Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Zaa Boogie posted:

You kinda need to be careful.

When you fully break a Death Scissor's weapon it will start pulling out another one and its mask goes all red while it's doing it. If you shoot 'em while it is they'll die in one hit.

Or just counter its swing to make it instantly weak and pop it once in the face to win :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I don't really understand the style rankings. I can chain together combos without missing a beat using every combo + gun + devil breaker and Nero still gets a S at most

I faceroll the nightmare button and it's nonstop SSS like Artelier said.
Also do the lyrics only kick in when you get to a S? It's hype when I flicker into it and they stick around but boy- for how hard it is to get into it the song without power vocals isn't doing much for me.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Brother Entropy posted:

effete goths are cool though

the other new character, nico, is also totally cool and is my current frontrunner for favourite character in the series

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think Nero needs the most active participation from the player to get to S and beyond. His kit is relatively limited so you have to REALLY rotate through his moves to get up there in style rank. Also taunt things a lot. I think the problem stems from the fact that a lot of his moves start off with variations of the same button combos, so for the first hit or two of each new combo the game's like "YAWN DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT oh you are doing something different nvm"

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
V is a gigantic pretentious dork, but that's justified later in the game.

because he's just Vergil, who's also a gigantic pretentious dork.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

There’s a reason why it might seem like Nero is really hard to get S ranks with compared to Dante or V
It’s because he doesn’t actually get access to his full kit until the very end of the game

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I really like Nico as a character. She knows her weirdo demon friends would feel bad if she dies and totally takes advantage of that knowledge to not give a single gently caress about her own safety.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Peewi posted:

Can anyone tell me how to do secret mission 9?
The one where you need to hit a Death Scissor's weak point. Any time I've done so has been by accident and I don't know how.

super easy. equip balrog and use kick mode. 4-6 strikes to break scissors once, 4-6 for other blade. wait until the mask glows red and shoot with e&i

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
This game is probably my favorite game ever? It's actually really hard to talk about it while there is pure hype running through my veins? DMC3 is one of my five favorite games of all time, and I think I might actually like 5 more? What the hell is happening. I tried to avoid the pre-release machinery as much as possible to prevent myself getting too worked up over this game but holy poo poo it is almost pure action bliss. I've been playing it so much it's interfered with my social life. I actually like Nero now?

I haven't read too much of the thread so I guess I'll spoiler tag this: Nero being the only character who doesn't have access to the Devil Trigger should tip you off as to why he has it "harder" to get SSS ranks in combat encounters. He's literally missing part of his toolset until you clear the game.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
I actually did better with Nero than the other characters during the main story because I got really good with max act charges during attacks when playing 4. Guess I’m the exception though

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Good Citizen posted:

I actually did better with Nero than the other characters during the main story because I got really good with max act charges during attacks when playing 4. Guess I’m the exception though

I've got a good handle on MAX-ACT just from playing other games with just-frame inputs, and it's probably still tighter with Nero if you're trying to consistently SSS every encounter without abusing the gently caress out of Punch Line. Until you beat the game anyway.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I got SSS ranks with Nero pretty consistently through use of db, break ages and arm destroying combined with exceed being mega easy to use. Punch Line and Gerbera air break age especially rack up points so I'm honestly surprised to see people saying they were having trouble with him when I had more trouble starting out with V and Dante I would lose rank a lot because of loving up my royalguard timing.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Captain Baal posted:

I got SSS ranks with Nero pretty consistently through use of db, break ages and arm destroying combined with exceed being mega easy to use. Punch Line and Gerbera air break age especially rack up points so I'm honestly surprised to see people saying they were having trouble with him when I had more trouble starting out with V and Dante I would lose rank a lot because of loving up my royalguard timing.

Aerial Gerbera Break Age owns in specific enclosed spaces, and I should point out that it isn't some impossible feat to get SSS consistently with Nero, but if you have any familiarity with DMC games, Dante's sheer variety of options provides a solid shortcut to maintaining an SSS - you just have to not get hit and use his kit. Nero requires EX-ACT or MAX-ACT usage to stay up there and for the layperson that's probably harder.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I honestly don't understand what you're saying. The way that reads to me is random people can't hit left trigger on incredibly forgiving timings, but they can explore dante's absurdly expansive list of techniques and styles against any given enemy and they'll skate by fine which seems like a bizarre statement to make. If that is the point you're making then fair enough, I guess.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Okay wait, I can see what you're saying now, my mistake. Didn't mean to come off as lovely, but I had to wrap my head around a mentality I really haven't interacted with since I played DMC3 in 2005.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Captain Baal posted:

I honestly don't understand what you're saying. The way that reads to me is random people can't hit left trigger on incredibly forgiving timings, but they can explore dante's absurdly expansive list of techniques and styles against any given enemy and they'll skate by fine which seems like a bizarre statement to make. If that is the point you're making then fair enough, I guess.

I think it's because my experience is colored by watching my siblings struggle with Nero while mostly annihilating things with Dante, and the stray comments I saw in my admittedly cursory view of the thread. MAX-ACT and EX-ACT have forgiving timings relative to what they used to be and aren't, like, impossible to do, but it's not as if it's a negligible barrier to entry. I think it's because the entire concept of a just-frame input can be a challenge to someone who has no experience with it. One of the easiest ways I was able to explain how the style system works was to compare it to something like Tony Hawk's Pro Skater. Nero is easier to pick up and play around with on a surface level, but by the time you have access to Dante, understanding that you swap between modes to keep up your variety just didn't seem to be a big hurdle to clear. My younger brother was reliably cruising to SSS encounter ratings on Devil Hunter difficulty as Dante while completely ignoring Royal Guard's existence, and has S ranks for missions played as V but basically Bs and As for missions played as Nero.

Also, when I say "struggling" I mean purely in regards to style. DMC5 feels like the easiest DMC by a fair margin so far, though I've only just mowed down SoS. Again anecdotally, I haven't seen or heard of many people struggling to actually beat the game on Devil Hunter at all, even series newbies, which - maybe I'm just being nostalgic or I've just improved at the genre, but that wasn't as much of a given when DMC3 released in particular. These games have a reputation for being punishingly difficult, and DMC5 doesn't seem to be that at all. To me, again. And also I don't think that's a bad thing.

e: Oh no dude I didn't think you were being lovely. No harm no foul.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't think Exceed is hard to use but I DO think it's uncomfortable especially with how packed Nero's controller already is. If Exceed was like "tap the attack button as you hit" instead of its own dedicated button it would be fine but I find it uncomfortable to hit it when I'm already holding Nero's gun button down 24/7 in addition to the other hands I need to hit.

I genuinely don't use it as much as I should just because I really really hate it having its own dedicated button because I've never found a comfortable way to use it. This is never a problem I've had with Dante and isn't a problem I have with V.

Edit: I'd also be fine with Exceed if Nero's gun auto-charged like Gunslinger Dante E&I, which honestly it should do because there's never any reason not to be charging it 24/7.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Mar 10, 2019

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Devil Hunter is baby difficulty.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

I don't think Exceed is hard to use but I DO think it's uncomfortable especially with how packed Nero's controller already is. If Exceed was like "tap the attack button as you hit" instead of its own dedicated button it would be fine but I find it uncomfortable to hit it when I'm already holding Nero's gun button down 24/7 in addition to the other hands I need to hit.

I genuinely don't use it as much as I should just because I really really hate it having its own dedicated button because I've never found a comfortable way to use it. This is never a problem I've had with Dante and isn't a problem I have with V.

This is... sort of what I mean? It's isn't the most natural input on a PS4 controller (we play on a Pro) if you're not already trained to think of it and use it, and even if you are the timing can be tricky to get used to if you don't have a background playing games wherein just-frame inputs exist.

RBX posted:

Devil Hunter is baby difficulty.

I know? That isn't my point. My point is that even on the "easier" difficulty settings, DMC3 felt much, much harder; I just smashed through SoS with similarly zero trouble so I guess we'll see if it's an old-school DMD experience coming up, I don't know. Maybe there's Devil Triggered enemies everywhere with super armor and junk and those eyeball guys shooting laser arrows at me like in DMC3. Just an observation.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My only complaint about Nero is that I really wish he had an air dash. He doesn't have any moves that give you i-frames in the air that I can tell, so using his launcher is super dangerous (I will appreciate being told I am wrong on this). If you have a Gerbera equipped you can physically air-burst out of the way but I find myself using the Break Away move to avoid damage in the air a LOT and it's a bummer.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

CJacobs posted:

My only complaint about Nero is that I really wish he had an air dash. He doesn't have any moves that give you i-frames in the air that I can tell, so using his launcher is super dangerous. If you have a Gerbera equipped you can physically air-burst out of the way but I find myself using the Break Away move to avoid damage in the air a LOT and it's a bummer.

you can use gerbera to not only air boost around but also pop enemies since it has a hit box and reposition them for combo extensions. gerberagp01 is even better for this

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Dante is really easy to do well with because you can switch between all his weapons and Royal Guard to keep combos going stylishly. With Nero you don't get that boost so have to have full mastery of his more limited toolset. Plus you have to fight your Gamer Instincts to use his robot arms effectively since if you pick one up that isn't ideal for that particular combat you have to waste a bunch to get one you want.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It would've been nice to have a button to cycle through arms in your magazine but I understand it would've been a real tight squeeze since basically every button on the controller is already pulling double-time.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CJacobs posted:

It would've been nice to have a button to cycle through arms in your magazine but I understand it would've been a real tight squeeze since basically every button on the controller is already pulling double-time.

it also forces you to make do with the arm you currently have equipped, which i sort of like better given how nearly all of them are useful in their own way

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
My main wall for using Nero is remembering the arm types because I never really use them for fear of wasting them. Then I suddenly dump 5 into a boss and collect my sad S rank win because I would shoot between this rad random arm things

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

The writing is so good - mission 18 spoilers: "My dumbass brother is back and I'm gonna rip him a new one."

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i’ve never been great with nero which largely boils down to “i think the red queen is a good weapon but not so good that i want it to be the only weapon i have”

being able to store charge shots is a very welcome change but exceed is still a bit too much of a pain for me to want to use it all the time. his new arms are all pretty fun to use though even if i do just kinda burn through them without giving them too much thought.

just reached the point where i can play as dante; really looking forward to seeing what weapons click with me this time around

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

CJacobs posted:

My only complaint about Nero is that I really wish he had an air dash. He doesn't have any moves that give you i-frames in the air that I can tell, so using his launcher is super dangerous (I will appreciate being told I am wrong on this). If you have a Gerbera equipped you can physically air-burst out of the way but I find myself using the Break Away move to avoid damage in the air a LOT and it's a bummer.

Gerbera (and GP01 by extension) is the tits, but generally speaking on DH or SoS launching with a charged High Roller should take you completely out of harm's way with Nero, especially paired with Roulette and your Color Up shots. If you have Gerbera/GP01 you have an air dash that does damage and knocks back/down. It's good.

Pwnstar posted:

Dante is really easy to do well with because you can switch between all his weapons and Royal Guard to keep combos going stylishly. With Nero you don't get that boost so have to have full mastery of his more limited toolset. Plus you have to fight your Gamer Instincts to use his robot arms effectively since if you pick one up that isn't ideal for that particular combat you have to waste a bunch to get one you want.

Right. On your first trip through the game, SSSing fights with Dante is about understanding how many moves he has and using them, and not getting kicked in the dick. SSSing fights with Nero requires you to actually get mechanically decent at Devil May Cry, which I think is a little harder for your average Joe.

w/r/t the Devil Breakers, if you're just trying to smash through the game on your first playthrough and get a good rank on a Nero mission, you can just deploy with a bunch of Punch Lines interspersed with Gerbera GP01 if you want, Tomboy maybe. The biggest mistake I saw my siblings making when using their robot arms was being too afraid to smash them mid-fight to get the Break Age, even though Break Ages usually own bones. If you take a considered loadout of Devil Breakers with you (or just stack Punch Lines lol), you can just avoid picking up any new ones if they bother you, use the Break Ages when it makes sense to do so and keep your style rank up, and then buy back afterward for a pittance.

Personally I think Nero is more fun if you just take whatever is lying around after you blow up the arms you brought with you. Buster Arm is kinda funny even if I never really deploy with it; Helter Skelter too, that kind of poo poo. I'm assuming Ragtime is much better than my current impression of it (which is bad), so experimenting with DBs is cool and good. I think DBs are less situational than many people assume. Basically all of them feel usable under most circumstances.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The pasta breaker is my favorite because it is pretty decent but looks silly as hell.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

ahahaha and i complained earlier that Nero doesn't get to use the Dpad at all...SURPRISE!

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

break your arms, jerks

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Love to break my own arms to spite my enemies

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

You will never get me to break an arm if I can't help it. Even if it's a stage boss.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Blessed game

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Enemies break all my arms before I get the chance.

Unrelated: I got torn apart by Cerberus so many times that the game crashed.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I love the gauntlet weapons in DMC3 and just being able to punch in general so I was really hoping Dante would get the chance in this. I howled when I started out and had the fist icon already waiting for me.

Dante is so drat good at making you feel unstoppable. Shame he jobs in a cutscene because lol Urizen is such a non threat for Trickster Dante just zoopin away from everything. I don't know how they could of handled it better for him when Pizza Uncle is capable of avoiding these slow moves with a blink in gameplay.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Having the guy use his slow mo orb things would have made the hits taken in cutscenes a bit more realistic I think.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I got to Dante and as someone who has never really played as him before I unno ummm holy poo poo.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

it also forces you to make do with the arm you currently have equipped, which i sort of like better given how nearly all of them are useful in their own way

True, though I do still wish there was an option to switch between arms with the d-pad. THE COMBO VIDEOS, MAN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

kater posted:

I got to Dante and as someone who has never really played as him before I unno ummm holy poo poo.

If you're not familiar with his moves focus on learning one weapon at a time. Practice Rebellion and its swordmaster moves, then figure out how the guns figure into it, try out trickster and royal guard, and only then move on to the next weapon. Don't try and figure it all out at once, you'll get lost.