Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Just dropping back in to mention I named my dog "Ripley."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

FogHelmut posted:

Just dropping back in to mention I named my dog "Ripley."

Well it's settled. If I ever get a female dog her name will be Laika after the Soviet dog that went into space with no plan of return. If it's a male it'll be Hudson. That's a good doggy's boy name. Huddsie.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Julius CSAR posted:

Covenant sucks rear end. Like for real that movie is garbage.

It was still marginally better than the AvP films

fight me

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Linux Pirate posted:

fight me

And better than Prometheus, Resurrection, and Alien 3 I’d say. Yeah, everyone is a moron, but David is a quality antagonist.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Linux Pirate posted:

fight me
I'd argue the AvP films take considerably less of a poo poo on continuity.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Splicer posted:

I'd argue the AvP films take considerably less of a poo poo on continuity.

Yeah, fair enough. And that's saying something since the AvP films mess things up pretty bad.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

givepatajob posted:

There’s a film critic Scout Tafoya who makes a series of video essays “The Unloved”. The notion is that some critical and box office bombs may be better than originally thought. His first one is on Alien 3 and I’ve been following him ever since.

https://vimeo.com/76672771

cool. Yeah alien 3 has grown on me over the years. The biggest problem with this thing is stuff like the alien pepsi commercial. Like you know the thing is in bad hands when they let that happen. And the people who let that happen probably hacked up finchers original vision.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Julius CSAR posted:

Covenant sucks rear end. Like for real that movie is garbage.

it killed everything for me. horrible.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Jst0rm posted:

cool. Yeah alien 3 has grown on me over the years. The biggest problem with this thing is stuff like the alien pepsi commercial. Like you know the thing is in bad hands when they let that happen. And the people who let that happen probably hacked up finchers original vision.

I would like to see Fincher's original vision of the Pepsi commercial

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Julius CSAR posted:

Sorry dude, you replied to me about combat aircraft, you got into it.

Did you know we developed the M61 Vulcan starting in 1946 but it wasn't ready till like 1959-60 because it did things like break the ammo links causing a stovepipe jam that nearly brought down an F-104? The F-35 (whose gun for sure works now) has excellent high-AOA nose pointability, an extremely low RCS, and sensor fusion out the wazoo and yes, all of that works. Otherwise the aircraft would not have met Initial Operating Capability. High end aircraft development is lengthy, pricey, and very dangerous. Always has been, always will be. Many issues the F-35 experienced have been experienced before (or parallel other issues, like the gun thing) on basically every single aircraft program since WW2. There has been only one Airframe Loss Incident with the Lightning so far, and an engine fire, with the pilots OK. By this point in the F-16's career so many of them were crashing at Luke AFB that they were seriously nicknamed "Lawn Darts" by the pilots. Adjusted for inflation the F-14 is probably still the single most expensive fighter aircraft ever, and the program was only saved from extinction by Iran. All of this has happened before and will happen again with other jets because this is just how it works. The ONLY modern jet procurement program that came out on time and on budget (actually earlier and cheaper) was the F-15 and that's because the F-15 Special Projects Office utilized USAF politics to procure the aircraft like a "black" program such as the SR-71. Also, a lot of people don't realize that the 1.5 trillion earmarked for the F-35 is for the total life of the aircraft including RnD, procurement, upgrades, maintenance, and even projected fuel and ammo expenditures out to the year 2070 with costs adjusted for projected 2070 inflation "US$1.508 trillion (through 2070 in then-year dollars)". Like I'm sorry, but the jet is mad good. In the last few years many countries have dropped procurement contracts for Gripens, Typhoons, Rafales and other 4+/5 gen fighters for F-35s. People who think like this don't really know anything about what they're talking about. Tyler Rogaway at "The Drive" is garbage and so was "Foxtrot Alpha", "War Is Boring" is also quite usually full of poo poo.

If you want a good discussion on the F-35 (seriously here, I think you should read this) check out these threads on F-16.net where there are actual F-35 program guys, pilots, and maintainers who work with these jets EVERY SINGLE DAY and know much more about it than any rear end in a top hat on a blog.

Why is the F-35 Replacing the A-10?
and
The Trouble With Basement Dwellers

second thread has a dumb clickbaity title but is very good.

Sweet.

:350:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Linux Pirate posted:

Yeah, fair enough. And that's saying something since the AvP films mess things up pretty bad.
My big thing against AvP 1 was how scrub tier the predators were. Then I saw AvP 2 and it was obvious that they were literally scrub tier predators in AvP 1. Then I researched Predator 2 and realised they were 100% in line with Predator canon. Predator 2 predator worst predator.

The key to enjoying AvP 2 is realising that the humans are not the protagonists. If AvP 2 were a Kurt Russell film he'd be playing the predator.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Talking about Kurt Russell, it's time for a Soldier rewatch!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK9fG82E24o

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

This was a huge thing that bothered me with Prometheus and Covenant. Visually, it looks like they have more advanced technology that in all of the other movies. I mean, come on we're on a timeline here. It would have made it much more gritty and less clean if they used CRT and other older poo poo. Make the movie what it is. A prequel. Back in time. Before the other movies were made with their advanced technology. Ugh.

I think the CRT stuff in the original movies still works because of course that's what a space bulldozer would have

seriously, get in a bulldozer or big truck today and it's still all analog gauges and levers, so space CRT's make a certain kind of sense even if we have smart phones

it actually enhances the vibe because of the industrial look

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

drat I hadn't considered that, I like it!

The ship from Alien is so loving awesome, I love the weirdo grimy vibe.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
yeah it's one of those things, like maybe it's easier to make lcd's on Earth and it's expensive to get them to an orbital shipyard, so only smaller craft and high end stuff has them, meanwhile you can make vacuum tubes out of poo poo in the asteroid belt really cheap

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

LCDs would require constant climate control not to break in space.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
yeah I mean the Nostromo is literally a space tractor

like it gets said alot in regards to the roles the characters play but for real they are on a gigantic space tractor

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

I think the CRT stuff in the original movies still works because of course that's what a space bulldozer would have

seriously, get in a bulldozer or big truck today and it's still all analog gauges and levers, so space CRT's make a certain kind of sense even if we have smart phones

Agreed. This is what I always thought, WY is going to try to save money where it can, so the older cheap tech makes sense. If nothing else the lived in heavy industrial look is a lot more interesting than the touchscreens and sleek futuristic hologram consoles à la Prometheus/Covenant.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

And it just looks cool.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

ClothHat posted:

Look at that dirty rear end loader covered in grease stains and chipped paint. Every time I watch this I have to obsess over the prop design.
Caterpillar (their logo is visible briefly) apparently had companies calling them wanting to place orders for that cargo loader, that's how good the practical effects were.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Splicer posted:

My big thing against AvP 1 was how scrub tier the predators were. Then I saw AvP 2 and it was obvious that they were literally scrub tier predators in AvP 1. Then I researched Predator 2 and realised they were 100% in line with Predator canon. Predator 2 predator worst predator.

The key to enjoying AvP 2 is realising that the humans are not the protagonists. If AvP 2 were a Kurt Russell film he'd be playing the predator.

Predators are traditionally kinda poo poo at their job, honestly. At least at first - the whole point is to let the stupid ones get murdered, and if you make it back you get a prize.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

The big problem with Covenent is that the robot not the aliens were the villain and the source of tension.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

The big problem with Covenent is that the robot not the aliens were the villain and the source of tension.

My main problem with covenant was that it was a sequel to Prometheus for the first half of the movie, then it was an Alien movie for the second half, then at the very end it was a sequel to Prometheus again? And David like, engineered the xenomorph eggs? Wtf?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Julius CSAR posted:

My main problem with covenant was that it was a sequel to Prometheus for the first half of the movie, then it was an Alien movie for the second half, then at the very end it was a sequel to Prometheus again? And David like, engineered the xenomorph eggs? Wtf?
That is the biggest sin. The worst possible answer to "Where did the aliens come from".

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
The Robot Butler Did It

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

VikingSkull posted:

Also the sounds.
The clicky noise of the computers, from old dot matrix printers and such.
You just know the computers are slow as poo poo, but STURDY RELIABLE slow as poo poo.
Totally industrial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ywWFvjE-yU

Discount_Bees
Aug 1, 2007

How do I get out of this chickenshit outfit?
Just wanted to add the controversial statement that this movie owns. I wore a weyland yutani patch on my flightsuit when I used to fly in the marines shooting miniguns at things. They did a really good job of making the dialogue and constant complaining about everything realistic.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

VikingSkull posted:

yeah I mean the Nostromo is literally a space tractor

like it gets said alot in regards to the roles the characters play but for real they are on a gigantic space tractor

Alien- Space blue collar workers vs Alien
Alien- Space Marines vs Alien
Alien 3- Charles Dance vs Alien

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

They should make a spinoff with Space blue caller workers vs Space Marines

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I loving love the chunky computers that make computer noises.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
One of favorite things about Alien, even from when I was a little kid that didn't know much about the world, was that the crew on the ship were just average schlubbs. Basically truckers in outer space, and I could never shake the feeling of how loving screwed over by their company these dudes on the lowest rung of the totem pole get. Like, they don't know what's on the planet, they don't know that the ship's computer has been programmed to not give a poo poo about them. They don't know that their on board physician, the man they rely on for their very health and well being, is also a computer that does not give a gently caress about them, and actually quite the opposite really. As crazy as the chestburster scene is, Yaphet Kotto yelling "ASH IS A GODDAMNED ROBOT!" is almost more unnerving, espc considering it follows hotly on the footsteps of Ash shoving that magazine down Ripley's throat, which stuck with me for a very long time.

Probably also why I enjoy Ripley's line in Aliens to Burke "You don't see them loving each other over for a goddamn percentage" so much.

loving hell Ash creeps me out. Loved the guy in the office chair in isolation with the rolled up magazine in his throat you can randomly find, which confirmed for me beyond a doubt that the robots were for sure evil.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

One thing I like about Alien, The Shining, and The Thing is that all of the actors can pass as regular schmucks, everyone's kinda grimy or plain looking. I feel like modern flicks have to milk the big name stars as hard as possible to sell tickets so everyone looks like a model pretending to be a scientist.

Like compare Linda Hamilton as Sarah Connor to Khaleesi. You need people who are believably normal.

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 10, 2019

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Julius CSAR posted:

One of favorite things about Alien, even from when I was a little kid that didn't know much about the world, was that the crew on the ship were just average schlubbs. Basically truckers in outer space, and I could never shake the feeling of how loving screwed over by their company these dudes on the lowest rung of the totem pole get. Like, they don't know what's on the planet, they don't know that the ship's computer has been programmed to not give a poo poo about them. They don't know that their on board physician, the man they rely on for their very health and well being, is also a computer that does not give a gently caress about them, and actually quite the opposite really. As crazy as the chestburster scene is, Yaphet Kotto yelling "ASH IS A GODDAMNED ROBOT!" is almost more unnerving, espc considering it follows hotly on the footsteps of Ash shoving that magazine down Ripley's throat, which stuck with me for a very long time.

Probably also why I enjoy Ripley's line in Aliens to Burke "You don't see them loving each other over for a goddamn percentage" so much.

loving hell Ash creeps me out. Loved the guy in the office chair in isolation with the rolled up magazine in his throat you can randomly find, which confirmed for me beyond a doubt that the robots were for sure evil.

At the fundamental level Alien is actually about blue collar workers being hosed over by distant upper management.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Elderbean posted:

One thing I like about Alien, The Shining, and The Thing is that all of the actors can pass as regular schmucks, everyone's kinda grimy or plain looking. I feel like modern flicks have to milk the big name stars as hard as possible to sell tickets so everyone looks like a model pretending to be a scientist.

Like compare Linda Hamilton as Sarah Connor to Khaleesi. You need people who are believably normal.

Hell, Bruce Willis in Die Hard in an age when Auh-nold was the default look for an action hero.

I'm looking forward to the day when we have good Alien movies again. Even with only bad ones since the 90s I don't think people are truly tired of the Xenomorph as a movie monster. Just have to stop doing these high concept origin stories and disposable cross overs and get back to what really matters: Alien(s) murdering people in cramped, industrial settings.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I don’t even hate the idea of letting Ridley Scott do bizarre creation myth poo poo, but it made covenant feel like a totally separate movie with a bit of mediocre alien movie stitched on.

I always wondered if the series might benefit from a shift to a later timeline where everyone knows what the aliens are (or at least that they exist). A lot of what made the first two movies great is watching the characters realize how hosed everything is but I kinda feel like that has worn thin (they did it again in 3 and resurrection and nobody gave a poo poo). Having a set of green colonial marines who know and dread what they’re about to go up against might be an interesting new way to do it.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Or just a new set of weird-looking aliens with different rules

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Or just a new set of weird-looking aliens with different rules

That sounds like a terrible idea that they've already tried in a million terminator movies

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Yeah I mean that works too but I tend to dislike the “ooh it’s bigger and evolved-ier” thing. There’s a lot of awful to still be mined with the regular old alien I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I post this Everytime this movie comes up and I used to have a sick Hudson avatar
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/408816