Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

His Divine Shadow posted:

Well I only have a wireless connection between the garage and the house, so I'd need to set up a router in the garage and pull wires and stuff, pulling wires in the shop... that's really something I want to avoid... wireless is a requirement for me.

And checking out the laws in Finland and apparently I need to put up signs warning of camera surveilance on my property if I do this so I am reconsidering anyway, putting up signs like that is probably worse than doing nothing.

I’m not a thief but I’d imagine that if I was then I would just rob the house next door instead of yours if you had signs that there are cameras around and they didn’t. Kinda like as long as my bike looked like it was better locked than the other bikes in the rack then I’ve basically got nothing to worry about? I thought most of this type of crime was done out of opportunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
There's a reason fake security system signs and even fake cameras are a thing. Unless you're being specifically targeted they work pretty much as well as the real thing.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Are there any good guides or YouTube accounts for first time Home Assistant users? I’ve installed it via docker on my Synology but don’t really know here/how to start.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
A few that I've watched videos from are
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLecVrux63S6aYiErxdiy4w
https://www.youtube.com/user/Jfelipe83M
https://www.youtube.com/user/ccostan

But, development on Home Assistant is so active and quick, things can often be outdated or just plane wrong very quickly. So where some of the older videos would say things like "copy and paste this code here", it might not be relevant any more.
But you can still get a general better understanding from watching them. You just then have to refer to the current Home Assistant Docs for current info.

Then when you are up and running, pay attention to the 'breaking changes' in the release notes for new versions before updating.

EDIT...Argh, the forum parsed the channel links in to video format. Fixed.

MeKeV fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 1, 2019

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum
Those Youtube links don't work for me. Along the same line of questions, I am also getting started with HA, are there any plugs that integrate easily with HA but don't need to connect to the internet? I like the idea of my system not touching the cloud.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Things didn't really start clicking for me until I finally set out to write an automation after about a month of squinting at the docs and feeling intimidated. I guess the important thing is to understand that your physical device (or weather widget or whatever) can be one or more "entities" in HA. Each entity is part of a domain (i think that's the term), like climate, sensor, etc. Each entity has a state, and can have additional attributes. You can grab these values in automation triggers (what kicks off the automation, usually based on state change) and conditions (additional requirements for the automation to run). When you perform actions, you'll probably be calling a service. Don't be afraid of templating. It's actually really easy if you're familiar with scripting comparisons.

I don't think these things are introduced particularly well anywhere in the documentation. Also, don't underestimate the developer tools that are sort of tucked away. These are basically the most important things to look at when you're automating and make life so much easier. There's a place to see all your entities, states, and attributes. There's a place to start services (like manually triggering automations for testing). There's a place to test your templates. Very important stuff.

Edit:

dalstrs posted:

Those Youtube links don't work for me. Along the same line of questions, I am also getting started with HA, are there any plugs that integrate easily with HA but don't need to connect to the internet? I like the idea of my system not touching the cloud.

I use Z-Wave plugs with a HUSBZB-1 stick.

azurite fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 1, 2019

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

azurite posted:

I don't think these things are introduced particularly well anywhere in the documentation.

Yeah. The docs are generally pretty good for an OSS project, but I remember when I was first trying to grok home assistant I couldn't find anywhere what exactly a domain was.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I don't think they have a comprehensive list of domains either. This would be incredibly useful when deciding what to log with the recorder. By the way, adjusting the recorder is basically mandatory on a Raspberry Pi. With stock settings, my database got so incredibly large that it took minutes to load the logbook and history pages. Now I only keep a tiny subset of entities and domains for three days.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
They say it in the documentation so it's not like I'm shocked but yeah the Raspberry Pi 2 is just too unstable for HA. Seems like I have to restart it every day and I'm not even doing anything with it yet.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I have Hassio on a Pi 3 B+. Other than having to fine-tune the recorder, it's been working fine.

Edit: If you want to keep everything, it's apparently possible to keep the database on a beefier server. I haven't looked into that because I don't really want the additional moving parts, and what little I'm recording works for me.

azurite fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 1, 2019

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Personally after finding RPi performance lacking, I went and bought a cheap Lenovo Tiny PC off eBay for $100 with a 120GB SSD. It runs multiple circles around a RPi. A i3-4130 is quite a lot more powerful than a RPi!

I installed Ubuntu Server, and then used the Hass.io installer script to put Home Assistant/Hass.io on it. (https://www.home-assistant.io/hassio/installation/ scroll to bottom of page under "Alternative: install on linux") Once installed, it works no differently than Hass.io on the RPi. All the Hass.io functions like snapshots, reboot, updating, etc... work perfectly fine. And given that Hass.io is just Home Assistant stuffed into a docker container and you have plenty of power left. You can install something like Portainer and get a GUI to install other Docker containers for other services/functions. like PiHole, NodeRed, etc...

It is ridiculous how fast it is.. From power on to Home Assistant being ready is at most 8 seconds. I think half that is spent waiting for POST. It is also rock solid stable.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I might look into that if/when the Pi craps out. The decrease in restart time would be very useful.

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

azurite posted:

I have Hassio on a Pi 3 B+. Other than having to fine-tune the recorder, it's been working fine.

Edit: If you want to keep everything, it's apparently possible to keep the database on a beefier server. I haven't looked into that because I don't really want the additional moving parts, and what little I'm recording works for me.

After my memory card died last week, I replaced it, and moved the recorder to a db on a NAS. It's as simple as install mariadb (I used a docker on NAS, took 5 minutes to setup), add a "db_url:" line to recorder config and you're set. RPi is more responsive, and I can use history and logbook features again.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

That's a good tip, thanks.

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

I installed the influxdb/grafana hassio adonis to keep the historical data for HA. It’s mostly time series data that’s interesting, and you are much better off using a product designed for that type of data. I found that the built-in HA recorder database grew like crazy (~100MB/day), but logging stuff in influxdb is more like ~4MB/day for me. I pruned the crap out of what is stored in recorder, but it’s still churning a lot on that SD card.

Edit because this was a pain to figure out: here is the query you can use (e.g. in Grafana) to show the size of your influxdb databases. All of the example queries online for this are wrong. You can prove it by using du in the influxdb data directories and it won’t match what the internet’s queries show you if you run if after you have some data in there.

SELECT sum(*) FROM (SELECT last("diskBytes") AS "mean_diskBytes" FROM "_internal"."monitor"."shard" WHERE ("database" = 'home_assistant') GROUP BY "id", "database" FILL(none)) WHERE $timeFilter GROUP BY time($__interval)

If you want the size of the _internal (influx stats) database, replace "database" = 'home_assistant' with "database" = '_internal'. If you just want the total size of influx databases on disk remove the WHERE ("database" = 'home_assistant') clause.

This is because influxdb stores data on disk in files called shards, and as more data is collected new shards are created. The query above shows you the sum of the disk sizes of all shards for all databases. Most people are showing you queries that select last(), which is the size of only the current shard. It will be correct until the system creates a second shard so that’s probably why it’s popular.

Graniteman fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 2, 2019

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I really wish grafana had a good way to mark boolean states.

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

Thermopyle posted:

I really wish grafana had a good way to mark boolean states.

I just found this plugin for grafana that works well enough for me.
https://github.com/NatelEnergy/grafana-discrete-panel

If you are running hassio just include it’s name in the plugin config. I’m running these:
"plugins": [
"natel-influx-admin-panel",
"natel-plotly-panel",
"natel-discrete-panel"
],

You can make plots of any discrete data. Weather “cloudy” “rainy” “partly cloudy” or just discrete values like 0,1. You can also map discrete values like 0,1 to text (0:clear, 1:motion) that will show up in the plot. I’m happy with it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Ahh nice. I will try that out.

Not running hassio, though.

Jack Donaheyyy
Jun 9, 2013

Graniteman posted:

I just found this plugin for grafana that works well enough for me.
https://github.com/NatelEnergy/grafana-discrete-panel

If you are running hassio just include it’s name in the plugin config. I’m running these:
"plugins": [
"natel-influx-admin-panel",
"natel-plotly-panel",
"natel-discrete-panel"
],

You can make plots of any discrete data. Weather “cloudy” “rainy” “partly cloudy” or just discrete values like 0,1. You can also map discrete values like 0,1 to text (0:clear, 1:motion) that will show up in the plot. I’m happy with it.

This is dope, thanks. I've been looking for something to show what lights are turned on/off and some reasonable way to do duty cycle. I hacked something together via a calculated value in Prometheus but this looks much nicer.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

chippy posted:

Excuse me, is the best best place to ask Google Home/Assistant questions, or is there somewhere better?

We really need a Google Assistant thread, that echo system is getting really good now. We have 5 smart displays and 5 smart speakers now and I'm starting to integrate home automation in it and it works really well off the shelf.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

edit: oops, nope

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah. The docs are generally pretty good for an OSS project, but I remember when I was first trying to grok home assistant I couldn't find anywhere what exactly a domain was.

From the Home Assistant Discord:

quote:

Before You Ask:

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Before asking a technical question in our channels, please do the following:

1. Try to find an answer by searching the archives of the forum: https://community.home-assistant.io/
2. Try to find an answer by searching the Web: https://www.google.com/
3. Try to find an answer by reading the manual: https://www.home-assistant.io/docs/
4. Try to find an answer by reading a FAQ: https://www.home-assistant.io/faq/
5. Try to find an answer by inspection or experimentation.
6. Try to find an answer by asking a skilled friend.
7. If you're a programmer, try to find an answer by reading the source code: https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant

When you ask your question, display the fact that you have done these things first; this will help establish that you're not being a lazy sponge and wasting people's time. Better yet, display what you have learned from doing these things. We like answering questions for people who have demonstrated they can learn from the answers

You'd better have read all the docs, the random forum posts that pop up on a search, watched a few videos, tried a bunch of random poo poo, asked your Smart Friend, AND read the source code before you bother anyone with a question of your own :rolleyes:

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
'I am in charge here because I enjoy the power it gives me, not because I enjoy helping others. Here are the Seven Trials you must pass before you are allowed to speak in my presence.'

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

1-3 are normal, 4-7 are just being a dick.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Kinda reminds me of the old advice “when you need help with Linux say it’s easier in BSD”

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

I can show you what endless looks like
I can show you a single infinite thing
I can let you taste the sweet and sour of forever
Unending. Eternal. Inevitable
Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Fall into me. Into my eyes
Look at them. Depths unfathomable
Pain immeasurable
A cruel promise fulfilled

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

IFTTT question: There are plenty of applets that will turn off the lights when *I* leave home, but is there (or how would I create) an applet that turns off the lights and turns ON motion detecting when the LAST person with a cellphone leaves the house, AND also says "IF Clockwork Sputnik comes home and the house is empty THEN turn on X lights. BUT if Clockwork Sputnik comes home and someone is already home ONLY turn on Y lights"
company?
I know this is an older post but I just went through this. I wanted to turn on cameras to record certain areas when both people were not home but if one person was in the home it would not.

So depending on the kind of phones you have (I have android.) I put an app like macrodroid on each phone [to make triggers]. You will also need a stringify and IFTTT account.

I configure macrodroid to do two things on each phone. When I disconnect a phone from my home wifi (it will let you pick the SSID too!)to send a GET to an address.
Then when I connect a phone to my home wifi (it will let you pick the SSID )send a GET to another address.
Do this for both phones.(You get that address from stringify under connect maker (see next).

In Stringify add the following things to your stuff. Like connect maker, all the functions (text) (math) (and variables), then IFTTT. Then you will make a few flows.
I have one flow called 'increase' and another called "set to 0'.

When a phone disconnects I want to increase a number. So I make the first item in the flow connect maker with the trigger being "an HTTP GET/POST" when I save that option I get the url. I cut and paste this in the macrodroid app on the phone trigger for disconnect.

When a phone connects I want to set this option to 0. So I create another connect maker thing in the set to 0 flow like we did for increase only this is a different URL. Paste that into the trigger on the macrodroid app on the phone for when you connect.

Ok so for the increase flow. You will send the connect maker flow into the function:variables thing. You will give it an action. Increment a variable. Then a unique name, I called it HomeValue. Then you set the option increment by how many. I picked 1. Then I activated the flow to save it.

For the set to 0 flow. You connect the connect maker to a function:variable thing. You give it the action to: Set a variable value. Then you select HomeValue from the dropdown. Set the variable value to 0.

Now I create a third new flow. I called that CamerasOn (but you can call it whatever you want it to do.). You start it with a function:variable thing. Select when a variable changes to a value. Then choose the HomeValue for your variable from the dropdown. Set the variable value to 2. Then add and connect to a functions:math thing with the action of continue flow based on comparing numbers. Select the first value as variable value (it will only appear if the function:variable is connected!) then set the comparison operator of greater than or equal to: 2. Lastly add the IFTTT and have the math thing connect to IFTTT. Save it. There will be an ID (some letters) use that when you make an IFTTT trigger in IFTTT.

In IFTTT I added my devices and made a trigger to tun my cameras on: If stringify flow named: [the name/ID from stringify] ran then turn on cameras. Then save it.

Go back to stringify.

Now I create a 4th new flow. I called that CamerasOff (but you can call it whatever you want it to do.). You start it with a function:variable thing. Select when a 'variable changes' [NOT variable changes value, we want this checked whenever it runs]. Then choose the HomeValue for your variable from the dropdown. Then add and connect to a functions:math thing with the action of continue flow based on comparing numbers. Select the first value as variable value (it will only appear if the function:variable thing is connected!) then set the comparison operator of less than or equal to: 0. Lastly add the IFTTT and have the math thing connect to IFTTT. Save it. There will be an ID (some letters) use that when you make an IFTTT trigger in IFTTT.

In IFTTT I added my devices and made a trigger to tun my cameras off: If stringify flow named: [the name/ID from stringify] ran then turn off cameras. Then save it.

Now whenever my wife and I are not in the house, the security cams record. But if one of us is home they will not. In IFTTT I can pick which cameras or one particular one. In stringify you can have multiple flows for when you get home vs when you are not there. They also have triggers based on location, so if you have life 360 or something those are much easier to setup. If you have multiple people you can set the variable value to 3 or 4 or whatever for leaving. Some people have teens that get home from school etc before they do and they do not want to see what their teen son is doing while home alone and setup the macrodroid for their phones.

edit: you can set multiple stringify flows or within those flows conditions before they continue the flow (like only after 5pm etc) or have multiple IFTTT triggers for different people at the end of the flow. I did a halloween prank on my wife that set the lights on and off and turned on the stereo. I got in trouble for that one.

I am Communist fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 21, 2019

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Make sure the bedroom camera doesn’t have the geofencing logic...

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

I can show you what endless looks like
I can show you a single infinite thing
I can let you taste the sweet and sour of forever
Unending. Eternal. Inevitable
Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Fall into me. Into my eyes
Look at them. Depths unfathomable
Pain immeasurable
A cruel promise fulfilled

TraderStav posted:

Make sure the bedroom camera doesn’t have the geofencing logic...

Ha. No camera in there, we're on the 2nd floor and there's no way to get in there. Just in the big rooms, entryways, hallways, garage. We'll have plenty of angles and faces without that spot. :P

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So my OpenHAB2 setup just exploded out of the blue. Granted, it was just reading lots of sensors and forwarding to Influx+Grafana, but still. Any other HA system of the day I should look at, since I sorta need to start over?

--edit: Apparently it does automatic backups, I put the latest Thing json back that wasn't just 2 bytes, and it seems to work. Still disconcerting it killed itself. fsck showed no issues.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 31, 2019

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Hass.io with node red is a game changer.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I got 3 Ring cameras for Christmas/Housewarming. I know Amazon recently bought Ring, so it won't have Google Home integration, right? Searches seem contradictory.

I really just want to be able to enable/disable notifications quickly.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Agreed...

And if you want something with plenty of power to run it, get something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thi...bwAAOSwA05cdCab Or alternatively search Lenovo Tiny on eBay. They are great little low power machines for such a purpose. Personally I have a Tiny m53 and slapped a $14 120GB SSD in it.

Install Ubuntu Server on it, and then run the Hass.io installation script.

Many more times powerful than a RPi3 and with full Hass.io functionality (addons, host control, etc..) And with a SSD boots in about 5-6 seconds :D

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

So I am looking for some home monitoring help. I have very little already in the home; a couple of echo dots, a couple of smart outlet plugin modules, and a set of Amazon cameras. Because of the cameras, I’m looking to get an Echo Show next, but I also have another thing I need it to do.

I’d like to get a notification if a door is opened on my PC and/or my Echo dots. I know I need a door sensor, so I’m looking for one that is compatible with an Echo Show or Plus (which has a ZigBee hub in it) without having to buy a separate hub as well. Would any ZigBee door sensor work, or do I need to look for a specific one? Or am I stuck buying a hub no matter what?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

I skipped over HASS because of that YAML stuff. Back then I preferred something with the option of traditional scripting (OpenHAB is JavaScript like).

OpenHAB has now decided to make all Zigbee stuff dysfunctional, so I guess I'm going to try something else, anyway. Regarding Node RED, not that much of a fan of graphical flows, because IMO complexer scripts are easier in text, but we'll see how far I get with this.

stevewm posted:

And if you want something with plenty of power to run it...
An RPi3 not enough anymore these days for that sort of stuff?

Jedi425 posted:

Would any ZigBee door sensor work, or do I need to look for a specific one?
Zigbee stuff should work with any hub. You should look in the Aqara stuff from Xiaomi, it works pretty good and it's cheap.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Mar 31, 2019

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

I skipped over HASS because of that YAML stuff. Back then I preferred something with the option of traditional scripting (OpenHAB is JavaScript like).

OpenHAB has now decided to make all Zigbee stuff dysfunctional, so I guess I'm going to try something else, anyway. Regarding Node RED, not that much of a fan of graphical flows, because IMO complexer scripts are easier in text, but we'll see how far I get with this.
I haven't done it yet, but you can write pure Python for Home Assistant automations with Appdaemon.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Erwin posted:

I haven't done it yet, but you can write pure Python for Home Assistant automations with Appdaemon.

I write all my automations with Appdaemon. It works!

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

An RPi3 not enough anymore these days for that sort of stuff?

It works... But certain things can be slow. Like retrieving data for graphs, restarting home assistant, and some add-ons.

Hass.io has a containerized addon system that lets you install things like Node Red, PiHole, Unifi Controller, Grafana, Influx, etc..

If you want to use a lot of add-ons, the pi just doesn't have enough power.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

stevewm posted:

It works... But certain things can be slow. Like retrieving data for graphs, restarting home assistant, and some add-ons.

Hass.io has a containerized addon system that lets you install things like Node Red, PiHole, Unifi Controller, Grafana, Influx, etc..

How many of those need to be on the main HASS rpi?

stevewm
May 10, 2005

porkface posted:

How many of those need to be on the main HASS rpi?

None really,. But the addon system makes it convenient and easy to install them all in one place, if you are using such add-ons. Might as well have a more powerful machine to do it.

There are a ton of those small low power business systems from Lenovo, HP, Dell, etc.. on eBay for cheap. I spent a grand total of $85 on mine including the cheap SSD. And I have something that is 10x powerful than a Pi.

I started out with a Pi and once I started adding a bunch of stuff to it, things just got too slow for my liking.

stevewm fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 31, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Erwin posted:

Yeah, this is on my to-do list. All the script- and node-based automation stuff is very :psyduck: to me, just because I am very used to think about those sorts of processes in terms of actual code.

stevewm posted:

For what it's worth, there's apparently some kind of bug in Hassio that causes the database to not properly purge old information, so you end up with a constantly growing local DB store that massively bogs everything down I was wondering why I had like an 8 gig DB file and lo and behold discovered it somewhere in the forums. The fix (for me at least) is to run an automation that manually requests a purge every night. My boot times, log requests, etc got waaay faster after I fixed that.

E: links

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/home-assistant-v2-db-doesnt-purge/45870

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/hass-database-growing-huge/77125

Hubis fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Apr 1, 2019