Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Lizard Wizard posted:

Hello, I'm looking for the best audiobook version of the Harry Potter books to listen to while stoned out of one's mind.

Not Wizard People, Dear Reader, that's only the first book

I liked the Jim Dale ones more than the Stephen Fry ones but that's probably because I'm an American and don't really know Fry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

poisonpill posted:

What are the best histories and historical texts in Audible?

All the Robert Caro stuff is good, The Power Broker might be a good place to start. If you're into WW1, I'm listening to A World Undone right now and enjoying it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

poisonpill posted:

What are the best histories and historical texts in Audible?

Not texts per se, but Audible has the Great Courses lectures series on a variety of stuff.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I'm listening to Agincourt right now, and it feels like "Kingdom Come: Deliverance": the Audio Book

Which is cool

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Alikchi posted:

All the Robert Caro stuff is good, The Power Broker might be a good place to start. If you're into WW1, I'm listening to A World Undone right now and enjoying it.

I would second A World Undone. The narration is fantastic, the book itself is rather long, and the text is informative without being dry.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Mister Facetious posted:

Not texts per se, but Audible has the Great Courses lectures series on a variety of stuff.

I've only listened to a couple of these but they were really good!

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

Len posted:

I liked the Jim Dale ones more than the Stephen Fry ones but that's probably because I'm an American and don't really know Fry

Yeah I just got into the series recently and have been tearing through the Jim Dale ones.

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008

my kinda ape posted:

I've only listened to a couple of these but they were really good!

I can't recommend Great mythologies of the world enough. The courses on the Black Death and the Ottoman Empire are worth a look.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

ghouldaddy07 posted:

I can't recommend Great mythologies of the world enough. The courses on the Black Death and the Ottoman Empire are worth a look.

The history of food and the history of the British empire were both great. Although I think the history of the British empire one was perhaps a bit light on criticism but it seemed to be a very good general rundown regardless, as someone who for the most part only knew the very basics of most of it.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

2-for-1 sale at Audible until 3/10

https://www.audible.com/special-promo/2for1

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Dammit. It's pretty much the same selection they always have for these sales.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Currently listening to the totally not based on Shadowrun you guys, really audiobook Minimum Wage Magic, narrated by Emily Woo Zeller.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Seconding the Great Courses series. I work in a public library and we have several shelves of these. The most popular ones seem to the lectures on music (especially the ones by Robert Greenberg, who seems to have done about 90% of the music series).

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

totally not based on Shadowrun you guys, really

Bullshit it's not.

I do love some Emily Woo Zeller, though. The Amazon blurb makes it look like self-published garbage, but I thought that about Magic 2.0, Wool, and The Beam, and I actually enjoyed those.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

The_Other posted:

Seconding the Great Courses series. I work in a public library and we have several shelves of these. The most popular ones seem to the lectures on music (especially the ones by Robert Greenberg, who seems to have done about 90% of the music series).

Robert Greenberg is fantastic.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Hey so I know of two groups that produce free political audiobooks, well one does audio books the other does audiozines.

Audible Anarchist, makes audio books on anarchism and readings of work by Anarchist authors, mostly non fiction but some readings of stories like Ursula K. Le Guin.

It mainly uses YouTube but there is also a podcast version

The second one is Resonance Audio which makes Audiozines, it also publishes on YouTube and via podcasts

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Any recommendations for something on geological history? The history of the earth from 4,000 million years ago to 1000 million years ago with a focus on the scientists who solved key pieces of the history and maybe an examination of the events that we use to categorize the different eras would be perfect, but I'm up for something adjacent to that concept.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Salt Fish posted:

Any recommendations for something on geological history? The history of the earth from 4,000 million years ago to 1000 million years ago with a focus on the scientists who solved key pieces of the history and maybe an examination of the events that we use to categorize the different eras would be perfect, but I'm up for something adjacent to that concept.

"A Short History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson sounds a bit like what you're looking for. It's not specifically geological history, it goes into the Big Bang theory and the evolution of life on earth as well, but also does short biographies of the people who made the discoveries and controversies around them at the time. Written for a layman so no super technical language. I really enjoyed it, although it might not be as in-depth as you want. It's also written by a humor author, so it's also entertaining even though it's not a comedy.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

boxen posted:

"A Short History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson sounds a bit like what you're looking for. It's not specifically geological history, it goes into the Big Bang theory and the evolution of life on earth as well, but also does short biographies of the people who made the discoveries and controversies around them at the time. Written for a layman so no super technical language. I really enjoyed it, although it might not be as in-depth as you want. It's also written by a humor author, so it's also entertaining even though it's not a comedy.

Thanks! That's a great rec. Anything you might also recommend that's at the next level of detail?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I'm at work, but if you type "Great Courses" into Audible's search, there's a handful of lectures in the history and science subjects that go into the larger overview of Earth and more specific topics.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

boxen posted:

I really liked this book when I read it many years ago as a kid. I should probably re-read it and get more out of it.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Listened to Remember the Lobster by David Foster Wallace, one of my favorite audiobooks of all time now. Can you guys recommend anything similar? It's a collection of essays and I feel like that, combined with Wallace's own spot own narration, made them super easy to burn through.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Listened to Remember the Lobster by David Foster Wallace, one of my favorite audiobooks of all time now.

Pulphead by John Jeremiah Sullivan. Similar vibe to Wallace, but with a lot more affection towards the people he meets on his assignments.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

my kinda ape posted:

I really liked this book when I read it many years ago as a kid. I should probably re-read it and get more out of it.

I really enjoyed it too, even though I didn't finish it. I think I got a little past the development of life on Earth until I got busy and forgot about it (so, probably near the end anyway). It reminded me a lot of the newer Cosmos series.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Listened to Remember the Lobster by David Foster Wallace, one of my favorite audiobooks of all time now. Can you guys recommend anything similar? It's a collection of essays and I feel like that, combined with Wallace's own spot own narration, made them super easy to burn through.

"A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never do Again."
It's also narrated by Wallace, and I think its just as strong of a collection of essays.
Pretty much any David Sedaris book is worth listening to if your are more into the idea of writers narrating their own essays, and less into them being more journalistic or literary. His narration is excellent, even if you've read some of his books, I would still recommend giving them a listen.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Anything by David Sedaris

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

High Warlord Zog posted:

Pulphead by John Jeremiah Sullivan. Similar vibe to Wallace, but with a lot more affection towards the people he meets on his assignments.

Awesome, this has been a great recommendation. Sullivan is great, and you're right, the affection comes through and despite the guy's sorta deadpan humour. I really think I prefer authors narrating their own works. The voice actors always seem to sound too flat to me.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

my library had access to sedaris' "the ultimate David sedaris box set" though a digital lending service and it was great and featured some live stage recordings. If you're going to give sedaris a listen on audiobook, I highly recommend that one. It includes all of his earlier stuff

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Eat This Glob posted:

my library had access to sedaris' "the ultimate David sedaris box set" though a digital lending service and it was great and featured some live stage recordings. If you're going to give sedaris a listen on audiobook, I highly recommend that one. It includes all of his earlier stuff

Does it include the stuff he did for NPR back in the day? He did a great sort of "man about Paris" segment when he lived there that I still quote to this day.

Also, please explain your "digital lending service" to the rest of the class.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

XBenedict posted:

Does it include the stuff he did for NPR back in the day? He did a great sort of "man about Paris" segment when he lived there that I still quote to this day.

Also, please explain your "digital lending service" to the rest of the class.

I honestly dont recall. I know for sure it has his santaland diary. It is something like 12 hours. It contains a shitload of stuff, including "me talk pretty" and a bunch of shorter stuff

A lot of brick and mortar libraries have subscriptions to digital lending libraries. In Iowa, my library used a system called "bridges" that uses an app called "Overdrive." They lend out digital copies of books for e-readers and audiobooks.It is an ok system if you have patience because there is some artificial scarcity. I was once 35th in line for some popular book. Oh, I forgot, they lend TV shows and movies too.

It allows you to "check out" 3 books at a time for up to 2 weeks. It got me a ton of shorter books I didnt want to waste an audible credit on cuz I'd knock it out in a day's commuting at 2x speed. It's a service I enjoyed a lot because I had to drive a lot for work and I chew through audiobooks pretty quickly.

My library was in a tiny town with no money, so I cant imagine the licensing fee is all that much. I'm phone posting but I'll try and remember to get you a bit more info.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Eat This Glob posted:

I honestly dont recall. I know for sure it has his santaland diary. It is something like 12 hours. It contains a shitload of stuff, including "me talk pretty" and a bunch of shorter stuff

A lot of brick and mortar libraries have subscriptions to digital lending libraries. In Iowa, my library used a system called "bridges" that uses an app called "Overdrive." They lend out digital copies of books for e-readers and audiobooks.It is an ok system if you have patience because there is some artificial scarcity. I was once 35th in line for some popular book. Oh, I forgot, they lend TV shows and movies too.

It allows you to "check out" 3 books at a time for up to 2 weeks. It got me a ton of shorter books I didnt want to waste an audible credit on cuz I'd knock it out in a day's commuting at 2x speed. It's a service I enjoyed a lot because I had to drive a lot for work and I chew through audiobooks pretty quickly.

My library was in a tiny town with no money, so I cant imagine the licensing fee is all that much. I'm phone posting but I'll try and remember to get you a bit more info.

Cool. Thanks. I've used Overdrive a ton, as well as the newer app, Libby. I was hoping you had some kind of rental service. I'm sick of giving Audible heckiin tonnes of my monies.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

First four Expanse books were amazing; currently a third/halfway through the fifth. Slowed down a bit, but still good.

The 9/11 allegory might've been a bit much.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 4, 2019

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Anyone have an opinion on Book 6 of 'The Expanse' series?

There's a lot of middling reviews, and I'm not sold on it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I am not a Marxist and I may never be a Marxist (never say never) but as a fan of philosophy and history, I am very glad that Ukemi Audiobooks exists. If you do not know they read Free Domain philosophical works and they recently completed Marx's Capital. Capital, for the longest time, only had Volume 1 done by somebody on LibriVox I think so them finally completing this seminal work is a great boon for people like myself who both love philosophy and can't see very well.
https://www.audible.com/search?keywords=marx+capital&ref=a_hp_t1_header_search

More relevant to my own interests though, they made audiobook versions of all of Plato's Dialogues as well as Plotinus' Enneads and they are currently working on Plutarch's Moralia. They got back to me and said Volume 2 is coming this fall or winter but they never specified if Volume 3 (I assume there will be 3 volumes) will be happening. I hope so.

That all being said...the narrator for the Dialogues is great but nobody can ever trump Ray Childs. Ray Childs is the eternal voice of Plato to me.
https://www.audible.com/pd/Platos-A...81XGZX8ESV95MND

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

M.K. Gibson's third book in the Shadow Master trilogy is loving insufferable.
His pop culture references, outright product placement, and fourth wall breaking makes Phipps look positively restrained.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 23:33 on May 12, 2019

Nuurd
Apr 21, 2005

Mister Facetious posted:

Anyone have an opinion on Book 6 of 'The Expanse' series?

There's a lot of middling reviews, and I'm not sold on it.

I don’t remember the details, but I seem to remember thinking it wasn’t out of line with book 5. If you liked that, you’ll probably like 6.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

High Warlord Zog posted:

Alright, I'm done and need more in line with this and David foster Wallace, where you have authors who narrate their own works really well. Any recommendations guys?

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Alright, I'm done and need more in line with this and David foster Wallace, where you have authors who narrate their own works really well. Any recommendations guys?

Neil Gaiman narrates most of his own books, and they're great. Not only does he have an excellent reading voice, he seems to have a style that lends itself to being read aloud.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Kestral posted:

Neil Gaiman narrates most of his own books, and they're great. Not only does he have an excellent reading voice, he seems to have a style that lends itself to being read aloud.

I'll second that. He could make a living reading audiobooks, imo.

e: I also enjoy when Stephen king gets on mic. It helps that when he does a Mainer accent it sounds correct lol. That said, I havent heard his reading of the Dark Tower books. Apparently, his voiceover work for Detta is almost as problematic as the character

Eat This Glob fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
The dark tower was read by guidall before his motorcycle accident then they switched to someone else less good in book 5(?). I don't recall King narrating but maybe he did the chapters he himself was in? It wasn't that much though.