Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Professor Funk posted:

The Raiders have three 1st round picks and just obtained one of the 3 or 4 best receivers in football for almost nothing. They’re in a pretty decent spot, despite the hate that Gruden gets (rightfully most of the time).
They are, but they've also have got to get those picks right. Brown is a good grab for them if they can keep him happy and get a QB that can take advantage of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

LiquidFriend posted:

They are, but they've also have got to get those picks right. Brown is a good grab for them if they can keep him happy and get a QB that can take advantage of him.

They have to hit on those picks anyway. That’s the point of having the picks. “You should draft good players in the first round” shouldn’t dissuade you from getting a player like Antonio Brown for (again) nothing.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Professor Funk posted:

They have to hit on those picks anyway. That’s the point of having the picks. “You should draft good players in the first round” shouldn’t dissuade you from getting a player like Antonio Brown for (again) nothing.
Thank you for pointing out how the draft works out. Did not know that till today.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

I think people are maybe overrating Brown's conflict factor here. Is Derek Carr comparable on the "entitled rapist rear end in a top hat" level as Roethlisberger is?

no one is on the rear end in a top hat level of Ben

Carr is more of your garden variety chud athlete level of rear end in a top hat

Maybe Brown gets mad at him for being kinda bad at QB during the season though

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Apparently the price difference to the Steelers between an almost out of the league Martavis Bryant and the best WR of the last half-decade is a fifth-round pick.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

SKULL.GIF posted:

I think people are maybe overrating Brown's conflict factor here. Is Derek Carr comparable on the "entitled rapist rear end in a top hat" level as Roethlisberger is?

Carr is a replacement level bible-thumping meathead.

Roethlisberger a first-ballot Hall of Fame lovely Person.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
"they've got to hit on those picks" ya that's why they grabbed a guy who does nothing but draft grading for a GM and kicked Reggie to the curb

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

LiquidFriend posted:

Thank you for pointing out how the draft works out. Did not know that till today.

You are welcome. Your point about the draft was very bad and very dumb

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Spoeank posted:

Apparently the price difference to the Steelers between an almost out of the league Martavis Bryant and the best WR of the last half-decade is a fifth-round pick.

Same team that said goodbye to Wallace when he was a superstar and...were proven pretty much right to let him go?

I'm going to be super pissed if that happens again. That would mean Ben is actually good. That's bullshit.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Professor Funk posted:

You are welcome. Your point about the draft was very bad and very dumb
:shobon: You got me really good I guess

I mean really, I don't even know where you got the basis for your original post over it because I don't think anyone is hating for the trade compensation but whatever.

LiquidFriend fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Mar 10, 2019

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
And Steelers are still eating $20ish million? With the $50ish million for three year figure being reported, is that including $20 million Steelers are paying, or what? If Raiders are paying $12 million per year for three years, and the rest is Steelers, that's even more lol

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

sourdough posted:

And Steelers are still eating $20ish million? With the $50ish million for three year figure being reported, is that including $20 million Steelers are paying, or what? If Raiders are paying $12 million per year for three years, and the rest is Steelers, that's even more lol

I think they're just eating the cap hit, at least that's the way it usually works.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

sourdough posted:

the dead cap is the prorated signing bonus for the remaining years accelerating into this year

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Ah I see, so it's already been paid. Makes sense.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Iodised QQ posted:

no one is on the rear end in a top hat level of Ben

Carr is more of your garden variety chud athlete level of rear end in a top hat

Maybe Brown gets mad at him for being kinda bad at QB during the season though

He'll be openly chewing Carr out by week 9

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

oakland is "going dumb" trading for "mr big mess"

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

a neat cape posted:

Only getting a 3rd and 5th for Brown is insane, what the gently caress Steelers

I doubt they were really getting many offers, and Brown was being a shithead about it. This was probably one of the best offers they got.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
bwahahaha I hope now that he's gone AB really unloads on Ben. He can't be the only guy in that locker room that thinks he's a piece of poo poo

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
AB is going to lariat Ben Roethlisberger so hard he’ll spin in a circle.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Was the Hard Knocks team announced yet? Gotta be Oakland at this point.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Essentially trading Amari Cooper a third and a fifth for Antonio Brown and a first round pick

Raiders good??!!!??

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
People are saying it’s a good trade and in a vacuum sure but aren’t the Raiders supposed to be rebuilding? Trading for an aging receiver undercuts that a bit

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

CharlestheHammer posted:

People are saying it’s a good trade and in a vacuum sure but aren’t the Raiders supposed to be rebuilding? Trading for an aging receiver undercuts that a bit

Getting one of the best receivers in NFL history for peanuts (and not having to add years to his contract) before you’re about to move to a new city is a great move no matter what.

AB’s gonna be a model citizen for at least a season. He’s got a huge chip on his shoulder to prove the Steelers wrong.

Adun fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Mar 10, 2019

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Bigass Moth posted:

He was extremely good that year but it was a joke vote.

I don't think he was even that good, he had the 11th most yards and 14th (15th if you include :vick:) best ypa

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I’m not surprised at the compensation the Steelers got for AB.

He’s like the worst teammate in the NFL lol

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Eifert Posting posted:

People who actually watched Browns games realized Hillis was good only because Vickers was having the most dominant season any fullback has had in the post-expansion NFL.

No one watches Browns games though. When they lost Vickers Hillis was basically TRich.

Lawrence Vickers was on another planet. He was so freakishly good.

Horse Inspector
Aug 11, 2005
privacy publicly displayed

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think Gruden sucks as much as the next guy but if I may play devils advocate a bit...

You could say that this is a good part of the rebuild. They may well have spent a 1st or 2nd on a potential number 1 wr, which may have been a bust. Now though they have a #1 WR who is definitely (okay he carries the risk of melting down) very good, for a 3rd.

Now those higher picks can go on addressing other areas of need.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Now the Raiders can use their firsts to draft three punters and have a punting competition for the ages.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The Steelers carry over Bell’s hold from last year so it’s really only like $6 mil against the league cap, all things considered

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

As much as I poo poo on Gruden, older WR have always loved him. Well, besides Keyshawn of course.

Like loving Joey Galloway turned into an all pro in Tampa.

A dog and his man
Jan 24, 2019

by R. Guyovich
This loving owns. Go AB.

(This will probably end badly)

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ahahahaha christ the steelers have to eat a $20m cap hit while trading brown for peanuts, glorious

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
AB I know it didn't look like Cohen was having fun, but I have it on authority that he was.

Give us the dirt.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

The only thing left for Brown to do is fail to report to Steelers OTAs when the time comes, at which time they will start finding him into oblivion and start the suspension escalator until he either complies or retires.

Attempting to trade him to the Bill's shows they plan to make this as miserable as possible for him. Remember, Bell would have reported week 11 if the Steelers agreed to pay him the full value of the tag, and they told him to get bent.

There's no scenario where this ends with Brown cut or traded for peanuts

lol

A dog and his man
Jan 24, 2019

by R. Guyovich
Honestly surprised the Steelers didn’t get one of the Raiders 1st RD picks for him.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Hey now, there are a lot of good Fifth rounders out there. George Iloka. Marvin Jones I think.

That kicker the Bengals cut was a fifth I think?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I'm very happy for Antonio

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Patiently waiting for the triumphant return of Warcrimes.

Ehud posted:

I’m not surprised at the compensation the Steelers got for AB.

He’s like the worst teammate in the NFL lol

That would actually be his former QB.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Eifert Posting posted:

Hey now, there are a lot of good Fifth rounders out there. George Iloka. Marvin Jones I think.

That kicker the Bengals cut was a fifth I think?

Why are we pretending they didn’t get a 3rd as well?
Edit lol whoops didn’t even notice. Pretending kinda the expectation at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

A dog and his man posted:

Honestly surprised the Steelers didn’t get one of the Raiders 1st RD picks for him.

It's hilarious how much AB hosed the Steelers (while also helping out whatever team he was actually gonna get traded to). Good for him I wouldn't want to work with Roethlisberger either