Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Goes for his gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

It's his flashlight. It's hard to run with a big flashlight dangling from your hip so he pulls it out of the little ring.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
yeah this has been done to death he's not reaching for his gun

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Are you sure? It looks like he might be.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

He let's go of the flashlight when he does run. He reaches down when he squats and braces before he runs.

Edit: your right. It's pointless.

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010
"Yeah, I know this wasn't safe to do this but I did it anyway." Video of a guy attempting to make transparent wood:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1H-323d838&t=94s

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I just watched his video where he tried to extract bismuth from Pepto Bismol. He used every worst practice he could and got worse results than I could have done in my community college chemistry class. At least on Cody's Lab, he at least acknowledges that he's doing things really stupidly.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

You want decent chemistry, watch NurdRage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsNoiFj3wlw

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
does anybody know what I'm talking/have the story about some Russians, Soviet-era I believe, who had to do maintenance on a microwave radio or something before it let out another pulse and fried their organs? something in an X-files episode just made me think about that

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

Propitious Jerk posted:

"Yeah, I know this wasn't safe to do this but I did it anyway." Video of a guy attempting to make transparent wood:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1H-323d838&t=94s

I liked that

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Autistic Edgy Guy posted:

does anybody know what I'm talking/have the story about some Russians, Soviet-era I believe, who had to do maintenance on a microwave radio or something before it let out another pulse and fried their organs? something in an X-files episode just made me think about that

I know the one. Let me see if I can find it.

E:

quora post posted:

Would anything happen if you stand in front of a powerful military radar at the point when its strength is the greatest?

Ad by Truthfinder

Have you ever googled yourself? Do a "deep search" instead.

This new search engine reveals records of millions of Americans. Enter a name and state to begin.

Learn More

17 ANSWERS

Suttichart Denpreuktham, Writer at Defense Politic Asia

Updated Jul 16, 2017 · Upvoted by Vadim Mikhnevych, Former Driver-Electrician in the Air Forces · Author has 2.5k answers and 5.1m answer views

A2A

Ohh, you’ve come to the right person. I just covered this in one of the articles I published. Long story short:

Very bad idea

Radar is, essentially, an extreamly powerful emitter of radiation (no, not nuclear radiation; ) working unprotected in front of the beam would be like standing in front of the microwave oven (after you modified it to run with the door open.) You will suffer severe burns, especially where there is relatively little blood flow such as your eyes and tongue.

This is how you should dress when working with high power radio antenna (radar is form of phase-array antenna)

Notice how the protective gear looks fairly similar to the gear worn by those who work in radiological (radioactive) environments? The antenna emits a different type of radiation: electromagnetic radiation (commonly refereed to as radio frequency, or RF.) While its long term effects, such as mutagenesis (the damaging of DNA that leads to cancer) or reproductive harm have yet to be fully studied, its ability to cause burns is well documented. The standard procedure when on working with a high power RF system is to limit exposure to electromagnetic radiation.

Working on modern military radars is generally less dangerous than working with, say, a powerful nation-wide TV antenna, however. This is due to the fact that military radars emit electromagnetic radiation in pulses, whereas TV antennas do so continuously. As a result, your overall exposure to electromagnetic radiation will be less when working on a military radar.

The hazard posed by radar is reduced farther given the highly directional nature of radar emitters (a radar “beam” is highly “focused;” meaning electromagnetic radiation will only be emitted over a very narrow arc.) So, unless you intentionally move into the beam, your exposure will be limited.

But if you did, you’re toast - literally and figuratively.

4.6k Views · View 113 Upvoters · View Sharers · Answer requested by Sadaf Dawar

Promoted by DuckDuckGo

What does Google know about me?

Gabriel Weinberg, I run a search engine (Duck Duck Go).

Updated Sep 12, 2018

Did you know that unlike searching on DuckDuckGo, when you search on Google, they keep your search history forever? That means they know every search you’ve ever done on Google. That alone is prett...

Continue Reading

RELATED QUESTIONS (MORE ANSWERS BELOW)

What are the French military's greatest strengths?

How would it feel like if I stand in front of a long range radar antenna?

What would you say is the greatest strength that the United States Military possesses?

How powerful is the military of Japan?

What is the point of Military time? Why not just use regular time in the military?

OTHER ANSWERS

Vadim Mikhnevych, Former Driver-Electrician in the Air Forces

Updated Jul 19, 2017

I’ve read a story once, about a case in USSR army, at the times of Cold War.
There were multiple air defense radar stations, connected into a kind of network. So that upon intruder alert, all were activated. In case there was no alert, some radars could be deactivated, eg for maintenance.

A tech team went to service a deactivated radar - a captain, a praporshchik (a title in USSR army, between sergeant and lieutenant) and three soldiers. They went in a metal-covered truck, designed to protect the crew from EM-waves. One of soldiers (the driver) had to wait in the truck, and in case of alert he had to pick all the others quickly, before the radar was switched on.

Unfortunately, something went wrong - some general decided to make a surprise alert, and service team didn’t receive the warning.

The captain, who was checking some electronic part of the radar, was burned to ashes by high voltage current. The praporshchik was supervising two other soldiers, who were cleaning something around. He felt a terrible pain in his eyes, and was blinded in a few seconds. Fortunately, he understood what was going on, and ordered the soldiers to run to the truck - and followed himself.

The driver meantime jumped into the truck and drove it to pick the comrades. As he got closer and went out to help them get in, he also felt eye pain, and something like “urine boiling in his bladder”. He received much less EM-waves dose, so was able to pull the others into the truck and drive away.

The other two soldiers were blinded like the praporshchik, and also had terrible internal pains. After getting into the hospital, they were treated like after receiving a large dose of radiation, but that helped only a little. Soon the praporshchik died, and this actually helped the soldiers to survive - after autopsy the medics saw that his internal organs were severely burned, and started anti-burn treatment of the soldiers. They stayed alive, though blind - except the driver who was a little more lucky.
This isn't the article I read before but it has broad strokes.

Nth Doctor fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Mar 10, 2019

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I posted it in the first couple pages of the gbs nuclear thread

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

Goes for his gun.

I like how the driver is obviously still pressing the gas

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Imagined posted:

I like how the driver is obviously still pressing the gas

serious post: sometimes more throttle is the correct response to help regain control, often the case with front/all wheel drive vehicles.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Never Lift

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

dee eight posted:

serious post: sometimes more throttle is the correct response to help regain control, often the case with front/all wheel drive vehicles.

What are the odds this driver knows that and is doing it on purpose versus they're an idiot panicking, mashing whatever pedal they're on and flailing randomly at the wheel?

They're not turning into the skid, for example.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Imagined posted:

What are the odds this driver knows that and is doing it on purpose versus they're an idiot panicking, mashing whatever pedal they're on and flailing randomly at the wheel?

except they did? Unless you wanted them to drive into the cop car after they kept it out of the ditch or something

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

quote:

Notice how the protective gear looks fairly similar to the gear worn by those who work in radiological (radioactive) environments? The antenna emits a different type of radiation: electromagnetic radiation (commonly refereed to as radio frequency, or RF.)

:chloe:

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Imagined posted:

it looks like they held it together as best they could

no harm no foul

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Google South Korean elevator trucks.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Google South Korean elevator trucks.

What's South Korean about these things? I've seen them used in Europe a lot, once you live I an appartement complex you don't really have much other options to get big furniture in/out.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Nth Doctor posted:

I know the one. Let me see if I can find it.

E:

This isn't the article I read before but it has broad strokes.

:tipshat:

ah so somebody was "burnt to ashes"

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Important road safety announcement:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

for when you have no

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

Wall Balls posted:

for when you have no

We don't need no...education...

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Imagined posted:

The track was wet.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Looks like the person steers into the first skid, realizes they will hit the cop car, so they keep steering the other way and mash the gas to try to move the car forward and not hit the other car.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Cojawfee posted:

Looks like the person steers into the first skid, realizes they will hit the cop car, so they keep steering the other way and mash the gas to try to move the car forward and not hit the other car.

They saw him reaching for his gun and decided to get the heck out of there, smart

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KndmtryfiTk

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah that's pretty stupid. It would act like a ratchet. The wheels engage while going forward, but just slip when using the brakes.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
I'm not sure at what point someone goes "Hmmm, yeah I'll ride a e-scooter down Mopac" during rush hour but it is SXSW here now

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/man-seen-riding-e-scooter-down-mopac-expressway-during-rush-hour/1836545849

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Pro tip: Don't drive a CNG/biogas bus through a tunnel that's too small for the roof-mounted gas tanks.

https://www.expressen.se/tv/nyheter/dramatiska-filmen-har-exploderar-bussen/

The bus wasn't in service, so there were no passengers on board. The driver was badly burnt, but survived.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Reign Of Pain posted:

I'm not sure at what point someone goes "Hmmm, yeah I'll ride a e-scooter down Mopac" during rush hour but it is SXSW here now

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/man-seen-riding-e-scooter-down-mopac-expressway-during-rush-hour/1836545849

That is pretty SXSW right there. It isn't too terrible in that video, but there definitely isn't a safe exit anywhere around where he is.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

LanceHunter posted:

That is pretty SXSW right there. It isn't too terrible in that video, but there definitely isn't a safe exit anywhere around where he is.

SXSW is my favorite time of year to completely avoid downtown.

This is also going to be the first one since e-scooters have infested Austin so just waiting for the first fatality. SXSW was nuts already without them.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

Ixian posted:

SXSW is my favorite time of year to completely avoid downtown.

This is also going to be the first one since e-scooters have infested Austin so just waiting for the first fatality. SXSW was nuts already without them.

I thought they were around last year too....probably just feels like they've been around forever

Also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvwzELnC-54

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Reign Of Pain posted:

I thought they were around last year too....probably just feels like they've been around forever

Also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvwzELnC-54

I guess that character in Prometheus isn't uniquely stupid after all.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
I've seen that behaviour in other videos where a tall crane collapsed or similar. It seems dumb from an overhead viewpoint, where we can clearly see where the falling thing is going to land, but if you're at ground level, and you took off the second you saw it start to fall, you don't have that information. And turning to look slows you down, you risk tripping... If that guy had turned and looked, he'd have been killed.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Doom Mathematic posted:

I've seen that behaviour in other videos where a tall crane collapsed or similar. It seems dumb from an overhead viewpoint, where we can clearly see where the falling thing is going to land, but if you're at ground level, and you took off the second you saw it start to fall, you don't have that information. And turning to look slows you down, you risk tripping... If that guy had turned and looked, he'd have been killed.

Also, he was right next to that waterway so first instincts might have been overwhelmed by the limited options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
Working on a 737 MAX8 must be pretty bad OSHA compliance I guess?