Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

pahuyuth posted:

Are the buffs to Vi gonna impact her in a meaningful and good way?

They aren't even buffs overall! Yeah her clear is ever so slightly stronger early (was not really even an issue!) but her damage ratios are worse her ult CD was dinged again for no reason and she still has the same issues holding her back that she's had forever (q self slow still why? the most telegraphed ability in the game that is impossible to hit without flash, also you do no dmg if you miss it lol, champ is useless without ult, falls off hard one you can no longer one shot squishies).

She needs a real rework and not...whatever the gently caress this is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

pahuyuth posted:

Probably a little, although I doubt it'll push her into competitive play. She was already pretty good in solo queue by virtue of her clearing fast and having an almost guaranteed gank at level 6. The changes don't hurt her midgame damage that much (assuming you were going a pretty standard Warrior -> Tri build) and make her teamfighting and 1v1 dueling much better. Patch day numbers are putting her at a little above her 9.3 winrate, but with a much higher pickrate, which points towards her being in a reasonable spot. We'll see how the numbers shake out over the next two weeks, though.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Can we take a moment to appreciate the loading screen art?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
why are there two arts for basically the same skin

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Verviticus posted:

why are there two arts for basically the same skin

"prestige"

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

pahuyuth posted:

Vi was suffering from the classic Riot balance decisions, they put too much good stuff into her kit and obliterated her numbers so nobody would use her again because of course there can only by 5 useful junglers at any given time but she's sneaked into being playable again.

The changes on their own aren't going to make her OP but she's cycling in slowly by process of having most other viable junglers nerfed. She still might not see competitive play this season but in Solo Queue she can be a pubstomp again.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

RealFoxy posted:

Vi was suffering from the classic Riot balance decisions, they put too much good stuff into her kit and obliterated her numbers so nobody would use her again because of course there can only by 5 useful junglers at any given time but she's sneaked into being playable again.
I don't think you can really say she has 'too much good stuff' in a world where Camille exists. Heck even on release she was only better than J4 because her damage was absurdly overtuned.

The stat sites seem to indicate that the patch was a decent buff; I kinda assumed it would be because reddit was adamant that it was a gigantic nerf and they are, as a rule, always wrong.

misguided rage fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Mar 7, 2019

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

daily reminder that kindred are two people and not to be referred to as a singular entity, the sheep girl is called lamb and the wolf is wolf.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

pog boyfriend posted:

daily reminder that kindred are two people and not to be referred to as a singular entity, the sheep girl is called lamb and the wolf is wolf.

Same but Nunu&Willump

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

pog boyfriend posted:

No, the actual name is DeerDog, and neither deer or dog are people

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I just checked out the kayle/morgana promotion and wow, I don't know what to think about what they did to Morgana but I'm digging the sibling rivalry.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

misguided rage posted:

I don't think you can really say she has 'too much good stuff' in a world where Camille exists.

Yeah. Her big problem historically has been twofold:
  • Her role has been fulfilled better by other champions. If you need an early ganker that transitions into an engage tank, you pick J4. If you need someone to get into the backline and pick a single target, you take Camille or Nocturne.
  • Her kit has lacked the tools needed to succeed outside of a one-dimensional "build AD and assassinate people" style. Diving into 5 people with her R was usually a death sentence.
The changes help by increasing her sustained survivability and giving her a stronger teamfight niche. R clears a corridor into the backline now if you're able to hit enough people with it, and the additional stun and displacement helps mitigate some of the immediate damage you otherwise would've taken. These changes also let you build somewhat more tanky and still do fine, and you don't feel as poo poo as before if you end up falling behind. Again, I doubt they'll push her into competitive viability - you'd need to completely replace W with a new skill for that, a task that's fraught with peril - but they seem to be giving her a nice bump in solo queue and some broader appeal, which is likely what August was aiming for.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Day 2 Kayle report: this champ's probably gonna be a big balancing headache, depending on what their goals with her are and how much item/rune build experimentation there is. She's effectively a low Elo pubstomp champ with how much of her power curve is backloaded into her 16 transformation. Most hyperscalers actually end up having bad winrates in lower MMR divisions because of how hard it is to keep the game from going pear-shaped and the mechanical skill required, but Kayle's such a monster on her final transformation and has such a low effective skill floor that her highest winrate is all the way down in Iron. I suspect this'll even out somewhat once people get more used to her, but it's starting to point towards her curve being a touch too severe to survive in MMRs where your lane opponent and their jungler know how to abuse you, games don't regularly stretch to 30+ minutes, and people are playing champions like Jax that absolutely crush her.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Vermain posted:

Day 2 Kayle report: this champ's probably gonna be a big balancing headache, depending on what their goals with her are and how much item/rune build experimentation there is. She's effectively a low Elo pubstomp champ with how much of her power curve is backloaded into her 16 transformation. Most hyperscalers actually end up having bad winrates in lower MMR divisions because of how hard it is to keep the game from going pear-shaped and the mechanical skill required, but Kayle's such a monster on her final transformation and has such a low effective skill floor that her highest winrate is all the way down in Iron. I suspect this'll even out somewhat once people get more used to her, but it's starting to point towards her curve being a touch too severe to survive in MMRs where your lane opponent and their jungler know how to abuse you, games don't regularly stretch to 30+ minutes, and people are playing champions like Jax that absolutely crush her.

kayle, ideally, would be a seasonal champion — one that only sees play when the meta slows down. if riot tries to force kayle into being viable in faster metas they will constantly have to buff and nerf her to keep her in play without being stifling. no idea if riot has the courage to make a rework like that, so expect knee jerk buffs soon or next patch ?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I think at least some of the issues would be solved by cutting some frames off all the animation delay. Playing an autoattack-reliant champion who has this much delay using an ability before being able to autoattack feels really bad.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Mikujin posted:

"prestige"

Riot so smart, they evolved the ideas of chromas into prestige but with a bit more effort then charge way more.

Vermain posted:

I think they she will be fine even in higher elos. Kayle's ult was always good enough to make her a good counter for Assassins but now her ult is EVEN BETTER and she has aoe DPS. I do think pre5/6 she is pure garbage but she scales super hard.

I never liked Kayle in soloq though because you pretty much have to use your ult on yourself since without communication you can have someone flashing out as you ult them.

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

:ffg:
EAT THE DONUTS
:ffg:

Ulio posted:

Riot so smart, they evolved the ideas of chromas into prestige but with a bit more effort then charge way more.

I think they she will be fine even in higher elos. Kayle's ult was always good enough to make her a good counter for Assassins but now her ult is EVEN BETTER and she has aoe DPS. I do think pre5/6 she is pure garbage but she scales super hard.

I never liked Kayle in soloq though because you pretty much have to use your ult on yourself since without communication you can have someone flashing out as you ult them.

Kayle in solo q is basically telling your team "yeah uhh please don't die in a 4v5 for 25 minutes while I farm to 16" which is a recipe for tilting your team super hard.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
a man can dream that kayle being a hyperscaling carry means that pro players will actually have to try and win the game rather than sit back and not lose until the enemy team makes a mistake, but A: kassadin already exists and B: pro league is a 95% solved game and the solved position is everybody farming and nobody fighting because the first person to pick a fight will lose 95% of the time

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

ungulateman posted:

a man can dream that kayle being a hyperscaling carry means that pro players will actually have to try and win the game rather than sit back and not lose until the enemy team makes a mistake, but A: kassadin already exists and B: pro league is a 95% solved game and the solved position is everybody farming and nobody fighting because the first person to pick a fight will lose 95% of the time

*laughs in Griffin*

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

ungulateman posted:

wow, so you're the person who lost korea worlds

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

ungulateman posted:

this isn't really that true and hasn't been for at least a season or two but ok fam

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The State of Ranked report is out. The tl;dr:
  • Position ranks are dead due to overwhelmingly negative feedback on the grindiness involved. Although positional matchmaking has improved substantially and will be kept on, they're ending the preview in NA/KR and reverting your rank to whatever your highest position rank was.
  • Due to a bunch of glitches that allowed people to get to much higher MMRs than their winrates should've allowed, there'll be a partial ladder reset: Master, Grandmaster, and Challenger players are reset to Masters 0 LP and Diamond players are dropped one division, floored at Diamond IV.
Good on them for going back on position ranks once it became obvious too many people disliked the system. I think it was a nice idea, but it simply clashed too much with ranked's core drive (getting as high a rank as possible). The partial reset on the ladder is also the right way to go. This is definitely not the same dev team that brought us a season of dynamic queue.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Vermain posted:

The State of Ranked report is out. The tl;dr:
  • Position ranks are dead due to overwhelmingly negative feedback on the grindiness involved. Although positional matchmaking has improved substantially and will be kept on, they're ending the preview in NA/KR and reverting your rank to whatever your highest position rank was.
  • Due to a bunch of glitches that allowed people to get to much higher MMRs than their winrates should've allowed, there'll be a partial ladder reset: Master, Grandmaster, and Challenger players are reset to Masters 0 LP and Diamond players are dropped one division, floored at Diamond IV.
Good on them for going back on position ranks once it became obvious too many people disliked the system. I think it was a nice idea, but it simply clashed too much with ranked's core drive (getting as high a rank as possible). The partial reset on the ladder is also the right way to go. This is definitely not the same dev team that brought us a season of dynamic queue.

aw man, that kind of sucks, i thought positional ranks are cool. my ideal scrapped implementation would be you still have overall ranks, but then you are broken down based off your positional MMR, so you can see “i am a 1900 MMR adc, 1400 MMR mid laner,” etc. could be a fun way to give the players more metric to improve

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

What was the negatives? I didn’t really notice much of a difference other than having to start much lower than I did at the end of last season.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Invalid Validation posted:

What was the negatives? I didn’t really notice much of a difference other than having to start much lower than I did at the end of last season.

Climbing became an insane grind if you played Fill or took a popular role like Mid as your main role, since it'd give you your secondary role frequently and force you to play a much larger percentage of games to get to the same combined division.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Yea guess that makes sense, I play support so I never fill.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Invalid Validation posted:

i am willing to bet too many players felt the personal need to grind up their rank in all five roles

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

rabidsquid posted:

i am willing to bet too many players felt the personal need to grind up their rank in all five roles

I was doing that to try and get every role into the same tier, but I personally enjoyed it. Gave me a reason to play more roles and a more diverse champion pool. It’s actually the most engaging climbing ranks has been in a few seasons for me.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Or, if you traded roles too often, it hosed with how you gained LP per role

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I haven't played too much this season but I'm pretty bummed about this, I really wanted to play ranked as a jungler to actually learn how to jungle without loving with my support rank.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
yeah thats pretty disappointing. was looking forward to learning other roles in ranked without having to worry about tanking my mmr. guess ill just do it if i get to diamond this season

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i refuse to learn but i did want to jungle badly

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

pog boyfriend posted:

“i am a 1900 MMR adc, 1400 MMR mid laner,” etc. could be a fun way to give the players more metric to improve

That was the goal of the profile->stats feature. Give you per queue/champion/role stats so you can see where you are strong or weak across lots of different dimensions. Compare against higher ranks and see "oh master support thresh players roam more than I do, maybe that's something I can improve"

It's pretty information-dense and explicitly doesn't say "do this better you dummy", but there's a lot to unpack if you spend some time with it

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

rabidsquid posted:

i refuse to learn but i did want to jungle badly

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
https://i.imgur.com/rBT6RPv.mp4

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I was enjoying playing top but I guess I'll have to dust off my old account and finish leveling it to 30

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Verviticus posted:

yeah thats pretty disappointing. was looking forward to learning other roles in ranked without having to worry about tanking my mmr.

me too

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Which is why Positional Matchmaking is still a thing I would assume?

So you can still learn new roles against people at a lower skill in that role, you just don't know what level you're learning at.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Lord_Magmar posted:

Which is why Positional Matchmaking is still a thing I would assume?

So you can still learn new roles against people at a lower skill in that role, you just don't know what level you're learning at.

nothing about what they said suggested they were keeping the system but hiding the rank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

rabidsquid posted:

nothing about what they said suggested they were keeping the system but hiding the rank

They did say they kept the separate algorithms, there's just only one public rank