Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Edge & Christian posted:

All of the talk about Mister X (who I do not remember at all)

I mainly recall Tieri writing a Mr. X issue of Deadpool Team-Up. Like half of the series, it was an issue of a writer trying to get traction for their pet character by placing them next to Deadpool (the worst offender is the US-Ace issue). Even though putting the guy who can predict his enemy's movements vs. the guy who is unpredictable is a great dynamic (see also: Deadpool vs. Taskmaster, Midnighter vs. Joker), it was still a giant dud. Then I remember how Tieri was one of the all-time worst Deadpool writers and gave us the, "T-Ray is not the real Wade Wilson because............reasons," story.

Tieri also wrote all the endings for Marvel vs. Capcom 3. Ryu's ending has him meeting Iron Fist in a Madripoor fighting tournament. A sign in the background says that the next fight will be Ken Masters vs. Mr. X. Because of course it did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Starsnostars posted:

I liked the time in the Siege issues of Thunderbolts when Mr X gets absolutely taken apart by Quicksilver.

Yeah, the only exposure (X-posure?) I had to the character was in Thunderbolts and I pretty much despised him there, so having him get clowned by Quicksilver was fun.

Of course, I'm old enough that every time someone mentions "Mister X" I think of a bald architect in sunglasses...

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/sprattconnor/status/1104497450105143300?s=19

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/Nick_Hanover/status/1104471693949575168

When Larry's Comics is on your side, you know it's the wrong side.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Bummer to see donny cates in there i liked his work rip

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Aw. And Jamal Igle just had his own think where EVS tried to play Internet Tough Guy with him.

LOL at this sudden outpouring of Tieri as some creative genius, though.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Ethan Van Sciver before Captain Marvel:

"This frowning bitch is going to KILL MARVEL! Watch it bomb opening weekend! DEAD MARVEL!"

Ethan Van Sciver when Captain Marvel set to bring in $160 million opening weekend:

"This is why these SJWs take over big franchises, so they can make all the money and never fail!!"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1104566879866089472
This is loving hilarious

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Nick Fury washes dishes! This is an attack on men!

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

X-O posted:

They're threatening his life because they ship Eddie and the Symbiote (they call it SymBrock instead of, well you know Venom, because they're crazy) and the Symbiote was just revealed to be manipulating Eddie into staying with him by doing some really terrible stuff.

But that... that's the symbiote's whole thing, it's a horrible relationship made into a goop that can take over your body.

I know this is late, but it's not even recent, it's the very first thing he was other than "a suit". Spidey starts acting unlike himself, realizes it's his relationship with his new pants, gets out of it.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Ah yes, that's the site whose articles my phone LOVED recommending to me because of my interest in [any number of comic book topics]. I finally blocked it but the recommendations for "MARVEL IS DOOMED" articles just keep coming and I can only block specific websites, or block Marvel as a topic, but not chuds. Thanks Google!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Argue posted:

Ah yes, that's the site whose articles my phone LOVED recommending to me because of my interest in [any number of comic book topics]. I finally blocked it but the recommendations for "MARVEL IS DOOMED" articles just keep coming and I can only block specific websites, or block Marvel as a topic, but not chuds. Thanks Google!

Even for comic book news sites, Cosmic Book is really terrible. They've predicted Captain America will die just about every Marvel flick past, oh, Winter Soldier.

It's been entertaining to watch the chuds try to rationalize the Captain Marvel into a flop.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Nothing to do with anything really, i just came across this while reading the kree-skrull war arc just now and it reminded me of the comics used to be non political refrain and it made me chuckle

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

site posted:

Nothing to do with anything really, i just came across this while reading the kree-skrull war arc just now and it reminded me of the comics used to be non political refrain and it made me chuckle

The sad thing is that you could make a book out of all the explicitly political panels of old comics and make those guys read them and they still wouldn't change their mind because that would require them to admit that they're the ones screaming in rage at tiny black children going to school and not Patrick Henry saying "give me liberty or give me death!"

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Puppy Time posted:

The sad thing is that you could make a book out of all the explicitly political panels of old comics and make those guys read them and they still wouldn't change their mind because that would require them to admit that they're the ones screaming in rage at tiny black children going to school and not Patrick Henry saying "give me liberty or give me death!"

I usually just post the Captain America 1 cover when people complain about comics suddenly becoming political

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/jonrog1/status/1104411206285062144

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
that's a helluva sentence

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The narrative is quickly shifting to "there were never any anti Captain Marvel trolls, Disney and the SJWs made them up to artificially boost sales".

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

The narrative is quickly shifting to "there were never any anti Captain Marvel trolls, Disney and the SJWs made them up to artificially boost sales".

It was a False Flag you see.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

site posted:

that's a helluva sentence

It's pretty accurate for Warren Ellis though.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I wonder if anything other than (arguably, probably) Ghostbusters 2016 actually 'got woke, went broke.'

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

I wonder if anything other than (arguably, probably) Ghostbusters 2016 actually 'got woke, went broke.'

Ghostbusters made $100 million more than it's budget.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vince MechMahon posted:

Ghostbusters made $100 million more than it's budget.

Yeah, but it needed to make like 500 million to turn a profit and needed 300 million to just break even.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, but it needed to make like 500 million to turn a profit and needed 300 million to just break even.

That's only with bullshit Hollywood math where it counts all previous attempts to make a third Ghostbusters film in it.

Also the issue with it wasn't that it was "woke" anyway, it was that it was just a really middle of the road, nothing movie.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

gently caress Hollywood.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Vince MechMahon posted:

That's only with bullshit Hollywood math where it counts all previous attempts to make a third Ghostbusters film in it.

Also the issue with it wasn't that it was "woke" anyway, it was that it was just a really middle of the road, nothing movie.

The Hollywood Reporter article that claims that also has a Sony rep disagreeing with the numbers. Sooooo

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Amazing Spider-Man 2 made three quarters of a billion dollars and was considered enough of a failure Sony went running to Marvel Studios begging them to Robert Downey Junior in the next Spider-Man film.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Oh man, Frank Tieri, that takes me back. I remember when like the first thing he did when given Wolverine was kill off a bunch of old ancillary characters with his new OC. I thought the "twist" with his powers was actually somewhat clever, but not much more than that. Also I was an actual child when I read it, so.

I remember the five minutes or so Warren Ellis was on Facebook. He joined, I commented, some dude immediately saw from my profile pic that I was feeemale and tried to flirt with me, he told them off, then he was off Facebook the next day. Sorta surprised he manages to keep a Twitter going.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Based on an exhaustive (5 second) Google search, Ghostbusters 2016 had a budget of $144M, and made $229M at the box office. As I understand it, something like half of that box office actually goes directly back to theaters and distribution costs. So even a film that appears widely successful can still be considered a flop at the producer/studio level due to this split.

Basing a film’s success solely on revenue is just lovely consumer capitalist thought though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Marketing / PR is also typically not included in the production budget, and Ghostbusters was heavily marketed.

But it could have made a billion and it would still have been a bad film.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

Amazing Spider-Man 2 made three quarters of a billion dollars and was considered enough of a failure Sony went running to Marvel Studios begging them to Robert Downey Junior in the next Spider-Man film.

Yeah. And it was GB's director own saying they'd need to clear half a billion and Feig said that was conservative.

Speaking of movies that made money but not enough for a sequel (400+ million over 170 million which is still not a success because it's like Puppy Time said) , maybe trying to make Alita your champion would have worked better* if her movie didn't leave about 700 theaters to make room for Captain Marvel.

*Narrator's voice: It wouldn't have.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Midnight Voyager posted:

I remember the five minutes or so Warren Ellis was on Facebook. He joined, I commented, some dude immediately saw from my profile pic that I was feeemale and tried to flirt with me, he told them off, then he was off Facebook the next day. Sorta surprised he manages to keep a Twitter going.
Twitter is way less symmetric than FB. You can make a Twitter account, not follow anyone, and never look at mentions (and turn off notifications for them) and basically just yell into the void.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Ellis has a weekly newsletter than is actually really interesting, also he has a great irregular music podcast. https://spkmdl.libsyn.com/

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Skwirl posted:

It's pretty accurate for Warren Ellis though.

Not really, Ellis can I believe spell "antediluvian".

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Skwirl posted:

Ehhhh I don't think it was that cut and dry.

Sony seemed to be full steam ahead with their batshit ideas of making a Sinister Six movie and a "Spider-Man Vs Amazing Spider-Man" movie. I think it wasn't until the hack of their systems that they got an idea for how much people really wanted Spidey to be a part of the MCU.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
ASM2 failing comes down to opportunity costs and projections. It did worse than Spiderman 3 which made projections for the next film really bad. It was working with a more important license than Ghostbusters.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1105127578485092352

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Lol i had never actually seen what evs looks like but yeah that fits

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

site posted:

Lol i had never actually seen what evs looks like but yeah that fits

Yeah, he is stock pasty bearded white dude.

The wig is new. Very on fleek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Green Intern posted:

Based on an exhaustive (5 second) Google search, Ghostbusters 2016 had a budget of $144M, and made $229M at the box office. As I understand it, something like half of that box office actually goes directly back to theaters and distribution costs. So even a film that appears widely successful can still be considered a flop at the producer/studio level due to this split.

Basing a film’s success solely on revenue is just lovely consumer capitalist thought though.

TBF Ghostbusters's only option for success was financially, because it's just a tremendously mediocre movie.