Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My theater won't sell booze at 11 am.

Also known as the most bullshit ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Why I really liked with Talos is he's depicted as just a little too goofy a villain to take seriously, but is still charming enough. Then in the last half hour of the movie, we're actually allowed to enjoy him.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Cowards.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Sneak a pint in

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My folks started watching the MCU stuff after renting GotG and they don't care about the lore or continuity (they saw IW without seeing like, anything relevant before it and still liked it) because they are fun action comedies with likable characters played by good actors. I was talking to my mom today and she said that she wanted to see the new Marvel movie but my dad looked and the critics like it a lot but the fans hate it. So I had to explain all THAT business over the phone to the world's least-online person.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gavok posted:

Why I really liked with Talos is he's depicted as just a little too goofy a villain to take seriously, but is still charming enough. Then in the last half hour of the movie, we're actually allowed to enjoy him.

i really loved Talos. Everyone who gets time in the movie is really enjoyable.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Monica and Maria are both cool as hell, and I’m hoping there’s a possibility we see them both in Endgame

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
i enjoyed it but thought it was easily the weakest MCU film since age of ultron. action setpieces were pretty lacking, as were the visuals (for a movie involving lots of crazy cosmic stuff, it's pretty drab). Also just didn't really find Carol a terribly compelling character, but I can't tell how much of that is the script vs. Larson's performance

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I quite liked Larson's performance and Carol as a character which was impressive because I've never really enjoyed the character in the books. That was the most impressive part of the movie to me, along with Talos.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Wonderful film. The gender flip will no doubt enrage even more chuds.
Only misstep in my opinion was the song choice for the big fight.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

that's why i bring a flask

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They sell booze! Why would I need to bring my own?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Because apparently they don't before 11am

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
THERE WERE NO GODDAMNED SIGNS ANYWHERE.

I got in the line and a girl walked down and said "yeah we don't open this line until 11.

The most ultimate bullshit.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Teenage Fansub posted:

Sash. Nope. She just gets her green Kree suit recolored like it is on the poster for the third act.
Gemma Chan not big. She's on Carol's Kree team for an opening mission as a sniper and then shows up again when they track her down. She says "I never liked you" and gets beaten in a fight. A little more to do than any of the Kree team besides Jude Law, but it's not much.

All that is a big :smith:

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Wait, hold on.

They sell booze in theatres in the US?

No wonder ya'll are so noisy

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

McCloud posted:

Wait, hold on.

Only at good ones

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Only at good ones

Pretty much every chain theater (Regal, AMC etc) sell booze now.

CM wasn't flawless as many have said but hot drat if it isn't a fantastic origin story and a ton of fun on top of that.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Gavok posted:

Much like Last Jedi gave us that gif of Luke dusting off his shoulder, I feel the big gif of this movie will be Carol slamming her fist into her palm and a huge energy shockwave comes out of her.

Also a big fan of Carol straight up excitedly bodychecking through an entire oncoming space ship.

The gif should be Law going "debate me!" and then Carol blasting him into next Tuesday.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

McCloud posted:

Wait, hold on.

The best shake I’ve ever had was at an Alamo drafthouse.

The King
Vanilla bean ice cream
Peanut butter
Banana chunks
Banana rum
Candied bacon

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

site posted:

Because apparently they don't before 11am

Also it's cheaper. My theater sells booze, but I'm already dropping 20 bucks on snacks, I'm gonna bring my own booze to mix.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They sell a couple hard ciders which is pretty much all I drink at this point. Kind of hard to smuggle three bottles into a theater.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Bloody Marys should be available whenever wherever.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Well, Captain Marvel was both Cool and Good.

I feel Larson's perhaps the strongest casting since RDJ back in 2008. I really liked her just zapping Yon-Rogg at the end rather than giving him the climatic fistfight he demanded - she'd just bodychecked a Kree warship, so she really didn't have to prove anything (not to mention it would have been totally anticlimatic). Samuel L. Jackson was excellent as young Agent Fury - the deaging CGI was excellent, and it was cool to see him not as the near-omniscient spymaster but as a (still highly competent) field agent in over his head. I'd happily watch a Nick Fury, Agent of Shield movie (it could even be a buddy cop-style piece with Coulson!). The twist with the Skrulls being definitively not villainous was a pleasant surprise - I'm sure a lot of people were expecting Secret Invasion down the line, but it was nice to deconstruct expectations.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
So just to be sure: there was absolutely no explanation given for why there was a Flerken at the Pegasus base, right? Literally was not explained at all? Best potential guess is that it belonged to Mar-Velle, except we have no way of actually knowing that because they just left it completely up in the air?

'Cuz that's amazing. :allears:

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Just got back from Captain Marvel and I really enjoyed it. Glad they sort of axed a secret invasion plotline. I don't really like that whole "is this person really themself?" thing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BrianWilly posted:

So just to be sure: there was absolutely no explanation given for why there was a Flerken at the Pegasus base, right? Literally was not explained at all? Best potential guess is that it belonged to Mar-Velle, except we have no way of actually knowing that because they just left it completely up in the air?

'Cuz that's amazing. :allears:

It was explained, there was a scene in the film no less.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Rhyno posted:

It was explained, there was a scene in the film no less.

There was? I must have missed it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

In the flashback. It's just not out right said, but it's pretty clear who it belongs too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
One of the flashbacks show Lawson holding Goose and saying "he likes you" to Carol

Also, Annette Benning being who she was is a great twist and once that spoiler is out there the CHUDS are gonna lose their poo poo all over again.

Saeka
Jul 2, 2007

I'm a man that loves the simple things. Sunhats. Boba. Dresses.

Carol was amazing.
Fury was amazing.
Talos was amazing.

I really liked the characters in this. They felt like people and not quip-machines.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Even Carol's quips I thought worked because they felt more like knowingly corny attempts to gently caress with people than legitimate efforts to be funny or cool.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
must...wait...till sunday... :negative:

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Yeah, Carol really worked as a poo poo starter and I enjoyed that part of her character

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Just saw Captain Marvel.

I am extremely amused now by the folks who think this is propaganda for the US military.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Aquaman came out so i gave that a shot, it's kind of a trip how the movie always has SO MUCH going on visually but i found myself constantly getting bored with the story

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

:getin:

Rhyno posted:

Also, Annette Benning being who she was is a great twist and once that spoiler is out there the CHUDS are gonna lose their poo poo all over again.

As if 90% of the guys complaining even read comics or could name a character not named Batman or Punisher.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I liked how once you got to the twist that the Skrulls are not bad guys they stuck with it and never had them turn out to be evil also.

One thing I thought was kind of weird was having Clark Gregg in it seeing as his character was barely in the movie.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Fangz posted:

Just saw Captain Marvel.

I am extremely amused now by the folks who think this is propaganda for the US military.

The movie isn't but I guess in order to get the jets they had to produce some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Teenage Fansub posted:

The movie isn't but I guess in order to get the jets they had to produce some.

Like I said earlier, not really.