Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Having a baby in America was one of the most radicalizing experiences in my life. It was on par with homelessness and seeing my mother decide not to fight her cancer because it would bankrupt us (even choosing to die ended up bankrupting us).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Americans trying to profit off holding a new-born baby close to you is the definition of ghoulish and hosed up

You guys never get the guillotine out, you probably don't even know what the word means because there's no profit in it for the department of education

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

I also don't wakarimasu

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Americans trying to profit off holding a new-born baby close to you is the definition of ghoulish and hosed up

You guys never get the guillotine out, you probably don't even know what the word means because there's no profit in it for the department of education

How cute you think the department of education sets history curriculum standards.

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
ok but when do they file for bankruptcy :confused:

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

https://twitter.com/dylanmatt/status/1103446884167880709

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

so you're reveling in victim-blaming now

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

everyone, the american healthcare system is garbage, an immoral system of horrific exploitation that deserves nothing but complete extermination

however

the skin to skin thing is actually a little more complicated.

here's an article. it has something to do with a doula
https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/doula-explains-why-hospital-charged-parents-39-to-hold-newborn-baby-in-viral-post/

anyway, death to the insurance industry and for-profit health care

i was reading the twitter comments and saw that and i had to post something that i saw as true. i'm sorry :negative:

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/thegarance/status/1104436832425660422

Nothing can go wrong with this idea.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

RaySmuckles posted:

everyone, the american healthcare system is garbage, an immoral system of horrific exploitation that deserves nothing but complete extermination

however

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/doula-explains-why-hospital-charged-parents-39-to-hold-newborn-baby-in-viral-post/

"it costs $40 to have the attending nurse make sure the mother doesn't drop the baby" doesn't have the persuasive power you seem to think

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Just think about that if you stratify it.

"Don't drop this" and handing the baby over takes, what, 15 seconds? Let's be generous and say 30 seconds.

That means the hourly going rate of being a "skin to skin" professional nets $4,794 per hour for the hospital.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I look forward to the confusing half-baked reboot that ends up making huge money none the less.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
aaaaaaa stop trying to justify rationalize dissect debunk or clarify that poo poo

medicalization of childbirth is already a huge massive issue on its own, and on top of it (relevant here because a tenner says the c section was completely unnecessary), we have a clear textbook example of its capitalization

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

RaySmuckles posted:

i'm sorry :negative:

lmao at all the people who think a post with this stuff in it is some sort of defense of practice

i'm just pointing out its not "literally charging someone to hold their baby" and i think its important to be factually correct when debating

hackbunny posted:

aaaaaaa stop trying to justify rationalize dissect debunk or clarify that poo poo

medicalization of childbirth is already a huge massive issue on its own, and on top of it (relevant here because a tenner says the c section was completely unnecessary), we have a clear textbook example of its capitalization

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Just think about that if you stratify it.

"Don't drop this" and handing the baby over takes, what, 15 seconds? Let's be generous and say 30 seconds.

That means the hourly going rate of being a "skin to skin" professional nets $4,794 per hour for the hospital.

Main Paineframe posted:

"it costs $40 to have the attending nurse make sure the mother doesn't drop the baby" doesn't have the persuasive power you seem to think

lol at all these posts just because i posted an article clarifying a tweet

i'm no fishmech but being outraged for the right reasons is kind of important

but once again, from my op, which is apparently some sort of defense of this bullshit:

RaySmuckles posted:

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

RaySmuckles posted:

i'm just pointing out its not "literally charging someone to hold their baby"

the explanation is bullshit hth

RaySmuckles posted:

its important to be factually correct when debating

tell me again how you're no fishmech

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

hackbunny posted:

the explanation is bullshit hth

tell me again how you're no fishmech

cuz you're paying for an optional doula to be there

that's the charge

not paying to touch or have a "touch professional" to touch the baby for 30 seconds

you're paying for an optional doula to be in the room during the procedure

note: the health care industry is still bullshit and needs to be destroyed

also note: explanations are not "bullshit." getting things right and knowing what you're actually talking about is "cool"

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

hackbunny posted:

The natural birth movement is interesting because it was originally a response to things like this. The underlying point was that you don't need all the modern intervention most of the time and that the person actually giving birth should be in control. Even now hospitals and doctors tend to push you towards having a "standard" birth and get real annoyed when you want to control it in any way. Unfortunately the natural birth stuff was itself coopted by capitalism and is now used to push all kinds of quakery.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

RaySmuckles posted:

that's the charge

not paying to touch or have a "touch professional" to touch the baby for 30 seconds

There isn't an :ironicat: big enough for being the "getting things right" guy who doesn't read the articles they post

RaySmuckles posted:

also note: explanations are not "bullshit." getting things right and knowing what you're actually talking about is "cool"

Keep rolling with the punches

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

hackbunny posted:

There isn't an :ironicat: big enough for being the "getting things right" guy who doesn't read the articles they post

pretty sure there's one that grows bigger and bigger

probably an outside gif though

edit: also, from the article

quote:

The charge is not for holding the baby, but for the additional caregiver

one last time, the insurance industry and private health care system need to loving die and disappear and their crimes are countless and many

RaySmuckles has issued a correction as of 23:37 on Mar 9, 2019

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

The prose understander has logged on

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/0xDUDE/status/1104482014202351616?s=08

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UVv3U2Brck

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Main Paineframe posted:

"Baby dies after being dropped by mother after C-Section" does though.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

shut up shut up shut up
stop finding excuses
stop well actuallying

a nurse looking over while the mother hugs the newborn IS NOT A BILLABLE ITEM AND DOES NOT NEED A TECHNICAL NAME except in a creepy dystopia

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

why do you Love Fact but find it so hard to Love Fellow Man

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I’m imagining a nurse diving to catch a baby being dropped like a football player trying to scoop up a fumble

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Oh for gently caress's sake. It won't be a goddamn velociraptor, it'll be a chicken with teeth.

I know I'm being a killjoy but the reporting on this story every few years when Horner decides he wants to see his name in the news again just pisses me right off.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

RaySmuckles posted:

pretty sure there's one that grows bigger and bigger

You have two options really

https://i.makeagif.com/media/9-25-2015/XoHPCX.mp4

or

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

RaySmuckles posted:

i think its important to be factually correct when debating

Lol is it 2008 again?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

http://www.newsonjapan.com/2019/02/28/kyoto-temple-creates-android-version-of-buddhist-goddess-of-mercy/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KptQUZ6Vjj0

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

there will be no dinosaurs, flying cars, living inside the internet, self driving cars or synthetic consciousness

go home science! you're drunk!

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

RaySmuckles posted:

that's the charge

no you're not, you illiterate loving idiot

go read the article again, you stupid poo poo. it has nothing to do with doulas

don't try to fishmech us with this weakass crap

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/cushbomb/status/1104549160013840384?s=19

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/dominic__smith/status/1104497269485649925?s=21

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
are clickbait article titles cyberpunk or just capitalismpunk? :thunk:

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

personally i find the $13000 more concerning than the $40

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Prav posted:

theyre the same thing. hospital bills just have arbitrary numbers written on them

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

RaySmuckles posted:

however

i was reading the twitter comments and saw that and i had to post something that i saw as true. i'm sorry :negative:

“I’m impressed with how low the number is,” another said. “As a mother who has had two cesareans, one with skin to skin and one without, I can tell you just how priceless it truly is.”

lmfao

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

Prav posted:

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

“I’m impressed with how low the number is,” another said. “As a mother who has had two cesareans, one with skin to skin and one without, I can tell you just how priceless it truly is.”

lmfao

lol just making GBS threads on the kid who didnt get it