Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

MrSargent posted:

I am really excited for this month's shipment. Its the first month I ended up getting all three tracks and then in addition to that I have Barbara Howard and De La Soul is Dead coming.

I’ve been trying to cut back a bit as my spending was quickly spiraling, so I’m pretty happy this month keeping it to three: HBMS, Oriental Jazz, and Barbara Howard. I just could never get into De La Soul, so that’s the only difference between your box and mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Michael Jackson records. The next Bill Cosby thrift store junk or collectors items with "banned from radio and streaming" songs?

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I should probably replace my impossibly-beat-up copy of thriller while i still can, i inherited it from my sister, it’s been kicking around in our family since the early 80s

Alternatively, i can continue to not give a poo poo about it or mj, as i have been happily doing for over 30 years

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I still want a copy of Thriller in good condition.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/stsphonoco/status/1104863346514247680?s=21

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I think younger people are going to dump thier MJ albums but anyone who was around in the 90s has kinda already accepted the pedo claims and can separate it from the music.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Also, how many people were listening to Bill Cosby records lately? Like, is there a market for comedy records from the 60s that isn't something like Lenny Bruce or George Carlin?

As for MJ, I don't know what will happen to his records, and I really don't care, one way or the other. He's dead. I rather focus on protecting people today, and if that means not listening to Beat It because it would be seen as minimizing that acts of a child predator, I have no concerns with that.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

MrSargent posted:

Nah. Either they pressed more than they needed, or didn't sell as many as they thought. This happens sometimes, they can't hit on 100% of their releases, and then they unload some inventory to Amazon. If you tried to wait for their releases to go up on Amazon, you would miss out on most of them.

What I meant was someone (VMP?) is selling a $25 record on amazon for $11 and still making a profit.

Don't get me wrong. I join up every once in a while when they offer up something crazy. AND their pressings and customer service are the best. I just think they are over priced though not as bad as mondo and it bums me out when they offer up a repress that is widely available at a cheaper price.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Also, how many people were listening to Bill Cosby records lately? Like, is there a market for comedy records from the 60s that isn't something like Lenny Bruce or George Carlin?

As for MJ, I don't know what will happen to his records, and I really don't care, one way or the other. He's dead. I rather focus on protecting people today, and if that means not listening to Beat It because it would be seen as minimizing that acts of a child predator, I have no concerns with that.

In my various travels I haven't found comedy records to be big sellers. But I will say that in the last few years I've noticed a lot more Bill Cosby albums dumped at thrift stores and collecting dust in the comedy bins at record stores. But with music it's different, especially someone as monolithic as Michael Jackson. I'm sure all kinds of idiots will be scrambling to buy up his old albums and people will be buying and selling them at absurd prices because everyone suddenly needs to own a thing when they can't (or at least think they can't) have it anymore. And as someone mentioned a lot of his fans are older and more prone to just not giving a poo poo.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Framboise posted:

I still want a copy of Thriller in good condition.

Knock yourself out.

https://www.discogs.com/sell/list?sort=price%2Casc&limit=25&master_id=8883&ev=mb&format=Vinyl

Looks to be about 2500 of them for sale on discogs.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

sporklift posted:

Knock yourself out.

https://www.discogs.com/sell/list?sort=price%2Casc&limit=25&master_id=8883&ev=mb&format=Vinyl

Looks to be about 2500 of them for sale on discogs.

I'm going to laugh so hard if loving Thriller starts selling for premium prices. It's in like the top five highest selling records of all time.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
For what it’s worth, people are asking for ridiculous prices on season three Simpsons dvds when they announced they were pulling the Michael Jackson episode from rotation/streaming/future releases.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Schremp Howard posted:

For what it’s worth, people are asking for ridiculous prices on season three Simpsons dvds when they announced they were pulling the Michael Jackson episode from rotation/streaming/future releases.

I saw. It's not even a good episode and season 3 was mostly garbage with a handful of episodes that are mediocre at best. Still I'd be delighted to sell it to some moron for way more money than it's worth. A month ago people couldn't even give those away. I saw one in sold auctions that went for four dollars. Many more sold for about 14 dollars with one or two other seasons. People are loving stupid.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

sporklift posted:

What I meant was someone (VMP?) is selling a $25 record on amazon for $11 and still making a profit.

Don't get me wrong. I join up every once in a while when they offer up something crazy. AND their pressings and customer service are the best. I just think they are over priced though not as bad as mondo and it bums me out when they offer up a repress that is widely available at a cheaper price.

If you have unsold inventory that people don’t want to pay $25 for, it’s the difference between selling it for $0 and selling it for $11. They’re liquidating unsold inventory. They probably don’t have infinite warehouse space.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

sporklift posted:

I think you are missing what I am saying. There are some VMP releases that don't sell out and they are left with inventory sitting around. They likely sell off extra stock to Amazon at a greatly reduced price and may even take a hit to just recoup as much as they can. So someone making a profit selling it at $11 likely bought the extra inventory at below cost from VMP.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

MrSargent posted:

I think you are missing what I am saying. There are some VMP releases that don't sell out and they are left with inventory sitting around. They likely sell off extra stock to Amazon at a greatly reduced price and may even take a hit to just recoup as much as they can. So someone making a profit selling it at $11 likely bought the extra inventory at below cost from VMP.

It was a very quick turnaround for the price to tank that much. Other VMP releases on amazon are $35. Also you can still get Nils Frahm from 2015 for full price on the VMP website and I think even older stuff is available as swaps so clearing inventory doesn't seem to be a priority. I'm just pointing out that their product is probably marked up over 100%.

And jesus they need to stop with the stupid stencils and "art".

That Van Morrison is just the image from the cover run through photoshop. This is adds no value.

Anyway. Not trying to poo poo all over them but they definitely contribute to the inflation of the prices.

I was pretty drat stoked to pick up the Sarah Webster Fabio for that cheap.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

sporklift posted:

It was a very quick turnaround for the price to tank that much. Other VMP releases on amazon are $35. Also you can still get Nils Frahm from 2015 for full price on the VMP website and I think even older stuff is available as swaps so clearing inventory doesn't seem to be a priority. I'm just pointing out that their product is probably marked up over 100%.

And jesus they need to stop with the stupid stencils and "art".

Anyway. Not trying to poo poo all over them but they definitely contribute to the inflation of the prices.

It was released in September of last year so its been 6 months since it was released. Within 3 months of a record release, they have a pretty drat good idea of how something is selling. They probably saw that it was selling way less than their average release and made the decision to unload some of that inventory to Amazon. Older stuff is still available in the store, sure, but we don't know what the inventory is like so you can't really read into it the way that you are doing. Its more likely that the old releases you see in the store have under 100 left, as opposed to over 1000.

I really enjoy some of the art pieces I have received. Obviously I don't like everything but its a nice touch. As for the stencils, I have made some awesome t-shirts with them so I actually really like them. The one for HBMS does suck, but this is seriously the first one that won't get a t-shirt from me. The quality of the pressings and the covers are always top-notch and I don't think paying $25 for a double-LP is price-gouging. Its ok if the service isn't your thing, but seems odd to say they are contributing to the inflation of prices when I have seen lovely double-LP represses retail for the same amount.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I saw a copy of VMP Fiona Apple's Tidal sell for 500 dollars on ebay.

They they repressed it a month later.

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012

sporklift posted:

Pressing a record is way cheaper than people build it up to be. A run of 500 LPs in full color jackets costs maybe $2100 before factoring in payment for the artist. Per unit costs goes down if you press 1000, although there's another little spike if you press more than 1000 (plating another stamper, getting more center labels and other bits that don't offer price breaks). A bigger imprint like VMP has staff and a web presence and needs to pay for and all those things, but the manufacturing alone is only as much as 20% of what you're paying for when you're buying a $25 LP. On the other hand there are labels, even big ones, with tighter staffing and more DIY oriented ethos like Goner that can sell something like a 2xLP of Carbonas singles & rarities for only $20 and still make a healthy profit.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
Need some help, getting a new receiver and can't decide between these:
Kenwood Kr-730
Yamaha cr-840
JVC JR-S81W
Technics SA-505
Kenwood KR-4070
Sansui G-3000

I am using a Technics SL-D2 going to 2 70's klipsch studio monitors. Really looking for good sound is about it. I posted in the vintage thread as well but that one is kind of slow.

Want to listen to my new KLF records on something awesome.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

CPL593H posted:

I saw a copy of VMP Fiona Apple's Tidal sell for 500 dollars on ebay.

They they repressed it a month later.

I read on their forums that starting this year, they will no longer re-press ROTMs once they are sold out.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

sporklift posted:

That Van Morrison is just the image from the cover run through photoshop. This is adds no value.

I kinda like this in an Another Green World sort of way. Not that Eno hasn't used the horrible cutout/stencil filter:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Bread Dragon posted:

Pressing a record is way cheaper than people build it up to be. A run of 500 LPs in full color jackets costs maybe $2100 before factoring in payment for the artist. Per unit costs goes down if you press 1000, although there's another little spike if you press more than 1000 (plating another stamper, getting more center labels and other bits that don't offer price breaks). A bigger imprint like VMP has staff and a web presence and needs to pay for and all those things, but the manufacturing alone is only as much as 20% of what you're paying for when you're buying a $25 LP. On the other hand there are labels, even big ones, with tighter staffing and more DIY oriented ethos like Goner that can sell something like a 2xLP of Carbonas singles & rarities for only $20 and still make a healthy profit.

I would think that royalty and licensing poo poo can be expensive sometimes. And is that 2100 price tag including mastering/remastering and cutting?

MrSargent posted:

I read on their forums that starting this year, they will no longer re-press ROTMs once they are sold out.

Even if that had been the case at the time 500 dollars is an insane amount of money for a record. Especially one that had a fairly large pressing.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

CPL593H posted:

I would think that royalty and licensing poo poo can be expensive sometimes. And is that 2100 price tag including mastering/remastering and cutting?

Even if that had been the case at the time 500 dollars is an insane amount of money for a record. Especially one that had a fairly large pressing.

Oh, I totally agree with you. I could never imagine spending that much on a record.

pwn
May 27, 2004

MrSargent posted:

That’s good. Music needs to be made more scarce.

That’s one thing I like about Belle and Sebastian. For twenty years – with a brief exception – they’ve kept their LPs in print, and at reasonable prices.

(Dear Catastrophe Waitress was OoP from about 2004 or 2005 until 2007)

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012

CPL593H posted:

Oh royalty and licensing can for sure be a sticking point as you scale upwards through the talent/fame pool, that's undeniable. But yeah just fwiw the $2100~ I cited includes everything that happens after getting your mix locked to the day you have a bunch of records cluttering up your living room and you're trying to figure out what the hell to do with them. Master for vinyl, carving and plating the mother and one initial stamper, center labels, 500 black LPs, and 500 cmyk jackets, and shipping. If you're interested in trying it out some time, I would recommend Imprint for jackets and full color centers and Aardvark or Carl Saff or Lucky for mastering to vinyl. There's a ton of places to press now, so that just depends on how much premium service you wanna pay for and if you're close enough to anywhere to do a pickup instead of shipping. I like the places that are a little cheaper and more old school (like Archer in Detroit), but I know a lot of people who happily press with plants that offer lots of premium extras like Pirates/CZ (who I will never work with again because I think the QC is all over the map) or big timers like URP (who I won't work with again because dealing with them is like dealing with your insurance company, and they have a big reputation for running hot and breaking stampers). I'm curious about the new plant here in Chicago but I won't be pressing again until probably this autumn.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

Flaggy posted:

Need some help, getting a new receiver and can't decide between these:
Kenwood Kr-730
Yamaha cr-840
JVC JR-S81W
Technics SA-505
Kenwood KR-4070
Sansui G-3000

I am using a Technics SL-D2 going to 2 70's klipsch studio monitors. Really looking for good sound is about it. I posted in the vintage thread as well but that one is kind of slow.

Want to listen to my new KLF records on something awesome.

Do you know what the power/impedance rating of the speakers you'll be using is?

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

pwn posted:

That’s good. Music needs to be made more scarce.

I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic or not but there are records I would probably never have on wax if not for VMP. They are doing pretty awesome work in making more music available on vinyl.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Banano posted:

Do you know what the power/impedance rating of the speakers you'll be using is?

They are Klipsch KG 2.2 8 ohms power is 75 watts 375 peak watts

I am leaning towards the Technics receiver as I believe it has more watts per channel.

pwn
May 27, 2004

MrSargent posted:

I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic or not but there are records I would probably never have on wax if not for VMP. They are doing pretty awesome work in making more music available on vinyl.
What’s their story for not repressing records of the month?

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

pwn posted:

It was a combination of factors but I think a lot of it was customer feedback. They also are trying to be more efficient with their pressing quantities with the intent to sell out the ROTM within a month or two of its release. I think this helps from an inventory perspective since they are a pretty small company all things considered.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

MrSargent posted:

It was a combination of factors but I think a lot of it was customer feedback. They also are trying to be more efficient with their pressing quantities with the intent to sell out the ROTM within a month or two of its release. I think this helps from an inventory perspective since they are a pretty small company all things considered.

Oh yeah they're doing god's work by pressing the Exact Right Number of records

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Bread Dragon posted:

Oh royalty and licensing can for sure be a sticking point as you scale upwards through the talent/fame pool, that's undeniable. But yeah just fwiw the $2100~ I cited includes everything that happens after getting your mix locked to the day you have a bunch of records cluttering up your living room and you're trying to figure out what the hell to do with them. Master for vinyl, carving and plating the mother and one initial stamper, center labels, 500 black LPs, and 500 cmyk jackets, and shipping. If you're interested in trying it out some time, I would recommend Imprint for jackets and full color centers and Aardvark or Carl Saff or Lucky for mastering to vinyl. There's a ton of places to press now, so that just depends on how much premium service you wanna pay for and if you're close enough to anywhere to do a pickup instead of shipping. I like the places that are a little cheaper and more old school (like Archer in Detroit), but I know a lot of people who happily press with plants that offer lots of premium extras like Pirates/CZ (who I will never work with again because I think the QC is all over the map) or big timers like URP (who I won't work with again because dealing with them is like dealing with your insurance company, and they have a big reputation for running hot and breaking stampers). I'm curious about the new plant here in Chicago but I won't be pressing again until probably this autumn.

That's pretty cool. Are you pressing your own music or are you a label?

pwn posted:

Artificial scarcity moves units a lot faster and usually guarantees they sell out their whole inventory of it's anything even remotely popular.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I don't usually give a poo poo about colored records, but Surachai's new one had an option for a limited edition hand-poured version that looks stunning.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Meanwhile, their pressing of Nada Surf's High/Low has been gathering dust in a warehouse for 3+ years now.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

BY THE WAY.

I recall a few people talking about Sparks here so I figured those among us would want to know this. One of the titles you can vote on this current round of things on Run Out Groove is a half speed master reissue of A Woofer in Tweeter's Clothing by Sparks.

http://www.runoutgroovevinyl.com/vote-for-next-release

pwn
May 27, 2004

MrSargent posted:

I’ve been digging through their public forums, and I found the Wayne Knight guy making vague statements to the effect that people wanted to see fresh stock. Still seems weird to make a blanket no-repress rule, rather than the more sensible “repress when there’s demand for more,” but that’s just a surface impression.

It’s kind of an illness, to be that addicted to buying records, that you complain that there aren’t enough new records to choose from, isn’t it? Most of us are guys, aren’t we? Mainly men seem to love these kinda of hobbies, where it’s more about accumulating shinys than actually loving the thing. This, and photography, but on the gear side. A lot of guys love talking about their gear and acquiring gear more than actually making photos.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Sparks will never win, but man I love Sparks.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

Sparks will never win, but man I love Sparks.

That's what I thought too, but I voted for it anyway. That band is way less appreciated than they deserve to be. Maybe it's different in the UK because they were a hit there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

pwn posted:

I’ve been digging through their public forums, and I found the Wayne Knight guy making vague statements to the effect that people wanted to see fresh stock. Still seems weird to make a blanket no-repress rule, rather than the more sensible “repress when there’s demand for more,” but that’s just a surface impression.

It’s kind of an illness, to be that addicted to buying records, that you complain that there aren’t enough new records to choose from, isn’t it? Most of us are guys, aren’t we? Mainly men seem to love these kinda of hobbies, where it’s more about accumulating shinys than actually loving the thing. This, and photography, but on the gear side. A lot of guys love talking about their gear and acquiring gear more than actually making photos.

That comic is hilarious first of all. I get the impression from reading the forums that people weren't necessarily complaining about the lack of fresh stock, but when VMP asked for feedback from subscribers that was one of the top comments. Some people have been members since the beginning (believe that was 5 years ago) so they probably have a much different view on that aspect than someone like me who has only been a member for a little less than a year.

The collecting illness is pervasive in our culture though. The music industry is still male-dominated so it makes sense that hobbies within music are also male-dominated. If you think about most collecting hobbies, they come from heavily male-dominated industries like comic books, video games, sports memorabilia, vinyl, and so on.