Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Ratzap posted:

My tip would be: make advanced oil your first blue science (lay out pipes and cracking plant in advance) and google the golden ratios for a 10 refinery setup. Working it out yourself will make your temples throb but build your own, don't go straight to a BP (unless you know, that's your thing).

Ok I'm confused. The refineries are working fine and the petroleum gas from them is going to my plastic mfg as expected, but my cracking stuff is all in "Fluid Production Overload" status with the buffer full. What the hell. The pressure? Volume? whatever it displays in the downstream pipe from the Chemical plant is just flickering near zero, and the main pipeline from the refineries is fluctuating between 0 and 8 or so depending on whether the refinery is pulsing output or not. I have a tank buffering the output of the refineries and pumps on the output of everything from the refinery to storage tanks and the chemical plants. I have no clue why it's not working.

I have advanced refining and have the refineries set to that. My light oil tanks are filling up because the cracking is stopped, but the solid fuel from heavy is working fine.

At the destination end of the petroleum gas pipeline, the first two chemical plants are running as fast as possible, but the 3rd plant is running very slowly, and the 4th is stopped as it never fills up with gas. I'm trying to get the cracking online to get more plastic, but the chemical plants won't work on the light oil (or heavy to light). They fill up the buffer but won't output into the pipeline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
You should post an image

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
The closed alpha for Satisfactory just went live. I've got limited time to play it, and the alpha only allows the lower tiers of tech research, but I'm hoping it proves a worthy competitor.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

necrotic posted:

I think 0.17 also made concrete a lower priority for bots, so you can keep up with regular operations and concrete fills in slowly.

I could also be making this up, I don't remember which FFF I think I read it in .

Oh cool, I haven't started a 0.17 game yet, maybe this weekend so I'll check that out.

quote:

Tile construction jobs are being handled by robots separately from entity building jobs, to prevent entity ghosts not being built due to large number of tile ghosts.

Found this in the 0.17.0 patch notes.

Also the mod I was thinking of was Concreep, https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Mylon/Concreep

Electric_Mud fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 8, 2019

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

The Locator posted:

Ok I'm confused. The refineries are working fine and the petroleum gas from them is going to my plastic mfg as expected, but my cracking stuff is all in "Fluid Production Overload" status with the buffer full. What the hell. The pressure? Volume? whatever it displays in the downstream pipe from the Chemical plant is just flickering near zero, and the main pipeline from the refineries is fluctuating between 0 and 8 or so depending on whether the refinery is pulsing output or not. I have a tank buffering the output of the refineries and pumps on the output of everything from the refinery to storage tanks and the chemical plants. I have no clue why it's not working.

I have advanced refining and have the refineries set to that. My light oil tanks are filling up because the cracking is stopped, but the solid fuel from heavy is working fine.

At the destination end of the petroleum gas pipeline, the first two chemical plants are running as fast as possible, but the 3rd plant is running very slowly, and the 4th is stopped as it never fills up with gas. I'm trying to get the cracking online to get more plastic, but the chemical plants won't work on the light oil (or heavy to light). They fill up the buffer but won't output into the pipeline.

Post a screenshot.

Do you have all the pipes set up right? It's possible you maybe dont have the output pipes connected correctly or there's a break in the line or you placed an underground pipe too far? I'm pretty sure they made it harder to mix systems, but make sure you aren't trying to output a refinery into a pipe that's already claimed/marked with a different resource.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

androo posted:

The closed alpha for Satisfactory just went live. I've got limited time to play it, and the alpha only allows the lower tiers of tech research, but I'm hoping it proves a worthy competitor.

Some footage: https://youtu.be/tNGVu7iu-Ik

Factorio still seems like the game for me although that does look pretty good.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I built my factory with a giant forest to the east and now if I want to extend my main bus eastward I need to raze it to the ground.

Would it be better to automate grenade production or just research myself a flamethrower?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Automate grenades. You need them for Military Science packs anyways. They're well worth it in general for tree and biter clearing. You can huck them from cars & tanks.

I was a bit underwhelmed by flamethrowers for tree clearing. Plus you need oil to make the fuel which is way more work then grenades. Still worth researching, I understand flame turrets can be pretty good, and might have flame throwers as a pre-req?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

Post a screenshot.

Do you have all the pipes set up right? It's possible you maybe dont have the output pipes connected correctly or there's a break in the line or you placed an underground pipe too far? I'm pretty sure they made it harder to mix systems, but make sure you aren't trying to output a refinery into a pipe that's already claimed/marked with a different resource.

Lol... I'm a dumbass. I had all the pumps set up properly except for the ones on the output of the crackers, all of which I had backwards. Doh! Plastic manufacturing is now much better, but the output still doesn't seem to be as high as it should be based on adding the crackers vs. just the refineries, but it's probably because my oil field is crappy with 4 nodes and 800% total.

I'll get a screenshot of the mess in a bit.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3

drunkill posted:

Some footage: https://youtu.be/tNGVu7iu-Ik

Factorio still seems like the game for me although that does look pretty good.

It might just be performance issues playing the game at 2K, and the fact that I have a headache already, but running around inside of Factorio is a bit more nauseating than I'd like. I'm putting it down for now.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

The Locator posted:

Lol... I'm a dumbass. I had all the pumps set up properly except for the ones on the output of the crackers, all of which I had backwards. Doh! Plastic manufacturing is now much better, but the output still doesn't seem to be as high as it should be based on adding the crackers vs. just the refineries, but it's probably because my oil field is crappy with 4 nodes and 800% total.

I'll get a screenshot of the mess in a bit.

I'm going to hazard a guess you probably have too many pumps currently, too. Or at least personally the only places I've used pumps were getting stuff on and off trains, and on very long lengths of pipe. You shouldn't need them at the exit/entrances of refineries. Unless I've been doing something wrong.

e: Or well, unnecessary pumps.

Also, fwiw, I think 1 plastic factory can service like 6 red circuits.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Mar 8, 2019

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Oxyclean posted:

I'm going to hazard a guess you probably have too many pumps currently, too. Or at least personally the only places I've used pumps were getting stuff on and off trains, and on very long lengths of pipe. You shouldn't need them at the exit/entrances of refineries. Unless I've been doing something wrong.

Generally you want a pump leaving your storage tanks even if it's a short run to the consumers, otherwise those pipes will only ever be as full as the tank is and it will take longer to fill up the input on the chemical plants or whatever.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Oxyclean posted:

Automate grenades. You need them for Military Science packs anyways. They're well worth it in general for tree and biter clearing. You can huck them from cars & tanks.

I was a bit underwhelmed by flamethrowers for tree clearing. Plus you need oil to make the fuel which is way more work then grenades. Still worth researching, I understand flame turrets can be pretty good, and might have flame throwers as a pre-req?

Funny thing is I had started oil stuff before I even remembered military science was a thing. I started thinking about grenades because I need to clear out space for my red circuit assembly line.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Since we're talking about other Factorio type games, has anyone heard of Factory Town? I just stumbled onto a Let's play of it, it goes to Steam Early Access on Tuesday.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4teFdpLyhco
In the opening he described like "if you mixed Banished and Factorio" and i'm like inject that straight into my veins.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

That looks fkin adorable. I'm completely on board to play something a little simpler than factorio sometimes.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

FISHMANPET posted:

Since we're talking about other Factorio type games, has anyone heard of Factory Town? I just stumbled onto a Let's play of it, it goes to Steam Early Access on Tuesday.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4teFdpLyhco
In the opening he described like "if you mixed Banished and Factorio" and i'm like inject that straight into my veins.

I just started playing Banished for the first time today. I've owned it for years but never installed it. Seems pretty chill. Might have to give Factory Town a try.

e: watching that video worries me about the amount of micromanaging you have to do with your workers.

Oldstench fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 8, 2019

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Oldstench posted:

e: watching that video worries me about the amount of micromanaging you have to do with your workers.

That's basically the equivalent of manually loading your smelters / miners, except it lasts a bit longer. Once you get chutes and conveyor belts workers are basically only used for mining.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

e: Or well, unnecessary pumps.

Thanks. You are probably right, as I was trying to figure out why I had no output and installed a bunch of pumps, but no big deal they just waste power I suppose.

Behold the spaghetti monster!

We start in the far upper left where my meager 4-hold oil field was born with no knowledge or planning at all. Not even remotely compact, but it finally works ok. There is a huge oil field up and left even farther that I found on a bug killing foray, going to have to drive up and clear out that area and claim it as the oil products are getting more and more demand.

From there we move down and right where to where the pipeline ends. As you can see my coal is coming from up to the right now, and further up and right out of the picture is my copper mine and smelter. Unlike my iron from below, I smelt the copper before delivering it to the central area.

Moving down into the mid-section we can see that the original resource area is all but mined out, with no copper mining at all, and only the dregs of the remaining resources, with most of the resources coming from remote locations now. The copper smelting section was completely removed as the plates are all smelted remotely now, and I routed the plates directly to where the old smelter output was.

On the left is my purple research stuff, and even farther left is the beginnings of yellow research as I make small trial bits for each building component needed. Only 2 of 7 are complete at this point.

The bottom of the base where all the iron ore and stone come in to be smelted. Clearer view of the new research trial bits with the blue chips and the lightweight building thingies above them.

Game is fun, and has kept me well occupied for the last couple of days while I've been sick.

I do wish there was some way to see your potential power, rather than sort of showing it as a bouncing line below the 'happy we are receiving full power' line. Several times now I've gone from thinking I had plenty of reserves to realizing that my belts were getting really spotty because I was at like 50% of demand available or something. Really should go work on a new power system, but need to get more oil and/or go get the uranium.

Edit: Fix image links

The Locator fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 8, 2019

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

The Locator posted:

I do wish there was some way to see your potential power, rather than sort of showing it as a bouncing line below the 'happy we are receiving full power' line. Several times now I've gone from thinking I had plenty of reserves to realizing that my belts were getting really spotty because I was at like 50% of demand available or something. Really should go work on a new power system, but need to get more oil and/or go get the uranium.

Edit: Fix image links

It's not great, but it is just if the bar is bouncing around 50% and green then you are making twice as much as needed. If the bar is bouncing around 50% and is yellow, then you are 50% behind demand.

The reason it might feel like you suddenly fell behind in generation is that when you start to brown out, all the machines are starved all at once and want to recharge all at once which means you draw to get started again is much higher than your typical running draw.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

The Locator posted:

Potential power is pretty simple to work out:

• For steam power: 900kw * number of steam engines
  • For solar: 42kw * number of panels, assuming ratio of solar/accumulators is correct
  • Nuclear power is the most complicated due to the neighbor bonus, but the answer is generally "a lot" (a 4 reactor setup can do ~480MW, while 1 rector only does 40MW).

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I built my factory with a giant forest to the east and now if I want to extend my main bus eastward I need to raze it to the ground.

Would it be better to automate grenade production or just research myself a flamethrower?

The answer is actually poison capsules. They wipe out forest in a big area instantly plus they kill worms very effectively (do one pass chucking out poison, wait and come back to clean up minus worms).

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Now that there's no NDA on Satisfactory: it's an awesome awesome game and I can't wait to play with friends. There's some aspects Factorio players may dislike (no attacking hordes, resources don't go away, planet isn't random) but overall it's a really fun game that scratches the hell out of my desire for more Factorio.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Atoramos posted:

Now that there's no NDA on Satisfactory: it's an awesome awesome game and I can't wait to play with friends. There's some aspects Factorio players may dislike (no attacking hordes, resources don't go away, planet isn't random) but overall it's a really fun game that scratches the hell out of my desire for more Factorio.

Agreed.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Also it's $30 for early access and while they will only promise stability with 4 players they're not capping the servers.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Atoramos posted:

I remember seeing trailers on it and dreading the performance - how well does it work, at what sizes of factory, and on what kind of rigs?

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Complications posted:

I remember seeing trailers on it and dreading the performance - how well does it work, at what sizes of factory, and on what kind of rigs?

I'm going to err on the side of caution before saying "It's fine" because I have a relatively strong rig. The only times I noticed serious hits were when I went exploring far reaches in obviously-underdeveloped areas.

Some players have made crazy, multi-story factories and I'm sort of surprised to not see promotional videos showing that off. The game makes great use of the third dimension, with things like observation towers to help you get a top-down view of your factory and foundations that can help you build out each floor. There's racks with ladders to help handle stacking conveyor belts and all sorts of good stuff.

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 8, 2019

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

necrotic posted:

Potential power is pretty simple to work out:

• For steam power: 900kw * number of steam engines
  • For solar: 42kw * number of panels, assuming ratio of solar/accumulators is correct
  • Nuclear power is the most complicated due to the neighbor bonus, but the answer is generally "a lot" (a 4 reactor setup can do ~480MW, while 1 rector only does 40MW).

I was playing with steam turbines with boilers, so they weren't making their 'max' power, but they were definitely making more than the steam engines. If they would just show the power output at the current temperature rather than at optimum temperature, it would be just math!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
So I just got a satisfactory alpha key so I guess i'll try it out even though I was annoyed by having to use the epic installer.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Complications posted:

For me, it runs smooth as butter. Looks pretty without being graphically intense. A decent rig ought to have no problem. (for comparison's sake, last week, "Space Engineers" was having a free weekend and it ran like poo poo on my rig).

Your first automated miners run indefinitely with no fuel or power, but they can't output to a conveyor belt. The first few portions of the game are getting enough basic resources processed to unlock all the factory stuff like automated mining, smelting, constructing, bit by bit until the reigns finally come off.

Need to play more to give more detailed analysis but so far, so good.

EDIT: Oh, and the basic crafting bench in Satisfactory lets you smelt ore into ingots straight off by hand, so if you completely run out of power you still won't be helpless to craft new stuff. which is nice. So far my only power generation options are burner generators that turn compost into electricity, hope I can unlock solar or something else soon. If your power grid overloads, the fuses blow and you have to pull a big switch to turn it on again (assuming you fixed what was taking too much power, haha)

Speedball fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Mar 9, 2019

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I believe biomass generators are the only options for power in the weekend alpha. Coal power is in T4 IIRC.

E: vvvv in one of my maps I just ran 1km of belt to get the coal back to home base. That save now rests in pieces because they changed the footprint of coal plants.

carticket fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 9, 2019

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
There is Coal in tier 4 but you don't get a train at that point, instead it's a Factorio style car which you can record automated paths with and it can load from a depot. It had poo poo efficiency with Biofuel and I found it to be a pain due to conveyors not being floor level. The coal is in some really weird spots that I think are supposed to force you to conveyor them out to a depot.

The space elevator is a pain in the rear end due to it's footprint and I'm not sure where best to put it. It's hilarious that you still have a base marker on your compass after placing possibly one of the biggest structures in an FPS game. Turn around until you locate the mile high cable...

Carecat fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Mar 9, 2019

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

According to the description the truck also has its own crafting bench installed. I think biofuel is only a stopgap measure unless you find a way to automatically plant and then harvest wood and leaves and whatnot. If there's a machine for putting fuel into the truck to automatically refuel it (such as with coal) that'd be pretty great, but this alpha does not go that far.

Still, though, this game is way way WAY more polished than anything else in its genre. I'm loving it for that alone.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

The Locator posted:

I was playing with steam turbines with boilers, so they weren't making their 'max' power, but they were definitely making more than the steam engines. If they would just show the power output at the current temperature rather than at optimum temperature, it would be just math!

Yeah steam trubines aren't really meant to work with boilers but technically they can. Steam engines are much simpler with boilers as it's a 1:2 ratio but with turbines it's an irregular ratio.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I was going to get in on the satisfactory thing too but oddly my email address already had an account set up on it. I recovered it and it was set to Thailand with an odd name. I changed the password, set up 2FA and sent their CS a query. I don't want to stick card details in to buy anything until they can tell me it's safe.

The Locator posted:

Those are for the nuclear reactors and the boilers they get, don't use them for coal fired setups, just use the normal 900kw ones. 20 boilers to 40 engines is a decent ratio and fairly simple to lay out.

BTW, don't spend too much time prettying your base. Once you reach the end of blue science you'll want to pretty much tear it down and start again. Personally I turn the start area into a mall and build a new base for end game science/rockets.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

The Locator posted:

The only differences between turbines and steam engines:
  • turbines can process 60 steam/second instead of 30
  • steam engines can't extract any extra energy from steam above 165 degrees C
  • turbines cost way more resources to build
Notably, boilers output at exactly 165 degrees, so one steam turbine works exactly the same as two steam engines back-to-back.
Nuclear reactor heat exchangers make much hotter steam, though, so you actually do need turbines to get the most out of it.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Ratzap posted:

BTW, don't spend too much time prettying your base. Once you reach the end of blue science you'll want to pretty much tear it down and start again. Personally I turn the start area into a mall and build a new base for end game science/rockets.

Haha... I never rebuilt anything other than as needed locally and I'm into all 6 research colors now. I'm not rushing against any sort of time barrier, I've cleared out the biters away from my pollution cloud and my tendency in games like this is to prioritize research over expansion, which is pretty much how I've played this first game. Learning a lot about how things fit together so I might be able to make a much neater and more flexible factory next time.

Edit:

*sniff*... so many pretty colors...

The Locator fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Mar 9, 2019

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

How :airquote:experimental is .17 proving to be so far? I saw they've already had one extra patch on

(e) barring bugfixes wasn't this the last one before 1.0?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
There are a bunch of weird bugs but nothing critical and they're patching it very fast, they've done 9 patches since launch. I think they were planning for this to be the last one but who knows.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Locator posted:

Haha... I never rebuilt anything other than as needed locally and I'm into all 6 research colors now. I'm not rushing against any sort of time barrier, I've cleared out the biters away from my pollution cloud and my tendency in games like this is to prioritize research over expansion, which is pretty much how I've played this first game. Learning a lot about how things fit together so I might be able to make a much neater and more flexible factory next time.

Edit:

*sniff*... so many pretty colors...

I'm going to blow your mind with this, but you can feed science from one research lab into another with an inserter. You don't need to run belts to all your labs, just the first one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

I'm going to blow your mind with this, but you can feed science from one research lab into another with an inserter. You don't need to run belts to all your labs, just the first one.

Yeah, first time I saw someone create a giant pyramid of labs taking and feeding science bottles to each other in a network I went apeshit. "You can DO that?!"