Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

To this day I am kind of shocked they didn't tie some special weapon drop to not using the gimmick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Tallgeese posted:

To this day I am kind of shocked they didn't tie some special weapon drop to not using the gimmick.

Profaned Capital is too half-baked for that kind of neat touch. They got Sieg’s quest working there but about nothing else.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
He’s cake if you did Sieg’s storyline but I guess it’s easy to miss it all

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Sieg in the well is one of the silliest NPC interactions in a series infamous for silly NPC interactions. Let’s put a guy into a well for no reason that is explained, make sure it’s a well that you can’t actually get into yourself, put the well a bit off the main path through the area so you’d never know he was there unless you felt like poking around a well for some reason, and he only shows up once you have opened the shortcuts that mean you no longer need to take the path that he’s near. It’s bonkers.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

skasion posted:

Sieg in the well is one of the silliest NPC interactions in a series infamous for silly NPC interactions. Let’s put a guy into a well for no reason that is explained, make sure it’s a well that you can’t actually get into yourself, put the well a bit off the main path through the area so you’d never know he was there unless you felt like poking around a well for some reason, and he only shows up once you have opened the shortcuts that mean you no longer need to take the path that he’s near. It’s bonkers.

Dark Souls hates its storyline.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

skasion posted:

And if you throw his fat rear end onion armor down the well he can naturally climb out :D

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

heard u like girls posted:

And if you throw his fat rear end onion armor down the well he can naturally climb out :D

Well of course. It's modesty keeping him down there, not physical strength!

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Well of course. It's modesty keeping him down there, not physical strength!

Hmm...

Hmmmm...

Hm.. Oh !

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

He piles up the armor and climbs up on top of it. Obviously.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

skasion posted:

I feel like Patches pushed him down there.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

And Tyler Too! posted:

I feel like Patches pushed him down there.
Patches stole his armor while he was sleeping somewhere, THEN threw him down the well.

I always figured that the bottom of the cathedral well looks like the area under the well in Painted World (the original), aka a vast labyrinth of SKELETONS WHEEL, SKELETONS DEAL (a bunch of damage). To make his epic escape, Siegward needs his armor!

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I was really interested in Siegward's quest on my first playthrough and the well part almost hosed me up. I found him in the well, but I couldn't figure out how to get Patches to show up in the cathedral. I think I might have talked to Rosaria too early? gently caress if I know. It was one of the few things I googled my first time because I wanted to try and salvage it. Luckily I found out I could get the Tower key and have Patches show up there and buy the armor off him.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Today I learned the Silvercat ring will only protect you from so much fall damage. That big ladder in profaned capital? I'll just jump down, it's way faster! (You died)

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

And Tyler Too! posted:

Today I learned the Silvercat ring will only protect you from so much fall damage. That big ladder in profaned capital? I'll just jump down, it's way faster! (You died)

Pretty sure it was like that in the other games wrt Fall Control, etc. If it's at or above "Prism Stone makes a screaming noise" it will always kill you.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Pussy Quipped posted:

I was really interested in Siegward's quest on my first playthrough and the well part almost hosed me up. I found him in the well, but I couldn't figure out how to get Patches to show up in the cathedral. I think I might have talked to Rosaria too early? gently caress if I know. It was one of the few things I googled my first time because I wanted to try and salvage it. Luckily I found out I could get the Tower key and have Patches show up there and buy the armor off him.

Iirc it's when you open the last shortcut, the big doors near the way to rosaria, that either patches shows up or Siegward is in the well, or both i forgot.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
those loving rock lizards in Archdragon Peak are possibly the most annoying enemies I've come across recently. Their attack hit boxes are screwy as gently caress and their rolling attack is ridiculously homing and hard to roll past. What the gently caress

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Kick them, it flips them over. They are fuckers

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Tallgeese posted:

The Lightning Spear line is the best it's ever been

It's nowhere near DS2's pre-nerf state of "Imagine three players circling the edge of Smelter Demon's arena chucking lightning bolts - forever."

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Yhorm is super dumb and I had to look up how to even use the sword.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

skasion posted:

It’s a gimmick fight. Gotta find the gimmick

Hmm...

Hmm...

Got to use my head.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Pyromancy is now 100% my favorite playstyle. The bottom room in Irithyll dungeon with the 6 wardens? You can go bowling for jailers with Chaos Bed Vestiges. I'm gonna have to Blue Cop it up to get that ring with the extra 2 spell slots. I must have more pyromancies.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

And Tyler Too! posted:

Pyromancy is now 100% my favorite playstyle. The bottom room in Irithyll dungeon with the 6 wardens? You can go bowling for jailers with Chaos Bed Vestiges. I'm gonna have to Blue Cop it up to get that ring with the extra 2 spell slots. I must have more pyromancies.

You don't need that many, most spells are useless.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

You don't need that many, most spells are useless.

I kinda like floating chaos

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Lawman 0 posted:

I kinda like floating chaos

Black Serpent, CBV, Rapport, Mist, Black Flame, Maybe Great Chaos flame?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Amppelix posted:

If you literally cannot think of any use cases for the actually incredibly powerful ability of dealing damage (or causing a variety of other effects in the case of spells) at a significant range, well, I don't know what to tell you. The damage numbers don't have to be very good for this ability to immediately break many an encounter design, and it does. Another reason magic doesn't feel as good in this game compared to previous ones is FROM has slowly been getting wise to how ranged attacks break their games and there's less immediately and easily exploitable situations in DS3 than in 1 and 2.

It's still really good though.

All you need for a bow to do the same stuff is a couple titanites and some arrows, vs building specifically for magic slots/damage and giving up estus and having to deal with mana and knowing where all the good spells are

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Soul Stream is the most anime thing ever and I wish it appeared earlier than grand archives.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Amppelix posted:

If you literally cannot think of any use cases for the actually incredibly powerful ability of dealing damage (or causing a variety of other effects in the case of spells) at a significant range, well, I don't know what to tell you. The damage numbers don't have to be very good for this ability to immediately break many an encounter design, and it does. Another reason magic doesn't feel as good in this game compared to previous ones is FROM has slowly been getting wise to how ranged attacks break their games and there's less immediately and easily exploitable situations in DS3 than in 1 and 2.

It's still really good though.
The damage is really, really good. It's just that you can't go halfway. If you play an optimized sorcerer, the homing crystal spheres + crystal spear should be a 1 hit KO for almost anything you meet, PC's included. You have to be all in, and familiar enough with the game to run only 4-7 estus flasks.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 8, 2019

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I wouldn't run magic of any kind for your first run if you're going blind. You need to know what you're headed for.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
My girlfriend now tells me Prithee Be Careful when i leave the apartment

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

bows1 posted:

My girlfriend now tells me Prithee Be Careful when i leave the apartment

that's a Keeper :v:

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Levitate posted:

those loving rock lizards in Archdragon Peak are possibly the most annoying enemies I've come across recently. Their attack hit boxes are screwy as gently caress and their rolling attack is ridiculously homing and hard to roll past. What the gently caress

Poise weapon art on the caestus and take out your frustrations from every preceding enemy. Therapy souls.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
What are some fun, weird dex weapons for a PVE playthrough? Are the whips any good?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Popelmon posted:

What are some fun, weird dex weapons for a PVE playthrough? Are the whips any good?

Witch's Locks rule but they're Int/Faith

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Popelmon posted:

I like the Crow Quills, part Rapier, part fistful of knives. They get an S scaling in DEX too and you can get them fairly early with some Ariandel suicide running.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Popelmon posted:

Astora greatsword. Like any old greatsword, but with S dex scaling and a spear/halberd skill.
Sellsword twinblades. L1 L1 L1 L1 L1 L1 L1
Follower saber. The skill isn't as good as it used to be but still fun.
Lucerne. Everyone always forgets this weapon is in this game, but you can get it quite early.
Corvian great scythe. Bleeds you and enemies, pierces shields.
Friede's scythes. Needs a little bit of INT and FTH to work but looks badass.

Don't forget to make everything sharp.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I rushed my DeX guy up to archives from yhorm and dont even like gotthards twin swords... what a shame.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

vandalism posted:

I rushed my DeX guy up to archives from yhorm and dont even like gotthards twin swords... what a shame.

Gotthards Twinswords have crazy range so you will appreciate them especially in PvP, if you play with them a bit.

They remind me of the Rakuyo.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Popelmon posted:

I had fun with the bandit knife. Bonus points if you go hollow/luck build for even dumber bleeds.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Did a full run with lucerne, eventually trading for the mad kings crucifix. Much more fun moveset than spears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Goddamn the arrow rain from Aldrich is a pain in the rear end