Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

The Bananana posted:

Need a few answers fast, please..

Ive salted a steak and I'm letting it rest and sweat before I cook it.

1st, is it true that ground black pepper on a steak before you sear it will burn the pepper and release a bitter flavor from the pepper?

yup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
And it will create more smoke.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

SubG posted:

Kikkoman is okay, but when I'm knocking together Japanese fast food I think Yamasa is the thing that's easily available that most resembles the abstract idea of Japanese food stall soy in my head.

Agree on Yamasa as good general use Japanese soy sauce. Kikkoman is too salty.

Squashy Nipples posted:

Yeah, I buy Yamasa by the liter, it's my go to general purpose soy sauce. For Mirin though, I like the Kikkoman. I always have both on hand, but I have to admit that I haven't tried everything available in the Japanese aisle at Kam Man. I'll get some WJS next time.

As far as I know Kikkoman doesn't sell actual mirin in the US, only aji mirin which is fake trash. Eden Foods makes an actual proper mirin. It's pricier but not imported Japanese pricy. Do a taste test and then throw your Kikkoman away.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five
Can anyone recommend a glass pitcher with a decently sealing lid that can handle hot liquids?

I'm looking for something in the 2L/2qt to 4L/1gal range where I could pour hot tea directly into it and then put it in the fridge without having to pour it over ice.

My current solution is a half-gallon mason jar but that has a tendency to spill when pouring if it's anywhere near full, since there's no spout.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Why are you putting boiling hot liquids into your fridge, you monster.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

dino. posted:

Why are you putting boiling hot liquids into your fridge, you monster.

I'm not putting boiling hot liquids in my fridge. I'm making green tea, which I steep in water at 150F, and I let it sit on my counter for a bit before it goes in my fridge.

I try to cool it relatively quickly so it doesn't oxidize needlessly. :colbert:

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

poeticoddity posted:

I'm not putting boiling hot liquids in my fridge. I'm making green tea, which I steep in water at 150F, and I let it sit on my counter for a bit before it goes in my fridge.

I try to cool it relatively quickly so it doesn't oxidize needlessly. :colbert:

OK OK, maybe not boiling hot, but still hot!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MS42JVX/

Would that work? Or does it need to /seal/ seal like a mason jar?

EDIT:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G38XJWR/

That one seems to seal.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I find the best way to cool things rapidly is actually to put your jug into the sink with a load of cold water around it: putting it hot/warm straight in the fridge is going to gently caress your fridge, and doesn’t actually cook stuff down very fast...

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

Scientastic posted:

I find the best way to cool things rapidly is actually to put your jug into the sink with a load of cold water around it: putting it hot/warm straight in the fridge is going to gently caress your fridge, and doesn’t actually cook stuff down very fast...

Do you know of a glass container where having hot liquid on the interior and cold liquid on the exterior won't cause it to fracture?
That's probably the best approach (I've done similar with an ice bath to cool sauces and gravies before putting them in the fridge), but I'm guessing that'd require steel or some other material.

dino. posted:

OK OK, maybe not boiling hot, but still hot!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MS42JVX/

Would that work? Or does it need to /seal/ seal like a mason jar?

EDIT:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G38XJWR/

That one seems to seal.

Apparently the longevity on the first one is bad enough to lead to some 5-star to 1-star conversions and the second one appears to have a sealing lid but an open spout which kinda defeats the purpose of the sealing lid.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I've tried to make a glass shatter for a science demo and it was remarkably hard, but that was with a glass lemonade bottle which had decent thickness. Took boiling water and an ice bath. 150°F inside in a groundwater temp bath won't do anything to a decent container, so I'd go for a higher-quality container bought in person where you can inspect it instead of one bought online where returning is a bigger hassle. I'd also go for something not technically airtight and add a plastic wrap cap.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

What do y'all do with gnocchi? I've just tried it for the first time and while it's a simple thing it lacks any kind of pleasurable texture at all, it's like eating soft rubber.

Do you sear it before serving or something?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

With pork ragu and garlic bread crumbs. As long as something else in the dish has texture, potato clouds are welcome!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

sterster posted:

^ The only thing that I can think of is an english dish known as Trifle. It's usually fruit in gelatin layered with custards or creams and whipped topping.

Yeah, that or Parfait

Jaded Burnout posted:

What do y'all do with gnocchi? I've just tried it for the first time and while it's a simple thing it lacks any kind of pleasurable texture at all, it's like eating soft rubber.

Do you sear it before serving or something?

Deep fry it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkXy12xVnRs

Nothing quite as delicious as the laughter of a man who has narrowly escaped massive deep fat frying burns

DONT ACTUALLY DEEP FRY THEM

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Mar 10, 2019

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Suspect Bucket posted:

Yeah, that or Parfait

Deep fry it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkXy12xVnRs

Nothing quite as delicious as the laughter of a man who has narrowly escaped massive deep fat frying burns

DONT ACTUALLY DEEP FRY THEM

e; f,b

BrianBoitano posted:

I've tried to make a glass shatter for a science demo and it was remarkably hard, but that was with a glass lemonade bottle which had decent thickness. Took boiling water and an ice bath.
I once had a pint glass shatter into a million pieces from putting it slightly too close to a hob. I also worked in a coffee shop that used those latte glasses and saw more than one go despite not having been made any cooler than ambient temperature. It seems a bit random, in my experience, and not worth the risk.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
I've got myself two whole chickens. I'm going to straight up roast one in a cast iron pan at 425-450F with lemon and garlic to give a traditional roast chicken. The question/recipe/inspiration request is for the other is something other than straight up roasting it (not outright opposed to using roasting as the cooking method, but more interesting that just a second roast chicken).

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Heners_UK posted:

I've got myself two whole chickens. I'm going to straight up roast one in a cast iron pan at 425-450F with lemon and garlic to give a traditional roast chicken. The question/recipe/inspiration request is for the other is something other than straight up roasting it (not outright opposed to using roasting as the cooking method, but more interesting that just a second roast chicken).

I’m pretty sure I saw a chef John video where he poached a chicken whole for soup. Might be good for the last gasp of winter. I’ve also made a Peruvian chicken with a delicious, bright green cilantro pepper sauce, although that’s a roasted preparation.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Two observations from cooking this evening:

1) Truly the mandolin requires a blood sacrifice. I used mine for less then a minute before it pulled in my thumb, stopping only at the nail. No stitches needed. But if I'd angled my thumb just a bit differently, the blade wouldn't have hit my nail and would have gone right through the tip of my finger. Lesson learned: Do not let anything distract you when handling the mandolin.

2) Even a failed effort at mozzarella can be useful. The curds never melted together and wound up like a mozzarella/ricotta mix. I made a great creamy/cheesy tomato sauce layered with mandolin-sliced eggplant, zucchini, and tomato. Probably a few drops of blood, too, but I'm the only eating it.

So....don't be afraid to make mozzarella, and be very afraid when using the mandolin.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question but whatever. In general, would I have any luck emailing non-chain restaurants and asking for nutritional information, specifically sugar/carb levels? I don't know if that's something that they'd even keep track of if they don't have to, but I'm trying to plan a dinner for a diabetic person and that info would make it a lot easier.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Magissima posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question but whatever. In general, would I have any luck emailing non-chain restaurants and asking for nutritional information, specifically sugar/carb levels? I don't know if that's something that they'd even keep track of if they don't have to, but I'm trying to plan a dinner for a diabetic person and that info would make it a lot easier.

It’s possible if you gave them enough notice that they could make something suitable for your friend if their regular food isn’t right for them.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Magissima posted:

Honestly, just email/call a couple days ahead, and ask if they can make something that’s “free” for that person to eat.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Heners_UK posted:

debone and stuff it

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Heners_UK posted:

Have you met our Lord and savior, sous vide?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Agree on Yamasa as good general use Japanese soy sauce. Kikkoman is too salty.

As far as I know Kikkoman doesn't sell actual mirin in the US, only aji mirin which is fake trash. Eden Foods makes an actual proper mirin. It's pricier but not imported Japanese pricy. Do a taste test and then throw your Kikkoman away.

Did not know this, had to google up info.

I don't know any Japanese, so I often just wander around the aisle and pick stuff. I'm sure that I wouldn't have recognized the good stuff.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Planning to roast a chicken on Sunday, I put a 5 lb frozen bird in the fridge on Friday to defrost. My whole family got sick over the weekend, and now my plans are hosed. Can I put the now-defrosted chicken back in the freezer?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Ehhhhhhhhhhhh

It's prob borderline for food safety, but frozen, thawed, and back to frozen is gonna gently caress with the quality of that meat pretty bad.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Casu Marzu posted:

Ehhhhhhhhhhhh

It's prob borderline for food safety, but frozen, thawed, and back to frozen is gonna gently caress with the quality of that meat pretty bad.

At least it was on sales :(

Thanks. I may salvage it by turning it into stock but there's no way I can cook it properly tonight.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

If you thawed it in the fridge, and it’s been below 4C the entire time, it’s fine to freeze again.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Scientastic posted:

If you thawed it in the fridge, and it’s been below 4C the entire time, it’s fine to freeze again.

I don't know my fridge's temperature, but we haven't lost power or anything.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

me your dad posted:

Thanks. I may salvage it by turning it into stock but there's no way I can cook it properly tonight.

If you're gonna do this, poach the whole drat thing, shred the meat off for sandwiches, tacos, salads, whatever and then return the rest of the carcass to the pot ro finish making stock

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Magissima posted:

The Carbs and Cals app is a fantastic resource for this sort of thing, if your friend is looking for carb info more generally when eating out. It really helps as a guide when eyeballing food you've not cooked/weighed yourself.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

me your dad posted:

Do this: https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/dakjuk

Super low effort and tasty sick food. Also you can use the bones again for stock, you won't get all the flavor out of them with this.

Squashy Nipples posted:

Did not know this, had to google up info.

I don't know any Japanese, so I often just wander around the aisle and pick stuff. I'm sure that I wouldn't have recognized the good stuff.

Finding good Japanese ingredients is tough unless you have a proper Japanese supermarket, fortunately the pantry staples like mirin are all fermented/dried so you can just buy it all online. I actually only learned about aji mirin recently, when I lived in Asia I never even saw it but it's the only thing I ever see in stores in the US. I can vouch for the Eden Foods traditional mirin being quite good. It's a lot more expensive but it's worth it, so much of Japanese food is that dashi/sake/mirin/soy sauce mix and if you cheap out on any of the four it shows. Not a lot of strong flavors to hide cheap ingredients under.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I’m doing a chuck roast braise in an instant pot on slow cooker setting. I don’t think it’s quite done for dinner.

Can I pressure it cook it for a bit to help it along or am I going to over cook it?

Collagen is a fickle beast.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

me your dad posted:

Planning to roast a chicken on Sunday, I put a 5 lb frozen bird in the fridge on Friday to defrost. My whole family got sick over the weekend, and now my plans are hosed. Can I put the now-defrosted chicken back in the freezer?

As I ended up doing with my second chicken, just roast it. It can be done in an hour with some methods.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

A friend has offered to cook me dinner. I was thinking something simple, like a chicken and pasta dish? Does anyone have anything that's foolproof, simple and not a huge ballache to make? They're adamant on cooking me food, so I want to at least make it so their job is as easy as possible with minimal stress. Preferably as few ingredients as possible because I don't want them traipsing around the city hunting down really obscure ingredients and lugging it back home.

- Penne with chicken and pesto
- Pesto pasta with chicken
- Garlic and chicken with pasta
- Chicken alfredo?

Any other recommendations would be appreciated. They're not a fan of beef, and they like fish but I've offered to cook fish for us next time. So chicken seems to be the safest bet.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Generally, when someone offers to cook you dinner, you let them choose what you’re having...

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Scientastic posted:

Generally, when someone offers to cook you dinner, you let them choose what you’re having...

They explicitly told me to pick what I want. I asked her to choose whatever she's most comfortable with but she won't budge.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Chicken Carbonara, chicken cordon bleu, fried chicken and waffles, chicken florentine, curry, kung pao chicken I mean there is an endless list of delicious bird based meals.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Qubee posted:

They explicitly told me to pick what I want. I asked her to choose whatever she's most comfortable with but she won't budge.

Fair enough: is this someone you are trying to get into bed?

If it’s just a buddy, I’d go for chicken fajitas: delicious, fun to make, fun to eat, hard to gently caress up.

If you are trying to romance the poor girl, we need to know more. What stage is the relationship at? Have you eaten in front of her before? Do you need to not smell of garlic once dinner is over?

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

sterster posted:

Chicken Carbonara, chicken cordon bleu, fried chicken and waffles, chicken florentine, curry, kung pao chicken I mean there is an endless list of delicious bird based meals.

Chicken Parmesan. No exotic ingredients, two completely separable primary cooking methods that are forgiving as long as you don't overboil the pasta or burn the chicken, and then they go into an oven together which means everything finishes at the same time even if the previous steps were off-sync and required a rest period for one part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

sterster posted:

Chicken Carbonara

winner winner chicken dinner (literally). kung pao chicken is also a contender because rice has always been really filling for me and it's delicious.

Scientastic posted:

Fair enough: is this someone you are trying to get into bed?

If it’s just a buddy, I’d go for chicken fajitas: delicious, fun to make, fun to eat, hard to gently caress up.

If you are trying to romance the poor girl, we need to know more. What stage is the relationship at? Have you eaten in front of her before? Do you need to not smell of garlic once dinner is over?

I didn't clarify cause I was just hoping for a quick recipe, but the amount of thought you've put into the advice you'd give is nice (and appreciated). we've been dating for a few weeks but have a couple of years of friendship as a foundation. I've cooked for her a bunch of times, mainly middle eastern dishes, so I think at this point we're past the garlic fearing stage (one of my country's famous sauces is something called daqoos, which is basically tomatoes and a poo poo tonne of garlic, that singlehandedly jumped us right past the shy eating stage). she's forcing me to pick because she wants to make sure I enjoy it, rather than her surprising me and me not liking it.

fajitas is a fantastic idea, but I'm going to save that for when we cook together, cause it seems like it'd be tonnes of fun having everything spread out and we make our own. I'm going to give them the two options sterster gave, with ingredient lists so they can pick which they prefer. any more suggestions would be welcome.

poeticoddity posted:

Chicken Parmesan.

yoinking this and making it with panko breadcrumbs and will save it for a rainy day dinner emergency special.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 12, 2019