Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

fist4jesus posted:

Yup and then terrible real media/video episodes in 97?

Oh wow, I distinctly remember the teachers bringing us all together around 97-98 just to tell us not to watch that awful new show called South Park.

It was the first time most of us heard of it and, well, Barbra Streisand effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ijii posted:

Clark probably didn't have a person willing to take over B5 at the time that knew he was going to murder hundreds of people, including Santiago. So he probably thought the one and only guy who lead the only victory against Minbar was the best choice. Someone who he thought would butt heads against major alien influences and bow down to the human Earth Gov.

It didn't take Sheridan long to realize Clark was a piece of poo poo. I think the first hint was Garibaldi uncovering the conspiracy of Clark being behind the assassination of Santiago after coming out of a coma. Also quite a coincidence that all communication frequencies were jammed right as the assassination took place. Also there was the episode where Garibaldi remembered who shot in him in the back thanks to Talia. The guy who shot Garibaldi in the back was sent to the brig. Then Clark personally told the B5 to hand him and the evidence over to Earth Gov officials so they can "investigate" about this guy knowing the conspiracy of Santiago's assassination. The guy who shot Garibaldi in the back told Sheridan that he's messing with stuff far bigger than him, then did the Psi Corp salute as he was sent off. When he was sent off, he was transferred to an unregistered Earth Gov ship. So now B5 lost some evidence of the conspiracy. His good bud Hague also discussed how poo poo's going down in Earth Gov.

I know Babylon 5 drops nuggets of information here and there so it's hard to remember when and where bits of info are dropped, but I think at this point Sheridan thinks something is wrong but hasn't gone against Clark and Earth Gov. At this point he's been keeping a close eye on stuff.

Minor correction: it wasn't the Psi-Corps salute. Jack gives the same "Be seeing you" wave that Bester gives to Garibaldi at the end of Mind War, to reinforce the idea that Psi-Corps are involved in the conspiracy. That line and gesture were taken from The Prisoner, where it's the traditional farewell in the Village.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh wow, I distinctly remember the teachers bringing us all together around 97-98 just to tell us not to watch that awful new show called South Park.

It was the first time most of us heard of it and, well, Barbra Streisand effect.

https://www.wired.com/1997/10/south-park-webcasters-told-to-stop/

Yeah it was brilliant and there was literally no other way to watch it for us foreign types...well us poors anyway.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

fist4jesus posted:

https://www.wired.com/1997/10/south-park-webcasters-told-to-stop/

Yeah it was brilliant and there was literally no other way to watch it for us foreign types...well us poors anyway.

Oh no, it was airing on Australian TV back then on SBS. All they basically did was tell about 30-40 sweet innocent children NOT to watch this cool sounding and totally wrong show that aired at THIS time on THIS channel. :can:

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh no, it was airing on Australian TV back then on SBS. All they basically did was tell about 30-40 sweet innocent children NOT to watch this cool sounding and totally wrong show that aired at THIS time on THIS channel. :can:

Ok withdrawn. That said, no sbs and most of the time no tv where I was living at the time.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

Minor correction: it wasn't the Psi-Corps salute. Jack gives the same "Be seeing you" wave that Bester gives to Garibaldi at the end of Mind War, to reinforce the idea that Psi-Corps are involved in the conspiracy. That line and gesture were taken from The Prisoner, where it's the traditional farewell in the Village.

That and finding out that Bester's first name is Al are my favourite wink and nod moments from the show.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Before I go on, am I even doing anything positive in putting spoilers on? I feel kind of silly.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

We get enough people coming to the show for the first time that I think it's the decent thing to do.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Doctor Zero posted:

It’s ironic hyperbole or something.

Ty. It is kind of amazing he can do anything to do with video manipulation though.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I'm curating a goon friend through b5, we've done s1 and she loves it, what are the picks of key eps for season 2? We've seen the first episode and been a little sad about Sinclair going.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

wtf, if she loves it just watch it all. Jeez.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

wtf, if she loves it just watch it all. Jeez.

:yeah:

I sampled a few episodes from Season 1 but Season 2 I started and I just can't stop going through it in order. I don't think there are really episodes you'd like to miss.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Confirmed ! Season 2 is where you stop skipping episodes.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Never skip episodes. They are all good.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Meanwhile I just got to Grey 17 is missing on my rewatch. Thankfully Neroon is part of the B plot to help me get through this.

(I honestly think Late Delivery from Avalon is worse)

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

sebmojo posted:

I'm curating a goon friend through b5, we've done s1 and she loves it, what are the picks of key eps for season 2? We've seen the first episode and been a little sad about Sinclair going.

Skipping around on S1 is acceptable. S2 onward, pretty much isn't. There's too much stuff intertwined in there.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Doctor Zero posted:

Skipping around on S1 is acceptable. S2 onward, pretty much isn't. There's too much stuff intertwined in there.

hmmmm. To be clear, I've seen it all before, and i don't disagree but our time watching is limited. I will have a look at the ep list. I think we can live without Gropos though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

sebmojo posted:

hmmmm. To be clear, I've seen it all before, and i don't disagree but our time watching is limited. I will have a look at the ep list. I think we can live without Gropos though.

Nope. That introduces the new defense grid and has some backstory for Franklin

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

sebmojo posted:

Hmm. Well, I've used this in the past as a reference to the bare minimum plot, (mostly for looking up in the script books) maybe this will help?

https://www.geek.com/geek-cetera/babylon-5-condensed-how-to-watch-sci-fis-most-intimidating-masterpiece-1613627/

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Doctor Zero posted:

Hmm. Well, I've used this in the past as a reference to the bare minimum plot, (mostly for looking up in the script books) maybe this will help?

https://www.geek.com/geek-cetera/babylon-5-condensed-how-to-watch-sci-fis-most-intimidating-masterpiece-1613627/

God no. Past the first season you should be watching every episode because there's always something relevant.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
yes there will be an exam at the end of season two so no speed-reading :eng101:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Doctor Zero posted:

There are a few weak episodes, but never without at least one great moment that makes it worth it. Going through the episode list even ones with a weak A plot have a stellar B plot, like Knives. All Alone in the Night has the goofy "secret abduction, team up with a rival" but some absolutely crucial development for the Minbari.

I'll say there many things from S1 that never come back in a meaningful way (TKO), but S2 is where literally everything starts getting linked in minor ways, like when the Exploration ship gets lost there's a breadcrumb that leads to major plot stuff.

Is there a single S2 episode that doesn't foreshadow something major or relatively significant?

pentyne fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Mar 11, 2019

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

pentyne posted:

There are a few weak episodes, but never without at least one great moment that makes it worth it. Going through the episode list even ones with a weak A plot have a stellar B plot, like Knives. All Alone in the Night has the goofy "secret abduction, team up with a rival" but some absolutely crucial development for the Minbari.

I'll say there many things from S1 that never come back in a meaningful way (TKO), but S2 is where literally everything starts getting linked in minor ways, like when the Exploration ship gets lost there's a breadcrumb that leads to major plot stuff.

Is there a single S2 episode that doesn't foreshadow something major or relatively significant?

I am just about to watch Knives and I have yet to encounter an episode that could be utterly removed without a significant loss. Soul Mates, perhaps?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I am just about to watch Knives and I have yet to encounter an episode that could be utterly removed without a significant loss. Soul Mates, perhaps?

I don't think any episode with Londo as the main character could ever be removed.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

pentyne posted:

I don't think any episode with Londo as the main character could ever be removed.

What do we learn about him there that's unique to that episode?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Learn, schmearn, if you're not enjoying every second Peter Jurasik is on screen then why are you even watching the show.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Soul Mates is comedy gold, but it also has some subtle foreshadowing in it. Londo refers to his three wives as Famine, Pestilence and Death. Who do you think is War?

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
Not that anything should be skipped from Season 2 onwards, but I'm wondering what would be lost were you to skip A Distant Star or The Long Dark (or is it The Long Night?) Maybe GROPOS as well...

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002
Why would anyone skip around?
Its not like they are making more content.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Relaying the latest post on the guy's Facebook group:

One of the replies says there've been some recent executive retirements/resignations at WB. Is it too early to post itshappening.gif?

Argh. He's thinking about this all wrong. More than likely, it was flagged because it looks like footage from a B5 episode. Some low-level person at WB glances at it, thinks it's footage from an episode of B5, and throws it on the pile labelled "monetise with ads", along with the other 20 new B5 vids that were flagged this week.

What is not happening:
WB intern *sees flagging report*: Ah yes, this matches with stuff in our archive. Wait...
*looks more closely*
WB intern: Hmm, this looks very high quality... and the description... rendered from the original source files, you say? Wow. I know exactly what that means. Screw my coffee break, I need to get the top brass to look at this.
*reaches for red telephone*
WB overlord *answering*: This had better be good.
WB intern: Yes, hi sir. I know, you said this phone was to be used for emergencies, but this is important.
WB overlord: Okay son, give it to me from the top.
WB intern: Yes sir. Okay, so as everyone here in the legal department knows, the original source files for the Babylon 5 CGI were thought lost, making high definition renders impossible.
WB overlord: Get to the point, son. Every single employee at WB has been briefed on the circumstances of Babylon 5's CGI. We all sat through the Lightwave 5.6 orientation classes, just in case this day ever came. In fact, my refresher is due next week, I hope you're up to date?
WB intern: Of course sir, I know how important this is.
WB overlord: Good work, son. Okay, go on.
WB intern: Well, it looks like someone's got the source files. I've just had a video content-flagged. What do I do?
WB overlord: *chuckles softly* They did it. They actually did it.
WB intern: They're taking a huge risk, aren't they sir? The full force of the WB legal department could come down on them for having our copyrighted materials. They must know we've been keeping watch for these files for 20 years.
WB overlord: Maybe they're testing our response. Hoping to catch a break...
*pause*
WB overlord: Let it through.
WB intern *shocked*: Sir?
WB overlord: I think it's time, don't you? Let's send a signal, but one that could be easily misinterpreted as either a conscious decision on our part, or a careless approval by someone who didn't look very closely or understand what any of this means.
WB intern: Classic move, sir. Nothing could telegraph our intentions more clearly.
WB overlord: Good work, today son. Maybe at last, we'll get that B5 HD remaster that the entire company has been waiting for.

Dirty fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Mar 11, 2019

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Dirty posted:

Argh. He's thinking about this all wrong. More than likely, it was content ID flagged because it looks like footage from a B5 episode. Some low-level person at WB glances at it, thinks it's footage from an episode of B5, and throws it on the pile labelled "monetise with ads", along with the other 20 new B5 vids that were flagged this week.

What is not happening:
WB intern *sees flagging report*: Ah yes, this matches with stuff in our archive. Wait...
*looks more closely*
WB intern: Hmm, this looks very high quality... and the description... rendered from the original source files, you say? Wow. I know exactly what that means. Screw my coffee break, I need to get the top brass to look at this.
*reaches for red telephone*
WB overlord *answering*: This had better be good.
WB intern: Yes, hi sir. I know, you said this phone was to be used for emergencies, but this is important.
WB overlord: Okay son, give it to me from the top.
WB intern: Yes sir. Okay, so as everyone here in the legal department knows, the original source files for the Babylon 5 CGI were thought lost, making high definition renders impossible.
WB overlord: Get to the point, son. Every single employee at WB has been briefed on the circumstances of Babylon 5's CGI. We all sat through the Lightwave 5.6 orientation classes, just in case this day ever came. In fact, my refresher is due next week, I hope you're up to date?
WB intern: Of course sir, I know how important this is.
WB overlord: Good work, son. Okay, go on.
WB intern: Well, it looks like someone's got the source files. I've just had a video content-flagged. What do I do?
WB overlord: *chuckles softly* They did it. They actually did it.
WB intern: They're taking a huge risk, aren't they sir? The full force of the WB legal department could come down on them for having our copyrighted materials. They must know we've been keeping watch for these files for 20 years.
WB overlord: Maybe they're testing our response. Hoping to catch a break...
*pause*
WB overlord: Let it through.
WB intern *shocked*: Sir?
WB overlord: I think it's time, don't you? Let's send a signal, but one that could be easily misinterpreted as either a conscious decision on our part, or a careless approval by someone who didn't look very closely or understand what any of this means.
WB intern: Classic move, sir. Nothing could telegraph our intentions more clearly.
WB overlord: Good work, today son. Maybe at last, we'll get that B5 HD remaster that the entire company has been waiting for.

This is so dumb (and great), it could just be true.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
That list trims out way too much. Like, it trims out Shadow Dancing and Comes the Inquisitor! There's trimming out nothing but the vital episodes, and then there's trimming to the vit

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

quote:

Babylon 5 is the Gravity’s Rainbow of sci-fi television: it’s really long, some of it is widely acknowledged to suck

You should know just from the first line in that article that the author has no loving clue what he's talking about

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Torrannor posted:

This is so dumb (and great), it could just be true.

I'm willing to believe just about anything in regards to this show's behind the scenes drama, at this point.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

That list trims out way too much. Like, it trims out Shadow Dancing and Comes the Inquisitor! There's trimming out nothing but the vital episodes, and then there's trimming to the vit

It cuts out Confessions and Lamentations! It cuts out Divided Loyalties!!!! (Comes the Inquisitor is in the supplementary list, as is DL, but the episode number is typoed)

It cuts out Passing Through Gethsemane, which is probably one of the best episodes that television sci fi has ever done

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Just skip straight to Sleeping in Light, the other episodes are just filler.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

Angry Salami posted:

Just skip straight to Sleeping in Light, the other episodes are just filler.

I really don't get it. If you people are so concerned about wasting time, don't watch it , or anything at all.
Hell just read a episode guide, save even more.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

You guys are going bonkers. There’s no “you people”. Nobody is advocating skipping great episodes. I specifically said don’t skip anything after S2 begins. sbmojo asked about recommendations for “must watch” episodes. IMO that article cuts the story down to the bare minimum. I wasn’t advocating it, I’m not saying the author is on to something. I’m just pointing out that if you really have to pare the series down to the bone I’ve used that before.

Sheesh

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
While it's true that if you cut out parts of the story you're missing out, it's also true that if you don't watch it you miss more. So it can take a while to get someone hooked, and it may be better to run someone through a condensed version of the core story until they get hooked and have the desire to slog through the less core stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST
I decided to start reading the original novels based on the series, just out of curiosity as it was a part of the franchise I hadn't previously engaged with. For better or worse I started with the first one, "Voices" by John Vornholdt, and, well...huh.

For the most part it feels "off" in a way that a lot of tie-in novels based on shows are when the person writing it doesn't really know a lot about the show or characters. B5 as a setting is hardly used, which is a bit odd considering this is the first book in a series based on a series set on a goddamn space station, in space. instead, the story largely concerns Talia Winters being framed as a terrorist(!) and having to go on the run from Psi-Corp on Earth, so most of the story takes place there and on Mars.

We find out Talia has an Uncle on Mars called Ted who's some sort of revolutionary-dissident. The story is full of elements like this that feels thrown in but don't really connect to anything else or have a payoff. There's also a long drawn out diversion in the middle where Talia escapes captivity with this guy and hangs out at a hippy commune in the desert for a while, before both of these story points are dropped and never referred to again.

I did think it was funny that Bester uses a lot of British idioms, e.g. "Not bloody likely!" as if the writer wasn't sure where he was supposed to be from and just assumed evil dude = English.

There was one amazing part which made me stop reading out of sheer disbelief. It's when Talia is on a shuttle in disguise on Mars. Garibaldi is there as well looking for her and he is able to identify who she is...by checking out her rear end. Not making this up, this is the actual text from the book:

quote:

You pig, quit staring at her, he told himself. But the woman had almost struggled to the end of her row and was about to hit the aisle, so he thought he would hold on to catch her rear action. Garibaldi wasn't disappointed - it was the finest can he had seen in a long time. In fact, it was reminiscent. He sat up in his seat and stared at the woman's buttocks as she sauntered away from him. Then he gripped Gray's arm.
"Wake up!" he whispered. "Wake up!"
"What is it? What is it?" mumbled Gray.
He bent so close to Gray that it probably looked as if he was kissing him. "She's here on this transport with us," he whispered, "Talia."
"You saw her? You made positive identification?"
"Well," admitted Garibaldi, "all I saw was her rear end, but that's enough."
Gray wrinkled his nose. "Really, Garibaldi, that is disgusting! You see a woman's rear end, and you fantasize that you can identify Ms. Winters from her rear end? I hadn't realized you were such close associates."
"Trust me," claimed Garibaldi, "I have been watching that can very closely for the past year, and I know it by heart. But I want you to verify the ID - we'll be able to see her face when she comes back."

Almost tempted to tweet JMS to ask if Garibaldi's rear end-recognition powers are canon.