want to know if Long Hair is chiding Jokersborne in particular because that's really illustrative of the way the group works, since if he is the latter seems completely fine with it happening.

Patware fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 8, 2019

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Yeah, JB did a better job with the first half, but MS's Giran reads way better to me.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

The Lord of Hats posted:

Yeah, JB did a better job with the first half, but MS's Giran reads way better to me.

disagree on the former, though that's just getting into personal preferences. literal translations suck but you can take things too far and end up distorting voice really easily

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

We also have a new Vigilantes today.

Captain Celebrity's big farewell party has begun and surly nothing tragic will happen at all.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Arist posted:

I still don't like it when characters in the children's manga say gently caress, sorry

If there's one thing edgy teenagers love to do it's curse.

This genre has far worse far more frequently anyhow.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

if you're confused, just wait until sunday for the official translations

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

if you're confused, just wait until sunday for the official translations

you're right we shouldn't discuss the manga in the manga thread

nobody's yelling at each other here or calling for character death due to personal reasons

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Characters in this manga have said “gently caress” in English multiple times.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
In the official translations? Not bloody likely.

Just finished the movie. Good stuff.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Fabricated posted:

Bakugou's speech is kinda tough to localize because basically by Japanese politeness standards he's being insanely rude, but Japanese doesn't actually have many curse words.

Like when he's translated by scanlators as saying stuff like "gently caress off and die" that's actually pretty accurate as to how his speech would come across.

that actually sounds very easy to localize, as you demonstrated in your second line.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

So here's an interesting theory I just saw: Uraraka and Bakugou's costumes were both made by the same support company, who put two black dots on their costumes as their signature:

Someone pointed out that the president of Detnerat also has two black dots on his head and he mentioned in this chapter how they're using the items they leaked onto the black market to keep surveillance on the villains using them. The theory is that he may also be spying on UA through Uraraka and Bakugou's costumes.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Motherfucker.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

that would be a loving baller way to close the Traitor Plot loop, holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Patware posted:

you're right we shouldn't discuss the manga in the manga thread

nobody's yelling at each other here or calling for character death due to personal reasons

what