Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Remember kids, pollution is a number that you make bigger. That big red cloud isn't angry it is your friend. You want your friends to grow big, strong, and healthy, right?

Pave everything. Plants make your big red friend sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Ratzap posted:

They don't need to be bigger at that stage either. Once I have beacons and blue belts there's more need for something wider. Mind you, this play through has been a lot smaller than usual with the pollution changes.

When you get to that point where you need something wider, you need to rebuild that whole area rather than leaving space where you can just fill it in later. It only costs a few dozen rail and maybe 100 extra belt to make that whole drop off area large enough to support rapid unload with higher belt capacities.

I'm one of those people that dislikes tearing things up to upgrade them.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

This was oddly satisfying to complete and get fully online.

I realize that the 5x4 balancer before the 7x4 balancer is not needed, but it was there first before I added the 3 lanes from another deposit and I didn't feel like tearing it out as I kept the copper flowing around the new balancer until I had it all finished so I didn't completely lose the output of the setup while I was building it, as I'm pretty slow when it comes to putting together the balancer thing (yes I cheat and look at pretty pictures online for balancers).

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Mr. Powers posted:

I scolded my friends in MP for making such claustrophobic stations. There's no need to make them so small.

And here I am blitzing blue belts for the sole purpose of being able to make compact unloading stations.

uPen fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 10, 2019

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

I'm brand new to the game, and I'm trying out the new tutorial in .17.x and it crashes every time I complete the basic burner coal mining section. Tried .17.9 and same thing. Any remedies? It feels improved over the previous tutorial even in the small bits I saw.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

parabolic posted:

I'm brand new to the game, and I'm trying out the new tutorial in .17.x and it crashes every time I complete the basic burner coal mining section. Tried .17.9 and same thing. Any remedies? It feels improved over the previous tutorial even in the small bits I saw.

This one? https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=226&t=67153

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Finally properly started playing a new 0.17.x game and I know it was all in the FFF block posts but oh gently caress the new train stuff is so delicious. Seeing the path on the tracks, super easy to understand and set schedules...the ability to just CTRL+Click on a spot to summon a train to you and use it as a personal tram.

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

I started playing this week. It seems Im still on .16 with the recipes I have. When .17 is officially released is it gonna totally gently caress up my factory in progress? Im very close to getting red circuits automated which is all I need for science pack 3

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Xinlum posted:

I started playing this week. It seems Im still on .16 with the recipes I have. When .17 is officially released is it gonna totally gently caress up my factory in progress? Im very close to getting red circuits automated which is all I need for science pack 3

Oh it's gonna hella screw up your production. To start with Level 2 assemblers require steel now...but there's no ingredient list limit on assembler size so the level upgrades really more of a speedupgrade.

Military science requires walls instead of turrets. Chemical (Blue) requires solid fuel instead of engine units. Production (Purple) requires rail track. Hi-Tech (Yellow) requires Low Density Structures.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Xinlum posted:

It won't break your save but changed recipes might mean having to re-do some production lines.
Science pack #1 and #2 are the same as ever but #3 and the ones beyond it will have new recipes, meaning you will probably have to re-do those parts of the factory.

If you like, you can upgrade to the experimental version of .17 now. That way you can get started building the "new" stuff from the get-go. There might be a few bugs but I haven't seen them outside of patchnotes. Overall the experimental version seems very stable.
If you're on Steam you right click on the game to get to properties, then go to the "betas" tab and select the new version.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

So I'm trying out that flare stack mod, and I seem to have come to a problem... I just installed it mid way through, but I'm not seeing the recipe for the electric incinerator. The other 2 are showing up, and I apparently have the tech unlocked for electric incinerators (I see electric incinerators in the tech tree, and it's definately unlocked). But it just isn't showing up in my crafting menu..

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Thanks!

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Ass_Burgerer posted:

So I'm trying out that flare stack mod, and I seem to have come to a problem... I just installed it mid way through, but I'm not seeing the recipe for the electric incinerator. The other 2 are showing up, and I apparently have the tech unlocked for electric incinerators (I see electric incinerators in the tech tree, and it's definately unlocked). But it just isn't showing up in my crafting menu..

Ah, poo poo. Forgot to add a check to the migration script to ensure it unlocks if the tech's already done.

Edit: should be fixed now

GotLag fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Mar 10, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Does anyone have any preferred layouts for a general purpose angelbobs ore processing setup?

I've built some decent setups previously but I never quite felt like I had the ideal handle on it.

Specifically, because all the machines output multiple things. I'm not sure what the most compact way to separate the different outputs is. And frankly I rely heavily on filter inserters to be able to even do it at all. The other option is using assemblers or other machines with specific inputs to filter them, but that just leaves you with weird interleaved setups where you now have two types of machine to handle the outputs of.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Well, I was going to share the map outline of my current spaghetti, but apparently the /screenshot command from the console ignores the map and just takes a picture of where you are standing on the ground. Will have to use windows functions to do it when the game is running tomorrow.

I've got my first rocket underway and now am looking at tackling the production lines needed to build a satellite. Man, everything you add just gives a ton more things to make and strains all the existing production every time you tweak something. I'm constantly adjusting my input lines and deleting old lines as needed, which is fun, but once in a while you miss something and then realize that an entire section is just broken because of something I did hours ago.

My science stuff is all just idle now because I've researched everything that doesn't need space tech, and I'm guessing that the rate of launch on rockets will mean that most of it remains idle for a long time if it works like everything else does and a single rocket launch with satellite gives me one space tech bottle for 1 lab to use.

I finally got powered armor, I'd just been ignoring it for a long time, and man.. the sweet sweet movement speed when you add the piece for the bonus... zoom zoom... I'll have to rush this in all future games.

I have yet to build a single robot or touch logistics, I think I'll save logistics for my next playthrough, and finish this one completely without it. Thinking I might skip nuclear power this run through as well, as I don't see that it's needed in any way, except for the wonder of massive power, but I just burn more coal. :v:

OwlFancier posted:

Does anyone have any preferred layouts for a general purpose angelbobs ore processing setup?

I've seen that word used before, but even in context I have no clue what "angelbobs" means. Enlighten me?

I posted a screenshot a few hours ago of my copper ore processing, but no clue if that's what you are after since I don't know what angelbob means!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Angel's refining and bob's ores. Essentially bob's ores adds like six different raw ore types which all produce different things, and angel's refining adds about five or six processing steps with different products for each ore type, and each with side paths which make use of the waste products of each step to get even more ore. But either way you have to deal with each refining step having multiple outputs per-building and you need to separate them out and store them if nothing else. There's also a bunch of recombination where you can cross-feed different ores together to boost say, iron production.

The simplest is you can smelt the raw purple ore out of a crusher into plates. Or you can sort the crushed ore to get iron and copper ores, or you can run it through another step to get three ores out of the purple ore, and so on up to about five or six different stages of that. But each stage produces byproducts, crushing produces crushed stone which you can use for about three different things, sorting produces slag which you can feed into a whole separate process to recrystallize it into more ores. The actual smelting part can be fed through multiple steps and you eventually get to combine things like chrome and nickel into the iron ore to boost the iron output, because you don't necessarily need very much chrome so you use the rest to boost your basic iron process.

It massively increases the complexity of the game to the point it's quite hard to keep track of but I enjoy puzzling it out, I'm just curious if there's some particular setup I've passed over so was wanting to see what other people use.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Mar 10, 2019

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

OwlFancier posted:

I've built some decent setups previously but I never quite felt like I had the ideal handle on it.

Specifically, because all the machines output multiple things. I'm not sure what the most compact way to separate the different outputs is. And frankly I rely heavily on filter inserters to be able to even do it at all. The other option is using assemblers or other machines with specific inputs to filter them, but that just leaves you with weird interleaved setups where you now have two types of machine to handle the outputs of.
The absolute best way to do it is to use ore-specific combination sorting. You never have to worry about a warehouse filling up with some random ore and shutting down your whole system, once you have it going it just works as long as you're pouring raw ore into it. It takes a lot of setup though and requires you to be pretty deep in the tech tree. Short of that you can use splitters to filter instead of inserters, which should let you be a bit more compact.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

misguided rage posted:

The absolute best way to do it is to use ore-specific combination sorting. You never have to worry about a warehouse filling up with some random ore and shutting down your whole system, once you have it going it just works as long as you're pouring raw ore into it. It takes a lot of setup though and requires you to be pretty deep in the tech tree. Short of that you can use splitters to filter instead of inserters, which should let you be a bit more compact.

So for splitter sorting would you just use warehouses to create large buffers in order to prevent them getting gummed up? Obviously all the "waste" products are useful later down the line so I don't mind storing them. The main thing that puts me off splitters is they jam the whole line when they can't output.

Also could you elaborate on what "ore specific combination sorting" is? Just keep them separated on the way into the factory?

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Yeah early on I had a warehouse for each ore type to act as a buffer. It takes forever to fill up and when it does you can either drop another warehouse or just blow it up and replace it. Slag and crushed rock still need a dedicated solution though, they build up so fast.

The combination sorting recipes are the ones that take two different types of raw ore and a catalyst to put out a single metal ore. The four basic metals take two different ore plus a catalyst, the next tier takes chunks, and the third tier takes crystals. You can set up a bus with just the four raw mine-able ores and split off the combinations you need for a particular metal ore.

Again it's more of a late game solution but after spending hours dealing with the seventeen thousand various byproducts its nice to have everything streamlined. And you never have to worry about your entire smelting chain breaking down because one product backed up.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think that's about what I ended up with last time, even plumbed in some logic to turn on/off processing based on how full my liquid metal tanks were.

Is there a preferred layout you use for dealing with the multiple outputs? Just shovel it all out of the building and then sort it with splitters? Or separate it right from the building with filter inserters?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
A lot of the angelbobs buildings are designed to take advantage of loaders having a natural filter. You can put three loaders on your sorters and have three fully compressed and filtered belts out of them. Then i'd have warehouses inventory levels feeding back into latching power switches to turn off processing areas depending on any given excessive surplus.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Is it possible to have a smelting factory using only coal? Burner inserters won't take coal out of the furnaces or from each other so I'm not sure how to extract the metal from the furnaces.

I could lay down 100 miles of power lines from my main base, but I just think it would be neat to have an all coal setup.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

M_Gargantua posted:

A lot of the angelbobs buildings are designed to take advantage of loaders having a natural filter. You can put three loaders on your sorters and have three fully compressed and filtered belts out of them. Then i'd have warehouses inventory levels feeding back into latching power switches to turn off processing areas depending on any given excessive surplus.

Loaders. I have never used loaders. Those are the modded things used for putting stuff in and out of trains yeah?

Dancer
May 23, 2011

bitterandtwisted posted:

Is it possible to have a smelting factory using only coal? Burner inserters won't take coal out of the furnaces or from each other so I'm not sure how to extract the metal from the furnaces.

I could lay down 100 miles of power lines from my main base, but I just think it would be neat to have an all coal setup.

On-site coal power is the "logical" solution. You can also make some spaghetti and use a burner inserter directed at your burner inserter to put coal inside it (I'm assuming that would work).

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Nailed it :lol:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

If you point the last tile of your coal & ore supply leaf belts at the inserters you can make the sink belt straight.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Cocoa Crispies posted:

If you point the last tile of your coal & ore supply leaf belts at the inserters you can make the sink belt straight.
ooh good catch.

Much less stupid looking, thanks :)

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

OwlFancier posted:

Loaders. I have never used loaders. Those are the modded things used for putting stuff in and out of trains yeah?

They're more for replacing inserters for dumping belts into and out of containers. They pump a full belt in or out of whatever they're hooked up too. I think they do work for trains too. Especially useful when combined with warehouses. When used to fill something they'll store anything on the belt as fast as possible, and when used to empty they can be set to act like a filter inserter. So one blue loader is equivalent to 4 fully upgraded stack inserters. You can use them to pump resources directly in and out of assemblers etc as well.

They've always been in the base game just unused. They're using them in the tutorial mission now, but still with their original dev sprite. The mod just unlocks them for the player and gives them proper graphics.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah I downloaded the mod and it's pretty cool, definitely makes sense with the kind of throughput volume angelbobs tends to use. I found myself not researching better machines because I didn't have the means to get stuff into or out of them fast enough.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

The Locator posted:

My science stuff is all just idle now because I've researched everything that doesn't need space tech, and I'm guessing that the rate of launch on rockets will mean that most of it remains idle for a long time if it works like everything else does and a single rocket launch with satellite gives me one space tech bottle for 1 lab to use.

I finally got powered armor, I'd just been ignoring it for a long time, and man.. the sweet sweet movement speed when you add the piece for the bonus... zoom zoom... I'll have to rush this in all future games.

Fortunately, rockets give way, way more than 1 science bottle per launch. That would be sheer absurd hell!

Also, you can add multiple copies of the same module to your power armor. Stacking 6 exoskeletons is hilarious, especially if you're on concrete.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I see someone asked about Angelbobs Ore setups and I'm pretty proud of mine so here it is
https://imgur.com/a/4bFCB5S

edit: I'm lazy as sin, so to deal with ore overloads:

Warehouses can hold 153k ore. A 20-pack of incinerators light up when there is more than 150k of a particular ore. If this STILL isn't enough, a speaker honks at me and I blow up that warehouse, the structure is instantly replaced, and life goes on. Obviously if the warehouse overflowed we're overproducing, thus this is always a safe option :eng101:

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 10, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Evilreaver posted:

I see someone asked about Angelbobs Ore setups and I'm pretty proud of mine so here it is
https://imgur.com/a/4bFCB5S

edit: I'm lazy as sin, so to deal with ore overloads:

Warehouses can hold 153k ore. A 20-pack of incinerators light up when there is more than 150k of a particular ore. If this STILL isn't enough, a speaker honks at me and I blow up that warehouse, the structure is instantly replaced, and life goes on. Obviously if the warehouse overflowed we're overproducing, thus this is always a safe option :eng101:

I'm definitely pinching that loader configuration as it cuts one out per crusher from the one I was using.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Solumin posted:

Fortunately, rockets give way, way more than 1 science bottle per launch. That would be sheer absurd hell!

Also, you can add multiple copies of the same module to your power armor. Stacking 6 exoskeletons is hilarious, especially if you're on concrete.

Mind blown.. a real reason to upgrade to power armor 2!

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Yeah, late game I'll have multiple power armors to switch out:

- tons of PDS, some shields and exos for base clearing. Exos aren't all that important as I usually stay in the tank, but useful if I pop out for a bit
- construction set with 3 fusions, at least 5 roboports and the rest exos
- a more generalized one with exos, night vision and now belt immunity. Only one or two roboports here

Much easier to swap out the whole suite than the individual items.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Loader Redux loaders do indeed work with wagons but the dev recommends against it for performance reasons. However, I'm lazy so I do it anyways and haven't noticed any slow downs with ~5 or so wagons using them simultaneously so I'm not sure just how many you'd need for it to be an issue. Probably only an issue for megabase setups.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Alkydere posted:

To start with Level 2 assemblers require steel now...but there's no ingredient list limit on assembler size so the level upgrades really more of a speedupgrade.

:stare::stare::stare:

That always bugged me so loving much given how often I started new games. Guess it's time to get me into 0.17 and see if I get significantly past blue science this time!

probably still turning biters off though. don't like the stress

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Alkydere posted:

Oh it's gonna hella screw up your production. To start with Level 2 assemblers require steel now...but there's no ingredient list limit on assembler size so the level upgrades really more of a speedupgrade.

Military science requires walls instead of turrets. Chemical (Blue) requires solid fuel instead of engine units. Production (Purple) requires rail track. Hi-Tech (Yellow) requires Low Density Structures.

This just made Lazy Bastard a fair bit easier.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Mr. Powers posted:

This just made Lazy Bastard a fair bit easier.

They actually acknowledged that in the FFF that announced the change.

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat
Me: I need to learn how to build a bit smaller scale in the early game so it doesn't take me 40 hours to get to nuclear power.

Also me:

Military science just coming online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

BrainMeats posted:

Me: I need to learn how to build a bit smaller scale in the early game so it doesn't take me 40 hours to get to nuclear power.

Also me:

Military science just coming online.

40 hours to nuclear power is pretty good by my standards, my current base was around 35-40 hours before i had my first blue science packs rolling. Granted I spent a non trivial portion of that time just paving over things, but I like to go big from the start too.