Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Mambo No. 5 posted:

I know this is from a very long time ago, but did anyone ever write up/expand on the "More Guys" fighter? I like that idea and would like to read more about it.

I've playtested this a couple times and it works ok but I'm sure it'll all fall to pieces if you put it up against people who are optimising official classes. I've got it done up as a pdf (and goddamn I'm bad at making stuff look pretty) but I dunno how/where to host that.

quote:

Fighter Archetype: COMMANDER

The archetypal Commander is the fearless leader of a small team of expert soldiers. Those who follow this path are excellent warriors in personal combat, but their real strength lies in using superior tactics to control the ebb and flow of battle.

A GREAT LEADER
When you choose this archetype at level 3, you gain SOLDIERS as your personal troops, who you can command using special dice called COMMAND DICE.

SOLDIERS
You gain the loyalty of two Soldiers. They wear suitable armor, carry a variety of weapons, are completely loyal to you, and do not need to be paid. You attract an extra soldier at level 7, 10, and 18. Each soldier loyal to you has an artisan's tool skill of your choice, which you may use as if you knew the skill.

FORMATIONS
Your soldiers fight in Formations. You may change the Formation without using an action once on your turn, unless an order you issue on the same turn would change the formation.

ORDERS
You may issue orders to your Soldiers. The available Orders depend on which Formation they are in. Orders expend Command Dice.

COMMAND DICE
You start with 4 Command Dice, which are d8s. Gain an extra Command Die when you gain an extra soldier (you will have 5 Command Dice at level 7, 6 at level 10, and 7 at level 18). You regain all your expended Command Dice when you finish taking a short or long rest.

A PERFECT TEAM
You and your soldiers fight in harmony - you are a perfect team. Attacks made using your soldiers use your attack and damage numbers. Attacks against your soldiers target your defences and reduce your hit points. You and your soldiers still can't be affected twice by any one attack, even if an Area of Effect attack hits 2 or more of your team.

HIGH COMMAND
At 10th level, your Command Dice turn into d10s. At 18th level, they turn into d12s.

UNSTOPPABLE
Starting at 15th level, when you roll initiative and have no command dice remaining, you regain 1 command die.

FORMATIONS
SHIELD WALL (formation): You and your soldiers remain adjacent. You and your soldiers are a contiguous unit, no other creature can move "through" you. You may make any of your Attacks or Opportunity Attacks as if you were in the position of yourself or any of your soldiers. This is the default formation. If you haven't commanded your soldiers to take up another formation, they stay in this one. When you spend your last Command Die, you may also order soldiers to return to this formation, which they do on the next round.

SUPPORT (formation): Your Soldiers stay back from melee combat, but remain close. They stay adjacent to each other, but don't have to stay adjacent to you. You save with Advantage on any Area Of Effect attack that targets your soldiers (but not you) in this formation. Each round, you may make ONE of your attacks as if you were in the position of any of your soldiers.

BODYGUARD (formation): Pick a number of allies (including yourself) equal to the number of Soldiers you command. Each of your soldiers stays adjacent to their ally, guarding them. The soldier and ally form a contiguous unit, no other creature may move "through" them. An ally adjacent to a soldier gains a +1 bonus to their AC while you use this formation. You may make any of your attacks or opportunity attacks as if you occupied the position of a soldier adjacent to you. You may make ONE of your attacks each round (but not an opportunity attack) as though you occupied the position of any of your soldiers.

ORDERS
RETALIATION (Shield Wall) Whenever you could make an Opportunity Attack from the position of any of your soldiers, expend a Command Die and roll it to deal that much damage to the target. This does not consume your reaction.

FALL BACK (Shield Wall) Expend a Command Die, roll it once, and divide that amount of damage among opponents adjacent to your soldiers. Your soldiers then simultaneously disengage and move back from melee combat. They move up to their movement speed and end adjacent to each other. They do not provoke opportunity attacks while doing so. At the end of this order, change the formation to Support.

FIGHT IN THE SHADE (support) Use an Attack Action to expend a Command Die and designate a number of creatures (squares) equal to the number of soldiers you command, as targets. Roll the Command Die. Those targets take that amount of damage. You may target the same creature (square) more than once.

TO ME! (support) Use an Attack Action to expend a Command Die. Your Soldiers move up to twice their movement, ending adjacent to you. Roll the Command Die once, each soldier deals that much damage to an adjacent opponent. At the end of this order, change the formation to Shield Wall.

NOOOOOOOOO! (Bodyguard) Expend a Command Die. Every ally adjacent to a soldier (this can include yourself) has Advantage on all saving throws until the start of your next turn.

COMBAT MEDICS (Bodyguard) Expend a Command Die and roll it. Any ally next to a soldier (this can include yourself) is healed that many hit points.

THE BEST DEFENCE... (Bodyguard) Expend a Command Die and roll it. Any enemy adjacent to a soldier or adjacent to an ally with an adjacent soldier takes that much damage if they attack a soldier or an ally with an adjacent soldier until the start of your next turn.

I've apparently lost my notes for "3/6/9/12 dudes = one adventurer" as a class.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Mar 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Numlock posted:

Said dwarf got swallowed but used a grappling hook to remain stuck in the dragons throat and effectively choke it to death.

That is loving awesome and way better than 'rocks fall dragon dies'.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

ritorix posted:

That is loving awesome and way better than 'rocks fall dragon dies'.

That is awesome. Good thing the dragon didn't have some sort of throat-borne attack to defend itself with. 😂

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Kaal posted:

That is awesome. Good thing the dragon didn't have some sort of throat-borne attack to defend itself with. 😂

Gotta inhale to exhale!

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Numlock posted:

So I’ve wrapped up my middle earth game.

The climatic battle was fun affair featuring the 3 PCs being chased by a cold drake up and down this abandoned dwarf fortress just like in The desolation of Smaug. Now the drake was not the BBG, the PCs were able to sneak in and ruin his plan (to enslave the cold drake) and didn’t have to fight the cold drake which would have let them leave. Possibly to return 5-7 levels later as they were only level 7 and only three vs a monster from the 1st age. But my dwarf player wouldn’t have that and tricked the drake into having a 1000 ton stone dropped on it. This didn’t kill the dragon which used its corrosive acid breath to meld the floor enough it was simply smashed into the lower floor instead of being pancaked (it took massive damage). Cue Benny hill chase music.

Said dwarf got swallowed but used a grappling hook to remain stuck in the dragons throat and effectively choke it to death. They barely survived by the skin of their teeth.

I was playing out of a premade module and it’s info on fighting the dragon boiled down to “the players are doomed.”

Which book is that adventure from? I have some AiMe books but I haven't really done much with the system yet. How do you like it?

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Kaal posted:

It did but it used it to melt a hole in the floor (to not die from the trap that was obviously there to kill it) just prior to the fight starting. Not something I’m supposed to use every round but the dragon died before it “recharged”.

Epi Lepi posted:

Which book is that adventure from? I have some AiMe books but I haven't really done much with the system yet. How do you like it?

Wilderland adventures.

We enjoyed it, I made a point of focusing on the most middle earth aspects of the game so the players spent a lot of time solving riddles, singing songs and smoking pipes for challenges.

Not a setting for murder hobos, and it took a little adjustment for the players to not auto attack everything that looked at them funny or give respect to the village headman instead of ignoring any authority figure that wasnt obviously stronger than them. But they adjusted.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Hey has anyone messed with the Liches and Lasers stuff? The theming and stuff is totally my jam, but it seems.....um poorly balanced, so before I spend money on 3rd party stuff, just wanna see if there is any threadsensus on it.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/snickelsox/lasers-and-liches-new-5e-sourcebooks

Mambo No. 5
Feb 25, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

I've playtested this a couple times and it works ok but I'm sure it'll all fall to pieces if you put it up against people who are optimising official classes. I've got it done up as a pdf (and goddamn I'm bad at making stuff look pretty) but I dunno how/where to host that.

I've apparently lost my notes for "3/6/9/12 dudes = one adventurer" as a class.

Thanks! I'll show this to my GM and see what he thinks about letting me use it.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo
So here's a question for those of you who've played Curse of Strahd:

Does it actually get any good?

We've played through Lost Mines before and it was ok. Nothing amazing but a perfectly functional intro-adventure to D&D, involving goblins, some bandits, and some weirder stuff. It's even got a dragon and some dungeons in it. Classic stuff.

This time though? We've played a couple of sessions and I thought it was just me, but yesterday I spoke with another player and we both are just kinda bored with it? Like, we're whisked away into the magical Railroad Fog and we meet some NPCs (dead and otherwise) who tell us their tales of woe and all I can think is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAA1xgTTw9w

This is not my land, these are not my people, and no way are their problems suddenly our problems. You guys have trouble with the ancient vampire lord who rules this domain? Why the gently caress do you think we can do anything for you? Even if we wanted to (which we don't), we self-evidently can't. It's obvious this sort of poo poo has happened to other adventurers before us, we have no delusions of grandeur. We aren't your chosen ones who can fix the things that they could not. And worse, it's obvious that Strahd brought us here on purpose so whatever we do is with the implicit approval of the villain, who's in it to get some entertainment going I guess? This doesn't motivate us.

I'm not looking for spoilers. Just tell me if it gets better, please.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Hi I'm thinking of getting back into D&D as I had a lot of fun with 4E, but my small little group lost steam.

I'm curious what the best way to find a group these days is, as I'm pretty out if the loop. I'm in Sydney Australia, but I'm not physically close to any game stores worth half a drat

My preference is proper face to face play, but is roll20 the alternative for online play? Anywhere else like Reddit, or is there a good site for Aussies?

I'd really like to throw myself in the deepens and role play proper if I could.
Sorry for 50 questions

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Sage Genesis posted:

I hope this is vague enough, and if it doesn't sound like something you care for then you want a different adventure:

There are a lot of things you can do or collect to get stronger or otherwise improve your position, and then you go bust down the gate of Strahd's castle and kill him. You're presented with him as a threat early on but you can't hope to kill him until much later. The "woe is me" is toned down a lot after the first town and there's a lot of hosed up stuff to see and a lot of stuff that tries to kill you out there, as well as things that are or resemble dungeon crawls and other more standard D&D content.

It's just a bit front-loaded with tone.

edit: It might take tuning for the group on the part of the DM if people aren't interested in taking in the spooky atmosphere or if the DM isn't good at delivering it though, and even though there's a lot of "typical" D&D content in it it leans more heavily on exploration and talky stuff

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Mar 10, 2019

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Sage Genesis posted:

So here's a question for those of you who've played Curse of Strahd:

Does it actually get any good?

We've played through Lost Mines before and it was ok. Nothing amazing but a perfectly functional intro-adventure to D&D, involving goblins, some bandits, and some weirder stuff. It's even got a dragon and some dungeons in it. Classic stuff.

This time though? We've played a couple of sessions and I thought it was just me, but yesterday I spoke with another player and we both are just kinda bored with it? Like, we're whisked away into the magical Railroad Fog and we meet some NPCs (dead and otherwise) who tell us their tales of woe and all I can think is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAA1xgTTw9w

This is not my land, these are not my people, and no way are their problems suddenly our problems. You guys have trouble with the ancient vampire lord who rules this domain? Why the gently caress do you think we can do anything for you? Even if we wanted to (which we don't), we self-evidently can't. It's obvious this sort of poo poo has happened to other adventurers before us, we have no delusions of grandeur. We aren't your chosen ones who can fix the things that they could not. And worse, it's obvious that Strahd brought us here on purpose so whatever we do is with the implicit approval of the villain, who's in it to get some entertainment going I guess? This doesn't motivate us.

It sounds like it's being very badly presented by your DM.

For starters, Strahd is a powerful entity who just brought you there to gently caress with you, so simply trying to escape him is a perfectly acceptable goal and something the module assumes. But virtually all paths to escape Strahd involve growing strong enough to confront him.

So, really, the basic goal is "beat Strahd" no matter whether you're inclined towards selfishness or heroics. He's going to keep bullying you until you either do that, or give up and die. If your group isn't getting that, you're either stupid or the DM is loving up bad.

Another thing is that with the module as written, the people of Bavaria has no illusions whatsoever that your group will be the ones to defeat the vampire lord - if you're around and they think you can help them with their immediate troubles then they'll attempt to enlist your help (sometimes through subterfuge), but as far as everyone is concerned, Strahd is invincible. Hell, even most of the few people prodding you to go defeat Strahd consider you just one more of the bunch.

What the module does have as a flaw is that it does very little to present NPCs as likeable or sympathetic, so that's entirely on the shoulders of the DM if they want you to want to care about helping the people of Bavaria out of convenience, principle, or out of genuine concern (by way of characterization).

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Mar 10, 2019

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Conspiratiorist posted:

It sounds like it's being very badly presented by your DM.

That's possible. The DM in question is fairly new. But there's no quick and easy fixing that, so I guess what I'm basically asking is: will the adventure itself have anything great to offer later on (we're not that far in I think), or am I looking forward to more of the same?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

I mean, who did you run into, Ireena?

She's the only character in the story who wants big drat heroes to defeat Strahd.

She's also little more than a plot hook with a name - completely irrelevant.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo
I'm not sure on the names, my notes and the character sheets are all in the campaign folder at the DM's place. But I'm fairly sure we didn't meet Ireena herself, but did meet her brother. She's the lady that Strahd wants as his vampire bride, basically, yes?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Yeah.

She's got a bunch of events associated with her but they don't matter. At worst all you get is Strahd blaming you if she dies under your watch.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Sage Genesis posted:

That's possible. The DM in question is fairly new. But there's no quick and easy fixing that, so I guess what I'm basically asking is: will the adventure itself have anything great to offer later on (we're not that far in I think), or am I looking forward to more of the same?

Define great though.

If you like to fight stuff and crawl through dungeons there is a lot of that. There are several small dungeons, big dungeons, and Strahd's castle is a huge dungeon.

If you want to talk to characters who aren't depressed out of their minds and solve mysteries and find out who isn't really as they seem, there is a lot of that after the first town.

If you want to explore, it shouldn't be so railroady after the introduction. There just aren't many places to go except forward until you get past the first town.

If you want to go on a treasure hunt with some clues, there's that too but it's a minor spoiler as to how you get the clues. if you get a chance to get your fortune told, go for it

If you want motivation and the DM's portrayal of the situation or NPCs isn't giving it to you, then at least you should be trying to survive and escape the cursed land.

I think Curse of Strahd is great but it requires some skill on the part of the DM to pull off and it's more sensitive than usual to what the players really want out of the game.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 10, 2019

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo
That's a fair question. I guess being inspired and motivated is the main thing. Everything you list sounds like it could be fun, but it's all in the execution, you know? At least it's good to know it gets less railroady and there's more non-depressed characters to look forward to. We'll see how the DM pulls it off.

Thanks for the answers.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Sage Genesis posted:

That's a fair question. I guess being inspired and motivated is the main thing. Everything you list sounds like it could be fun, but it's all in the execution, you know? At least it's good to know it gets less railroady and there's more non-depressed characters to look forward to. We'll see how the DM pulls it off.

Thanks for the answers.

Reminder to speak to your DM about any issues so they can adjust to make it fun for you.

My DM ran us through CoS about a year ago. It was very fun. After the first town you can go off and do whatever. Its very sandboxy.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Honestly I think that DMs and players should endeavor to be involved in crafting character hooks during character creation. So many PCs struggle to find motivation if they're developed without any plot context.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Session 0 is important.

I'm trying to corral my players into doing a session 0 before we kick off Storm King's Thunder, and god drat trying to get people on a call for an hour is like pulling teeth.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The easiest character creations Ive done have the DM going, "This is the rough adventure youre about to go on, this is the place that it starts, make a character backstory that explains why youre there and why youre willing to go along for the ride" about a week before session 0.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah did you make a character who doesn't want to go on the adventure? You should want to go on the adventure. You can figure out why - maybe you'd quite like to go back home, maybe you think this guy's a jerk, maybe you have empathy for the people around. I haven't spoiled myself on this one so I don't know quite where the action is - have you had a few sessions without any fighting or anything?

I can understand being bored by a session, 100%, some sessions are unengaging, but it seems weird if it's because your character lacks motivation - you made up the character and its motivations, can't you make up different ones so they are interested in the adventure? Like, I also like player-driven sandbox play, so I get wanting to choose where you go and what you do, but you signed up for a premade module. My understanding is that it becomes more of a sandbox soon, but it shouldn't be surprising that it involves people and their problems. Why are the people of Barovia different from the dwarves of lost mines? Why did you care about them?

Like I'm not saying your criticism is illegitimate, I'm sure there's a perfectly good reason you're dissatisfied, but I don't think it's that your characters motivations aren't aligned with the situation, given that you get to wholesale make them up anyway.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Yeah the two questions I ask now are

"Why is your character invested in this adventure?"

And

"What makes you capable of being on this adventure?"

In character you can hate any aspect of actually being on the quest. Bilbo Baggins it up. But you have to make someone who doesn't kill gameplay as a character. Also, I guess you CAN retire a character after their first big score. But that means you retire the character, they become an NPC, and you make a new character that wants to play the game.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Has anyone here run Lost Laboratory of Kwalish? I'm using it with my home game of 9th level players right now. They're mostly through the monastery right now after two sessions and will get to Daoine Gloine next session. This part seems pretty bare bones and underutilized. I'm thinking of pulling in some material from the special random encounters charts in the appendix so they don't just explore a mostly abandoned city. Anyone else modify this section or have suggestions?

Free Triangle
Jan 2, 2008

"This is no ordinary poster boy!
No ordinary poster!"
While we're on the topic of curse of strahd, is leveling supposed to be rare in this adventure path? I feel like we're heading towards a TPK with how strong the monsters are. We hit level 3 after the starter haunted house and have't gained a level since. So far we did the first town, killed 3 witches who could one shot us with lightning bolts, fought some minions of the titular character, and we're about to have stern words with a coffin maker.

I brought up levelling with the DM and he said we level when we find some important items which we have no idea what we're looking for, or a general are to start looking. Is this adventure just supposed to be brutal? Or is this something we have to Go Over Like Adults~

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

How the gently caress did you clean out the Bonegrinder at level 3?!

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
DM probably pulled punches just like every single other DM who runs strahd. That encounter is so badly designed.

We were 3 as well because you find it just down the road right after the haunted house.

To answer your q, you should level soon, the book says to hit 5 after dealing with the town.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Our DM gave us 4 for clearing bone grinder. And he toned it down a little. And there were 5 of us

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Heh, was kind of dreading being a rogue for my first session in our new Homebrew campaign. Started at level 5 and drat. Hiding behind our wizard and sneak attack one shotting lvl 7 bandits was hilarious and gave our DM a double take. Also pick pocketed more gold than the rest of the party made combined.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo
Re: motivation.

We're actually three players and it's the same party who did Lost Mines earlier. (This means we're also not level 1 but the DM said he'd adjust encounters to compensate. So far that does seem to be true.) When CoS was suggested we went along with it, as most of us remember Spooky Halloween D&D from our 2e days. All of us know that we're going to find a way out at the end of CoS. As players we're motivated by that, and of course just the idea of having a fun gaming night with friends.

But for our characters it's been miserable. It's been railroady. It's been uninspiring. After a haunted house scenario, Strahd showed up in person to mock us and basically told us straight up that we were only there to amuse him, implying that we were just pawns, that he could kill us right there and then, and we could never really beat him. Strahd also apparently controls the weather, the wildlife, and the totally-not-gypsies. There's also no smith in town so we can't stock up on several important arms and supplies.

So yeah, as players we know we can (eventually) fight him and go home. But our characters feel like they've been trapped in a crapsack world where their best is never good enough, and even if they did fight him it'd be all according to Strahd's keikaku. It's just kind of hard to retain enthusiasm after several sessions of that. Not just me. All of the players.

Hmm. As I type this out and see how other people have experienced the adventure, I think I'm pretty sure where the problem lies.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Sage Genesis posted:

Re: motivation.

We're actually three players and it's the same party who did Lost Mines earlier. (This means we're also not level 1 but the DM said he'd adjust encounters to compensate. So far that does seem to be true.) When CoS was suggested we went along with it, as most of us remember Spooky Halloween D&D from our 2e days. All of us know that we're going to find a way out at the end of CoS. As players we're motivated by that, and of course just the idea of having a fun gaming night with friends.

But for our characters it's been miserable. It's been railroady. It's been uninspiring. After a haunted house scenario, Strahd showed up in person to mock us and basically told us straight up that we were only there to amuse him, implying that we were just pawns, that he could kill us right there and then, and we could never really beat him. Strahd also apparently controls the weather, the wildlife, and the totally-not-gypsies. There's also no smith in town so we can't stock up on several important arms and supplies.

So yeah, as players we know we can (eventually) fight him and go home. But our characters feel like they've been trapped in a crapsack world where their best is never good enough, and even if they did fight him it'd be all according to Strahd's keikaku. It's just kind of hard to retain enthusiasm after several sessions of that. Not just me. All of the players.

Hmm. As I type this out and see how other people have experienced the adventure, I think I'm pretty sure where the problem lies.

I was gonna make a post similar to Jeffrey from YOSPOS's about "why did you make characters who don't want to adventure," but I see you responded.

Your characters are trapped in a crapsack world and their best isn't good enough, but if you made characters who check out and roll over at that kind of obstacle then it's not the module for them. They should be amped to figure out a way to punk Strahd's rear end, mad that the odds are against them and ready to gently caress up everyone in their way until they can go home.

I think you also have a bit of a disconnect because you as players know your characters can't win (yet) but your characters shouldn't think so hard about "raising their power levels" until they can beat Strahd. One of the early hurdles in my Strahd game was I had the man himself show up fairly early in Barovia. My players kind of froze because they knew out of character that they couldn't kill Strahd so they were trying to metagame what to do. I had to say to them, "you and I both know you can't beat him yet but trust me I'm not gonna just kill you right here and now, take a step back and think of what your character would do right now." The fighter responded "Well my guy would try to fight his rear end" and I said go for it and we had a fun combat.

I think that instance helped them get more into playing a character instead of controlling pawns in a boardgame. Maybe you guys are having a similar issue.

Kung Food
Dec 11, 2006

PORN WIZARD
Oooh kay, so I have a player that REALLY wants to craft potions because they want to play an alchemy spec artificer and potions is a big part of that. Me being a big softy pushover DM who wants my players happy I want to be able to let them. The RAW for crafting in the DMG is super sparse and only involves buying materials at stores, while my player wants to go out and roll nature for mats. So I am currently brainstorming a homebrew system for foraging mats and am wondering if anyone thinks this will totally be unbalanced:

First of all they need a formula and to be correct level for the rarity. Next they need a glass vial and a number of alchemy "elements" based on the crafting price. Then it would take a number of days to craft based on rarity (I would use something akin to this table: https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA_Downtime.pdf) pg8. The elements would be: life, earth, wind, fire, water and mind (what they actually are is up to the player's imagination, ie life element can be a healing herb, mind element peyote or a psychoactive mushroom). To find elements they would go out and make a nature check to determine if they find any (DC10? DC15?) and if they succeed have them roll 1d6 to discover what they found (based on environment). Maybe 1 element is worth 25g worth of crafting material? Meaning my player would need 1 life element per healing potion and 4 elements to make a greater healing potion. This is something I still need to figure out.

So I guess my questions are:
What is the average value in crafting material that my player should be able to find a day? If I made the check DC 15 she would find an element every other day with +5 nature, and if each element had a 25g value that would be on average 12.5g found a day. Is that too much?
Would this unbalance the game with a wave of potions? With these values it would average 3 days total between foraging and crafting to make a healing potion, and 15 to make a greater healing, which doesn't seem so bad. Should I just go with it and adjust difficulty accordingly if they are having too easy a time?
Is this even worth it and would it slow down the pace of play too much?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Sage Genesis posted:

Yeah I've tried CoS twice.

Depression central doomy sadness of the bloodstained darkness of the moon howled night cloud blood dark spiderweb gloom was super loving lame and fell apart because nobody was engaged.

Strahd showing up after every PC success and basically going "I'll get you next time, Gadget! Neeeeeeext tiiiiiiiiiiime!" was amazing and only fell apart because I moved 4 hours away.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

Depression central doomy sadness of the bloodstained darkness of the moon howled night cloud blood dark spiderweb gloom was super loving lame and fell apart because nobody was engaged.

I get that this isn't a vibe for everyone but I don't get people who play "DRACULA: THE ADVENTURE MODULE" when they know that's not their vibe.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hey guys I need an appropriate price tag for this thing.

quote:

Oversized Longbow WDH
Martial Weapon, Ranged Weapon
2 lbs. 2d6 piercing - ammunition (150/600 ft.), heavy, two-handed

This unique weapon can be used only by a Medium or larger creature that has a Strength of 18 or higher. The bow shoots oversized arrows that deal piercing damage equal to 2d6 + the wielder's Strength modifier.
Range.

A weapon that can be used to make a ranged attack has a range shown in parentheses after the ammunition or thrown property. The range lists two numbers. The first is the weapon's normal range in feet, and the second indicates the weapon's maximum range. When attacking a target beyond normal range, you have disadvantage on the attack roll. You can't attack a target beyond the weapon's long range.
Ammunition.

You can use a weapon that has the ammunition property to make a ranged attack only if you have ammunition to fire from the weapon. Each time you attack with the weapon, you expend one piece of ammunition. Drawing the ammunition from a quiver, case, or other container is part of the attack. Loading a one-handed weapon requires a free hand. At the end of the battle, you can recover half your expended ammunition by taking a minute to search the battlefield.

If you use a weapon that has the ammunition property to make a melee attack, you treat the weapon as an improvised weapon. A sling must be loaded to deal any damage when used in this way.
Heavy.

Small creatures have disadvantage on attack rolls with heavy weapons. A heavy weapon's size and bulk make it too large for a Small creature to use effectively.
Two-Handed.

This weapon requires two hands to use. This property is relevant only when you attack with the weapon, not when you simply hold it.

Source: WDH, page 201

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Epi Lepi posted:

I get that this isn't a vibe for everyone but I don't get people who play "DRACULA: THE ADVENTURE MODULE" when they know that's not their vibe.

Not everyone is already familiar with Ravenloft, and it's not marketed as or necessarily intended as "Nihilism: The Adventure Module. "Fantasy-Horror" could just as easily be Dracula or Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein - and from what I'm hearing, COS could be too, so it's up to the DM to determine (and ideally share) what tone they're going to choose.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Lurdiak posted:

Lurdiak posted:

I'd say that it would be broadly equivalent to an uncommon magical weapon, so 100-500 GP. Note that Ziraj is a CR 8 monster, despite the weapon effectively only adding a 1d4 on a hit. It really depends on your campaign, but I'd price it comparable to a Longbow+1. For my campaign I'd probably price it around 400 GP.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Epi Lepi posted:

D&D isn't a horror game, Strahd-adjacent stuff has always been every single dumb vampire cliche thrown into a D&D shaped bucket, and I'm never going to think playing it straight with the whinygloom is anything other than lame.

<hits wolf howl on halloween soundboard> ZE SCHILDREN OFF DER NIGHT, VOT VONDERVUL MUSIK ZEY MAKE AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!1!!1! <pipe organ solo over visuals of bargain bin dracula swordfighting with wizards, elves, and guys that shoot fire out of their magic lutes>

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
People play CoS straight without constant castylvania/true blood/whatever references??