Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Mission 18 is one of the best collections of fanservice I've seen in a thing ever and is pushing the game into my favorite one in the series super hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

tried that and it didn't work. guess i need to time it better

Here's a timestamped video run of the blue orb one. Spoiler warning though, since it's all the collectible locations in the game.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I beat the game! It was very good. But it took me a whole lot of effort to beat mission 19. I also felt kind of cheesey because my offense basically consisted of dodging while closing in, launching Vergil and then juggling him with the flicker jabs... and nothing else. Even as the fight escalated, that was all I did--except when I was panickedly running away in Trickster when he had DT and I didn't have SDT.

I also feel good because I cleared my plate before Sekiro comes out. I can't think of the last time two games I was anticipating and (probably will) enjoy both so much came out in such close proximity. March this year makes November most years look like poo poo.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Captain Baal posted:

Mission 18 is one of the best collections of fanservice I've seen in a thing ever and is pushing the game into my favorite one in the series super hard

I loved it the instant I heard they remixed the old DMC1 battle themes. And Dante's battle chatter with them. Just a shame there's no lava spider.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Did I gently caress something up or was picking Nightmare as your first reclaimed demon in the filler Artemis fight not playtested somehow? I whittled down her health with the cane and it just stayed on 0%, had to die on purpose to restart that segment

Game was loving great anyways and the RE Engine is ridiculous, can't wait to see what's next for it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ruffian Price posted:

Did I gently caress something up or was picking Nightmare as your first reclaimed demon in the filler Artemis fight not playtested somehow? I whittled down her health with the cane and it just stayed on 0%, had to die on purpose to restart that segment

Game was loving great anyways and the RE Engine is ridiculous, can't wait to see what's next for it

Did you use the book to gain DT and summon Nightmare?

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Sure did! Nightmare attacking on his own and Promotion attacks behaved the same. I also checked out a few other non-obvious routes, but it seemed like you had to attack with any other demon at least once during that fight to trigger the end animation. No biggie, just wondered if anyone else encountered this - pretty much the only issue I've had in the entire playthrough

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ruffian Price posted:

Sure did! Nightmare attacking on his own and Promotion attacks behaved the same. I also checked out a few other non-obvious routes, but it seemed like you had to attack with any other demon at least once during that fight to trigger the end animation. No biggie, just wondered if anyone else encountered this - pretty much the only issue I've had in the entire playthrough

That sucks. How weird.

Though to be honest that entire mission feels pretty half-assed. Oh, let's take the character with the smallest moveset in the game and make you refight bosses with a truncated moveset.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

guts and bolts posted:

I actually think the game strikes a good balance. Having them cost orbs, but not so much that they're prohibitively expensive to replace, encourages the right mindset - these things are meant to be used, but not wasted. When to Break Away and when to pop your Break Age are meant to be meaningful choices, but choices you're still supposed to make to keep your style ranks up or get out of damage. On your first playthrough, the main thing that makes Nero mechanically interesting is his Devil Breakers and blowing them up.

No, what you're actually risking is players deciding not to break DBs at all because they don't want to waste them, and then deciding that Nero is boring and unfun. Precisely because you made the "main thing that makes him mechanically interesting" something that they feel discouraged from experimenting with.

I mean, I watched my brother play like that. He beat the game and literally never spent a single orb on Nero's arms, because he was always saving up for other upgrades.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 10, 2019

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

ImpAtom posted:

That sucks. How weird.

Though to be honest that entire mission feels pretty half-assed. Oh, let's take the character with the smallest moveset in the game and make you refight bosses with a truncated moveset.

Yeah I picked Nightmare first because I didn't know the other two were selectable to your left and right and went '.... oh, I have no normal attack buttons' and died before it clicked with me what was going on

Also fwiw I did do exactly that and didn't use Break Ages that much but still had a lot of fun with Nero, the Red Queen's extra moves like the mid-air dive and the hold triangle to follow your target makes it by far my favorite sword tbh

It was really awkward to go to Dante and realise 'oh I don't even get an air combo unless I'm in Swordmaster mode'

Merilan fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 10, 2019

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

There's really no shortcut to reset The Void eh? I gotta jump into the menu every time if I want to do it?

I guess that's what I get for being used to fighting games' training modes.

Eliirae
Mar 30, 2011

Clarste posted:

No, what you're actually risking is players deciding not to break DBs at all because they don't want to waste them, and then deciding that Nero is boring and unfun. Precisely because you made the "main thing that makes him mechanically interesting" something that they feel discouraged from experimenting with.

I mean, I watched my brother play like that. He beat the game and literally never spent a single orb on Nero's arms, because he was always saving up for other upgrades.

I agree that the devil breaker system isn't as intuitive as it could have been. That, and DBs aren't nearly as plentiful as you'd like if you're going around using them constantly and overclocking them, which coupled with you only being able to carry 3/4/5 until you need to scavenge one or two more throughout an entire level probably means people won't be using them as often as they "should".

Gerbera was my most used arm, simply because it gave me access to an air dash, in a sense. Everything else felt clunky and not very useful, honestly. Including riding on your arm. First, you have to push B to send your arm out, then hold B to bring it back so you can ride on it, all without being hit in the process or the arm just shatters and you wasted your time. Compare that to someone like V who has all his abilities from the get-go and unable to be taken away during combat (Okay, technically his familiars can "die" but not really.) or Dante who can swap between his styles and weapons an infinite number of times whenever he wants mid combo and it's easy to see why people might find Nero "boring."

I just played him like in DMC4, really. By default it means it's harder to get SS/SSS rankings on him, though.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
There are arms loving everywhere. There was I think one mission that I didn't skip at least one or two and sometimes like five arms on my first playthrough. After your first few missions you should have realized that you can go totally ham, and once you're fully unlocked and upgraded it's absurd. There are only a few cases I can think of where you probably want a specific arm and the game doesn't just give it to you.

It's definitely hard to get SSS with Nero first playthrough because you don't have his two biggest style tools.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Mar 10, 2019

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Someone give me advise on how to beat the Prologue Boss to get the secret ending please. Specifically I get destroyed by the attack where he uses Ragtime-like slowdown field, and not even the DT Explosion seems to get me out of it?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i am having a ton of trouble pulling off the Million Stab for some reason

i just end up spamming Stinger over and over again and looking terribly uncool

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Press forward, hold attack, INSTANTLY release the stick, and then when Dante makes his first followup stab start mashing attack.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

i am having a ton of trouble pulling off the Million Stab for some reason

i just end up spamming Stinger over and over again and looking terribly uncool

I think you need to let go of the left stick for it to come out.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Spermando posted:

Am I doing something wrong or do the last few bosses in Son of Sparda have crazy amounts of health? I can't beat Nightmare because I only do chip damage to it

I think the intended way to do that fight is to pound on griffin and shadow and kill them because it drains nightmares health to revive them

So the more I play the game, the more I cool off on V. The concept is neat and I liked him initially, but over time it just feels like his skill set is kind of anemic and he doesn't gain any significant depth like Nero does unlocking his breakers and abilities or like Dante does as he gains weapons and levels his styles. I wish he had something else, if he could slot in and swap summons I think there could be some more to him, but as is I kind of dread his missions come up.

Really, I considering my opinion on him in dmc4 (which wasn't good), I think Nero is honestly the one I have the most fun with in this game. I think the smaller weapon set works to his advantage here when he's got the breakers to add variety on top of his new red queen moves. Having the killer bee style dive kicky thing adds a lot of texture and a way to have a bit more mobility that's not tied to wire pulling guys.

Dante has been fine, but I feel like my focus kind of collapses under the sheer weight of moves and things he can do at a moments notice, especially after the second act when they completely retool how swordmaster interacts with his sword in a way that really threw me for a loop. Granted, dual wield Kalina Anns is rad as gently caress and I feel like I wound up spending way more time in gunslinger in 5 than I did 4.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I never thought Nero was boring in the missions I had with him mainly because of exceed and his many sword combos + the devil breakers you could use. He's def more fun to play in 5 than 4 but that's just because the overall wider arenas and camera controls make him feel better to fight with. If anything, playing with Dante makes me miss the grappling hook to pull enemies to me, though Dante's chief way of following up for me is just Trickster's loadout.

The abyssal knight fight with Dante is so goddamn great. Next time I'll have to try it with Royalguard but for my first time I was just hotswapping the other 3 styles in a cycle and going offensive as gently caress. I only just got Cavaliere but even now the sheer amount of styles and weapons is just loving great. I think this might actually blow Revengeance and Bayonetta 2 out of the water for me so far; the sheer technical side to the combat for at least Nero and Dante kind of makes Bayonetta look more button-mashy, even if it really isn't. V's not either but I do think you can take it easy a little more with him and it seems easier to get SS ranks with him too.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

K8.0 posted:

Press forward, hold attack, INSTANTLY release the stick, and then when Dante makes his first followup stab start mashing attack.

thanks, that's a surprisingly complex input

i am getting my rear end chewed to a bloody rag in his first stage trying to get the hang of royal guard

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

DeathSandwich posted:

I think the intended way to do that fight is to pound on griffin and shadow and kill them because it drains nightmares health to revive them

The fight got a whole lot easier when I realised all three of them are weak to the Kalina Ann. Just three or four shots put Shadow and Griffon in stalemate

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Spermando posted:

The fight got a whole lot easier when I realised all three of them are weak to the Kalina Ann. Just three or four shots put Shadow and Griffon in stalemate

I felt very sad about that fight nooo danny devito bird i didn't want you to die come get a face turn and be nico's pet or something

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I can't wait until Bloody Palace goes live because I'm too dumb to learn the intricacies of this game by reading and only adapt by killing the same thing thousands and thousands of times.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I'm sad that DMD is closer to what it was in 3 than in 4. Every wave has a couple of mobs with absurd amounts of health.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Spermando posted:

Furthermore, you know those vines you can destroy in the leadup to the fight? Nightmare is able to recover its health from the purple pools that are there and each vine knocks out one. I think if you get them all then there's only one. If not he can do it 4 or 5 more times.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Spermando posted:

Pretty much everything is weak to it. There's a way to get doubleshots when jumping or landing but I can't do it consistently.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Just beat it, but I don't think I'm going to play much more of it. I think based on what everyone else is saying it's a good game, but this one didn't click for me. I actually thought V's gameplay was a fun experiment.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

As Dante, how do you deal with Stinger pushing enemies away? Nero can use his wire to quickly close the distance, but with Dante I find myself constantly a hairsbreadth out of melee range. I can just walk forward after the stinger, or spam it until they're trapped in a corner, but there must be a better way to close in that I'm missing.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Trickster level 3, R1+forward+circle.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
Nero has like fuckin infinite buttons to press god drat

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Omi no Kami posted:

As Dante, how do you deal with Stinger pushing enemies away? Nero can use his wire to quickly close the distance, but with Dante I find myself constantly a hairsbreadth out of melee range. I can just walk forward after the stinger, or spam it until they're trapped in a corner, but there must be a better way to close in that I'm missing.

Spermando posted:

Trickster level 3, R1+forward+circle.

Also there's a skill with the Faust hat that'll make all enemies that you put a hat on come towards you when you hit X/Square when you catch it. That's what I started using all the time.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Omi no Kami posted:

Don't just stinger, release the stick and hold the button to start million stab, which is cancellable into any number of things like high time or propeller or any sort of command normal or style input on a switched weapon.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I pulled up along somebody at a red light today blasting Devil Trigger at full volume today, so that was cool

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The mission 17 boss is really freaking cool

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the reveal about V's name is the most obvious loving thing but it's great, as was the loving corny wordplay about Urizen's name.

Between naming your character V and having a protagonist missing an arm who gets a rocket fist, Itsuno must have been a fan of MGSV

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Don't just stinger, release the stick and hold the button to start million stab, which is cancellable into any number of things like high time or propeller or any sort of command normal or style input on a switched weapon.

...so holy crap, that's what million stabs is for! It never clicked for me that it actually hits what you stinger, so I'd been skipping it under the assumption that the knockback put them out of my range.

Also, I had no idea that the faust hat actively bought you aggro, that's borderline game-changing... I figured it was just a nice source of passive revenue if you were decent with your situational awareness and dodge timing.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Not sure I like this game. I only played The Ninja Theory game in the series before this one, and after reinstalling that this afternoon, I’m having a lot more fun with that one.

The combat in DmC is simpler than 5, but it feels like it all hangs together a bit better. During combat the first character you play as feels very slow one moment and then way too fast the next. It’s like it’s all been tuned to emulate an old combat system from a time gone by and it just feels pretty poor by today’s standards. It’s overly technical in the wrong ways, and it makes combos look like janky exploits rather than fluid movement. I’m sure it probably does a great job of bringing back the feel of the old DMC games, but to a newcomer it feels off.

Also the camera sucks, and is a real step back from the pretty good one from DmC.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Gunder posted:

Not sure I like this game. I only played The Ninja Theory game in the series before this one, and after reinstalling that this afternoon, I’m having a lot more fun with that one.

The combat in DmC is simpler than 5, but it feels like it all hangs together a bit better. During combat the first character you play as feels very slow one moment and then way too fast the next. It’s like it’s all been tuned to emulate an old combat system from a time gone by and it just feels pretty poor by today’s standards. It’s overly technical in the wrong ways, and it makes combos look like janky exploits rather than fluid movement. I’m sure it probably does a great job of bringing back the feel of the old DMC games, but to a newcomer it feels off.

Also the camera sucks, and is a real step back from the pretty good one from DmC.

Source your quotes.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Gunder posted:

:chloe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Gunder posted:

Im gonna kick ur rear end