Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Couldn't Gog announce they will be selling NOLF or whatever because of its limbo status? I bet that would get potential copyright holders off their assess in a hurry to figure out the ownership.

no, you'd get 9 separate lawsuits with each claiming they owe 100% and then at the end of it you still get sued by the actual people who own it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Buller posted:

Will that sweet Lord of the Rings RTS game based on the movies ever be re-released and patched :(

https://t3aonline.net/download/

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Couldn't Gog announce they will be selling NOLF or whatever because of its limbo status? I bet that would get potential copyright holders off their assess in a hurry to figure out the ownership.

That was Night Dive's plan, actually. File trademark, see who contests it claiming to own it, make a deal with them. Except it's like three different companies who think they might potentially have ownership, but couldn't be assed figuring this out and doing a licensing deal, but obviously reserved legal action anyway in case Night Dive went ahead with selling NOLF based on the trademark they filed. Sure you could pursue something like this and go to court in order to figure out who really owns the IP, but that's costly and you can't count on the IP owner to sell the game again or make a licensing deal any more than they did before.

That said, the original Night Dive NOLF story was years ago, there were newer rumours last summer and maybe not all is lost :ohdear:

orcane fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 10, 2019

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

no, you'd get 9 separate lawsuits with each claiming they owe 100% and then at the end of it you still get sued by the actual people who own it

But what if they never actually sell any copies before the legal processes are complete? Or would putting out a press release stating the intention to sell be enough to break copy right laws?

Edit: ^^ I see, thanks. Let's hope there's another way then.

Captain Scandinaiva fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Mar 10, 2019

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Just unearthed a CD of Submarine titans from my collection. I wonder when they'll get to that, because i doubt i'll be able to install this properly on this version of windows

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Create a shell company in North Korea, sell dead games from there.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Both versions of Diablo look the same to me and the mouse speed is so fast, it's unplayable :(

Any ideas?

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

H13 posted:

Both versions of Diablo look the same to me and the mouse speed is so fast, it's unplayable :(

Any ideas?

?

https://www.gog.com/forum/diablo/stutteringlagging_mouse

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I hope someone manages to get NOLF to an online store again but what I want even more is being able to play my idealized memory of how the game played back then, if it makes sense. I'm sure the games didn't age well :(

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I've played NOLF recently and other than some technical issues (fixed by INI editing and in my case capping the framerate to 60 fps in RTSS to get rid of random mouse lag) they played fine?

NOLF looks a bit more dated but the slightly cartoony look helps get over the relatively simple geometry and lower res textures. NOLF2 looks pretty good for its age. There were no gameplay issues I encountered that made me think "bleh, games today do this so much better".

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Anyone play Divine Divinity?

From the videos I've watched it looks more like a 1 character CRPG than a Diablo ARPG.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

It is a cross between Baldur’s Gate and Diablo, leaning more towards the Diablo side of things because of the real-time combat. But you’ve got an almost open world that is more than just dungeons and have quests that are more than “kill X/collect Y”.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Mar 13, 2019

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

And incredible voice acting.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

boy do I ever wish I could play some x-wing and TIE fighter again, but windows decided like a year ago to no longer recognize my joystick in any older games at all, period

I was pretty far in my xw:a campaign too :(

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

OhFunny posted:

Anyone play Divine Divinity?

From the videos I've watched it looks more like a 1 character CRPG than a Diablo ARPG.

It's more like a cross between Diablo 2 and Ultima 7. It's got the world interactivity and quest poo poo of an Ultima game, but it's realtime combat similar to Diablo. Hot tip: you can pause whenever you want in combat and clicking on an enemy will unpause. Because combat is fast and goofy you'll want to be pausing a lot. I've never finished the game but played enough of it to say it still looks pretty good! Since it also support widescreen, I recommend playing in 720p. That way you get proper graphics and UI scaling to fill your widescreen monitor, and things don't get too small. Also if the game runs/loads really slowly, just disable the 3d hardware graphics option. It still looks great, loads fast, and plays pretty good.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

sandoz posted:

boy do I ever wish I could play some x-wing and TIE fighter again, but windows decided like a year ago to no longer recognize my joystick in any older games at all, period

what joystick do you have

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I read some article years ago that one of the companies that had stake in NOLF went tits up and sold all their IP rights to some random real estate company. When Night Dive got in touch with them they demanded an absurd amount of money and it just wasn't viable. That is at least one of the reasons it'll probably never happen.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Lodin posted:

I read some article years ago that one of the companies that had stake in NOLF went tits up and sold all their IP rights to some random real estate company. When Night Dive got in touch with them they demanded an absurd amount of money and it just wasn't viable. That is at least one of the reasons it'll probably never happen.
No, it was WB that stopped Night Dive from trying to bring it back.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Lodin posted:

You're probably thinking about System Shock.
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/02/after-protracted-legal-battle-system-shock-2-comes-to-gog-com/

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Divine Divinity was just a degree too janky for me to get into.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Buller posted:

Divine Divinity was just a degree too janky for me to get into.

The first dungeon you have to get 90% through before being able to leave town is janky bullshit supreme.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

When I first got the game I thought the entire game was that dungeon, like Diablo 1. It took me 3 tries before I got through it and it blew me away that there was more to the game.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Statutory Ape posted:

what joystick do you have

saitek X-55

works fine in all modern games period, but if you look in joy.cpl the calibration screen for the stick only is completely blank (throttle shows up perfectly of course)

i've had an open thread about it on logitech support for almost two years now, no one has responded lol

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

The first dungeon you have to get 90% through before being able to leave town is janky bullshit supreme.

It's only a couple of hours, unless you constantly go back to town or something.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Can anyone think of any possible way to incorporate a hard copy of Hellfire with GOGs version of Diablo? I really like the expansion, own a physical copy of it and, like many, don't think that it will ever be available yet would like to play base Diablo without having to hunt down and apply numerous patches.

I have my concerns about digital distribution of software, but it is definitely handy for keeping things updated.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

JustJeff88 posted:

Can anyone think of any possible way to incorporate a hard copy of Hellfire with GOGs version of Diablo? I really like the expansion, own a physical copy of it and, like many, don't think that it will ever be available yet would like to play base Diablo without having to hunt down and apply numerous patches.

I have my concerns about digital distribution of software, but it is definitely handy for keeping things updated.

http://www.gog.com/forum/diablo/gogs_diablo_hellfire_expansion_retail

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I like how there's only one review posted after 2014 for BloodNet.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

sandoz posted:

It's weird, but you can get an third party or an X box controller and use that to at least navigate while you use the keyboard for any other buttons like redirecting shields

In the end, any joystick I ever got to own play these games ended up constantly leaning to the left or right anyway, and it was barely used.

Unrelated note, i can't wait until Blizzard Releases Warcraft 2. I'll actually play that more than i did Starcraft HD

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fargin Icehole posted:

Unrelated note, i can't wait until Blizzard Releases Warcraft 2. I'll actually play that more than i did Starcraft HD

Any time someone's brought up rereleasing Warcraft 1&2, their response has been "you don't actually want it, it's not as good as you remember". Though if they're willing to drop Diablo on GoG.com rather than Battle.net, I wouldn't be surprised if there's an internal green light somewhere to do the same to the old Warcraft games.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Any time someone's brought up rereleasing Warcraft 1&2, their response has been "you don't actually want it, it's not as good as you remember". Though if they're willing to drop Diablo on GoG.com rather than Battle.net, I wouldn't be surprised if there's an internal green light somewhere to do the same to the old Warcraft games.
GOG releases of the first two Warcrafts were confirmed by Blizzard in their blog post about the Diablo 1 release. It's not a matter of "if", but "when".

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Kins posted:

GOG releases of the first two Warcrafts were confirmed by Blizzard in their blog post about the Diablo 1 release. It's not a matter of "if", but "when".

:magical:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

THE BAR posted:

It's only a couple of hours, unless you constantly go back to town or something.

That's not the point, the point is that as Greenlight put it, when you are in that village prologue it looks like 90% of the game is going to be Diablo-esque dungeon diving.

ps. Yeah, Warcraft 1 and 2 do nothing exciting. They don't represent a lost magic of a past era of gaming because Starcraft 2 is fundamentally the same game.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Alchenar posted:

ps. Yeah, Warcraft 1 and 2 do nothing exciting. They don't represent a lost magic of a past era of gaming because Starcraft 2 is fundamentally the same game.

That’s like saying that the Christopher Reeve Superman movies do nothing exciting because Marvel movies now are fundamentally the same.

They represent an earlier stage of evolution that newer games still are referencing and refining, which makes them important to have available.

There are a fuckton of people interested in WC2 for nostalgia reasons too.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

Alchenar posted:

Warcraft 2 is charming as hell and it does represent the lost magic of Blizzard which started around Diablo 2 / Warcraft 3.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If I had to bet I'd say it's because putting them on battle.net would risk hurting their brand by exposing newer players to games from a different age, while releasing them on GOG still gets most of the money while keeping the games contextualized with the other old games and without up-front blizzard branding.

I picked up GOG Diablo because I remembered it being awesome and it hasn't aged the best. SC on the other hand is as good as ever.

E:I'll bet cdpr did all the work to get them in a working wrapper too.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Mar 20, 2019

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

ItBreathes posted:

If I had to bet I'd say it's because putting them on battle.net would risk hurting their brand by exposing newer players to games from a different age, while releasing them on GOG still gets most of the money while keeping the games contextualized with the other old games and without up-front blizzard branding.

I thought this too but Blizzard's even older games, like Blackthorn and Lost Vikings, are on Battle.net.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I don't have enough experience (nor nostalgia) in regards to Warcraft 1 or 2 to say anything, but i'm going to tender the unpopular opinion that I don't really care that much for Warcraft 3. I've always struggled with RTSs, but there are quite a few that I think well of despite my lack of ability; WC3 isn't one of them. While the campaigns are good, I find that some of the mechanics, especially creeping and upkeep, are obnoxious and don't make much sense. This wouldn't normally bother me as I have no desire to play competitively or the like, but Blizzard has always been stuck up its own arse and doesn't allow options to disable things such as upkeep.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
YES NUCLEAR THRONE

e: lol wrong thread

Kikkoman fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 20, 2019

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Creeping was good because the game mechanics discouraged rushing so it was something for the players to do before the battle for map control started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

JustJeff88 posted:

I don't have enough experience (nor nostalgia) in regards to Warcraft 1 or 2 to say anything, but i'm going to tender the unpopular opinion that I don't really care that much for Warcraft 3. I've always struggled with RTSs, but there are quite a few that I think well of despite my lack of ability; WC3 isn't one of them. While the campaigns are good, I find that some of the mechanics, especially creeping and upkeep, are obnoxious and don't make much sense. This wouldn't normally bother me as I have no desire to play competitively or the like, but Blizzard has always been stuck up its own arse and doesn't allow options to disable things such as upkeep.

While WC3 is an oddball for RTS due to the upkeep system, that's not a thing that exists in WC1 or WC2. However WC1 suffers from being an early RTS so control groups are only 4 units, and buildings can only be built next to roads. Yes you have to build roads, but that's alright, it's early RTS.

I feel that WC2 is better because it shows the framework of Blizzard RTSs to come, but also has the naval concept that gets discarded later. Only annoyance I can think of for WC2 coming from later RTS entries is that control groups are only 9 units.