Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Deakul posted:

So, Wargroove owns and is the Advance Wars successor that I've been waiting for.

starbound seemed good at first too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

I still unironically play this game from time to time. I even make dumb mods too.

One mod I've recently come to love is the RPG growth mod that adds classes like wizard/knight/rogue and the like. It's actually really well done and can drastically change the way you play the game. Also gives lots of good progression too.

Currently playing as this ghost-class thing that can hover through walls and poo poo like those ethereal monsters always do. Takes energy to do, reduces my health quite a bit, but it's super fun!

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Sometimes I think, at least they released something with the semblance of a game and with other (sometimes super lovely) people picking up the slack with mods. Imagine being the devs of games like Planet Centauri, CREA or edge of space half a decade after the sandbox craze is gone on and they're still on early access.

I don't want to lump the signs of life guy in here because he's cool with me but he's in a similar situation. hell, I'd like to hear his input on this

nerdz fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 1, 2019

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

nerdz posted:

Sometimes I think, at least they released something with the semblance of a game and with other (sometimes super lovely) people picking up the slack with mods. Imagine being the devs of games like Planet Centauri, CREA or edge of space half a decade after the sandbox craze is gone on and they're still on early access.

I don't want to lump the signs of life guy in here because he's cool with me but he's in a similar situation. hell, I'd like to hear his input on this

Well, they manged to make a pretty sprawling game with lots of content and (apparently) really solid mod support, and they were incredible financially successful. They also did a great job building hype and creating a huge community. I think what the Chucklefish folks did is really impressive, despite the fact that Starbound isn't really something that I want to play personally.

In our case, we're not particularly worried about how long our game has been in Early Access because ultimately we're still making the game we want to make. We've got a tiny team of just 2 people doing everything, which results in very slow progress but a more cohesive vision. Our tiny team also means we've got less overhead, which means the long development time hasn't really been a huge problem for us financially. We've done very little marketing, because we figure there is no point in advertising until the game is finished since that is when it will show the best. Our assumption is that people only care about how long a game has been in Early Access while it is in Early Access, and when we finally finish it folks will only care about the final product. Impossible to say if people will still want a sci-fi sandbox game when we're done, but all we can do is make the best game we know how to.

Lucid Dream fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 1, 2019

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

At least with Wargroove the Florans are in a better game now. :shrug:

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

it doesn't actually have a lot of content, it just has a long range of numbers

and the hype and community was primarily caused because they went 'what if terraria but more'

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Patware posted:

and the hype and community was primarily caused because they went 'what if terraria but more'

Starbound reminds me a lot of No Man's Sky. Both games are technically impressive and have incredible breadth, but they are at least somewhat lacking in depth. Both games were marketed in such a way that let folks imagine their individual perfect game, both games left a lot of people disappointing when the game didn't meet their expectations, and both games made a shitload of money. Both games were made by a talented team of folks, but they both failed to hold my attention because all the random generation ended up making exploration feel lackluster.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

I Said No posted:

Tiy is a loving saint compared to Brad "it is my right to sexually harass my employees" Wardell

i am like 75% sure there is literally no game developer worse than loving wardell, the man is a cesspit

surely you mean brad 'it is my right to kill my employees' wardell.

reminder: the dude had an employee who was deathly allergic to bees, purchased a whole bunch of drones, and released them near the guy as a joke

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Deakul posted:

So, Wargroove owns and is the Advance Wars successor that I've been waiting for.
You still shouldn't buy it because Tiy doesn't deserve your money.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Patware posted:

It's got a lot of funny-colored dirt.

I'm including stuff like "eyeball terrain" and poo poo in this. They don't really affect anything. Terraria has more genuine variety in biomes.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
And it did have some interesting things going for it but Tiy saw that people were having fun with it, and declared "this will not stand".

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kly posted:

starbound seemed good at first too

I can't wait for them to add ammo and movement fatigue and nerf guns.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Patware posted:

it's a shame, i've probably said this before but the original concept for starbound was actually very interesting (and one of the reasons i joined the project so readily) and would have changed up the sandbox genre somewhat, just somewhere around feb 2012 when we announced it became "forget all of the cool poo poo, let's just make terraria but more"

i remember there being a huge shift in focusing on numbers and being able to brag about having obscene amount of xyz, be it guns, monsters, whatever, because random generation was all the rage back in 2012. we'd proudly say the game had "billions" of monsters, fully knowing it was disingenuous and functionally we had like...3, with minor differences in AI models. certain people didn't really understand the economics of producing assets and thought we could mass produce randomly genned content that had the feel and personality of custom designed ones, which is why we ended up with so much content that didn't really do anything

Rhopunzel fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Feb 2, 2019

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

the absolute worst thing about starbound to me above all else is that finding a new biome means nothing because the only thing unique to them are furniture sets

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Patware posted:

the absolute worst thing about starbound to me above all else is that finding a new biome means nothing because the only thing unique to them are furniture sets

"who made this set of perfectly sculpted ice furniture? why is it here? who knows, who cares!"

mystery and exploration done right, folks

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

also how like half of the starbound 'story' is just 'go scan a bunch of bullshit'

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Player space stations are one of the newer features of Starbound. You can spend a shitload of tungsten and titanium for modular station pieces that you can't remove once placed, and can't edit or adjust in any way other than whatever furnature you decide to fill it with.

Oh, but you could fill it with tenants? But you'd get poo poo rent from them since soace counts as tier 1. Better off choosing any other planet.

So the thing that really makes player made stations cool and interesting is

You're better off just free-building in an asteroid field where you have more creative freedom, is cheaper to build stuff, and is generally less of a pita to work with if you REALLY want a base in space.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

and absolutely none of those rooms actually have any functions. the NPCs in terraria would give you new poo poo or unlock entire mechanics or what have you

the only use of the player station is to store all your frackin' universe bullshit if you're desperate enough to use that mod

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I dunno that I've noticed tenants in a player built space station is locked to tier 1.

I've recently been playing again but on hardcore mode and fudging it a little by looking at the data logs to find their system to have my other survival character find them and drop off a decent starting weapon and armor before they go to the Erchius base to get their ftl fixed. Even with that leg up, I just had my third hardcore character die stupidly.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

I can't wait for them to add ammo and movement fatigue and nerf guns.

Theres a mod for that. Also there's a new starbound mod that allows you to combine Augments.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=739151610
"one augment to rule them all"

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

been a month since the thread was bumped here we go again:

does a mod make the game good yet

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

A firm yes I f you hate people of colour and/or love love Nazis.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Weavered posted:

A firm yes I f you hate people of colour and/or love love Nazis.

So, it's good for the Governor of Virginia and that one moron that got decked whose name I can't be assed to remember

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

spit on my clit posted:

So, it's good for the Governor of Virginia and that one moron that got decked whose name I can't be assed to remember

Richard Spencer. I feel like it's important to know who that was, but for his detriment rather than benefit.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
What did chucklefish do? Not trying to stir up poo poo here i just honestly dont know. They are just a logo that pops up before stardew to me.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

ZeusCannon posted:

What did chucklefish do? Not trying to stir up poo poo here i just honestly dont know. They are just a logo that pops up before stardew to me.

Hell even in the case of stardew there's enough stuff, they're the publisher of it, they did nothing a publisher is expected to, such as advertising.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

ZeusCannon posted:

They've been generally terrible for their employees, their games, and their player communities. Oh, and their office dog.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 10, 2019

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ZeusCannon posted:

Someone who writes on the regular can edit this to read better afterwards but just so someone can actually answer the question in some way.

RareAcumen posted:

Chucklefish are notable for not advertising Stardew Valley at all, poorly managing development of Starbound to a mind boggling degree. I'm talking little to no direction, so they'd have to come up with poo poo on our own, but unlike most studios, they couldn't show a sketch/storyboard/concept before proceeding, it had to be a 100% polished mockup to even be taken seriously, which meant to get an idea off the ground they'd have to sink dozens of hours before it was even considered, and if it wasn't, all that time and assets would go to waste and as if that wasn't enough while all this was going on, assets/sets people that were approved before would be deemed "poo poo" and or written out and need to be redone, no questions, no reasoning.

The CF devs openly used to post here very often during early development trying to drum up hype for the game, but suddenly vanished when people started asking questions they didn't want to answer. SA is a tough crowd to begin with but we can generally tell when a dev has cynical/manipulative/condescending motivations for posting and don't respond nicely to it.

And then there was the bit where they had all their employees move to...I wanna say London(?) if they want to keep working for the company and the fact that they weren't getting paid for most of the development. And if that wasn't enough villainy, getting an office dog as a mascot and then rehoming it weeks later after no-one took care of it is surely the most evil move they can make short of becoming Umbrella.

Don't buy Wargroove

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

From that thread, as well...

The Colonel posted:

i'm gonna say you can probably sum up the bad parts of chucklefish by just saying tiyuri said he'd only hire women he thinks are hot

:stare:

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

hi so our game's coming along pretty well but we're going to need two things pretty soon:

1) a proper name and

2) testers

right now the working title is "space survival" which obviously is dogshit. i'd prefer something with a single word, two words max

anyone who's interested in testing PM me for a link to our discord

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Rhopunzel posted:

hi so our game's coming along pretty well but we're going to need two things pretty soon:

1) a proper name and

2) testers

right now the working title is "space survival" which obviously is dogshit. i'd prefer something with a single word, two words max

I have on good authority that "Jerks" is still available.

Or "It's always sunny in space"

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Rhopunzel posted:

1) a proper name and

2) testers

Space Cowboys ah gently caress thats a movie nevermind

GTFO gently caress!

stardrop valley i'm not even trying...

Astrophobia?

spit on my clit fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Mar 11, 2019

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Rhopunzel posted:

Starbounce

Disastronauts

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Cat Mattress posted:

Starbounce

Disastronauts

i actually quite like disastronauts, it sheds light on the more chaotic SS13 style gameplay we're going for

ditty bout my clitty posted:

I have on good authority that "Jerks" is still available.

Or "It's always sunny in space"

e: space jerks would be pretty funny too, but i don't think it'd market very well :(

Rhopunzel fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 11, 2019

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Rhopunzel posted:

i actually quite like disastronauts, it sheds light on the more chaotic SS13 style gameplay we're going for

Go with my blessing.

After running a quick Google check, there's some London-based band with that name and an episode (S1E34) of some series called "My Favorite Martian", so maybe it's not original enough. But apparently, no other game.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Mar 11, 2019

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Cat Mattress posted:

Go with my blessing.

you'll definitely get credit if we go with this, it's my favorite so far. and we've been looking for months lmao

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
take after how minecraft and starbound took their names from popular games that had nothing to do with them like warcraft and earthbound, name your game "starry nite"

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Rhopunzel posted:

1) a proper name and

2) testers

Boundstar

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

spaceholes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Rhopunzel posted:

1) a proper name and

2) testers

"space survival" = dogshit

"spacesurvival" = the poo poo