Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

suicidesteve posted:

So it can't beat the 2 best decks but it can beat the other decks that also can't beat the 2 best decks. That's pretty much what I figured.

It also might not beat Boros since it's tough to Pestilence your opponent's creatures away when they can burn you for 12.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Hellsau posted:

It also might not beat Boros since it's tough to Pestilence your opponent's creatures away when they can burn you for 12.

WB pestilence is the same as all my favorite decks in pauper: it’s not one of the top two decks, but it’s cool as hell.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Mezzanon posted:

WB pestilence is the same as all my favorite decks in pauper: it’s not one of the top two decks, but it’s cool as hell.

This will make me feel good when I pay $35 to play it and lose to the top 2 decks repeatedly.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

how unlucky is it that pteramander isn't a common

i feel like I want 4 more good threats in UB Delver. I only have 8

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

suicidesteve posted:

This will make me feel good when I pay $35 to play it and lose to the top 2 decks repeatedly.

That’ll happen. You might actually be okay vs delver, you probably get wrecked by tron though

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

Working as intended. Delver plays a 1 mana 3/2 flyer and a 1 mana 5/5 with unlimited churn and permission. You don’t need more threats you’re the best deck in the format

Edit: isn’t ub delver like 40/75 of the legacy deaths shadow list?

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 6, 2019

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

git probe and gush are banned in legacy for a reason

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Hellsau posted:

git probe and gush are banned in legacy for a reason

because wotc are cowards with no imagination, agreed

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Jace's Phantasm exists

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Silhouette posted:

Jace's Phantasm exists

It's difficult to play Jace's Phantasm when everyone is inexplicably playing Bojuka Bog and Relic of Progenitus.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Hellsau posted:

It's difficult to play Jace's Phantasm when everyone is inexplicably playing Bojuka Bog and Relic of Progenitus.

Well you see, Tron plays Mnemonic Wall and so it's good against Tron,,,

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Hellsau posted:

Sadly yeah, I tried a Delver/Mill variant build a few months ago that basically just used Mind Sculpt and Vision Charm to enable Phantasm, and it had a mostly bad record. I did jank out a few Delver players by disrupting their flips and a Tron player by milling every single one of their Power Plants (who then ragequit), so altogether i'd rate the deck a success :v:

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
I'm trying to get better at playing tribe. Do I just lose to bogles and Gond and Pestilence?

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

I'm trying to put together a group of 4 (hopefully similarly powerful) pauper decks for our gaming group. What four decks should I put together for this? I'd like there to be a bit of variety if possible. help me thread!

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

TheTofuShop posted:

I'm trying to put together a group of 4 (hopefully similarly powerful) pauper decks for our gaming group. What four decks should I put together for this? I'd like there to be a bit of variety if possible. help me thread!

As long as you avoid Delver and Tron, pretty much any other meta decks should work nicely with each other.

For four different styles of play, maybe:
Stompy -Aggro
MBC -control
Bogles- Voltron
Boros Monarch -midrange

Pop one out and put in dredge or izzet blitz for combo?

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Hello all. I decided to try out Pauper on MTGO, there isn't really a paper group playing it where I am right now but it seemed like a fun format. After realizing I could play Wild Mongrel and Lightening Bolt, two cards I have a soft spot for, I threw together a G/R Madness deck. This is what I've been trying so far.

4 Basking Rootwalla
4 Borderland Explorer
2 Faithless Looting
4 Fiery Temper
7 Forest
3 Hooting Mandrills
4 Insolent Neonate
3 Lightning Axe
4 Lightning Bolt
8 Mountain
4 Rancor
4 Reckless Wurm
4 Rugged Highlands
1 Tormenting Voice
4 Wild Mongrel

Sideboard:
2 Electrickery
2 Feed the Clan
4 Gleeful Sabotage
1 Lightning Axe
3 Pyroblast
3 Vines of Vastwood

So far it's been doing ok, but a bit inconsistent. I sometimes have trouble getting the last bits of damage in, especially if I've had to use Bolts and Temper as removal. Any suggestions for things t change?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Arrogant Wurm was downshifted to common in Vintage Masters, and you should run 8 Wurms and go full stompy. 4 Faithless seems advisable as well since you can turn it into card advantage reasonably easily.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Mezzanon posted:

I'm trying to get better at playing tribe. Do I just lose to bogles and Gond and Pestilence?

you should be fine against bogles, they don't have much interaction. game one you can run out an early tribe and bait them into leaving stuff back to block.

pestilence seems slow, just sculpt a hand and run out tribe once you have mana to protect it. if they're not pressuring you then you can sit back and counter their card advantage and business spells to buy you a lot of draw steps. the long game favors you against anything leaning on reactive cards

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

neaden posted:

So far it's been doing ok, but a bit inconsistent. I sometimes have trouble getting the last bits of damage in, especially if I've had to use Bolts and Temper as removal. Any suggestions for things t change?

insolent neonate is really bad, especially when you aren't already playing the full set of faithless lootings. max out those, maybe play another tormenting voice, play arrogant wurm like Hellsau said. with the rancors that gives basically all of your guys evasion and they're all huge

edit: I noodled on insolent neonate a little bit longer but I still don't like it. I get the joke, which is to have more ways to play a turn 3 wurm, and it carries a rancor just fine, but I like having a whole mess of creatures that don't die to bolt instead. I think having the wurm on turn 3 is overstated in terms of importance. Play against affinity where they just poo poo out 4/4s forever and also play some other spell. You can do the same thing.

Johnny Five-Jaces fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 10, 2019

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

little munchkin posted:

you should be fine against bogles, they don't have much interaction. game one you can run out an early tribe and bait them into leaving stuff back to block.

pestilence seems slow, just sculpt a hand and run out tribe once you have mana to protect it. if they're not pressuring you then you can sit back and counter their card advantage and business spells to buy you a lot of draw steps. the long game favors you against anything leaning on reactive cards

You're probably right on bogles, I probably keep thinking of modern bogles which has daybreak coronet for lifelink forever. I still have a lot of learning to do with tribe, that's why i'm running the local pauper league.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

You might also want to consider Gathan Raiders for GR madness : https://scryfall.com/card/fut/99/gathan-raiders . Its both a discard outlet and a big threat when you are hellbent.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Thanks for the advice all. Right now I'm trying out -4 neonate, -1 tormenting voice +2 faithless looting +3 arrogant wurm. The lootings have helped but the wurm is getting stuck in my hands a bit too often. I feel like without neonate rancors aren't working either. It's too easy for my two drop to get removed and rancor gets stuck in my hand. I'm thinking maybe replace it with burning tree emmissary. Gathan raiders could be nice but I'm not sure I'd get hell-bent reliablely.

thocan
Jan 18, 2014
New-ish player. I'm looking to get into a 60 card format, and kinda landed on pauper a while ago due to cost and not wanting to deal with rotation. I mostly play commander, and a bit of sealed. Read about a bunch of archetypes, trying to decide what to order. Though maybe i'm over thinking it, and should just spend 30 bucks to have a deck.

Anyway, does anyone have any insight on Thermo Delver? Seems like a kinda neat list, and I could pretty easily turn it into blitz or another delver variant if I want to change things up. Is it a decent deck, or is trying to mash together burn and delver just a greedy idea? Any changes I should look at making before I buy it (looks like there's a few variations on the list floating around, link is just a random one)? Bad choice for a new player?

I've also been looking at Infect and RB Eldrazi Reanimator, and am hesitant about how all-in they are on their gameplan. Though Reanimator does look pretty entertaining when it works.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

I do not like playing thermo-alchemist in a deck with reactive cards like counterspell and vapor snag. That and the archer are easier threats to remove than, say, Spire Golem or Gurmag Angler, and I'm not convinced that winning outside of combat is enough upside to open yourself up to more interaction from your opponents.

otoh, pauper is about having a good time and playing cards you want to play, so I'm going to play this: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1716392#online

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

I do not like playing thermo-alchemist in a deck with reactive cards like counterspell and vapor snag. That and the archer are easier threats to remove than, say, Spire Golem or Gurmag Angler, and I'm not convinced that winning outside of combat is enough upside to open yourself up to more interaction from your opponents.

Do you think it would make sense to cut back on the reactive stuff (or move it to the SB) in favor of more burn pieces? That might open up the noncombat stuff a bit without leaving it short on removal.

Edit: or at that point am I just building bad burn?

I see what you're saying about alchemist and archer.

I guess it's worth saying this deck is gonna mostly be for kitchen table stuff and maybe the odd charity event at my lgs. I'm mostly trying to make sure the deck is gonna not flop horribly, and be kinda fun while I figure out what I like in the format. BR Eldrazi Reanimator was my other idea, but apprehensive of the decks whiff chances.

Is that goblin aristocrat storm? Rad.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

thocan posted:

Do you think it would make sense to cut back on the reactive stuff (or move it to the SB) in favor of more burn pieces? That might open up the noncombat stuff a bit without leaving it short on removal.

Edit: or at that point am I just building bad burn?

I see what you're saying about alchemist and archer.

I guess it's worth saying this deck is gonna mostly be for kitchen table stuff and maybe the odd charity event at my lgs. I'm mostly trying to make sure the deck is gonna not flop horribly, and be kinda fun while I figure out what I like in the format. BR Eldrazi Reanimator was my other idea, but apprehensive of the decks whiff chances.

Is that goblin aristocrat storm? Rad.

yea you're just building bad burn or bad delver but if it's a casual deck it should work out fine. my criticism would be that brainstorm is bad without shuffle effects. either cut the cliffs for ash barrens or swap brainstorm for chain lightning or needle drop or something

b/r reanimator sees like a poor deck for kitchen table. win or lose there's not a lot of fun interactive gameplay to be had

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Mar 16, 2019

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
2-0 in my local pauper league after beating mono blue delver

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Anyone else been messing around with Oops All Instants? Feels pretty good imo.

I don't really understand the single radiant fountain? I think I might just switch it and a sandbar for basic islands and squeeze in another spire golem somewhere.

I also don't love force spike - I'm siding it out nearly every match. Haven't played against much aggro though where I feel like a t1 counter would be important. Might just try mana leaks or something there?

Thoughts on squeezing in gush and foil?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

I don't like playing control decks that can't beat Tron. It doesn't have a robust enough card advantage engine to support Foil and Gush sets you back too much such that why bother playing a control deck at that point?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Somehow beat mono black control with tireless tribe today lmao

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Mezzanon posted:

Somehow beat mono black control with tireless tribe today lmao

lol

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Pretty sure I’m paired against bogles next week, welp.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Hellsau posted:

I don't like playing control decks that can't beat Tron. It doesn't have a robust enough card advantage engine to support Foil and Gush sets you back too much such that why bother playing a control deck at that point?

*nodding* yeah ban tron

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

field balm posted:

*nodding* yeah ban tron

Ban Delver, Tron, Gush, GitProbe, Foil, Flicker and probably Rancor.

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account

Hellsau posted:

Ban Delver, Tron, Gush, GitProbe, Foil, Flicker and probably Rancor.

Ban lands too

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I'm getting together with some friends to play some Pauper and thought I'd throw together a Tron build to go along with my other decks. What's the best build to use right now?

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

I'm getting together with some friends to play some Pauper and thought I'd throw together a Tron build to go along with my other decks. What's the best build to use right now?

Pretty sure the best build of Tron is a purely hypothetical build because only Hellsau can actually play it on a chess timer. It's probably a lot better IRL

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

In paper, play a Fangren Marauder version of Tron, either with Mulldrifters and other good blue and red cards, or just 4 Marauder 4 Crusher 4 Crop Rotation 4 Map Turbo Tron. Tron is just miserable to play and play against so you might as well play the more fun versions, even if they can't beat Flicker versions.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Hellsau posted:

4 Marauder 4 Crusher 4 Crop Rotation 4 Map Turbo Tron

Ooof that sounds amazing. List?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

Ooof that sounds amazing. List?

It doesn't win online so I'll just throw one together real quick:

4 Ulamog's Crusher
4 Fangren Marauder
4 Wretched Gryff and/or Mulldrifter (whatever mix you want)

4 Ancient Stirrings
4 Crop Rotation
2 Pulse of Murasa
2 Rolling Thunder

4 Chromatic Sphere
4 Chromatic Star
4 Expedition Map
4 Prophetic Prism

4 Urza's Tower
4 Urza's Plant
4 Urza's Mine
3 Haunted Fengraf
3 Shimmering Grotto

and two slots for removal spells or Condescends or more Gryffs/Mulldrifters or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Thoughts about Reap and Sow?