Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
suikoden 5 suffers from Budget 3D Title Jank. everything feels just a little, hmm, undercooked.

if you want a real suikoden game, pick up 1 or 2. the second one being the gold standard, but 1 is okay in that "early ps1 rpg" kind of way, and they're both speedy and snappy in a way the later games were never able to do thanks to loading times etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

suikoden 5 suffers from Budget 3D Title Jank. everything feels just a little, hmm, undercooked.

if you want a real suikoden game, pick up 1 or 2. the second one being the gold standard, but 1 is okay in that "early ps1 rpg" kind of way, and they're both speedy and snappy in a way the later games were never able to do thanks to loading times etc.

I'll try two in that case. The VA in 5 is good so far,and the story seems okay,but it's just too rough

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I'll try two in that case. The VA in 5 is good so far,and the story seems okay,but it's just too rough

Suikoden 2 is considered a classic for a reason, you are making an excellent decision.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

oh yeah the second reason you might want to start with 1 is that there's data import. but if you don't care about that kind of thing 2 is completely standalone.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Evil Fluffy posted:

Unless you try to make Ramza just be a chemist or something lovely like an archer, he's always going to be good. If you're worried then just go squire->knight->monk and he'll be fine for most of the game. You don't need to grind early on unless you really feel the need to do so.

You say that now but I got destroyed at Dorter and I have no idea what I could have done to prevent it.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

Tidus is cool.

Tidus has always been cool.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

AweStriker posted:

You say that now but I got destroyed at Dorter and I have no idea what I could have done to prevent it.

Item on everyone, kill the archer on the high ground ASAP. The guests will probably try to go after him too, but absolutely do not count on them to get the job done. The other enemy units can be dangerous, but the longbow archer is the most dangerous thing on the field, aside from your AI allies.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I think you can outrange the archer if you stick your units on the far right side of the map. Let Delita and Argath deal with him. The mages a lot more dangerous, if any of them know thunder they can really gently caress you up (lightning gets a boost during thunderstorms).

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

GulagDolls posted:

tidus is a really a cool character. his va direction just kinda...sucks...~

Tidus rocks because he constantly calls bullshit when he sees it ~woke tidus~

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Tidus is dreamy~

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Mega64 posted:

Tidus is dreamy~

That one hurt me. A lot.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tidus is ok

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Is Suikoden 5 one of those games that you had to play when it came out?
Cause I'm not feeling it at all. Even for a mid 2000 JRPG it plays and feels really archaic. I never played any Suikoden, are they all like this or does it pick up later?

That one is a suuuper slow burn. Like Trails slow. It picks up once you get the fortress...20 hours in.

Start with suiko 1.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Tidus is wack because his name is canonically pronounced “tee-dus”

Also I’m grumpy because mechanically X is fun, but the art style is the worst and you only fight the same four pallet swapped enemies the entire game.

And Wakka has a wicker basket attached to his elbow. And you absolutely can’t swim while wearing hiking boots.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Just play Suikoden 2 it owns. and goons always have a weird obsession with making people play the worse games first that I don't understand

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tall Tale Teller posted:

Also I’m grumpy because mechanically X is fun, but the art style is the worst and you only fight the same four pallet swapped enemies the entire game.

And Wakka has a wicker basket attached to his elbow. And you absolutely can’t swim while wearing hiking boots.

I like the art style. It's different.

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011
Beat 12 on PS4 after 71 hours. Still got lots of hunts and side quests to do.

General thoughts are the actual gameplay and RPG mechanics and elements are fantastic. I like the job board, license points, gambits, the loot system, the items, the weapons, the dungeons and the whole progression. I like the world of Ivalice.

Negatives include the story and characters. Story is one big fetch quest with basically no villain, the main characters receive zero character development and the ending was about as lackluster as you can get. But of course it would be, because the story had nothing to it. Ho hum.

Anyway the gameplay will keep me going for the rest of the hunts. I'm well aware of the development history with 12, so the end product is not surprising.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

Just play Suikoden 2 it owns. and goons always have a weird obsession with making people play the worse games first that I don't understand

I started 2, I've got less and less time to play these days, mediocrity falls to the wayside.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Andrast posted:

I like the art style. It's different.

Spira is the most aesthetically pleasing FF world by a country mile and the music is great but the monster thing is really annoying, some of them individually look cool (I love the flans) but you see so many of them in so many colors that it's tiring by Mi'ihen.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Art Style is good, the enemy palette swapping decision is bad even if the art for the base enemies is good

What Im saying is an FFX remake should add cutscene skip, redub all of Yunas lines, and make the pallete swap enemies more engaging.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Twat McTwatterson posted:

Beat 12 on PS4 after 71 hours. Still got lots of hunts and side quests to do.

General thoughts are the actual gameplay and RPG mechanics and elements are fantastic. I like the job board, license points, gambits, the loot system, the items, the weapons, the dungeons and the whole progression. I like the world of Ivalice.

Negatives include the story and characters. Story is one big fetch quest with basically no villain, the main characters receive zero character development and the ending was about as lackluster as you can get. But of course it would be, because the story had nothing to it. Ho hum.

Anyway the gameplay will keep me going for the rest of the hunts. I'm well aware of the development history with 12, so the end product is not surprising.

12 has very fleshed out world with lots of places to go and see.

Yeah the story sucks but exploring
is great imo.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

I’m an Amano guy. Give me wispy watercolors over belts and zippers pleaaaaaase.

X is really fun to play though, I like the sphere grid and battle mechanics, I like the setting and the vibrant colors and I even like the story! It’s just Nomura’s style and the enemies that kill it for me.

I’ll deffo buy it again in the ol’ Switcheroo when it hits

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I just want xp to be normalized across the party.

And also having to do 7 sphere grids is terrible.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

In practice you don't really have to level that many because nobody cares about Kimahri and lategame Yuna overpowers all the other magic users.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

exquisite tea posted:

In practice you don't really have to level that many because nobody cares about Kimahri and lategame Yuna overpowers all the other magic users.

Until you get to the ill conceived one on two duel battle that fine it scales to your level but Kimahri still depends on whatever bonuses and skills you give him from the thing

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
plus everyone literally just has to take one action to get the SP so if you really want you can just have Kimahri steal once per battle and you'll occasionally get some useful things

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Calaveron posted:

Until you get to the ill conceived one on two duel battle that fine it scales to your level but Kimahri still depends on whatever bonuses and skills you give him from the thing

I kept kimahri in my party the entire game just to piss off my wife and wreck those two jokers and it turned out to scale :(

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I'm playing FF9 on the Switch and I turned on the instantly learn skills cheat. I had no idea it would make Quina learn all of her Blue Magic. I might actually try and use her a bit this time.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Tall Tale Teller posted:

The Artstyle is psychedelic freakout meets SEA islands aesthetic dipped in catholic guilt. It owns, sorry. There's more thought and effort put into X's artsyle than like every pre-FF6 game put together.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Ethiser posted:

I'm playing FF9 on the Switch and I turned on the instantly learn skills cheat. I had no idea it would make Quina learn all of her Blue Magic. I might actually try and use her a bit this time.

the one thing that could be changed about IX is that they could have just used "they/their" instead of the weird "s/he" thing they went for

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

morallyobjected posted:

the one thing that could be changed about IX is that they could have just used "they/their" instead of the weird "s/he" thing they went for

They/them as a singular gender neutral pronoun has been around forever but it's only recently caught on.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
S/he was really popular when i was in college 15 years ago. As was Latin@

Our concept of gender and identity is broader now so they/their is more inclusive, too

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I started 2, I've got less and less time to play these days, mediocrity falls to the wayside.

Too bad, Suikoden I actually owns.

It's also like five-ten hours so it's not actually that much of a commitment. It's an actually efficient JRPG on the PSX.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Sphere grid is dope. Especially the expert grid in the HD version which is way more open ended and lets you develop characters in weird ways. Last time i played i tried making Rikku a speedy mage and Tidus a super speedy attacker. Neither worked very well but it was still fun to make unconventional setups.

I can imagine taking Auron down Tidus' section to shore up his speed or Wakka's section for accuracy and statuses to use alongside his debuffs for instance.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

So im playing FF9 on Switch and everything is cool, except now it crashes at the scene immediately after beating Meltigemini every. Single. Time.

I reloaded to repeat the fight and it still does it. It literally crashes as soon as Dagger's speech bubble appears. I restarted my Switch and the same thing happens.

Great.

Lucky Cat
May 1, 2009

Anyone playing IX on the XBone? How can you let Vivi win the hunt? I just want the achievement. Then, let Freya win for the ring.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

TheHoosier posted:

So im playing FF9 on Switch and everything is cool, except now it crashes at the scene immediately after beating Meltigemini every. Single. Time.

I reloaded to repeat the fight and it still does it. It literally crashes as soon as Dagger's speech bubble appears. I restarted my Switch and the same thing happens.

Great.

That didn’t happen to me on the Switch. Dunno what wrong.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Rirse posted:

That didn’t happen to me on the Switch. Dunno what wrong.

Yeah I'm stuck. Bums me out... I guess I could try reloading an even earlier save.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Lucky Cat posted:

Anyone playing IX on the XBone? How can you let Vivi win the hunt? I just want the achievement. Then, let Freya win for the ring.

Get into the fight with the giant boar where Freya joins you and let Zidane and Freya both get killed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucky Cat
May 1, 2009

Merilan posted:

Get into the fight with the giant boar where Freya joins you and let Zidane and Freya both get killed

Thanks! Now, I need to figure out the card achievements since I am pretty terrible/just don't care about the card games.