Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Cardiovorax posted:

because food is only a consideration for the first 30 minutes of play or so.
Which is why I just added a mod to turn off food completely, also i used the boy and his dog start and he would not auto feed the dog. Doggo started to die of hunger before I saw.
Started my first base last night and I noticed because of terrain that enemies were just walking right under my walls.
In the midst of figuring this out i figured out why my guys just wouldn't build the walls automatically, because somehow half my walls somehow belonged to the abandoned village that was quite a way on the other side of my base.

Still a goddamn fun game. Thought I was all badass after doing some traveling around and survived a few beakthing encounters.
When I met one adult beakthing my team of six ended up with 3 characters missing a limb and 2 dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Donkringel posted:

Yeah pretty much. Also you can feed them poor quality meat, which only hivers can eat, so it's sort of like animal only food.

just want to add that, as you know, hiver princes won't eat poor quality meat.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Ruzihm posted:

just want to add that, as you know, hiver princes won't eat poor quality meat.

Oh really? Good to know! Makes total sense, I just read "Hiver etc." And made the assumption across the board.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

OgNar posted:

Which is why I just added a mod to turn off food completely, also i used the boy and his dog start and he would not auto feed the dog. Doggo started to die of hunger before I saw.

if you don't have a backpack, you gotta throw food on the ground for the dog to eat.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

jfood posted:

if you don't have a backpack, you gotta throw food on the ground for the dog to eat.

I'm pretty sure there is a backpack hidden away in the starting town for the dog start as well, so it's worth poking around in before you take off. Dropping food on the ground seems completely random a lot of the time if it's going to work or not.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
how is food not an issue for you guys? growing crops works but it's time intensive and doesn't make if you're in an arid area

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
steal your rear end off

realistically dried meat is super cheap unless you're running like 20 dudes. what you actually feed people doesn't seem to matter as long as they eat something

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Just about anywhere can grow wheat straw. Grow lots of it, make bread. Depending on where you are you could use the wildlife for meat wraps or greenfruit for food cubes. A couple of dedicated farmers will set you for life.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Farecoal posted:

how is food not an issue for you guys? growing crops works but it's time intensive and doesn't make if you're in an arid area

Cactus and water. Bon appetite!

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I deal with food by turning the slider up so i barely get hungry.

Mechanic sucks tbh

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

1.3 on the scale is a nice half-way point between having to care and having to care too much. the idea of having to provision for a long trip is appealing for some reason, but when I get the team back to base there's usually four hundred dustwiches in the food barrel.

there definitely comes a point where you'd rather get the starving bandits into a breadline than murdering them for the thousandth time, but no game is perfect.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I made it to day 35. Had a self sufficient little outpost in Okran's Pride. About 10 dudes, growing cotton and wheatstraw and greenfruits, harvesting hide from small groups of river raptors, and I had just finished making nice leather armor and weapons for everyone. Sent one dude off to trade for steel bars so that I could make training dummies that would let me get everyone's attack up to 15ish before sending the gang out hunting in ruins.

Then a pack of beak things ate my trader and pack mule alive, and a god damned herd of ninja showed up at my settlement and left everyone in puddles of their own blood. As everyone lay dying a Holy Nation Patrol showed up and dragged the non-humans away into slavery, and left everyone else to bleed to death.

I can't decide if I want to just continue with the two Shek who are good at laboring and running and not much else that have been enslaved by the Holy Nation, or play with a different start. This game is loving awesome.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010
Roll with that save man. Stuff like that always makes for some kick-rear end backstory.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

go with the save, its like u chose a slave start it's all good

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Today I had my first experience with beakthings. Holy poo poo this giraffes are hell on wheels :stare:

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Arkitektbmw posted:

Roll with that save man. Stuff like that always makes for some kick-rear end backstory.

I did this and then we got ate by bonedogs trying to get back to our old house in the Hub. RIP

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I built a base in the Burning Forest and the blood spiders just will not stop coming. At least they're hilarious glass cannons.

This spot I found is pretty nice, but it's swamp biome so I need to get riceweed to actually farm food.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
What makes characters 'flicker'? Like sometimes dudes will run up to a training dummy and toggle between training and not training several times a second. Or they'll run up to a storage container and grab and immediately return a resource that they should carrying somewhere else to use.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

OgNar posted:

This is a bit strange, the dog ought to have been auto-feeding itself by taking viable foodstuffs from the nearest container or backpack. Maybe they only do that with animal-specific foods? Possibly so that your animals will not cause starvation for your humanoid characters by eating all the rations. The AI can be kind of weird about things like that sometimes.

Farecoal posted:

There is plenty of cheapo food to be bought in bars and killing a herd of river raptors will produce enough raw meat that salting it into dried meat will keep even a full squad fed for weeks at a time. Food doesn't spoil, so once you have an appreciable amount of it, you have it forever.

Bedurndurn posted:

What makes characters 'flicker'? Like sometimes dudes will run up to a training dummy and toggle between training and not training several times a second. Or they'll run up to a storage container and grab and immediately return a resource that they should carrying somewhere else to use.
Might be a navmesh or clipping issue, press CTRL+Shift+F11 and see if that fixes it.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
Hydroponic rice farming is the way to go....Sake and rice bowls in the desert.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Yeah, hydroponics is real nice, though it's pretty deep in the tech tree. I ended up feeding my people gohan (rice + vegetables). It takes up more inventory squares than food cubes but it sidesteps all the trouble of baking bread

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Honestly, once you have hydroponics, it doesn't matter what you grow, you now basically have an infinite amount of it available to you anyway.

I grow marijuana just because I can, but it has a dual benefit in being possible to turn into cloth for further crafting and drugs to sell and/or pretend my squad is smoking.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Do the number of days passed in game have any negative effect?

I'm just messing around with a slave character training stats and I'm already at day 20. Just wondering if that has any downsides.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

None whatsoever, it's just an internal counter. It does affect things like the growth of vegetables and the adulthood and aging of animals, however. A juvenile Bone Dog will grow up into an adult and finally into an elder, which just generally makes them tougher and better. Nothing dies of old age, so do not be concerned by that. The world will change in real-time, but only as a response to you doing certain things. You can spend all of forever watching the day counter go up and it will do you no harm at all.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

People always talk about towns getting overrun over time and important characters disappearing - presumably eaten or shanked by bandits - but I haven't had this happen in my game

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

When that kind of thing happens, it's not really dependent on the day count as such anyway. Towns getting overrun is something that can really only happen while you are at least somewhat near them, because unloaded locations do not really have real-time events, which is what animal/bandit assaults are. Named NPCs (at least the important kind) do not leave the towns they spawn in, although unique recruits can sometimes spawn as part of patrols, so if you can't find them it's either a glitch or (more likely) you simply, well, not finding them.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Reign Of Pain posted:

Hydroponic rice farming is the way to go....Sake and ricehashish bowls in the desert.

Just another day at Burning Man.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
Anyone have modding experience? How hard is it to add an NPC, or several, with dialogue?

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Turpitude posted:

Anyone have modding experience? How hard is it to add an NPC, or several, with dialogue?

https://discord.gg/3A4Wump

Join the Kenshi discord and ask. There is a vibrant modding community there.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Bedurndurn posted:

The container thing can just be a kink in your supply line or even another pawn doing the same thing at the same time. If priority 1 is haul rice to storage and priority 2 is cook rice, they might get conflicted as soon as they have rice in their hands since their top job is put rice in the barrel they took it from. It can be exceptionally frustrating (especially with multiple type barrels). Try to really, really specialize your guys with no overlap as much as possible. And if there must be overlap have the priorities for one much higher than the other.

I found the training flash happen when two pawns are told to train on two machines except with opposite priority. So while they're both training they might both be trying hard to get onto the other job at the same time, cancelling it out and creating a mexican standoff.

There is a lot of Buridan's rear end stuff happening in this game, it makes me really appreciate rimworld's personal needs system as a deus ex. If you play on ludicrous speed you'll notice how running off for food is important to workflow as it declogs it. I don't think rimworld ai is sophisticated, its just that giving the ai more excuses to say "gently caress this poo poo im watching tv" for an hour ends up removing most loops.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

wit posted:

If priority 1 is haul rice to storage and priority 2 is cook rice, they might get conflicted as soon as they have rice in their hands since their top job is put rice in the barrel they took it from
This is why you should never use "haul to X" jobs, by the way. The AI is actually smarter than you think, so long as you let it do things on its own instead of trying to micromanage it. If you have an appropriate container for a resource, your characters will automatically haul and dump resources there as they become available to them, so long as they have a job to interact with the workstation that produces the resource. An iron ore box next to an iron mine will automatically be filled to capacity, emptied for use in smelting iron places, and re-filled when no further plates can be smelted because no ore is left. A haul job will just gently caress with that automatized workflow and make everything harder and more fiddly on yourself.

This works even for more complex objects like weapons and armor, because appropriate containers for these types of items exist and you would otherwise need to remove every single produced weapon or piece of clothing from the exit slot. This can have silly side-effects, like the forging squaddie accidentally dumping his own clothes into the chest along with the stuff you want there, but that's more of a minor issue that doesn't crop up too often.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Mar 10, 2019

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
My weaponsmith would forge katanas until he looked like Roronoah Zoro, then go and sit down until I told someone else to take the swords off him and put them in the weapon cabinet. This was with a haul-to-cabinet job on the smith, I'll have to try without it.

My armorsmith would also put on the armor I told him to make, but I suspect that would have been fixed by giving him something to fill the armor slot, because whenever he made something else he would run it across the base to the armor chest. It actually kinda impeded his workflow, I need to get better at grouping industries.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Be aware that there are specific containers that are internally marked as places for storage, even though you wouldn't be able to tell the difference by looking at them from in-game. It's the difference between a General Chest and a Weapon Cabinet - they both look just like regular inventories, but one is internally declared as a go-to place for dumping unneeded weaponry, so check if you're really using the right one and not just something named Weapon Cabinet. If you can't make it work in your game as-is, try using a mod that improves storage containers. They usually specifically add better-sorted chests that are intended to solve that particular issue.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Is there a way to force, either legit console command, to force a NPC to become part of your group?

I've been playing as a slave and there's another NPC that has been continually breaking out and fighting the guards just like I have been and I really like their moxy and would like to bring them with me when I decide to break out.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Vakal posted:

Is there a way to force, either legit console command, to force a NPC to become part of your group?

I've been playing as a slave and there's another NPC that has been continually breaking out and fighting the guards just like I have been and I really like their moxy and would like to bring them with me when I decide to break out.

You can save scum until he offers to follow you after unlocking his cage and shackles, then save scum right before getting out of Rebirth until he joins your party :v:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Vakal posted:

The Paradise Falls slavery mod can effectively do this, as can the Prisoner Recruitment mod. In fact, since the dude is already a slave, Paradise Falls would probably allow you do just talk to him while he is in his cage and tell him to "yo, you work for me now, move it" and have the whole thing over with.

These are mods I recommend in general, they make the whole squad system far more flexible by turning effectively anyone at all into a potential recruit. Don't use both at once, though, they're incompatible due to overlapping dialogue triggers.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Leal posted:

You can save scum until he offers to follow you after unlocking his cage and shackles, then save scum right before getting out of Rebirth until he joins your party :v:

Cool, thanks.

Also, is it normal for your characters head to get shaved when you get enslaved, or did I run into a bug?

Either way I kind of like it since my guy has a long beard and now looks like the male monk from Diablo 3 which fits in nicely with his growing martial arts skills.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Vakal posted:

Cool, thanks.

Also, is it normal for your characters head to get shaved when you get enslaved, or did I run into a bug?

Either way I kind of like it since my guy has a long beard and now looks like the male monk from Diablo 3 which fits in nicely with his growing martial arts skills.

They do shave you when you get enslaved. After you escape it'll come back over time or if you hit up a plastic surgeon.

wit
Jul 26, 2011
I know the game is ambiguous on lore but having stumbled upon a librarian in the farthest east and just had my mary sue blasted up (carrying said ambiguous lore funny enough), are those maybe malfunctioning orbital lasers from the apocalypse? They couldn't be any kind of radiation, not the way they move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

ive been playing as a skeleton as my first game, and so far i have levelled up my labour ability a lot by mining stuff. Is there a way to craft building materials, or am i stuck buying them from the bartender? also the city i started in is completely broken except for the bar, can I help fix up the place or anything to get more stores?