Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

RBX posted:

Can we just leave DmC in the dumpster already and never bring it up again

I would say that it's main fault is that it was both try hard and gave a poo poo. The people in DMC5 are completely effortless goofs that do not give a poo poo, they are living their best life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Mulva posted:

I would say that it's main fault is that it was both try hard and gave a poo poo. The people in DMC5 are completely effortless goofs that do not give a poo poo, they are living their best life.

I reckon I've laughed at every cutscene because all of the PCs are such impish jerks when you're not in control. You're playing as the dickhead end boss of any other game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think the difference between Nero walking up to the main antagonist and shouting "Hey douchebag I'm back" in DMC 5, and DmC Donte pointing at the grody slime boss and shouting "gently caress You™", is that the main series isn't mean spirited about it. DmC has this strange cynical and mean spirited atmosphere that the game would've been much better off without. More stuff like the swimming through the air naked to reach a pizza thing, less stuff like That Scene with Vergil and the sniper rifle.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I've missed almost every single secret room with the exception of the gimme tutorial and 9.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
DmC opens with Donte Fuckin' Mad Girls Yo, and therefore misses the point of Dante completely fro mthe get-go.

Also it has a middle stretch that's extremely boring and uneventful, a final fight that's tacked on and literally no supporting cast other than Vergil because The Girl is Kyrie-levels of non-entity.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

exquisite tea posted:

I've missed almost every single secret room with the exception of the gimme tutorial and 9.

That's what I like to call replay value

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I feel like every time there was a branching path I took the path that progressed the game so far. I literally haven't found a single secret mission, which is kinda amazing.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I’ve not played a single DMC title, yet this looks fun. Will a story recap do for a first timer or will I be completely lost if I don’t play a previous game?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Anti-Hero posted:

I’ve not played a single DMC title, yet this looks fun. Will a story recap do for a first timer or will I be completely lost if I don’t play a previous game?

The game has a short story recap in the menu. It's not a complex tale so just watch that and start killing monsters

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Anti-Hero posted:

There's a 5 minute catch-up video on the main menu, it'll set you up.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
You don't come for the story. But it has an ingame text dump of the series so far anyway.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The story recap should be fine. There'll be things you can miss unless you've played previous games but its mostly little references and maybe some music cues, the recap covers everything you need to know.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Anti-Hero posted:

Ive not played a single DMC title, yet this looks fun. Will a story recap do for a first timer or will I be completely lost if I dont play a previous game?

Game's literally got a little movie covering the previous games' events, that should catch you up. This ain't KH, it's pretty simple and straightforward.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Speaking of which, it's hilarious how short the recap sections for 2 and the anime were.

"And also these happened I guess"

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Thanks all. The story didn’t look too deep, but wanted to check all the same. Now to debate grabbing it or waiting for Sekiro...

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Already have the deluxe edition downloaded but haven't got the time to play it.

Would recommend anyone interested in the dev of DMC5 check this interview. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74x-j4Xk47o

Pretty fascinating, they wanted to put the motorcycle in dmc2/dmc3/dmc4 but they didn't manage to.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Dias posted:

I feel like every time there was a branching path I took the path that progressed the game so far. I literally haven't found a single secret mission, which is kinda amazing.

Hold down the left stick button every time you come to a split path (which is what I do lol). It'll turn the camera down the right direction so you can then go the other way on purpose.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'm currently playing the angelo fight with Dante and we've reached the point in every DMC game where I'm obsessed with royal guarding and/or countering a bosses every move. So I've replayed that fight like 10 times.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

V loving rips rear end to play as i love it i'm banging out SSS combos everywhere zipping across the field to do final blows while calling down lightning sending tentacle panthers at people and dropping golems on everyone all at the same time

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
RE V and the Artemis refight: gently caress you and gently caress this stupid cat.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That stage feels like it's meant to be tackled in a specific order since I accidentally picked Griffon against cavaliere and proceeded to have my rear end eaten by him until i restarted and picked Shadow against goliath starting out and then Griffon into Artemis fuckin kicks her s
rear end

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

If you stand still for a while as Dante, he falls asleep standing up lol

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
My muscle memory for Nero is actively loving me up as I keep trying to Max Act and forgetting I haven't bought it yet. And some of his other ones.

Playing on on Devil Hunter, and the difficulty seems pretty okay - bosses so far are pretty cool, and there's some nice callbacks.

V is very interesting to play as - does feel a bit spammy sometimes, but it's pretty fun. Seeing Shadow and Griffin with all their DMC1 moves under your control is loving awesome. Haven't got to Dante's section yet, just going at my own pace checking things out - and trying to read some of the background signs - adverts for Mallet Island, Gloria's Garden, Devil May Café, Smokin' Spicy Sandwiches (IIRC).

Pretty loving dope so far.

---
Re DmC - not only did its tone rub people the wrong way, but the actual gameplay and mechanics were a massive step back for the series - okay for an action game, and generally deeper than most, but lots of bad design decisions, shallower combat, and a complete lack of balance. Some of those problems were rectified in the definitive editon...by making it closer mechanically to the older DMC games. Kinda.

Also the story was insultingly bad, and worse, it was so loving boring and po-faced, outside of like, three cutscenes. And the devs put a lot of focus on the story and narrative.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Captain Baal posted:

That stage feels like it's meant to be tackled in a specific order since I accidentally picked Griffon against cavaliere and proceeded to have my rear end eaten by him until i restarted and picked Shadow against goliath starting out and then Griffon into Artemis fuckin kicks her s
rear end

Yeah, I did Shadow into Cavaliere, which was okay but it died a lot so I picked Nightmare against Artemis and holy poo poo that stupid cat and this stupid eldritch runaway. Had to use a Gold Orb.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Okay 17/20 missions done is a good place to call it for one night. I think I underestimated myself starting on Human, either that or it's intended to be really easy for newcomers. I'll finish out the campaign then get into some of the harder stuff!

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Okay 17/20 missions done is a good place to call it for one night. I think I underestimated myself starting on Human, either that or it's intended to be really easy for newcomers. I'll finish out the campaign then get into some of the harder stuff!

That's how I always start DMC anyway. I think you will actually have a better learning curving than just starting off on hard.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

DmC SE is a perfectly fine game if you wanna kill some demons, the rest has nothing to do with DMC though.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Speaking of the difficulties, if I restart on hard in the middle of a playthrough on easy, Can I just go back to where I was on Human via mission select when I'm ready to continue? You don't need to play it all the way through in one shot, correct?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
That's how it's always been in DMC, I would expect it to be the same here.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

So everyone else has rebound the attack buttons on V, right? Because the default keybinding is like DMC4 Blue Rose level of bad.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
V has been pretty fun so far but I am still having a hard time with the targeting, which makes Shadow sometimes unreliable. I think it's too much DMC4 muscle memory since it always targeted who you were dating and I think this targets where you point the camera? Also, I'm having trouble with Shadow's High Roller equivalent-- he never seems to be close enough to his target to reliably follow up on it in the air?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

go into nico's shop to rev up your ps4's ex-gauge

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I nearly beat the prologue boss battle if I didn't mess around. Has anybody else done it yet?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I suppose this is technically spoilers for a fight, but the title nor the lyrics particularly give anything away, so just avoid the comments I guess, which you should be doing anyway when dealing with YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xR8tTOL6Yi8

I love this remix of Devil Trigger so much.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Vikar Jerome posted:

Itsuno-senpai likes DmC: Devil May Cry and really wants to make DmC2: Devil May Cry II.

Lucia is now a scene chick who's introduced doing molly in the bathroom of a club while cosplaying as a sexy nun.

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

Man this game fuckin rules

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

RBX posted:

I nearly beat the prologue boss battle if I didn't mess around. Has anybody else done it yet?

I beat the prologue after beating the game. It seems like it's insanely difficult to do with no arm like at the start of the game but post game Nero can burst down all of his health as soon as his shield is down.

You get a pretty funny resolution and credits sequence and a trophy for doing it

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I almost did on a fresh new save on PS4. I kinda wanna just restart and actually do it.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I watched a review and I think I'm going to buy this. The combat system looks similar to God of War 2018, is that a fair assessment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Anti-Hero posted:

I watched a review and I think I'm going to buy this. The combat system looks similar to God of War 2018, is that a fair assessment?

In no way shape or form. It's much better.