Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Ohhhhhh right, that's a Zack Snyder movie, haha. I was wondering how that fit into the gimmick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Schwarzwald posted:

What didn't you get?

It’s who is saying it that’s a problem. If K.Waste came in here with a post similar to that he would not be met with the same ire because K.Waste is cool even if I disagree.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Nikaer Drekin posted:

What is it about Zack Snyder movies that makes weird cranks write up incomprehensible walls of text about them?

Well, in lamps case it's love, but usually it's irritation.

Heck, I myself could probably crank out a few wall of text on all the ways Sucker Punch pisses me off, but this is neither the time nor the place or that.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Schwarzwald posted:

What didn't you get?

I mean, it's technically comprehensible, I guess, but my eyes just glaze over looking at it to the point that picking out anything is just a pain.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

CelticPredator posted:

It’s who is saying it that’s a problem. If K.Waste came in here with a post similar to that he would not be met with the same ire because K.Waste is cool even if I disagree.
It's almost as if doing the same thing multiple times makes it more likely to get written off.

Owls aside, the idea that a great movie would just roll off your back and leave no lasting impression is... sure a statement I guess.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Actually Bravest, I apologize for skimming your post the first time because this:

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Man of Steel, the greatest superhero movie ever made

is a masterclass in trolling.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Actually Bravest, I apologize for skimming your post the first time because this:

is a masterclass in trolling.

it would have to a: not be what he believes and b: not be true, to be trolling

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
How on earth fould anyone claim that Man of Steel is the best superhero film, especially in the animation thread, when Spider-Verse exists? :colbert:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

asecondduck posted:

How on earth fould anyone claim that Man of Steel is the best superhero film, especially in the animation thread, when Spider-Verse exists? :colbert:

It's not even the best Superman film, which is The Iron Giant.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It's not even the best Superman film, which is The Iron Giant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4dT2eBWI2M

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

asecondduck posted:

Spider-Verse is a gorgeously animated film but the more I think back on it the less I think I care for it. It's like the less good version of the Lego Movie.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Schwarzwald posted:

Spider-Verse is a gorgeously animated film but the more I think back on it the less I think I care for it. It's like the less good version of the Lego Movie.

I mean the Lego Movie was an insane achievement. Nobody expected anything and they went all out.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

asecondduck posted:

For many reasons, probably the simplest being that it has a real superhero.

e:

FilthyImp posted:

Owls aside, the idea that a great movie would just roll off your back and leave no lasting impression is... sure a statement I guess.

Who made such a statement?

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Mar 9, 2019

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

The Silver Snail posted:

Ah yes, owls, the toy maker's insurmountable nemesis.

Animated characters aren't generally designed to faithfully resemble animals. They're supposed to be simplified versions - cartoons.

You can easily see which one was designed to resemble an owl and which one was designed to turn into a Happy Meals toy. The one from Ga'Hoole has realistic proportions and down, the one from a Madagascar movie already looks like plastic.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Animated characters aren't generally designed to faithfully resemble animals. They're supposed to be simplified versions - cartoons.

Christ, I forgot how loving creepy the Ga'Hoole owl eyes look.

Fun fact: Owls can't actually move their eyes that way. They're designed to remain stationary inside of the skull and not move from side to side. Which is why owls have such flexible necks, when they want to look at something that isn't directly in front of them they have to move their entire heads.

Something about seeing such hyper realistic eyes moving in such unrealistic ways is so Goddamned unnerving.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Having to move your entire head because you're incapable of moving your eyes seems like a major design flaw on the part of nature.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Samuel Clemens posted:

Having to move your entire head because you're incapable of moving your eyes seems like a major design flaw on the part of nature.

Not necessarily! Think about the way owls hunt: They're not on the ground looking for prey that's around them, they're in the sky and when you're in the sky the only direction you need to look is down. So, since eye movement isn't really something they need to catch prey, they instead evolved eyes that are basically completely stationary yet give them excellent night-vision and essentially function as built in binoculars.

Owls are really neat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeFxdkaFzRA

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Mar 10, 2019

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

If the Guardians of goul'whatever had made owls move like normal owls it might be a little more memorable, with their natural head movements it'd make them a lot more expressive.

And it's not even that hard, Marahute in Rescuers Down Under shows 100% natural raptor movements and see manages to express curiosity, sorrow and anger completely with body language.

Brick Shipment
Jun 22, 2009

That real rear end owl is wearing mascara and eyeshadow.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
That was something that bugged me in HTTYD3, but I wasn't sure if I was just being unfair at that point: Toothless's body language was coded as just dog or human. It seemed like a really lazy shortcut, especially after it had been established that night fury= (primarily) cat lizard, gronckle= bulldog lizard, stormcutter= great horned owl lizard, nadder= parrot lizard, etc. They all had their particular movements and animalistic quirks that made them feel more unique.

It was just, "How do I get people to feel love for Toothless here? Uh, dog stuff. People love dog stuff." or "How do I communicate Toothless is feeling unimpressed? Uh, roll his eyes and shake his head, that's easy." I also enjoyed how Hiccup had to adapt to Toothless's mode of communication as much as Toothless did his. 3 felt less mutual and more pet-like.

It felt less communicative for all the shorthand. Also quietly defensive about the idea that if you and your cat were really close, it'd be a dog. :mad:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Brick Shipment posted:

That real rear end owl is wearing mascara and eyeshadow.

Owl make up is on point:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Das Boo posted:

That was something that bugged me in HTTYD3, but I wasn't sure if I was just being unfair at that point: Toothless's body language was coded as just dog or human. It seemed like a really lazy shortcut, especially after it had been established that night fury= (primarily) cat lizard, gronckle= bulldog lizard, stormcutter= great horned owl lizard, nadder= parrot lizard, etc. They all had their particular movements and animalistic quirks that made them feel more unique.

It was just, "How do I get people to feel love for Toothless here? Uh, dog stuff. People love dog stuff." or "How do I communicate Toothless is feeling unimpressed? Uh, roll his eyes and shake his head, that's easy." I also enjoyed how Hiccup had to adapt to Toothless's mode of communication as much as Toothless did his. 3 felt less mutual and more pet-like.

It felt less communicative for all the shorthand. Also quietly defensive about the idea that if you and your cat were really close, it'd be a dog. :mad:

Aren't his mating dance things based on birds of paradise? Of course that's some of the only body language of his that I can remember, and it's also in the trailers. There was also playing fetch and sort of imitating the Lion King.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

the mating dance is, but his motions in previous movies is very cat-like, from trying to attack the addition to his tail to how he sulks around in the background when he accidentally got kicked in the background of 'for the dancing and the dreaming', but he's more generic dog critter otherwise in the third movie.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
^^ This! ^^

I consider the bird dance another weird spectacle that was incongruent with previous Toothless behavior. And that was before the weird human dance he was doing at the end.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
so are we forgetting the part where toothless was a dog the entire time

like, he fetches a dang stick in the first movie and keeps bringing it back when hiccup throws it

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

The one from Ga'Hoole has realistic proportions and down, the one from a Madagascar movie already looks like plastic.

Being "realistic" is one of the least virtuous things an animated product needs to be in my opinion, and you proclaiming how great Ga'hoole is as objective fact is grating as gently caress, just to let you know.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

starkebn posted:

and you proclaiming how great Ga'hoole is as objective fact is grating as gently caress, just to let you know.
Do you not know about Lamp's gimmick?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

ungulateman posted:

so are we forgetting the part where toothless was a dog the entire time

like, he fetches a dang stick in the first movie and keeps bringing it back when hiccup throws it

He stalks like a cat, flicks his ears like a cat, arches his back like a cat, rolls in not-catnip, eats fish, chases light spots and sticks his head in baskets. DeBlois also said that his design is based off a black panther. He has cat pupils and his big strengths are agility and stealth. He's intelligent, aloof, curious and quick-tempered.

Toothless has a few other animal traits mixed in, but he's by and large a big got-dang cat.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

ain't nothin in the world like a little cat dog

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Why is Spiderverse the best loving animated movie? Because of poo poo like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s799LoMmvuI

Pause at the 30 second mark. Even being a ruthless criminal, Aaron still loves and cares about his family

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cIXnym4yDU

Pause at the 42 second mark. Even after years of growing apart, Jeff still loves and cares about his brother.

It's the small touches like that.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Mar 10, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Samuel Clemens posted:

On top of the above though, owls are really, really good at moving their heads.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

doomrider7 posted:

Why is Spiderverse the best loving animated movie? Because of poo poo like this.

I was blown away by that scene with Miles and his uncle in his apartment. I dunno if it's my favorite scene in the movie but it's one of the best at least.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Macaluso posted:

I was blown away by that scene with Miles and his uncle in his apartment. I dunno if it's my favorite scene in the movie but it's one of the best at least.

It's not just one of the best scenes in the movie, it's one of the best loving scenes in ANYTHING. It's was INCREDIBLY humanizing. Like, everything about how they talk, the way they move, everything felts so REAL. Like you can envision it being an actual conversation that would take place. It felt so incredibly organic. I especially loved the romance advice part since it felt like the kind of actual convo you'd have with a "cool" older relative and the kind of cheesy advice they'd give you that you can't tell if it's serious or trolling.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Mar 10, 2019

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

starkebn posted:

Being "realistic" is one of the least virtuous things an animated product needs to be in my opinion

Ga'Hoole's semi-realistic designs are a virtue because the toy-like character designs of most CGI movies make them look samey and boring.

doomrider7 posted:

It's the small touches like that.

doomrider7 posted:

It's not just one of the best scenes in the movie, it's one of the best loving scenes in ANYTHING. It's was INCREDIBLY humanizing.

That's nothing particularly impressive. The scene even goes for the obvious, non-naturalistic joke ("What's her name?").

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

doomrider7 posted:

It's not just one of the best scenes in the movie, it's one of the best loving scenes in ANYTHING. It's was INCREDIBLY humanizing. Like, everything about how they talk, the way they move, everything felts so REAL. Like you can envision it being an actual conversation that would take place. It felt so incredibly organic. I especially loved the romance advice part since it felt like the kind of actual convo you'd have with a "cool" older relative and the kind of cheesy advice they'd give you that you can't tell if it's serious or trolling.

A lot of unspoken things in that scene and the follow-up, with the whole dynamic of the 'cool uncle' who's willing to break some rules but seems to have a good sense of boundaries and how to not actually get in (too much) trouble, and also serves as excellent foreshadowing.

The whole movie could have easily turned into a bloated mess if it wasn't so well put together.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A lot of unspoken things in that scene and the follow-up, with the whole dynamic of the 'cool uncle' who's willing to break some rules but seems to have a good sense of boundaries and how to not actually get in (too much) trouble, and also serves as excellent foreshadowing.

The whole movie could have easily turned into a bloated mess if it wasn't so well put together.

Even though it's blatant and a bit of a cliche, I especially loved the part where he KNOWS that Miles lying about how school is going. It's a great contrast to how Jeff is about Miles's opinion of the school. Another great scene is where he talks about him and Jeff tagging buildings in their youth until Jeff, "took on the whole cop thing". You can tell from how his voice trails off that it's a sore even though he still loves his brother and thinks he's a good guy. I especially liked Miles's facial reaction there which really sold it.

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.

Robindaybird posted:

the mating dance is, but his motions in previous movies is very cat-like, from trying to attack the addition to his tail to how he sulks around in the background when he accidentally got kicked in the background of 'for the dancing and the dreaming', but he's more generic dog critter otherwise in the third movie.

The only sort of cat-like behaviour I actually remember from the third movie was from the Light Fury, after Toothless was being weird with his dancing and she bops him in the face a few times with her foot (paw?).

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Looks like this thread has gone Into the Snyder-verse

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

HTTYD 2 and 3 both seem over-stuffed, over-cut and in need of room to breathe. It feels like they tried to hew too close to the original's storybook feel, with relatively limited scope and a lot of focus on visual storytelling, while making use of a world that's supposed to be much bigger than Berk but ends up under-explained.

They really could have done more with the Light Fury to have more going on with her other than shy victim or homewrecker. (both of which are definitely tired and at least vaguely offensive stereotypes for love interests) Like I said, could invert the first movie and have some scenes from her point of view, observing and learning about the humans of Berk and trying to understand Toothless, since they make a bit of a deal about how since Toothless doesn't know any dragons of his own kind he takes a lot of mannerisms from humans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Ghost Leviathan posted:

HTTYD 2 and 3 both seem over-stuffed, over-cut and in need of room to breathe. It feels like they tried to hew too close to the original's storybook feel, with relatively limited scope and a lot of focus on visual storytelling, while making use of a world that's supposed to be much bigger than Berk but ends up under-explained.

They really could have done more with the Light Fury to have more going on with her other than shy victim or homewrecker. (both of which are definitely tired and at least vaguely offensive stereotypes for love interests) Like I said, could invert the first movie and have some scenes from her point of view, observing and learning about the humans of Berk and trying to understand Toothless, since they make a bit of a deal about how since Toothless doesn't know any dragons of his own kind he takes a lot of mannerisms from humans.

I don't know how they tie-in, but there were some seasons of an animated series of this that apparently built up the world. Again not sure how it ties into the movies proper.