Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I like Logy but yeah least on the NA said the fans were not happy about what they did with Escha so I guess the fan reaction was negative enough for them to stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Pamela's appearance as a playable character in Mana Khemia was great. She had some hilariously powerful skills.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Dunno why Gust decided to have smol Escha because I mean, literally everyone thought what they did with Rorona in Meruru was dumb and bad

Also I really gotta try out MK sometime

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

the PS2 version of MK has some issues of the game crashing in the bonus dungeon - I think it was localized right when NIS was being pretty sloppy with localization (AR2 had that infamous Reki crash and several cloche fan club members with untranslated lines)

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Part 7-5: The Twins’ First Vacation

Inspecting and Scolding

I’m not seeing any problems. Firis?

Hell… oh?

Hey, what are you doing? Poking all around the place like that…?

Just a regular inspection. This atelier bends space a little, right? So we’re checking to make sure nothing is going wrong. Things could get nasty.

Hey, I haven’t told you this yet, have I? Miss Sophie was the one who made this atelier.

S-She was? I guess I should have guessed, with it bending space and all…

That’s right! My teacher is a master! Having this atelier makes my travels so much easier. Heheh! Miss Sophie, Plachta! Let’s continue our travels one day soon, okay?

Hm? All of you traveled together?

Yes, originally, we did. Until Firis got separated from us.

Nngh…

Hahaha… She does like to go running off after delicious-looking things! If we hadn’t heard the rumors from that merchant, we would still be separated right now.

If you’ve learned your lesson, don’t go running off into crowds again! Understand?

Yes, teacher!

Hahaha, you’re right. She’s a strict teacher… We’d better not let teach hear us, though?

I can hear you clearly, girls. Does this mean you wish for a scolding of your own? I must respond accordingly, if you do. What shall I scold you on today?

N-No need! We’re leaving!

Run, run for it!

Hehe, I was only joking. Those two are so full of energy.

Yes! They’re such good kids, aren’t they? Hey, that reminds me…

Hey, Lydie! Maybe after all this time, Dad will finally be back!

Right! …We’re home!

Vacation in a Painting

M-Mireille? Hold on. I thought we locked up before we left?

Hehe, just who do you think I am? I have the authority of the state at my beck and call!

That actually sounds a bit scary!

Anyway, forget the small stuff. I’m here with an exciting offer for you both.

A vacation?

You mean a tropical island, swimming in the clear seas, eating fresh fruit…

Yes! Getting a nice sun tan, too! I’d feel pretty good about a vacation, Mireille!

Hehe, I’m glad to hear it. Although you’re going into a Mysterious Painting, rather than an island. I’ve finally obtained a certain Painting. Its name is “The Treasury at the Sea Bottom.” A painting depicting a lovely ocean scene. I thought maybe you could go and have some fun?

A vacation in the world inside a Painting! Heheh, that sounds like fun!

The “treasury” part sounds intriguing! We could use all the treasure we can get at the moment!

Good, good. So we can count you both in. We don’t need to Restore the Painting this time, either. Once you’re ready, just come over to the castle. See you later!

…A vacation! Yes! I don’t think we’ve ever had one of those before!

I don’t think, I know so! Our first ever vacation! Time to have some real fun!

Let’s round up the gang! I bet they’ll want in on this!

Under the Sea

You’re here! This is the setting for your vacation, “The Treasury at the Sea Bottom”!

I haven’t had a vacation in ages! Hahaha, I’m starting to look forward to this too!

Me too! I can’t wait to kick back and relax!

Hehehe! I’ve got my swimsuit all ready! Let’s hit the beach!

Off you go then, everyone! Enjoy this little holiday!

Alright! At last, a Mysterious Painting! I can’t wai-whoa!!

Blub blub blub?!

Blowbling! Blowbling! Blub! Bebeeeelp! Bebeeeelp! (Drowning! Drowning! Retreat, retreat!)

We didn’t even get that far! Gah! I thought I was going to drown in there!

I didn’t expect the Painting to lead right into the ocean! Ugh, I think I swallowed some!

S-Sorry about that. You can’t have a vacation under the ocean, can you, let alone investigate…

Hehehe. I wouldn’t be so quick to say that!

That’s crazy! Alchemy continues to trample everything I consider normal…

Hold on. If you had those on you, why didn’t we use them back there?

Indeed, Sue. I knew you’d notice. Actually, I’ve got something to admit… That’s my last Air Drop. I haven’t made any of them recently, I’m afraid! Hahaha!

Ah, I see. In which case, we’ll make them. Enough for everyone to us!

We’ll leave that in your hands, then. Here’s the last Air Drop and how to make more.

Air Drop and Creating Air Drops received.

We’re counting on you. Hurry up, before the vacation fever wears off!

Hahaha! We’re raring to get in there just as much as you are, Lucia.

Just have a little patience. Anyway, Lydie! Let’s go home and synth this thing up.

Okay! Now… here’s the recipe for a Bag of Air Drops…

It’ll take a while, but nothing we can’t handle!

Right! Air Drops all round! That should be more than enough.

Great! Now we finally get to enjoy our vacation!

Back at the gallery…

Let’s try this again! Vacation time!

Vacation, In Earnest…?

Music: Finding the Treasure -Lydie-

(Wow! We can really breathe in the water now! So this is what it’s like under the sea?)

(A fun vacation and loads of treasure await us! Hahaha, I can’t wait!)

Music: Finding the Treasure -Suelle-

(Wow, these Air Drops are incredible… I can kick open a chest without popping the bubble and drowning.)

(We can gather materials down here no problem.)

(I can throw bombs out of this bubble no problem…)

(I can fire at will, no problem!)

(Whoa!!)

(Haha… maybe Lightning Bombs aren’t the best thing to use underwater…)

(But it all worked out in the end!)

CAPTAAAAAAAAAIN

(Up ahead!)

Phew, we seem to have reached dry land. …Hey, hold on?

Music: Captain… Backen!

Sailing across the ten seas! Burning all who stand in my way! That’s the way I do it. Because I'm… Captaaaaaaaain Backeeeen!

Captaaaaaaaain Backeeeen!

Yes, I think we got that part. May we ask your profession?

What? You don’t know who I am? Then I’ll just have to explain! I’m… Captaaaaaaaain Backeeeen! The pirate among pirates, scourge of the ten seas! They call me Burning Backen! You’d do well to remember that, awahahaha!

A p-p-pirate! This is amazing! I’ve never seen a pirate before!

Me neither! He’s cooler than I thought! Can we call you Captain? Captain!

Awahahaha! Sure you can! You can even join my crew, if you like!

What? Really? Yes! I’ll make a beautiful pirate!

Me too, me too! I want to wear a hat, an eyepatch, and form the Lydie Pirate Band!

You two are getting a bit carried away again…

Well I’m not going to get swept up in this foolishness! Backen, what are you doing here?

Where else would I be? This is my treasure trove! I will defend that treasure, no matter what!

Excuse me! Captain, I have a question! What kind of treasure are we talking about?

I’d like to know that too! Please tell us, Captain!

Very well, Minion C, Minion D!

Dare I ask what happened to Minion A and B? Gah, I don’t think I can keep up!

A portrait of a hero, a gold nugget the size of a shoe, and a poem collection to stir the heart! The treasures you’ll find here are beyond valuation! Awahahaha!

Oooohhh!! That sounds incredible!

However… it’s been a while since I died. I’m getting tired of defending this treasure alone. If you wish, my new minions, I will pass ownership of it on to you.

A quick change of attitude! Lucia is all about the money, after all.

Very well! The treasure is stored in my three vaults. You may take whatever you like! Awahaha!

Aye aye, Captain! This feels a little different from a vacation, but no matter!

Captain! Which way to the treasure vaults?

Awahahaha! Right through my here camp, Minion C!

They’ve gotta be over these barrels, right? Right?

Right you are, Minion D!

Alright! Adventure awaits! Fun awaits! Treasure awaits! Let’s go!

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jul 12, 2019

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
This will end well.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Ah Backen, probably one of my favorite NPCs in this game.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

It's actually a travesty that CAPTAAAAAAAIN BACKEN isn't playable and hell that he cannot appear outside of this painting

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I dunno if it's this update or the next one but we're coming up on one of the only catalysts in the game that pose a realistic alternative to rubies

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

I dunno if it's this update or the next one but we're coming up on one of the only catalysts in the game that pose a realistic alternative to rubies

I'm not sure which it could be browsing through my end-of-chapter inventory; until I hit alchemy level 30 I still need the +2 traits transferred panel from the rubies, and I can't think of anything I picked up here Backen's Bromides, Malmore Comets that even has +1 trait transferred. Shoot me a PM?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Part 7-6: The Captain’s Treasures

The Third Treasure Vault

Heh, interesting. Rugged, tough. The perfect atmosphere for a pirate. …Tell us, Captain. What treasure can we hope for here?

Prepare yourselves! A poem collection to stir the heart! You’ll weep as you read, guaranteed!

The pirate among pirates also has refined literary tastes! I’m impressed, Captain!

Awahahaha! Of course, Minion F! I’d appreciate one such as you beside me in the seas! But here, I cannot allow you to just pass. I too… ahem. Anyway! If you want to come through, bring me some wood! That’s the condition!

Uwah, very well! But what are you going to use it for?

To repair my beloved ship. It may never sail again… but I can’t bear to see it in such a state!

Captain! A true man of the seas! Still trying to repair your ship, even after your death!

Ah, you’ve moved me too! Captain! We’ll find the wood for you, fear not.

Awahaha! Place the wood you’ve gathered right here. I’m counting on you, my minions!

Good thing we’ve plenty of wood in reserve!

There we go! Here’s the wood you asked for, Captain!

Great work. Now I can repair my beloved vessel.

Captain! You fix that beauty up well and good!

If there’s anything else you need, just let us know. We’ll help you however we can.

My deepest thanks, as a man of the sea! You may pass. Pass, read, and weep tears of true emotion!

W-What is this?

That’s right! My greatest work. I’m impressed by your resolve! Go ahead, read!

…I’m not quite ready… Lucia, you take this one.

Why me? Very well, then. Aah, OK, here we go… “When fighting my foes I’m always on fire! Like a man made of lava, I roar with desire!…” I’m sorry, that’s all I can take… Ahem! Lydie!

Hey, don’t hand that to me! Uwah! What am I supposed to do with this?

Awahahaha! Treasure it always, Minion C! If you throw it away, I’ll burn you myself!

No need for that! I’m keeping it, I’m keeping it!

Backen’s Poem reluctantly received…

Alright! There’s nothing else this way… so the other treasure vaults should be to the west. Let’s go!

Sue, wait up! Over there!

Ahh! That’s…

Yes… but thanks to you, my minions, my ship will be restored to its former glory!

(All the captain’s minions and all of his wood couldn’t put his ship together again…)

Let’s try the path to the southwest…

The Second Treasure Vault

Bingo!

Uwah, that’s a large monster! You don’t think we can fight that thing, right…

Tell us, Captain. Where’s the next treasure vault?

There! Right where that monster is! That’s the second treasure vault!

What! What’s what monster doing there, then?

I don’t know! It must have just taken up residence there. What a pain, honestly! Awahaha!

What should we do? I don’t want to fight that thing, but I also really want that treasure!

I hear you. Is there anyway to get our hands on it without having to fight?

Hmm. A way without fighting… a-a-achooo!

Uwah, Lucia! At least cover your mouth!

S-Sorry. That surprised me too!

Hey, the monster reacted to that noise. If we make an even louder one…

Maybe we can drive it off? Let’s give it a try!

Hmm, what do we have that would make a really loud noise… ah, I know!

Right. Everyone, don’t forget to cover your ears. Here we go!

Yes! Just like we planned! It went perfectly, Sophie!

This one contains a nugget of gold as large as a shoe! Prepare yourself well before you open it!

Gold! You hear that, everyone? Gold! Enough for us all to be rich! Haha… hahaha!

Right. I’m opening it.

…Uwah! W-What’s this?

My beloved golden long boots! I guess those years of use have made them a bit fragrant! Awahahaha!

Ugh! Even if they are made of gold, I can’t stand this stench!

Ublaaagh! You wanted this, Lucia, right?

You will take responsibility for these abominations! That is an order!

Uwah, fine…

The Gold Long Boots were forced upon you…

That wasn’t quite what I was hoping for… Ahem! There’s more to this cave than just that treasure vault. Let’s go spelunking!

(Another camp… I wonder if this belonged to the Captain’s men? Or to intruders?)

Hmm, let’s have a closer look at this rainbow-colored rock…

Twin Powers, huh… Hehe, I can already think of a really good use for this! Now, moving on… there’s one treasure vault left. One path left.

Let’s take a right and keep on going…

The First Treasure Vault

Ah, it’s my pet Kame-kichi! I haven’t seen you for a while. You’ve gotten pretty big!

A p-pet? It’s cute, but let’s ignore it for now.

We can’t. The first vault lies beyond the beast, I’m afraid. You’ll have to defeat him to pass.

Come on then, girls! We’re here for the treasure, after all!

H-Hold on? Firis?

Y-Yeah! That’s the spirit!

He’s vulnerable to all magic damage, huh…

So he’s weak to everything we got up our sleeve!

Victory! Bring on the treasure!

Hahaha, this should sell for an incredible amount! Allow me to open it!

Aaaaaah! This is…!

That’s right! The fire-loving… Captaaaain… Backen!

Uwah, no way! We won’t get a loaf of old bread for this! Not to mention, there are loads of the exact same picture scattered about the place!

Of course. I needed enough for all my fans! Feel free to take as many as you’d like.

Yes! Souvenirs for everyone! I’ll grab an armful. Aren’t you grabbing some too, Lucia?

…No. No, I’m not.

Backen’s Bromide obtained!

Awahahaha! Now! Come to the gate near my ship!

The Final Treasure Vault

You said there were three vaults, right? That means these are all the treasures?

If that’s the case, then all of this treasure was junk!

Whatever do you mean, Lucia? If these aren’t treasures, I don’t know what is!

Well said, Alt! Lucia, you’re being very rude to the Captain!

I’ve no idea what’s going on here, honestly! Alright, alright, I’m sorry!

Awahaha, no need for that. Just as you said, there’s not much left…

Captain?

Pay no heed to this old sea dog! You did well to collect all three treasures. Perhaps you are worthy to receive my last and greatest treasure!

Last? Greatest? Am I wrong to get my hopes up?

Captain, you salty beast! You saved the best for last, right? What is it? What kind of riches await us?!

Calm your sails! It lies in a chest in the depths of this place. Come and see for yourselves!

Alright! The Captain’s greatest treasure… just for us…!

Uraaaagh!

Uggggh! It won’t open?

Phew… Captain? This chest is locked.

Aaah! The key is broken!

Awahaaaaaagh! Broken! What should we do?!

Do you even need to ask? Let’s smash this chest and grab the goodies inside!

Hahaha, personally I don’t mind, but somehow I feel like you’ll destroy what’s inside too.

Alright. If the key is broken, why don’t we just fix it?

What? We’re alchemists, not blacksmiths!

Doesn’t matter! Alchemy can get this job done. I’ve done it in the past, actually.

Very well. Promise with Mom Number 5, “Don’t worry - just do it!”

Well said! Captain? Will you trust us with the remains of that key?

My marvelous minions! This all takes me back, ah… Very well, this useless key piece is yours.

Backen’s Broken Key received.

The content of this chest is especially precious to me. I’m counting on you.

So… back to the atelier for us, Sue!

Who’d have thought there would be recipes in the Captain’s poem notebook! So… that’s how to make Apcol, and Heating Pottery Stone… Sue? Are you reading along?

Meh! Let’s just fix the key already!

All we need is a lot of fuel, metal and some Hidden Power… and!

Alright! We mustn’t keep the Captain waiting any longer!

O Captain! My Captain!

Ah, most impressive! The minions have surpassed their teacher! Go ahead and open the chest!

Right! Finally, we get some real treasure!

…Good, the key worked. Time to unveil the Captain’s secret treasure!

Indeed it is. That’s my very first pistol. Awahaha, just looking brings out so many memories…

This is your ultimate treasure?

That’s right. I braved the ten seas with that pistol at my hip. I’ve pillaged many mighty treasures, but doing so always required more bloodshed. Once you have the treasures, too, people fight you to take them. And thus, here I am, with nothing.

Captain…

Days spent singing, talking, sailing with my crew… This pistol was there for all those fun tunes. That’s what makes it my greatest treasure. Even if it’s just junk to you.

She’s right, Captain! Thank you so much for showing us this incredible treasure!

Keeping your first pistol for all these years! Captain, you’re just incredible!

Awahaha! I think you are worthy of my greatest treasure, then! Accept it and go, my dear minions! Use this pistol to bring the world to its knees!

Pirate Flare received.

Raaagh! The manliness!! I can feel the love of the sea coursing through my veins, Captain!

I need to look after old artifacts better myself.

Awahahaha! I’m happy to have met you all!

Awahaha! Pirates always wear a grin, missy! Weep not for our parting, and become a fine pirate! Never forget how it felt at the start of your adventure! Blessing of the seas to you all!

Captaaaain! Don’t leave us…!

We had a lot of fun with you, Captain. Thank you.

Awahaha! Farewell!

Captain! Goodbye!

Sniff… Wah… Aaah… Oh, look… Color Fragments, where the Captain was standing!

Hehe. A thank you gift from him, surely. He was happy we spent this time with him.

I think you’re right. …Thank you, Captain… We won’t forget the things you taught us.

Sue has acquired the skill “Competitor’s Prize”.

Competitor’s Prize - Increase ATK when afflicted by a status ailment.

…Ah, welcome back! How was your vacation?

Return of the Ranking System

It didn’t? I’m really sorry about that.

Not at all! It was a lot of fun. Thank you for setting this up for us!

It was? Then I’m glad you enjoyed it. I’ve got some good news for you, too.

It has? Yes! Now we can aim to become the greatest in the kingdom once again!

But how come? I thought the system had served its purpose?

That’s true, but I explained how developing alchemy will lead to further financial wealth. …Adalet has ignored alchemy until now. If we change that, our kingdom can continue to grow.

Hmm, I see. You’ve given this some thought, haven’t you?

You bet I have! We’re going to let other alchemists into the Mysterious Paintings, too. Let’s all work together to make our kingdom an even better place to live!

Count us in, of course! Ah, we need to tell Dad about this right away!

Come on, then! See you all later!

Wow, they sure bolted. I was about to say… Sis, shouldn’t you tell them the other reason? You made a big point of it during the discussions. The twins are working so hard to increase their rank… Adults shouldn’t destroy children’s dreams, right?

Hahaha, well said, Mireille. I think that’s a lovely sentiment.

…Don’t tell the twins about this, though. It will make working with them even harder!

Yes, yes, I won’t say a word. Those two are very loved, aren’t they?

The Disappearance of Roger Malen

What, he’s still not back? Hold on, look. A note and some money?

He won’t be back for a while? What does that mean? Sue! We need to go and look for him!

Right away! I don’t want Dad to go off somewhere on his own, no way!

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 3, 2019

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Chapter 7 debrief

Props to Mireille and Mathias at the end for lobbying to get the Atelier Ranking System restarted, just for the twins. That’ll be picked right back up in Chapter 8! And then Roger suddenly went and vanished, but… we’ll get to that later!

Anyway, Ilmeria is our second DLC character, added along with the version 1.03 update! But 1.03 didn’t just add Ilmeria—Gust got Maria Naganawa, Hikaru Akao, Kaede Hondo and Sayaka Kaneko back in the studio to record a loooooooooooot of events involving their characters. Scenes pertaining to Ilmeria joining and gameplay details about her character are of course locked behind the :10bux: but you should be able to get the vast majority of 1.03 scenes regardless of whether you ponied up the extra cash. Heck, you’ve already seen some 1.03 events as early as Chapter 5, with the twins trolling Ilmeria about her first pet Puni. The SLEEP WITH FIRIS event and the event about Ilmeria’s ribbons were also added with 1.03.

None of them are necessary to attain to unlock the True Ending and frankly it’s more work for me to transcribe them, so if I don’t feel like putting them into an actual update, I’ll just add them in the debriefs as bonus content moving forward. Like with this:

1.03 Extras
Introductions

Character Art
Captain Backen OA (?)
I can’t tell who drew CAPTAAAAIN BACKEN, since the usual visual cues—the eyes—are, uh, not there.

Location Notes and Memos:
Mysterious Painting:

This world shows a pirate’s treasure trove at the bottom of the sea. It contains beautiful oceans like the painting, perfect for taking a dip in…

Bestiary Notes:

Since Kame-kichi is weak to magic, he’s by extension weak to any elemental source of damage. So he’ll fold fast to Ori Bombs and Stahl Ice Bombs, and Alt and Firis’ follow-up skills and Sophie’s offensive skills. All of which should be getting highly potent at this stage of the game.

Music:
Finding the Treasure -Lydie-
The idea behind this is to express the power and never-say-die spirit of Captain Backen. I remember being surprised at just how spooky the map design for this area was. (Yanagawa)

Finding the Treasure -Suelle-
Sue’s a lot more interested in material wealth, so I made sure to give the instruments more of a metallic twinkle. You’re probably thinking, that’s why he did that?! (Yanagawa)

Hydrangea -Part 2-
Miyoshi is on the guitar, and HIROTOMO is on the bass here. It was only when I came to prepare materials for the performers that I realized how uptempo this piece is, despite the fact that it features several difficult accents throughout. The materials therefore feature repeated apologies from me for the speed and difficulty of the piece I was asking them to play. (Yano)

Sunflower -Part 2-
The game has reached its middle section by now, and the music has become much more vibrant. As if there isn’t even time for an intro, the arrangement jumps straight in with the first verse (lol). Parts 2 and 3 also borrow phrases from the opening theme, so see if you can spot what they are! The title is a reference to my image of Sue. It doesn’t sound much like the title of a battle theme, but I like it. (Yanagawa)

Dreams of a Book (Lydie & Suelle Ver.)
Along with Sophie, Plachta has appeared in every title in the “Mysterious” series. Her character theme is well-known for its unique arrangement, so it’s certainly difficult to arrange it in a certain way. At first listen it may not seem any different from the original, but the instrumentation is actually significantly altered. (Achiwa)

Captain… Backen!
As this piece is for a comical pirate character, I was fairly concerned when I was first given this task that it might be difficult to work out how to tackle it, but a perusal of the storyline and script gave me all the inspiration I needed, and in the end it was simple. Musically, the piece features ethnic elements, while snare drums and brass instruments give it the piratical feel of the ship cutting through the waves. (Tomizawa)

Camellia Sazanka (Music Box Ver.)
Corneria’s music box. How come the music has been redone from scratch, you ask? Well, there are certain legal… Uh, no… Uh, during her trip, she needed to get it fixed, you see, and the sound must have changed, hahaha… (Yanagawa)

DEBRIEF debrief:
In Chapter 6, the twins beat a god. So Chapter 7 was thematically pretty obviously filler: the twins run around town doing odd jobs a bit, then Mireille invites them into a Mysterious Painting for a vacation, where they end up chilling with a wonderfully batshit comic relief skeleton pirate. When they’re done with their vacation that wasn’t, they learn the good news—that the Atelier Ranking System has been reinstated. But their euphoria is broken when they go home and find that Roger has left home for an indefinite period of time. With this, the plot will resume shortly.

While everything up to Chapter 6 was the twins getting involved in the Kingdom of Adalet’s plan to stave off destruction with Falgior’s return, the twins’ story will soon zoom in on their own family history. It will pick up plot threads dropped for the Falgior fight. And as much as Roger got in the way and often made things worse for the twins, they—and we—are about to find out life without him ain't exactly sunshine and roses.

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jul 12, 2019

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Part 8-1: The Promise Resumed

Their Life Back on Track

I’m back. No sign of him today either…

I guessed as much. Oh, where did he go…?

It’s just the Messenger Puni. From Mireille, I presume?

Puni!!

Thank you. …It’s the requirements for the next Promotion Test. Sue, what do you think?

Hmm. Maybe we should concentrate on increasing our rank, for now. I’m worried about Dad, but…

We can’t just sit around doing nothing. Dad will be fine! He’ll be back when his money runs out! We just have to put on a brave face until then. Right, Sue?

Yeah…

Also in the envelope is… our subsidy of 4000 Coll. And a letter permitting us to travel to the Dawn Realm and the Morrakis Range.

Those are the farthest outskirts of Adalet, right? I hear they’re super dangerous and that only the strongest adventurers are allowed to go out there… I guess we’re really moving up in the world if Mireille thinks we got what it takes!

Right! But first, let’s prepare well.

Ooh! I got an idea for a stronger Lightning Bomb!

We need it to slightly slow the enemy down…

And there we go! But I’ve got more ideas on where to go with this. First, let’s just make a really high-quality one…

Bleeh! We’ll have to compromise a bit on the power, but the side effects will more than make up for it. Now, let’s do the thing!

This looks incredible, Sue…!

But we’re not done here yet! Next, I want to try using that Rainbow Corundum we found in the Treasury at the Sea Bottom in a bomb.

I see where you’re going with this, Sue. “Twin Powers” tacks on Fire and Ice… so if you put this trait on a Lightning Crystal, then Firis…!

Bingo! Now, for this synthesis, all we really need is that trait!

Alright! Anyway, before we head out, we’re about due for an equipment upgrade.

Right! Speaking of which, I want Hagel to make me the Captain’s gun!

Woohoo! Thank you, Hagel!

Hmm, what else… Let’s also get Firis a new bow, and Alt a new book.

Now, then…

Let’s go!

Music: Twin Birds Dancing in the Snow
(Music: Twin Birds Dancing in the Snow -Night-)

Brr! It’s freezing…

Can we not stay here too long? I hate the cold…

Well… I bet a battle will warm you right up!

Like with this Big Tree Soldier! …Now, let’s see…

Light ‘em up, Firis!

Hehe, you got it!

That was flashy! But it didn’t quite finish the job, ehehe…

Then we must keep it at bay until then.

There we go! The Scatter effect means that Lightning Crystal will knock it back down the line… twice! Now, then! Luft, Firis…

A total victory! Now, on we go!

Sue… If Twin Powers has Fire and Ice, then Twin Powers Pair…

Hehe… we can still upgrade the Firis Bomb yet!

Girls! There’s someone over there!

Yeah, I guess so…

:v: You understand the beauty of the snowy mountains! Wonderful! Tell me - what do you like most about them?!

I… I guess it’s something how cold they are?

:v: Don’t underestimate the mountains! Cold robs you of your strength more than you realize! Take the greatest care!

Thanks, mister. Anyway, let’s go further up the mountain trail! All the way to the top!

Right? It doesn’t snow in Merveille…

Haha! Seeing these two brings back memories to my first time seeing snowfall…

We made it to the peak! But I gotta ask, Lydie… what do you think is with all the ruins in these mountains?

I was wondering too! It’s not like this area was ravaged by a god, like Falgior did Braisewest…

Mmm… Maybe we’ll find something else when we return some other time. Anyway, next up… the Dawn Realm!

You know, girls… I’ve heard from some customers that late at night, dragons roam the Dawn Realm…

D-Dragons? Really?

Maybe if we hang around long enough, we’ll see one.

Dragon Battle

Looks like your customers were right, Lucia! Here it comes!

Uwaaah! T-Take this!

Let’s try this out! Hmm… Blizzard Weave, was it called?

Good on my students for being able to make such amazing Distilled Water! Now, don’t mind if I do…

Hmm…

Firis! You’re up!

Ah, right!

Amazing… the dragon didn’t even get a chance to retaliate before Firis put it down…

Hey, Lydie. Remind me never to get on the other side of Firis’ bow…

Definitely… Anyway, I read somewhere that gods visit the Dawn Realm.

This looks like somewhere a god would show up, I guess. But for now, let’s go home. We’ve been out for days, and I’m shot!

The night they get home…

Sue! Sue!

Swole Lydie?

What is it, Lydie? Hey, why do you have that Puni with you?

Haha! I’m here to show you how much stronger I’ve become, Sue!

Hahaha, what are you talking about? No matter how many Puni you defeat, it won’t prove a thing! I mean, you need to at least be able to shred a Puni with one hand!

Oh, is that all? I could do that with my eyes closed!

…Eh?
…Puni?

Lydie, stop it! That Puni is innocent! … Hold on?

Hold on? …What happened?

You told me to hit you as hard as I can, so I slapped you! A bit too hard, I think. I think I knocked you out! I’m really sorry!

So that stuff with the Puni was all a dream? Owww! Now that I’m back my cheek hurts!

Hahaha, but look how much stronger I’ve become? Sorry… Too soon?

Strength to slap your sister isn’t something you need! Ah, I shouldn’t have asked you to do that!

The morning after…

Oh right, Lydie, did you notice that Ilmeria had a Battle Mix ready to go as soon as you chucked the Ori Bomb the other day?

Well, we’re due for a visit with our teacher all the same.

Hehe… a visit, and some fun with our teacher!

The Twins’ Innovation

Yes, probably. Plachta’s alchemy may actually differ slightly from modern-day alchemy…

Oh, there you are. In fact, we were just talking about that thing you two came up with.

That thing…? What do you mean? “The Fully-Automatic Lecture Machine Ilmeria Mark 3”, maybe?

No, I bet they’re talking about the “Pretty Ilmeria Doll”… Uh!

Wh-What are you two talking about? Why are you wasting your time thinking up things like that?!

U-Uh-oh…! Firis, what was it you were talking about?

Y-Yes! Tell us, please! We really would like to know!

Huh? Oh, it was “Battle Mix.” You know, the technique you use to synthesize things in-battle.

Ah! That was a revolutionary idea, if I do say so myself. A truly historic achievement, if you’d like.

…You might be right. I mean, it’s turned the conventional alchemic wisdom on its head.

Huh, really? In what way?

It’s that you don’t use anything like a cauldron. Traditionally, alchemy has always been conducted in a vessel… But “Battle Mix” makes use of Anima, allowing you to synthesize without any vessel.

That’s a remarkable achievement. But it does make it more difficult. Sophie and I tried it out several times, but we just couldn’t get it to work…

What?! Sophie and Firis…?! This is too much! Too much, Lydie! This is amazing!

I-I know! This makes it all somehow feel more real…! We invented something really incredible!

Haha… Well, Firis and I think the difficulty may be due to differences in schools of alchemy. But it is certainly true that you two are very talented alchemists, to come up with something so remarkable. …You should stop wasting your time with lecture machines and dolls, and make something else truly useful.

Okay! Something truly useful… I’ll remember that! …Then I will invent the “Medicine Distributor Angel Ilmeria” to hand out medicine to patients!

And I will make a machine that automatically plows fields - the “Il-dozer”!

Hey! Stop coming up with things relating to me! I’m going to get really mad…!

Well, there you have it, a story reason for why Sophie and Firis can’t use Battle Mix while Lucia and Ilmeria can. (As for Alt? …Ignore him for now.)

Absence

Hahaha! If she were here, she’d have collared him and stopped this before he made it out the door!

Hahah, that sounds about right! Oh, Mom…

Praise us, telling us how well we’ve done? Ruffle our hair with a smile, like she used to? I really want to see Mom again… so badly!

Sue! I’m sure she’d praise us. She’d ruffle your hair right off! I’m worried about Dad going off, too, but we just have to do everything we can for today. Right?

I know. I’m sorry for having a moment of weakness… We’re the sisters who always move forward! We’re aiming for C Rank, Sis! Let’s take this Rank Exam down!

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jul 12, 2019

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Twin Powers and Twin powers: Pair on a lightning crystal is really amazing for coll/level grinding (if you didn't buy the grinding DLCs) if you switch to Very Hard as they still pretty much wipe out most mobs even in late game, and if it doesn't, Firis finishes them off.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Feb 19, 2019

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Of course, be sure you're doing this on Hard or Very Hard or else the costs of using a high-quality Lightning Crystal could more than wipe out any earnings you get from monster drops. (No, this didn't happen to me during the recording session, why do you ask?)

Twin Powers: Pair of course lets you fire off all of Firis' follow-up skills if you have it on a bomb along with vanilla Twin Powers. I've seen it off enemy drops on Hard+ from Chapter 8 on. It and stalling items like a regular Lightning Crystal are key to L&S' heavily offense-oriented late-mid/lategame, where Firis' damage output gets so high and you can stall bosses especially out until you're done debuffing them and/or buffing Firis, and you're ready to chuck the Firis bomb—often without even taking any damage yourself.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Part 8-2: Those They Miss

A Wastrel No More?

Hey, Sue. Can you get that material over there for me?

Sure… hold on?

None that changes the fact that I’m scared! …Owww! Sis, come on, you’re going to rip something off!

Uwah, what’s going on out there? Is that Mireille and Mathias?

Hi.

Ah, hello. What was going on out there? It sounded like quite a frenzy.

Oh, you heard that? Well… let’s cut to the chase. We want you to defeat some monsters for us.

Some monsters? Sure, but this is all a bit sudden.

We received a report of monsters nearby. I was going to send Mathias… But he seems intent on running away from the task!

Come on, it’s scary! Who knows what monsters are out there! It’s not like any regular people go there. The monster will just go off again, surely.

See what I’m dealing with here? So we need you to step up.

I see. I think we understand. Come on, Mathias. Why don’t you come with us?

If you show us how cool you can be, we’ll stop calling you the King of the Wastrels!

OK, I’m in. Let’s go right away. Come on, both of you!

I’m just glad to see him a little invested. Girls, keep an eye on him out there!

Sure thing, Mireille! Anyway…

The reports we got came from the Spring-green Odahlia. A bit too close to the capital, I’m sure you’d agree? Now off you go!

OK! …Come on, Mathias! This is your chance!

What’s going on here? You’ve fought with us against monsters lots of times.

And I hate it! I don’t like to admit this, but I’m not all that brave. If possible, I never want to fight another monster again!

You don’t? Even though you protected us from them, all those times?

:gonk: H-Heeeelp! Help meeeeeeeeeee!

Hey! Someone is being attacked!

W-We need to move, quickly…

M-Mathias! Yeah, you lead the way!

Hraaaaaagh!!

Nngh!

I’m going all out… so they’d better be ready!

Huh, that’s pretty impressive… Firis! Let’s go!

You got it!

Let’s not go overboard… this is Mathias’ time to shine.

Gaaah!

Shine…

It’s time you all witnessed my true power!

I’LL CUT YOU DOWN!!

HRAAAAAGH!

Haa… I… I did it!

No problem. I recommend you don’t come back here alone.

:unsmith: R-Right! Phew! I’ll take my leave… and thanks again!

Phew. At least no one was hurt.

Mathias! That was so cool!

Yeah! You rushed straight in there! It was actually quite thrilling!

Come on. Stop picking on me.

We’re not! You did look really cool!

I’m a knight, after all. I can’t just stand there when someone is in danger. …Ah, I’m exhausted! That was scary, too. I’m off to bed.

There he goes. I guess being praised by us embarrassed him!

Hahaha, yeah. We were just telling the truth!

I know! In any case, it’s time to retire the “King of the Wastrels”.

Indeed! Now then, we’d best go home as well.

The next morning…

The Twins’ “Toybox”

Ah, welcome. Make yourself at home.

Hahaha, thank you! The medicinal smell in the air, the bubbling cauldron! Ah, this all takes me back. I do love the atmosphere in an atelier.

What’s that, Drossel? You’ve been in other ateliers before?

Sure I have. I’ve got other alchemist friends. Gaaah! Now I’m getting excited! Hey, could I take a look around? I’ll try to stay out of your way!

Sure, that should be fine… Take a look around, as much as you like!

Thanks! I’m going to go over every inch of this place with a fine tooth comb!

Hey, stay away from the bedroom, will you? Nothing to see in there…

Hehe! An atelier really is like a toy box, isn’t it? ...Even if a lot of this stuff isn’t exactly safe to play wi…

Wait… Is this your mom?

Yes, that’s right. She passed away…

Ah, sorry for asking… It’s tough not being able to see your mom, isn’t it?

Well… What’s your mom like, Drossel?

She’s kind. So very kind, and bright like the sun.

Hehe. Just like you then, Drossel!

No, not as insensitive as me. She’s prettier, and brighter. I want to be just like her. I can barely remember her face, to be honest, but I still want to meet her and see her again.

Oh, Drossel…

Ah, sorry! I didn’t mean to do this in front of you two.

Don’t worry. We were happy to hear about it, Drossel.

I’m sure you’ll meet your mom again one day. Don’t give up!

Thanks. You two really are something special. It was fun looking around your atelier. See you!

You too! …Hmm…

Drossel is sad about not being able to see her mom, isn’t she…

Of course she is. I wonder if there’s anything we could do to reunite them?

Hmm… Anyway! After we wrap up this synthesis, let’s go for a walk. I’m thinking the plaza!

Sounds like a plan, Sue!

Childish Innocence

That’s scary! That laugh is real scary, Mireille!

Uwah, I’m going to have nightmares about that. You need to sleep with me tonight, Lydie…

I-It was that bad? Sorry!

You were watching those kids, right? Not thinking about eating them, are you?

Uwah!

I’m joking. I was just taking a break from work. Watching kids play is very calming, right?

Huh… I’ve not seen this side of you before, Mireille.

Seeing them play so innocently gives me the energy to keep on going. To make a great kingdom, that everyone will be proud to live in once they grow up.

Haha, most impressive. Thinking about the future even when you’re taking a break from work!

H-Hold on! I told you to stop praising me!

Hahaha! Hey, Mireille. We’re still kids ourselves, right?

Very well, then. I’ll make them as hard as I possibly can, just for that! A real sweet and naive child would never ask such a thing! You’ve just proven your maturity!

Gah! Forget I said anything! Keep things the same, things are fine as they are!

Haha, then don’t try to get tricky! Kids should be honest and innocent. …There will be plenty of time for tricks once you are all grown up, believe me.

Hmm… anyway, Lydie, break time’s over!

Later that day…

I’m coming in, you two!

Ah, Lucia! What’s up? Sorry, we don’t really have time to talk at the moment…

Rumors and Whereabouts

What? They did? Where? Where was he?

Outside the city. He was gathering materials like a madman, apparently. He had a fixed expression on his face, and didn’t respond even when talked to.

Lydie! Let’s go find him! We need to chew him out for making us so worried!

H-Hold on a moment. They saw him a few days ago. Even if you go now, I don’t think you’ll find him there. But at least we know he’s safe!

That’s almost enough… Thank you, Lucia, for making the time to come and see us.

Yes, thank you, Lucia. You’ve been asking your customers about our dad, haven’t you?

Yes, well… I need you happy and cheerful or it’s no fun competing with you! I-If I hear anything else, I’ll let you know! See you later!

…Hehe, that Lucia. She really is kind at heart, even if she tries to hide it.

Hahaha, I know. Like a real big sister. Still though, I gotta ask… “gathering like a madman, with a fixed expression…” That sounds totally different from the dad we know!

Right? But I guess it’s good cause to redouble our efforts!

Sure is… shoot! We’re almost out of Rubies! We’ll have to pay a visit to Corneria after this job is done.

That night…

Corneria!

The Magic Number

E-Excuse me? What’s going on?

You’re my 5000th customers! Well, 5000th and 5001st.

O-oh. Thank you, I guess?

You win a permanent “Top Up Your Used Items! Completely Reassuring Refill Service” discount!

Saying that kinda makes me feel bad!

No, no, no need to worry. Go ahead and fill up whenever you need to. I’ll just have to cut back on my evening meal. It’s no problem!

Gah, enough! We’ll use it, alright, but you better eat well too! Do you hear me, Corneria?

Very well… Girls… Wel… come…

Price of Power

Ah, I’m sorry… I should never let my customers see such weakness… I’ve been using my copying power too much recently. The two of you warned me about it, I know…

You can barely stand! You need to rest!

No. As a merchant, once the doors are open I can’t close them until closing time…

You take this all too seriously! Very well. At least let us get something for you.

Ah, good idea! What do you want? We’ll bring whatever you need!

In which case, I’d like to drink some milk.

What? Milk? Like, from a cow?

Yes. Milk.

Are you sure that’s all you want? Are you sure you’re not taking it easy on us?

No. I’m not. I love milk, more than anything else.

In which case, it would be our pleasure. We’ll bring you the most energizing milk ever!

Price of Power II

Here you go, Corneria! Here’s the milk you ordered, moooo!

Ah, that does look delicious! Let me get some of that right away! Glug, glug, glug! Uwah! Phew, I’m alive again! Thank you so much. I was about to shrink away to nothing!

Hahaha, is that the first time I’ve heard you make a joke? Is work going to make you shrink?

No, I’m not joking, unfortunately. That’s the truth.

Excuse me?

There’s a cost to my power. Each item I copy makes me shrink a little. If I rest a little then it returns to normal, but if I’m not careful I’ll stay tiny forever!

What?! That’s terrible! If you copy too much stuff you’ll be able to hide in the palm of my hand?!

That might be cute, actually…

Sue, don’t start that now. If that’s the case, you should stop using that power, right away!

No. I can’t do that. It is one of the main services I offer.

But the cost is too great!

It’s fine. If I can meet my father again, it’s fine…

Oh…

Running this shop, I might meet someone who knows my father. If the shop becomes large and famous, my name may reach my father’s ears. So long as I have this shop, one day I’ll be able to meet him. That’s what I believe.

We can’t get involved in this, Lydie. You understand how Corneria feels, right?

Yes. I’m sorry, Corneria. I said too much.

Hehe, you’re very kind, Lydie. If you are worried about me, there’s one thing you can do: keep buying stuff from this shop! That’s what will make me the happiest.

Hahah! I see what you did there! So we just have to buy lots and lots of stuff, right?

It looks like it. I walked right into that one! Come on then, Corneria, what have you got?

Remember, Lydie? Before all this, we came for more Rubies!

Oh, right! It’s really late, after all… Here’s your money, Corneria!

Thank you very much!

The next morning…

This is bad. Real bad. I need to do something about this!

Huh? Lydie, what’s up? You look really pale!

The Clothes She Made

Really…? Doesn’t look like it to me.

My clothes feel all tight, though! Like I can hardly move!

Hmm. Let me take a look…

Lydie, you haven’t gotten fat. You’ve just gotten taller.

What? That’s all?

Yeah. It’s not a tummy problem at all. You’ve grown, which is stretching your clothes. …I have as well, actually. It’s getting a bit tough to move in my clothes, too.

You have too, Sue? But we can’t just go and get new clothes, can we…

No, not really… Because after all…

(Wow, lovely! Clothes!)

(They are pretty flashy. Did you make these, Mom?)

(That’s right! To celebrate your first successful synthesis! Hehehe… All female alchemists wear cute clothing, just like this.)

(Wow, they do? Can I try it on right away?)

(Of course, but I think they might still be a bit…)

(Uwah, Mom! It’s all baggy!)

(Haha, of course it is. I made these for you to wear when you’re a bit older. Just keep learning alchemy from your father. Once your skills and bodies have grown some more… I want you to come and show me what you look like, wearing these clothes.)

I know. How about we let them out a little, then? Then we’ll be able to wear them a bit longer!

Yes, good idea! I’ll go and get the sewing kit!

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Part 8-3: Those They Cherish

Outlandish Rumors

What’s going on?! Mr. Fritz? Drossel?

You look very serious! Are you here to fight us for the atelier?! Is that it?!

As if! Your place leaks more than the one we rent!

We’re here because there’s something we want to ask!

Like what?! Not my secret savings! Hah, you’ll never look under Sue’s bed… ulp!

Not that either! We want to ask you about the Mysterious Paintings!

Hold on… Mysterious Paintings? You know about them?

Who doesn’t?! The rumors are everywhere! Twin alchemists, exploring worlds inside paintings!

Wooow, really? People are talking about us? Hehe, that’s great!

Lydie, a little modesty! Hehe! Anyway, why do you want to know about the paintings?

We want to make a puppet show about them. There are all sorts of worlds in there, right?

A world with only cute girls, or a world where gold can be found scattered on the ground?

Come on then. We’ll tell you the truth. These painting worlds… they’re pretty fantastical! They’re made of their artists’ thoughts and feelings. So you can have a snowbound cave or palace, or a land ravaged by lava, or a sea full of pirates! Or a forest full of… of ghosts!

There’s all sorts of rare, wondrous materials in these worlds, too! Better yet, anything you find there can be brought here into the real world. We’ve also found people living inside! Real characters! But on a darker note, every world we’ve been in has had strange, dangerous monsters.

And that’s how it works. Does that help?

A lot! Hahaha, now I can write it! I can write a great script, based on this!

I’ve had some new ideas for puppets, too! Hahaha! I need to get back and start work at once!

Me too, Dad! Girls, we’ll see you later!

…Uwah, that was a surprise. They sweep in here, and then sweep out again! Crazy!

Hahaha… But you know what? I think I quite like them. …So intent on their goal, so full of energy… It’s almost dazzling to look at them!

Hmm. I think you’re going to have terrible taste in men in the future, Lydie…

What! What’s that supposed to mean!

Hey! Hold on! Explain yourself! What are you talking about?!

You’re smart! You can figure it out on your own! Anyway! Let’s get to work!

Voices and Secrets

Ah. Were you synthesizing?

Yes, but don’t worry about it. We’re happy to see you both.

These sweets aren’t going anywhere. Let’s take this chance to see you in action.

Sure thing! Now, where was I…

Right, all done! Your turn next, Lydie.

Okay. Right, let me see what to use…

Oh?

Lydie, are you talking to yourself again? You’ve been doing that a lot recently!

I have? Hahaha, I must be tired, that’s all! R-Right, time to mix these together. …There we go! I’m finished too. How is it, Sophie? Plachta?

Very good! Well done! Even more impressive, considering your age.

I concur. There are still some things that require work, of course.

Hahaha, pretty strict! I’m glad, though. I thought maybe you’d say it was terrible!

You should be more confident. Keep working this hard and you’ll be truly great alchemists one day.

I agree. …Ah, Lydie, can I have a moment?

Yes?

How did you know!

How do you think? I can hear them too. Listening to those voices will improve your synthesis. Just don’t rush it. Take your time.

Yeah, I will. I have one request, though. Will you please not tell Sue about this? Sue doesn’t seem to be able to hear them yet, and I kind of feel like I’m cheating.

Sure. That’s your decision. This will be our secret for now, then.

Thank you!

Hey! What are you two whispering about?

Hahaha! Just getting a little advice!

Hey, that’s cheating! Give me some advice too!

What! Lecture? How about we just have a chat!

Hahaha! An advisory chat, is it?

…Why only me? Why can’t Sue hear them?

Hehe, that was real helpful, Sophie, Plachta! Thanks for this!

Anytime! See you around, girls!

Take care, now.

Sue, Sue! Speaking of experienced alchemists we can learn from, we oughta visit Alt! It’s been a while since we’ve been to his atelier.

Sure thing! Let’s go right away!

Alt! We’ve come to look around again…

The Meal of His Life

A-Alt?!

…he’s dead.

Uwah, he talked! Are you alright?!

I’m… hungry…

Huh?

We still have some of the sweets Sophie and Plachta brought us… hurry!

You need to take better care of yourself! Not that we’re ones to talk…

I’ll take better care in the future. I’ve got to get used to this body again.

Again? What does that mean?

I had a different body before. Then, I hardly ever needed to eat anything.

Hmm, interesting… So tell us, Alt. What do you normally eat?

Whatever I find lying around. Mushrooms, grass, tree roots.

What?! You’re joking, surely? You can’t live on that! Are you some sort of survivalist?

No, but…

Very well. I’ll bring you a delicious meal the next time we come over.

You don’t have to bother. So long as I don’t collapse, it doesn’t matter what I eat.

B-but…

Alt, give it up. Once she goes into stubborn mode there’s no reasoning with Lydie.

Very well. If that is the case, I’ll look forward to it.

Yes! Hehe, what would be good? I’ll give you the best meal of your life!

Sue… It can’t be easy having her as a sister.

Not all the time, no… Ha… haha…

I think you’ll love some meat! But we don’t have enough on hand to do this meal justice, so… we’ll be back shortly!

You whipped that up in a flash, huh, Lydie?

Right! Now, we mustn’t keep Alt waiting…

A Willingness to Help

Alt! We’ve got some delicious food for you!

Hi. This does look good. Is this really alright?

Of course! Eat until you’re stuffed, please.

Very well. Mmm… Thank you. That really was delicious. …How long has it been, I wonder, since I last ate this well? Three years? No… longer than that.

T-That long? You really don’t care what you eat, do you?

That’s no good, Alt! Food is where your energy comes from. You need to eat more!

When we’ve been short on money, we’ve had to go without proper food as well, sometimes… It wasn’t easy.

I understand. I’ll pay a bit more attention in the future. You are very kind, though… Helping out someone you don’t even know, simply because he just moved here.

I’m not sure about that… I mean… We just can’t let you starve, Alt.

Yeah, you said it. You’ve clearly got no idea how to take care of yourself!

What? That’s not true. Not really. I can at least do housework.

No need to get defensive. If you need our help with anything, just let us know!

Cooking, washing, cleaning, anything! Lydie will handle it all!

Haha, that’s good to hear. I may well take you up on that offer. Anyway, I need to get back to my research. You take this and off you go.

“Ornament Catalogue” received.

It’s fine. You fed me well, so I want to thank you.

In which case, thanks very much! We’ll see you again soon, Alt!

Alt has acquired the skill “Unbridled Curiosity”.

Unbridled Curiosity - Increase maximum MP.

Home we go, home we go! Let’s see what’s in this catalogue!

Hmm… I wanna try making a Gnade Ring!

Feh! We still don’t really have any good traits to work with…

But we can make do with these!

The runes on the ring represent power, protection and agility. So… one for Alt, and one for Firis…

Agh, I’m totally shot! See you in the morning…

The next day, at the Gates of Merk…

Haah, haah, Uwah. My lungs are burning!

The Travails of a Knight

Yeah. I’m just going through a few things with my superiors.

Superiors? You mean in the knights?

Yeah. The Captain and Vice-Captain.

Wow, the top brass! I’m impressed that you get to be trained by them!

I’m royalty, after all. But they certainly don’t hold back! The captain teaches me the sword, but he’s strict as you can imagine! A single mistake and he hits me with everything he’s got!

Uwah!

The Vice-Captain seems charming enough, but she’s incredibly strong! She hammers me like an anvil, every training session!

Uwah! It’s tough being a knight, huh. I could never do it.

It’s extreme, that’s for sure. Training everyday is harsh. But the knights exist to protect the people. I think I can put up with a bit of training.

Wow. That’s an impressive attitude to have.

Yes, very noble! Your strength is the result of all this training, Mathias!

Hey! What’s with that face, as though you’re expecting something bad to happen?

Yeah! We’re just being nice to you! Come on, Sue, let’s go.

…That was a shock. I guess they’ve finally accepted me. I’m not done for today yet, anyway! Just you wait, Julio, Shanon! I’m going to defeat you next time!
So yeah, if you played Sophie and/or Firis’ home games, they aren’t the only ones who’ve been moving up in the world! Anyway…

Mathias has acquired the skill “Knight’s Pride”.

Knight’s Pride - Increase ATK when HP is below half.

Let’s go to the tent! It’s right there, and besides, there’s never a dull moment in there between Firis and Sophie and Plachta.

Plachta. Can I discuss this recipe with you?

Yes. Of course. Hmm… I see your problem.

Sophie’s Family

But Sophie looks older than her… Odd, isn’t it? I wonder what the story is…

Girls, you should try to gossip more quietly. You do realize we can hear everything?

Uwah, sorry!

Hahaha, I can understand why you want to know about us.

We are best friends, yet teacher and student. And family, though we are not blood-related.

I lived with my grandma, but then she suddenly passed away… I lived alone for a while after that, and then I met Plachta.

There have been twists and turns along the way, but I’ve been with Sophie ever since.

Yes! Like what Sue is to me…

And what Lydie is to me. As important as that!

That’s right. To me, Plachta is completely irreplaceable.

Irreplaceable! How lovely!

Hehe, you two have a great friendship! Thanks for sharing that with us.

Mmm… it really made our day! Anyway, we’ll see you around!

Why? It’s the truth, after all. I don’t want to lose you, Plachta!

…You’re still just a big child, aren’t you?

Sophie has acquired the skill “Wisdom of Alchemy”.

Wisdom of Alchemy - Increase power when using tools. (Items? Nice Q/A KT)

Later that day…

Uwah, another hard day of training, done! Now then! I’ve wanted to ask her for a while, and I can’t hold it in any longer!

Mathias picks up Sophie

Hey, Mathias. What brings you to my atelier?

Not you, I’m afraid. I’m here to see Sophie.

Yes. I’d like to get to know you better. We’re around the same age, too. How about we grab a lunch together?

Ah… sure. I don’t mind… I think? Hahaha.

Hold on. What’s with the scary faces, you two?

Sophie will take any invitation she is given. So we have to protect her.

That’s why, Mathias, we are declining your offer on her behalf!

Hahahaha. Sorry? About all this…

Firis? I’m looking for someone a little older, I think?

Ah, but taking Firis out on a date is even less allowed! Just shut up and leave!

Uwah, where’d you spring out from?! I’ll find no victory here! Retreat! Retreat!

Ah, you scared him off! Come on, you three, I think that was a bit mean.

Not at all. It’s our job to drive off anyone with designs on you, Sophie.

That’s right! Everyone’s hitting on you all the time, it’s not fai… I mean, it’s dangerous!

I’ll keep you safe, Firis!

…I know you’re thinking about me. Apart maybe from Liane. But do I seem so untrustworthy? So insecure? So unsafe? Hmm, this is complicated…

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Dammit, now's when you sneak into the basement while your dad's out! Where's your youthful curiosity? Where's your teenage rebellion?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Say what you want about Roger but he at least had the good sense to lock the twins out of the basement at the end of chapter 1 and take the key with him before running away from home :colbert:

in all seriousness I'm not going to comment further, since that subplot is going to come back with a vengeance very soon

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Glazius posted:

Dammit, now's when you sneak into the basement while your dad's out! Where's your youthful curiosity? Where's your teenage rebellion?

He locked it up!

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Part 8-4: Those Who Can

Now then! What mischief shall I get up to today?

Con and Crisis

Sue, Sue! I’ve got a new request for synthesis!

Ah! Lydie, well done! What is it for?

We need to deliver ten portions of this medicine. Here’s the note.

Hah, that’ll be easy… L-L-L-Lydie! Look at this!

Uwah, you walked into this one, Lydie! There’s a penalty if we don’t deliver, too!

Wah, I’m sorry, Sue! W-What should we do?

What do you think?! Do the best we can in the time we have available!

S-Sophiiiie!

W-Whatever is the matter? You’re paler than a Puni! Tell me, what’s going on?

Someone gave me a request for synthesis. She told me ten portions of medicine by tomorrow, and handed me this note… saying a hundred by tomorrow! And we have to pay a penalty if we don’t finish the job…

I see. Whoever gave you this job is a bit of a sneaky one…

Come on, Lydie! No need for the waterworks! This would have caught me out too, I’m telling you.

But… but…

Alright. Girls. Will you lend me your cauldron and some materials?

Whuh? Uh, sure thing!

Now then. Materials, materials… This, and this. Mix them together!

What? You’re joking! You did all that in an instant?

Yep. There’s a hundred there, but you should probably count them, just in case. Make sure you check the fine print from now on. You’ve got a delivery to make, anyway!

Hmm… Wow! T-There’s really a hundred of them! Amazing! Sophie is just amazing!

How cool was that?! I want to be just like her when I grow up! …Hey! We need to deliver these, now! Come on, Lydie! Let’s go get paid!

Hahaha, yes!

They find their client, but…

…What do you mean you don’t have our payment?! Feh! Thanks for nothing!

Uwah… was this all just a cruel prank?

Grr… Let’s beat it, Lydie!

After they get home…

To The Letter

An alchemy question? Yeah, I dunno what Sophie did, but-

Not about that. Something more simple. The recipe says to add the materials like this, but why do you think that is?

Why? Because the materials fight, surely?

Excuse me?

Because if you put this one in first, this one gets all crabby and upset, right? That’s why you have to put this one in first.

Ah, I see! Their properties conflict, so you have to follow the recipe!

Yeah, that’s it! Conflicting properties!

Interesting. You don’t remember the terminology, but you understand the process.

Hold on. You’re not saying I’m at some kind of disadvantage here, are you?

Not at all! You just explained something very difficult to me! I’m impressed. Still, though… I’m not going to lose to you, Sue!

Them’s fighting words! I won’t lose to you either, Lydie!

Haha! In which case, you can start by learning all the proper lingo.

Eh…? I’d rather not…

Hehe! Guess I win this round, then!

Bleeh!

Still though… we needed Sophie to save us earlier. So we’ve still got a lot to learn. So… why don’t we pay Ilmeria a visit?

Sure thing! Race you there!

Eeeeh?! Wait up!

Hmm, what to do… Lydie is one thing, but Sue…

Teaching Style

Oh, you heard that? I was just thinking about the best way to teach you. Thinking about the best way to help my students grow is a part of my job as your teacher, after all.

Uwah! You’re so incredible, Ilmeria, I don’t know what to say…

Incredible, you say? Actually, recently I’ve been thinking about what kind of teacher I should be.

What kind? No, wait… a kind of teacher?

Well, my teacher was also my father. He was very, very strict. Of course, I improved and matured a lot, thanks to him. But it was also very difficult. So I’ve been trying to find an approach that differs from the one my father took.

I see. I hadn’t really considered the need to be a “kind” of teacher before.

Nor I, until now. So that’s why I want to ask you two… What do you both think of me? Do you think I’m doing well as your teacher?

T-That was a little too smooth. You don’t have to worry about my feelings…

We’re not. You’re so kind, and you always listen to our problems.

You explain things clearly, and help us with so much. You really are a great teacher!

Girls!

Ah! And more importantly, you’re so cute!

Hahaha! That’s right! That’s very important!

Hehehe… you’re even cuter when you’re pouting!

You might be right, Sue. Hey, this feels more like we’re becoming friends, doesn’t it?

…You continue to underestimate me, girls! I’m going to teach you how fearsome I am!

W-What?! That’s not fair!

I think that’s one of your flaws, Ilmeria!

Silence! Students must listen to their teacher! Come on, move!

Ah, we just got a bit carried away! We’ll apologize! Forgive us!

Ilmeria has acquired the skill “Hard Work’s Reward”.

A new Combination Art for Firis and Ilmeria “Crimson Treasures” is unlocked.

Hard Work’s Reward - Increase Follow-up Skill damage.

Uwah… maybe we pushed her a bit too far this time, Sue…

Hey, at least she let us off the hook in the end! Now! I think we’ve got some shopping to do on Soleil Street…

To Each Their Own

Hey, it’s Firis. Is she out shopping?

Just a little more! 850! Please? Come on!

:eng99: Okay, okay! I can’t resist your passion! Here you go, 850 Coll. No one else is going to buy this, anyway. Go ahead!

Great! Heheh, thank you!

Haha, you saw that? Something I was taught. The best way to make a purchase is with a discount!

Y-Your methods seem a bit rough, though! What were you buying, anyway?

Hahaha! A really cute toy.

Cute? I want to see it! Can I take a look?

Hmmm. Alright. Just for you, Sue. Ta-dah!

Sure did! I’ve loved this character for ages. I buy one whenever I see it! Heheh, those big round eyes and vivid colors. So charming! I can’t take my eyes off it!

Ha…haha. I think Firis’ views on cuteness…

Yeah. They’re a bit different from ours.

Right! Your name is “Googly No. 6”! Come on, let’s go home and take a nap, Googly!

Firis has acquired the skill “Carefree Girl”.

Carefree Girl - Increase ATK and reduce damage taken from an enemy 3 levels or more higher than you.

Heheh… you go ahead and do that, Firis…

(Lots of) Jobs and Jealousy

:blush: I couldn’t! I just couldn’t! Just give me a little longer…

I wonder. Maybe he knows? Well… there’s only one way to find out! Alt! We’re coming i-

Alt, hello. Why do you look so exhausted?

You’re not hungry again, are you?! That’s no good! I’ll make you something right away!

I’m tired, yes, but I’m not hungry. I’ve been inundated with work recently, that’s all.

Wow, I’m jealous! What have you done to attract it all?

Jealous?! There’s nothing to be jealous of, I assure you. You see… Oh, no!!

:swoon: Alt, baby! Ah! He’s really here!

N-No, I can’t! I’m too busy to take any more…

:blush: Come on, do this favor for me! Here’s the request! I’ll be counting on you!

:swoon: Ah, I’ll leave mine here for you too. Bye-bye!

T-That was one-sided! Is that…

Yes, that’s why I’m getting so much work. Look at this.

“Alt, the handsome young alchemist who’s the talk of the harbor. A special on this cool and…”

That’s enough of that. So it’s an article on you, and it even says where your atelier is.

I don’t know who wrote it, but I’ve been swamped with women everyday since.

Huh. Good for you, Alt. Spending every day surrounded by girls.

It’s not good at all! You try getting this much work! It’s soul-crushing! …What’s more, I hate this kind of attention. I just want to be left alone.

I can see you’re having a problem, but I don’t think there’s much we can do to help.

Uwah, this is absurd! What did I do to deserve this?!

You’ll be fine. Just fine. I’m sure you’ll be enjoying yourself before you know it. …Let’s go, Sue.

Wait, Lydie?! Uh… Best of luck, Alt!

Sigh…

An All-Alchemist Party…?

Hey. You’re distracting me. Go away.

Come on, I’m not getting in the way. I want to learn about alchemy too!

Why? You’re not an alchemist.

Think about it. Everyone adventuring with Lydie and Sue is an alchemist, aside from me!

Now that you mention it, that’s true.

It’s cramping my style! Not to mention I spend every day surrounded by bombs! That’s why I’m here, Alt. I want you to teach me alchemy!

Why me? Although, I guess sometimes a miracle can happen. You never know. …Very well. As a special favor to you, we’ll start from the basics. First… Here’s some materials. Let’s start you off with making medicine.

Just chuck em in and start mixing right? Alright! Here we go!

Wai-

Oh dear…

I’ll get it right this time!

Y-Yeah, that’s the spi-

Wait, what’s with this stench… uwaaaaah!

So it turns out as expected. No miracle here. Mathias, you’ve got no alchemy talent at all. Not even a glimmer of something we could work with. I mean, absolutely zero potential at all. Nothing.

Gaaah! Rub it in, why don’t you!

Basic ability plays a large part in alchemy, after all. You need to give up and do whatever it aaaaaaaaagh!

:blush: Oh look, another hunk of man stuff! But I still prefer Alt!

Gah! H-Hey! Help me, Mathias!

So I’ve got no alchemy talent at all, and he also gets all the ladies? Seriously?

Come on! You might not be an alchemist, but be optimistic! You can use a sword really well!

No, you’re just saying that. I’m nothing. A Puni. The king of rotten Puni, that’s all!

:swoon: A-L-T! Baby! I’ve got a request for you, honey! Are you ready for my request? Do you accept it?

Sigh… Enjoy yourself, Alt. I can’t take this…

Later that day…

… Hey.

What’s up? You look pretty serious. Not thinking about learning alchemy again, I hope?

Alt’s ONE WEIRD TRICK For Pickups

You… you really aren’t serious, right?

No, seriously!

…You are so stupid, I don’t know where to start!

Come on, help me out! I think I’m pretty handsome, right? So why do the women all prefer you? Why? Tell me!

Do I have to spell it out? It’s just a matter of character.

What?! You’re making me mad now! Even I’ll get mad at a comment like that!

Just listen. The reason women like me is because they want a quiet, intelligent type.

Oh. That almost makes sense.

If you really want to become popular… there’s only one way to go. Right?

Y-Yeah…

If there’s anything I can do to help, I’ll do it. Let’s both try our hardest, together!

Alt! Thanks so much for this! I’m going to be the talk of the town!

That’s the spirit, Mathias! Let’s get started at once! So here’s the secret to looking intellectual. A surefire way to pick up ladies…

Later…

Hey, Mathias. What are you doing in Alt’s atelier?

Mathias? That is you, right? You seem different from normal…

What’s wrong? You’re actually making me feel all weird…

Sue. I don’t know what all of this is, but I can’t take it. Come on, let’s go.

Yeah. This creeps me out. Goodbye!

Well, that’s that…

Hey! Thanks for nothing. That didn’t work at all!

I noticed. Your complete lack of intellect made acting like an intellectual impossible for you. I was hoping you’d be able to take some of the heat off me, but I guess not…

Oh, you’re going to feel heat! When I get my hands on you, you’ll burn!

Hahaha! Come on, does it matter? I think you’re best when you’re just yourself! Although you’ll never be popular with the ladies! Hahaha!

GET BACK HERE!!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Not that I don't appreciate the Puni mask, but I feel like it's really distracting from the actual dorkier faces Mathias could be making.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Yeah maybe in the debrief I can post Mathias’ sparkling face without the Puni mask on

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Part 8-5: Rock and Reminiscence

The Scheme on Soleil Street

Yes, all ready. What about you?

Hehehe! Everything is ready!

Good! Now we can proceed to the final stage!

Excellent. I’m so looking forward to this!

You said it! Like fireworks and gunpowder!

…What can we do, Sue? I think we just saw something pretty crazy! I mean… Hagel and Pamela! The two of them together are more dangerous than a cauldron about to explode!

Well said. We didn’t see a thing. We don’t know a thing. Nope! Nothing! This never happened! We weren’t here! We were… in the garden!

Her Virtues and Flaw(s)

Good. I know it will work out. Just do your best!

Oh, that was love-related advice.

L-Love-related? Liane, have you started a new line of work?

No, silly. I’m just running my shop, as usual. Lots of people have been coming to ask for my advice recently. I’m not sure why.

I guess maybe because you’re so in control, and do such a good job running your business!

You’re cheerful and easy to talk to, as well. I bet that’s part of it!

What was that?

Ah, no, it’s nothing!

Anyway, it’s how you always give sound and cheerful advice. That’s why people come to you. Hehe. Just one of your many virtues, Liane!

I see. I guess I should be happy, then. …Thank you for listening to me. Here’s a little reward. I made them myself. I hope you like them.

Uwah! Delicious looking cookies! Thank you, Liane!

Hehe! We love you too, Liane!

Ah, how cute you are! Please come again anytime. I’m looking forward to it already!

Mmm… Liane sure makes incredible sweets!

She sure does! Psst… nice save there, Lydie! Anyway, now that we’re here, let’s drop into the tent…

Sure thing. …Oh? Hey, let’s sit back and watch for a bit…

Hey, Ilmeria, how are your folks doing?

Ah, not too bad. They keep saying they want to come by… it’s a little annoying.

The Atelier They Ran

Wah! That was a nasty thing to just come out and say. Why do you have to pick on me like that?

Hahaha, the two of you are such good friends. I bet having a best friend is great…

Hehe. Having friends you can rely on is important. That’s some advice from your teacher.

Teacher? That reminds me, I haven’t heard the details, but you two are Ilmeria’s students? Haha!

S-She’s laughing at us! Is there something wrong with that?

Nope, exactly the opposite. If Ilmeria is teaching you, you’re sure to become incredible alchemists.

You bet. They’re the students of the greatest genius super-wonderful alchemist of our times!

Hearing that puts a lot of pressure on us… We’ll do our best to meet your expectations…

Thank you. At least try to avoid becoming like Firis, always getting jobs wrong!

What? She’s done that?

We used to have an atelier together. Once, she mixed up bombs and gunpowder. Wow, it was bad.

I’m more surprised to hear you had an atelier together, actually!

Me too! Why don’t you still work together?

Oh… That’s…

Lydie, Sue. Help me make it. You’re not going to leave all the work to your teacher, are you?

Of course not! We’re coming!

Later…

Mmm, that tea hit the spot! Still though, Sue…

Yeah. Ilmeria cut us off pretty fast at the end, there. You want to get to the bottom of this, right?

You know me too well. Let’s drop by her atelier on our way home.

Oh…

Ilmeria? Not really sure how to say this…

Firis’ Conscience

Yes. We really want to know why you stopped running an atelier together.

It’s nothing too major, believe me. You know how she likes to travel, right?

Yes. It’s always been her dream, hasn’t it?

That’s right, all the way back to when she was little. Even when we had our atelier, I would see her looking sadly out of the window. So I told her that she should go and travel. That’s all.

I see. So you went your separate ways.

That’s right. I don’t want to travel, I want to run an atelier. Taking travel away from Firis would be like clipping a bird’s wings, so this is fine by me. …You stay out of this, though, girls. That’s an order from your teacher.

Alright. Thank you for telling us.

Sue? Do you want to feel the full power of my wrath? You’ll be ashes in seconds, of course!

Uwah! I was joking, just a silly joke! Hahaha!

Huh… A-Anyway, thanks for that, Ilmeria!

Maybe we shouldn’t press this matter any further, Sue. It sounds like Firis’ problem to deal with…

Fine… Hm? Lydie, do you hear something from the direction of the castle?

Oh? Yes. Something positively cacophonous…

Concert! At The Castle

:black101::byodood::byodame::corsair::pervert: Raaaah!

Hehehe! You over there, come and watch too!

What’s this? Isn’t that…

Come on! Are you having a good time?

:black101::byodood::byodame::corsair::pervert: Yeah!

If you aren’t, I’ll have to punish you!

:pervert: I want to be punished!

What is this? Someone, please, I need an explanation!

Here comes our first song!

We’re going to sing with all our hearts! Listen with all of yours! This song is called…

:byodood: That was incredible! I’m so pumped!

:black101: Yeah! When the big guy dived into the crowd, though, I thought I was going to get squashed!

:corsair: Hohoho! I was hoping that young lady would take a stage dive!

So this is what they were planning…

Yeah. A totally bizarre concert, right in front of the castle. Even crazier than I imagined!

Anyway… wanna slip behind the crowd and drop by the castle?

Sure thing… Oh? Look what we have here…

Their Perfect Older Sisters

Haaah…

Yeah right. I was just reminded of my sister’s superiority once again.

What do you mean?

She’s better than me in everything, and she has the right to take the throne. But she still wants me to take it! Could I even rule better than she can? No way! At least, I don’t think so. When I think about things like that, I sigh, and my will to take the throne just fades even more.

I see. So even you think about stuff like this, Mathias…

You bet I do. Having the near-perfect sister isn’t as great as it might sound!

Huh?

Yeah. Keep your head up, Mathias. I’m supporting you, as someone who shares your pain.

Haha, thanks. That means a lot.

His side? Sharing his pain? What are you talking about?

Hehe. You don’t need to worry about it, Lydie.

Yeah, you don’t need to worry at all. Hah, I bet that’s nice!

Excuse me…?

Thanks for this, Mathias. Anyway, Lydie, let’s go home. We’ve got some work to do.

Eh? Right, we do. Later, Mathias.

The next day…

Hey, Sue, remember the concert yesterday? Some perverted old man wanted Pamela to crowd surf… and that got me thinking of something to ask her. But I know you-

Sure. No problem. We can go right away!

Defense Mechanism

Will you become Head Sister, and lead this church into an even better future?

H-Head Sister? I wonder what Pamela will do?

Thank you for the offer, but I can’t accept…

Why? I know you’re perfect for this!

No, I don’t agree. I’m sure you can do a much better job, Grace! Look at Chloe, at Ines. Everyone holds you in such high regard! So please, you should remain the Head Sister. Alright?

I see… In which case, very well. I won’t say anything more about it. But you’ll still let me consult with you on the direction the church should take, of course?

Of course! You can leave that to me, no problem!

So she turned it down… but that was so cool!

Yeah! It really got me! I guess those 300 years make all the difference!

What? 300 years? Lydie, what are you talking about?

Excuse me? What are YOU talking about? Remember, she told us herself? Pamela’s a ghost…

Sue, don’t tell me… You’ve erased your own memory? …Human defense mechanisms at work. Honestly, I guess Sue is better off this way!

Hey, Lydie, want to collect some materials in the paintings?

Eh? Ah, sure!

Ah, twins! Perfect timing! I just found something really great in this drawer!

S-Something great? What is it?

Hehehe! Take a look!

The Marriage Certificate

That’s right! Mathias made this when we were kids!

You said something great, didn’t you?

You know what he’s like now, of course, but back then he was so cute! Kind, smart, and obedient. The perfect little brother. Ah, this takes me back!

I can’t really picture Mathias like that… Uwah, I don’t even want to try!

He said he wanted to make me happy, but of course as brother and sister we can’t really get married! So he promised that he’d become a fine king, and make all people happy, rather than just me. …I’m still hoping he’s up to the challenge, to be honest.

Mireille…

Ah, but don’t tell him about this. He’ll get all carried away again if he hears this.

Hahaha, that’s true. It will just be our secret, then!

Hehe, right!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I don't know how it happened, but somehow a hair-metal concert just became the next logical step in Hagel's life.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Look, palling around with Pamela just... broadened the man's horizons :colbert:

Anyway, I recorded everything through the end of chapter 8; the end of the week should have the C Rank exam, and plenty of painting stuff. Plenty.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Part 8-6: Defending the Paintings

The reputation of our atelier has improved again. I think maybe we’re ready to take the next exam…

A Familiar Routine

It’s been too long since I last heard you say that, Lydie! Let’s get going!

Mireille!

Interesting. Your reputation has grown quite a lot. I think you might be ready for the exam. So… What do you think? Do you want to try the next Promotion Test?

Yeah! Let us at it!

Gladly. Now then… Here you go! Your exam to reach C Rank is here!

Black monsters? The ones in the Paintings?

I haven’t seen them myself, so I can’t say for sure. You probably have a better idea than me. Everyone has been talking about being attacked by large black monsters when inside the paintings.

Hmm, just what are they? They seem to be able to appear anywhere inside the paintings.

Don’t ask me! For the safety of the other alchemists, though, we need you to do this!

The Ubiquitous, Enigmatic Monsters

A-Alright… then let’s get to it! But where should we start…?

Hmm… let’s start with the first Painting we investigated. The Spooky Forest.

Eh?! Why th… you know what, fine. Let’s go!

Hmm… Black monsters… I don’t see any yet.

I guess they’re much deeper in the Painting, then?

Well… we’ll see them when we see them.

We didn’t see any at all in the Eerie Trail… maybe we’ll find them in this section of the forest?

Yaaaaargh! I hope those black monsters show up soon, because I’d rather fight a thousand of them than even see another ghost in here!

At this rate, we probably won’t see them until we’re in the very deepest depths of the Spooky Forest. So…

Still no sign of them… do you think Mireille might have gotten false reports?

Look on the bright side, Sue… we don’t have much more of the forest left to explore. We’ll know sooner rather than later.

Here we are! The place where Lucia got cursed by those… hey!

Hmm, let’s see…

Sue, Firis! You can do the needful!

Hehe, gladly!

Right, that’s the first of them! I think this is all going to work out.

We’re experienced painting travelers, after all! Let’s move on to the next one!

Next up… the Luminous Ice Grotto!

Same as with the Spooky Forest… we made it through the entire first section of this Painting with none of those black monsters in sight.

So let’s see if we’ll find them in the deepest depths of this one.

Hehe, you mean where that dragon froze Lucia solid?

That happened not long after we first came here, remember? We’re talking much, much deeper…

Here, then. The clearing where we beat that dragon.

That’s the second one! Keep it up!

The Great Cascades… I bet we’ll find the black monsters in the fire dragon’s den!

You mean the Merimer Depths?

Merimer, whatever, let’s go!

Phew, that’s the third one. Just what do you think these monsters are?

Nope, no idea. They are just so black, aren’t they!

B-Bugs? Hey, don’t say that! Ugh, I’m starting to hate them now!

Hahaha, I’m sorry, Sue.

Seriously, you now I hate bugs. Shall we go and report back to Mireille?

That’s one option, but I bet there are others in the paintings we haven’t been to yet.

Good point. I guess either way is fine, then. But you know…

Yeah. Mireille always rewards us for going the extra mile. So let’s take care of the rest!

So next up is the Frozen Palace. The monsters will probably be in Neige’s Atelier… but it’ll be a huge pain navigating all the twists and turns!

Don’t say that just yet, Sue. Maybe another door will have opened up since we were first here.

Bingo!

That’s the fourth one! Where haven’t we been yet? Do you remember?

Well… I only see only one painting left in the gallery!

And we’ll probably find the black monsters in the captain’s final treasure vault!

Yes! Defeated it! I think we’ve been around all the Mysterious Paintings, too!

Me too. That should be enough, I’m sure. Let’s go and report to Mireille.

A New Rank and Venerable Painting

It’s time to announce my evaluation!

:siren:Flower stamp condition:siren: : Kill them all :black101:

Great work! This bumps both of you up to C Rank!

One thing, Mireille. About the exam this time. I think we need to be careful of the black monsters. We beat them and beat them and they just kept on coming back. I really didn’t like them.

I see. Thank you for your input, it’s appreciated. I will let everyone know to be careful. …Right then! It’s time for the fun part. The next painting is ready and waiting!

Ah…

Lydie? Are you hearing a voice from a painting again? It’s been a while since that happened…

Hahaha, I know. Mireille, what kind of painting is it this time?

It’s already hanging in the gallery. We’ll talk about it there.

The twins follow Mireille to the gallery, where they find…

Yes, yes, I know what you’re getting at! I know what this is! It’s the painting that was used to seal Falgior in the Legend of the Thunder God, isn’t it? So, after Falgior came back out into the world, the painting was left behind for us to use!

Wow! Sue, you’re on fire! So this is like, the granddaddy of the Mysterious Paintings!

Ah, sorry for cutting your excitement short, but that’s all totally wrong!

What?

We did find the painting Sue was talking about, but for some reason it was just a blank canvas. Perhaps it was because Falgior was inside it for so long… But restoration was impossible.

Aaaaah! I’m so embarrassed!

Don’t worry about it. This painting, “Etel Nepica”, is also legendary in many ways!

Our past? So we can see Sophie and Firis when they were younger?

Hey, me too! I’d love to see them back when they just started!

Hehe, I’m glad to see you so interested. You can start with the Restoration, twins.

Now there’s something else we haven’t heard in a long time! Now, Lydie…

Right with you, Sue!

Oof… Corneria sure took her cut of our loot money.

I guess it comes with the territory of being skilled alchemists who can make these stronger, higher-quality bombs. We’ll have to be more calculating about what we use out there.

You said it. Anyway, let’s start synthing the paints!

One of those Snow Queens from the Morrakis Range, some water, some oil, and some hidden power…

And voila! Now, for the Restoration…

A Trip Down Memory Lane

Yes! I can’t wait to see everyone as kids!

Hahah! And I can’t wait to see you as a bedwetting little baby, Sue!

I hardly ever wet the bed! It’s Lydie you want to talk to about that!

H-Hold it! Stop that line of thinking right there!

Our past selves? I wonder how far back it will show us.

I was wondering that myself. I wonder if I’ll be able to see my grandma?

Come on! We’re going, Sue! And I stopped doing that when I was five, too, just so you know!

Hahaha, sorry! Come on then! Time for a trip through time!

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Part 8-7: Painting Travelers and Time Travelers

A World of Bygone Days

Music: Fragments of that Day -Lydie-

So this is “Etel Nepica” … I don’t see anyone from the past yet, though?

Wow, this takes me back! So this is how it shows us the past!

Hahaha, Lucia has fallen over and she’s crying! Once a crybaby, always a crybaby!

Huh! You’re one to talk! All you ever did was trail around behind Lydie yourself! “Lydie-e! Wait for meee!” You have to remember that, right?

I do. You really were so cute back then, Sue.

S-Stop bringing up ancient history! Lucia, you in particular!

Hahaha! You’ve been good friends for a long time, obviously.

Ah, it’s gone. Hehe, still… Seeing our tomboy Sue as a timid child! That was quite unexpected.

I know everyone has an unexpected side, but such a timid Sue was indeed surprising to see.

I can’t wait to see all the embarrassing things from your past, Mathias! And you, Alt! Get ready! You’ll be howling at me to forget it, but it’ll all be too late by then!

She’s still such a child! Let’s carry on, anyway.

Say, Alt. I’m starting to get worried over here. I’m not going to end up all embarrassed, am I?

Don’t ask me. You shouldn’t have said that stuff if you didn’t want it to come back on you. …Still, though…

Hmm…

Music: Fragments of that Day -Suelle-

Ah, an oasis!

Nice, refreshing water! In a rugged desert like this painting world, you can’t have too much of it.

It goes without saying that this desert has sand as far as the eye can see… but have you ever heard the phrase “sands of time”?

Look at that crumbling shack over there. Hmm…

Come to think of it, remember those giant stone slabs we saw sinking into the sand when we first entered this painting? The ones engraved with an ancient language?

Sure do. That writing doesn’t look like anything I’ve ever seen before. Like a language lost to the sands of time. It’s all fascinating… like the landscape of this world is littered with harbingers of days bygone. Things that can never come back. Just like the memories this world is full of…

Oh! Lydie, you might be onto something!

Right then, who’s up next for a trip down memory lane! Why don’t we see some of Mathias?

A Lifetime of Humiliation

Gah! Not this! Anything but this, seriously!

Is that just siblings fighting, or something more? Mireille really isn’t holding back, is she!

I know. That’s just the way she is. I just took one of her cookies, and look what happened…

Ah, well. Mireille does look like she’d be tough on that. You have my condolences.

Uwah, this is bad! All the trauma is coming back! I want to leave, but my sister is back there…

Are you alright, Mathias? You look pretty pale?

I think so. I didn’t realize having my past exposed would hurt quite so much.

Do you see now? How about some repentance?

Fine… I will never do anything like that again… Lady Sue!

Hey, Alt, don’t start laughing! Quit it, now!

Hehehe! Maybe your shameful past is next, Alt! Don’t get too comfortable!

Haha, I’m ready for anything… Lady Sue!

Gaaah! Just stand still! I’m going to blast you full of holes!

Ah, hold on, calm down! Sue, calm down!

Just what do they think they’re playing at?

Hahaha, I don’t mind! Everyone is having fun.

Hah! Come on, we’re carrying on! Hurry up or get left behind!

La Terre du Passé… what’s past is past, except in Etel Nepica! Hehe, are you ready for everyone to see your embarrassing past, Alt?

Best of luck with that!

Even more ruins! But these crumbling arches look more like remnants of a great civilization, rather than just a rotting shack from a frontier post.

What a bizarre tree! Why is it covered with giant clocks…?

Have you wondered once since entering why the sky is full of those floating orbs? Those are even more bizarre…

Up ahead! Another memory fragment!

Alt’s past! Come on, Alt’s past!

Alt’s past! Come on, Alt’s past!

Beginnings of the Mysterious Journey

Hahaha… hey, look! Here it comes!

That’s when you asked me to take you as my student, Firis. It feels like ages ago!

It was pretty sudden, thinking back on it now… I just turned up and asked to be your student!

It was sudden, for sure, but your feelings came across clearly. I wanted to do whatever I could to help you, and, as a result, I found myself the cutest student!

Miss Sophie…! I’m so happy to be your student!

This world really is interesting! It’s fun learning about everyone’s pasts.

That’s right! Can we have a do over? Do over!

What! I do have some embarrassing moments, but I’d rather not share them with you! Hahaha!

Right. Like the incident with the collapsing cupboard, or the time you forgot to wear a skirt.

Uwah, don’t tell them!

Sorry, Miss Sophie! But at least it’s better than everyone here seeing them…

I didn’t tell you yet, did I. You aren’t going to get an easy look at my past.

Hah! That’s what you say now! Let’s carry on and see Alt’s past right away!

Promise and Revelation

:ghost: Oh… isn’t… been…

Hey! Did you just hear something? Something I think I’ve heard before!

Oh! Will Alt’s past finally be revealed? Hahaha! Are you ready for this?

No, it doesn’t seem like it’s my past. Over there, look.

Thanks, but my father still didn’t accept me. My brother will be his successor, I believe.

Huh. And you’re alright with that? You’ve been working hard for so long, right?

Yes, but… it’s no good! My father simply doesn’t care, no matter what I do!

Hey! Don’t give up before you even try! Being alive means never giving up! You’re a man, right? So make him accept your abilities!

Make him…? But how?

How, indeed… Alright! I’ve got an idea. Go independent, and become the greatest alchemist in the kingdom!

The greatest…? In the kingdom…? Ha…haha! You have the most incredible ideas, don’t you!

You think so? I don’t think this is too crazy. I think you can do it, too.

Very well. My mind is made up. I’m leaving home and will become the greatest in the kingdom! In which case, I need to start over. About that… Will you come with me, Honnete? I promise to make you happy!

Yes… So that was the past of our mom and dad? But what does it mean…?

If all of that was true, it means… Dad is a certified alchemist…?!

I don’t know! It’s all so confusing… but if we carry on maybe we can see the rest.

Yes! Let’s go. I want to know more about the past of our parents! Still though… Dad? Of all people? A certified alchemist like Ilmeria and Firis and Sophie? That’s the most shocking thing I’ve ever heard! It’s actually unbelievable…

Everything else we’ve seen in here so far has really happened, though. So I don’t doubt that it’s true.

La Terre de l’Origine, huh… How poetic that that’ll be the land where Lydie, Sue and I will learn everything about Roger and Honnete. Come on, you two!

You don’t have to tell us twice!

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 12, 2019

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Seems like a nice light break from everything we've been doing so far. So why do I feel like poo poo's about to get extremely real?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Yeah the reveal that Roger has been a certified alchemist all this time is a pretty big bombshell. He's got the same certification that Sophie, Firis and Ilmeria have; even if he's certainly not as powerful as those three are, finding out that he busted his rear end and earned that certification flies in the face of everything you've come to believe about him from all of his screentime up to this point.

So that all makes you (and the twins) wonder, what happened to make him the way he is now? The twins are about to find out very soon. (As in, next week's update to wrap up the chapter.)

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Etel Nepica seriously has the catchiest, most stuck-in-your-head song in the whole game. The xylophone just repeats, over and over, forever. That painting should have a warning label on it

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

nrook posted:

Etel Nepica seriously has the catchiest, most stuck-in-your-head song in the whole game. The xylophone just repeats, over and over, forever. That painting should have a warning label on it

And there's something wistful about the painting's song too; something which captures the ghost of days long bygone.

Though for paintings and painting music and this game in general, I still think the best is yet to come, so stay tuned and bear with me folks

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Part 8-8: Promises From Their Youth

Just look at this sword! Could we get Mathias to use it?

Sue! Sue!

Right, I’m coming!

Like Parents, Like Daughters

I know! I’m not sure I liked us being called Minion A and Minion B, though. …Whole worlds inside these Mysterious Paintings… They’re like a dream!

I know! So where to next? A burning river of magma, or a freezing cave of ice? Oh, what about that forest full of ghosts? Hmm, I can’t make up my mind!

Hold on! You’re planning on taking your pregnant wife somewhere so dangerous?

Hahaha, don’t worry! I’ll protect you. I promise.

Very well. Protect us all, my beloved.

Right. But they were just talking about Backen. How do they know about the Mysterious Paintings?

Could it be, our parents also traveled through the Mysterious Paintings?

Ah! That’s why Dad knows so much about them!

In any case, let’s carry on. We might find out something new.

There’s probably something else at the pass to our northeast. …Hmm, this giant cog in the sand…

Like something you’d find in a clock, right? More sand, crags, crumbling buildings, and large unreadable stone slabs as far as the eye can see… Oh!!

He Who Always Keeps Promises

Hahaha! She doesn’t hold back, does she! She’s going to be a real terror when she’s bigger.

She already is! Her sister has a clever face, though. I guess she takes after me… owww!

I don’t think she likes the sound of that. Seems pretty clever to me!

That’s just mean… Say, Honnete. I want to promise you…

Promise? For…?

I’m going to make our atelier into the greatest one in the kingdom. We all will, together, as a family. I’ll teach the girls alchemy, we’ll handle the customers, and run the greatest atelier together.

Hehe, that sounds lovely! That’s a promise, then.

Yes, a promise. With you two little darlings, too!

Ah, they both look so happy! We can’t break this promise then, can we…

Of course not. Or this next one! Once they get old enough, let’s all travel the Paintings together! I bet they’ll really love it! Worlds like nothing they’ve ever seen, spreading before them!

Hehe, that’s another promise then. But I have to ask… Are you sure about this? Making all these promises?

Yes, positive! I’m a man who always keeps his promises, after all!

You’re just going to come out and say it, huh! You’re not wrong, though. I wouldn’t be with you if that wasn’t the case. …Remember that, Lydie, Suelle.

“The greatest atelier in the kingdom”… Look how motivated Dad was!

No, that can’t be the case. There must be some other reason! Sue, let’s carry on further. That’s the only way to find out what happened to Dad.

We better find something soon, because it looks like there isn’t much left of Etel Nepica to explore, period!

Hmm… maybe we’ll find something to our left?

Hey, there’s this treasure chest!

Alberich… an enhancing agent, and an insect…

Uwaaaaaah! You hold onto it, Lydie!

Oh, Sue…

I guess this is it, then…

Please, “Etel Nepica”! Show us more of Dad’s past!

From Despair, Hope

One of those giant black monsters… You aren’t going to stop us!

Music: disorder in order

As expected, this thing is pretty beefy…

Let’s give this thing a whirl!

Wow… I really repainted the battlefield…!

Incredible…! Now, as for you…

…Out of our way!!

Here we go!

Woohoo! V for Victor- wait, that’s all it took?

And the scenery around us is changing back to where we were, in the deepest depths of Etel Nepica! But…

Bah! This isn’t what we want. We need to see the rest of our family’s past!

Spiral Fragments received.

Don’t give up just yet, girls. …Above us. Look.

This is…

…No!!

Please! We want more time with you!

You will be fine. You have your father, girls. …Promise me, come on. The three of you are going to have the greatest atelier in all the kingdom…

Yes, we promise! That’s what we’ll do!

Me too! Please! Mom!

Good… girls…

No… no, NO! Dammit! Why…?! Why did this happen?! I’ve made this medicine so many times! I’ve healed this sickness so many times! So why? Why now? Why her?! Why couldn’t I do it when it mattered the most?! Certified alchemist? Greatest atelier? What’s the point if I can’t save the woman I love!!

I had no idea… We’ve lived with him all this time, and I never knew this…

Lydie… Oh, Sue…

But I also saw how much Roger cried for me, how deeply he felt for me… I think my time here is up, anyway. I need to get back to my world…

What? Was that Mom’s voice?

You’ve grown up so much, though! This isn’t you in the past! Which means…

…Mom? Is that really you?!

What just happened?! Did we… imagine that? That was Mom! She recognized us!

Right! I pinched my cheek and it hurt! This isn’t a dream!

Ah! People who’ve been inside painting worlds leave parts of their soul inside after they die!

Right. If what we just saw really is the past, Mom and Dad traveled the worlds of the Paintings. In which case, it’s more than possible! A fragment of Mom’s soul could definitely still be here!

Hold on, hold on a moment! You know what this means? The woman we saw in the painting in our basement. That must have been Mom, after all! It must be!

That’s possible! She said she needs to “get back to my world”. Does that mean she’s inside…

Lydie!

I’m with you, Sue!

Let’s go! To the basement… to the place where it all began!

Lydie has acquired the skill “Philanthropic Mind”.

Philanthropic Mind - Increase the Recovery effects of Follow-up skills.

To The Places Where They Began

I’m so sorry, Mireille! We’ll talk later!

…Oh? What’s going here…?

But the door is locked. Should we synthesize a key?

I don’t see a keyhole! Gah! Let’s just blow off its hinges!

Sue, be care-

This door must be made using alchemy. Right?

A certified alchemist! Why does Dad only get serious when he’s making stuff to keep us out?

How long has it been since I last crossed this threshold? …I’m coming in, Brother!

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 12, 2019

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Chapter 8 debrief

Anyone remember the black paint monsters from the C Rank exam? Or the prospect of unveiling Alt’s past? Well uh, neither will the game for a good while since the main plot got really heavy really fast. And a lot to digest near the end. And it looks like Roger’s finally back in town, and he’s got a score to settle. But we’ll get to that at the end of this write-up.

But first off, since Chapter 8 begins with the reinstitution of the Atelier Ranking System, that means we’ve got ambitions again!

Consult this screen on how to make a symmetrical Lightning Bomb.” Having the (green) effect “Slightly Slow Movement” also unlocks Lightning Crystal, so you can go straight to making the most broken bomb in the game right after.

Lightning Flash and Lightning Strike are just the Extra Mixes for Lightning Bomb and Lightning Crystal respectively, so just have your anima ready. And a good bit of cash on hand, since Corneria will burn a hole in your wallet for expending an entire bomb therein.

Dwarf’s Rage being Alt’s first follow-up attack (called Dwarf Star’s Ferocity everywhere else in the game), triggered by having his frontline partner use an offensive skill.

Moving on, lots of memory fragments means lots of CGs! So, in the order the party witnessed them (and also, with Hagel and Pamela's concert)…

CGs
The Nun's Passionate Affection
The Crybaby and the Twins
A Past to Forget
The Apprenticeship Begins
Proposal
Tell Me Your Dreams
Promise for the Future
Parting
Lamentation

1.03 Scene:
Veterans of the Mysterious Journey
Herein, Firis and Ilmeria chat about the ultimate outcomes for the rest of the party in Atelier Firis so, yeah, :siren: obligatory Atelier Firis spoiler warning. :siren:

Location Notes and Memos:
Outskirts:

These grasslands are beautiful at night. They say the gods live here, so many people bring gifts for them every morning.

This snowy mountain is the tallest mountain near Merveille. Many people die here each year, so you need to make sure you’re well-prepared.

Mysterious Painting:

This amazing painting world can show you the past! It’s also known as a “Time of Uncertainty.” I’m always so excited to walk through it and see what past events await me.

Music:
Fragments of that Day -Lydie-
I felt that a certain feeling of speed would be needed to suggest fighting against the flow of time. I hope that you can sense their anticipation at being able to see their parents’ past in the music. (Yanagawa)

Fragments of that Day -Suelle-
No one likes the thought of having someone else see your own past. No one wants that humiliation. (Yanagawa)

Twin Birds Dancing in the Snow -Day-
For me, snow always brings to mind skiing. Around thirty years ago, skiing enjoyed a real boom in popularity here in Japan. I was still at junior high myself, but my adult sister used to get up early with her friends, pile into a four-wheel-drive and travel miles to the nearest ski field. I sometimes went with her… (continues) (Achiwa)

Twin Birds Dancing in the Snow -Night-
(Continued from previous) I got my first job about eight years later, and although the boom had subsided somewhat since then, skiing was still popular. The fact that I had all my own gear, despite my lack of sporting skill, is evidence of that. I only ever went a handful of times, and I can’t ski all that well now, but looking back it makes you realize the power of a social craze. (Achiwa)

disorder in order
This track is for the battle against the Remplir. It’s an instrumental arrangement of the track for the final boss. I tried to remain aware of the fact that this battle is against something of an “outsider” even in the world of the paintings, and deliberately chose an ostentatious rhythm track with sound effects and electric guitars to function at the composition’s core, and added more typical Atelier-style live instruments to play the melody. (Yano)
Black barred text has information you’re not quite supposed to be privy to just yet, so mouse over at your own risk. All you need to know is that this track plays for boss battles against Groblairs—the giant black monsters.

DEBRIEF debrief:
With their brief forced vacation over, the twins get back to the grind. So other beats return from before as well: the ranking system, ambitions, exams, and… Lydie hearing voices from paintings. From there, we get the painting for this chapter: an especially fantastical world where the twins can see memories from the past… setting up the opportunity for them to see their parents’ past. And what a past they saw! That their fuckup of a dummy-daddy is actually a certified alchemist (who got passed over for ownership of a certain other atelier in Merveille), that he and their mother traveled the Mysterious Paintings, and that dummy-daddy wasn’t just proficient enough to become a certified alchemist, but also highly motivated in making all these promises to their mother, including the very one that’s their raison d’être: to run the greatest atelier in the kingdom.

So this makes the twins wonder, what happened to make Roger the way he is now? It’s something which the game has hinted at, and now made explicit: he’s never been able to forgive himself for failing to save Honnete. But all isn’t lost, since it turns out that the twins saw these memories because Honnete’s soul happened to be in Etel Nepica. They realize that all this time, she’s been in the painting in the basement… but they can’t break in because Roger twin-proofed it.

Speaking of Roger, he’s finally back in town! But he didn’t return to his own atelier, but rather to Atelier Borthayre, declaring he’s coming in. To his older brother. Speaking of which, if you watched the first clip in 8-8, you might have noticed Lucia calling Roger and Honnete “ojii-sama” and “obaa-sama”—uncle and auntie. So uh… this is gonna go well for everyone involved!

Next chapter.

Oh right, since someone asked for Mathias to try his magical sparkle without the mask on…

Finally, you know how Sue throws a fit when you have her catching bugs? Now, what about when she has to use them in synthesis?
BONUS: Sye synthesizes with bugs

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 12, 2019

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

You have to be impressed that Honette was doing all that traveling while pregnant with twins, and also explains why Lydie and Sue are Minions C and D.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Robindaybird posted:

You have to be impressed that Honette was doing all that traveling while pregnant with twins, and also explains why Lydie and Sue are Minions C and D.

It's a hell of a feat and a hell of a family legacy for sure!

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Part 9-1: Roger’s Challenge

The Battle Lines Drawn

I know… The next conditions have arrived, though. What do you think?

I’m wiped… We’ll handle that later. We’ve been up all night… I need some sleep!

Lydie! Sue!

Huh? What’s up, Lucia? We were just about to get some sleep…

There’s no time for sleep! Move it!

I’m awake now! What’s going on, Lucia?

Exactly what I just said! Your dad suddenly showed up at our atelier… and demanded that my father and I compete with him in alchemy! We tried…

But he defeated you easily?

Yes. Then he chased us out of the atelier!

Just what is he playing at?! Honestly! I’m sorry about all this, Lucia.

I’d love to make fun of you for losing to our dad, but we’ve been doing just that all night…

He was like a different man, seriously. We couldn’t do a thing. …It seems he really is a certified alchemist. My dad said the same thing.

I see. Lucia, is he still at Borthayre now?

Yes, most likely. You’re going to see and see him?

Of course! We’ve got lots of things to say, but first we need to chew him out for running off!

You said it! I’m going to be telling him off for three days straight! Let’s go!

Of course we have! Where have you been?! We were so worried!

So worried! And what are you doing to Lucia and her dad? Come on, let’s go back home!

I’m sorry for upsetting you, but I’m not going back with you.

Why not?! We’ve got so much we want to ask you, Dad!

You’re a certified alchemist, aren’t you? We saw you traveling the Mysterious Paintings, too!

We even saw you crying because you couldn’t save Mom! We understand so much more now!

Ah, “Etel Nepica”… Yes, everything you say is true.

In which case, let’s keep working at our own atelier! We can’t become the greatest without you, Dad!

Come on, come home! It’s too sad without you there.

…Lydie. Sue. I challenge you.

Challenge? What do you mean, challenge?

To see which of us can raise our Atelier Rank the fastest. I’ll raise Atelier Borthayre’s rank. You two raise the rank of your own atelier. The one who raises it faster is the winner.

Uncle! Please! This is all just too crazy!

Lucia. What is Borthayre’s rank at the moment?

What? C Rank, but… you aren’t seriously going to take this on, are you?

Yes, of course we will. We’re C Rank too, so the start line is the same. …Dad. If we win, you have to come back to our atelier. Understand?

Yes, very well.

We’ll see you soon, then. Don’t think you can beat us.

Lucia. We’re leaving.

Now then… let’s regroup in our own atelier.

You’re coming along too, right, Lucia?

I’m coming, I’m coming!

Yes. I’ll get ready to start synthesizing.

H-Hold on, you two! Are you really sure about this? He’s your father, and also a certified alchemist! And if you lose, you have to give up your atelier!

It’s alright. We aren’t going to lose.

What are you talking about?! There’s no guarantee you can win this!

But we’re going to. We have to.

There has to be some reason that our dad suddenly challenged us like this. We want to know why. That’s just another reason why we can’t afford to lose.

Alright… If you’re going to go that far, I will say no more. Just make sure you win, then!

Hehe, yes, yes, we know. Thank you, Lucia.

Ah, Lucia. You can stay here until this competition ends!

This is all our dad’s fault, after all. You can help out with the chores, of course.

What? Are you sure? A bit of washing up is nothing compared to sleeping outside! Thank you!

Good, that settles it. Now, time to get serious about beating Dad!

And this’ll help us along the way… our subsidy of 5000 Coll!

Only five thou… (You know what? I guess that is a small fortune as far as these two are concerned.)

I’m sure that some of the shopkeepers will have something that’ll help us along the way. So, let’s hit up Soleil Street after a short nap!

Friends from Kirchen Bell

Eh! Sophie, is that you?

What! Corneria?! Wow, it’s been ages! How have you been?

Well, I haven’t done much growing, but I’m fine. How are you doing, Sophie?

Hahaha, I’m fine. Plachta too, of course!

Ah, that’s lovely!

It is! By the by… You sound so polite, Corneria! Have you grown up a little?

Yes. I’m trying to be a bit more respectable. The old accent comes out every now and then, however!

First things first! We need more… oh?

Hello, Sophie. Are you doing some shopping at Corneria’s store?

Hehehe, renewing old friendships, actually! Corneria and I have been friends for a long time!

We come from the same town. We’ve even went adventuring together.

Wow, that’s unexpected! The world is a smaller place than I thought!

Hehe, I guess you could say that. I’m happy to see Corneria again. …Say, Corneria. Have you found your father yet?

No, not yet… But my shop is still getting bigger.

Yeah, the Corneria Enterprise! I know all about it! You’ve been working so hard, haven’t you?

Not that hard, haha! What about you, Sophie? You became a certified alchemist, yes?

Yep, I totally did! I’m totally certified, from head to toe!

I see! …Back home, Monika, Elise and a few of our friends were complaining about you never even visiting. Monika even said she was going to head out herself and drag you back.

Uwah, I don’t like the sound of that! It has been awhile since I’ve been in Kirchen Bell, though… We’ve got so much to talk about! How about going for a drink?

Yes, I’d like that very much. I’m quite a hard drinker, though, so watch out!

Hahaha, sounds like it’s on now! See you later!

Corneria, you looked very happy!

Of course. The reason I can have this shop is because of Sophie! She hasn’t changed at all… she’s still so incredible! I wish I had half her conviction.

Hehe, I know! I want to be just like her, too.

Oh, and… I’m sorry, but I don’t have any Rubies ready yet. Come back in a few days!

Huh… okay…

Let’s go to Hagel’s next, Sue!

Hagel! Hagel!

Oh? Just try us, Hagel!

Oh… a book…

A very rare text, at that! You don’t come across this everyday! And I believe it’s got a recipe in it…

We’ll take it, Hagel! …Don’t give me that look, Sue! New recipes will come in handy to one-up Dad!

Feh… when you put it that way…

1280 Coll, then… Thanks! Come again soon!

Mmm… Hey, Lydie, if we’re gonna be putting our noses to the grindstone, we oughta stock up on sweets. They’ll come in handy when we need a break, yeah?

You’re right, Sue! So…

Let’s visit Liane’s shop! She makes really good sweets!

:siren: Okay, so the forthcoming event is mildly spoilery for Atelier Firis. :siren: It doesn’t go so much as “here’s the plot of that game from start to finish”, so much as “here are things Firis did in her home game”. Still though, better to err on the side of caution. Now…
Mmm… thanks for the sweets, Liane!

Sue, Sue! What shall we make after getting home?

Hmm, good question. A bomb or some medicine?

The Work of an Alchemist

…What? Suns? What are you talking about?

What do you think? A sun! Alchemists make small suns to melt snow, right?

No, we don’t! I don’t think that’s even possible! I wouldn’t even want to try doing that!

What, really? Firis used to do that… What about making ship parts, then? Merveille is close to the water, so you must do that?

No! Ships are made by shipbuilders!

Huh? What about items to restore a broken bridge in an instant, then? An instant bridge item?

That’s not possible either!

Hahaha… You have a pretty confused of alchemy, Liane.

I-Is that so? I’ve been thinking alchemy was like magic, basically, all this time!

Hmm. Is this because Firis is a great alchemist, or because Liane is actually an airhead?

Hahaha, maybe a little of both!
Spoilers over!

Now then, let’s go home, Sue!

Learned Globe Ball recipe.

I know you spent the money, Lydie, but I just can’t…

Well, then… just lend me a hand with the synthesis!

Lucia! How’s the housework coming along?

Just fine. Glad you asked.

Some dye, some wood, and some paper…

Hmm… Twin Powers: Pair might be great if we can use this Globe Ball in a bomb. Now for the other ingredients…

And voila! But… I can’t think of any bomb we could use this in just yet…

Let’s move onto the next synthesis, then. …Oh!

Rivals, Childhood Friends, and…

Sure, no problem…

Lucia. I’d like to eat some fish tonight. Can you cook some tonight?

Sure, I can do that…

Ah, we’re out of tea! Lucia, can you go and buy some more?

Cleaning, washing, cooking, shopping! I’m not your maid!

Oh yeah? You’re living here rent free, Lucia! You said you could handle any chores, right?

Guwah…! You are letting me stay here, I know! Gah! This is all because your dad came and took over! Although I guess it’s more like him just coming home, really, isn’t it…

C-Coming home? Atelier Borthayre is Dad’s home? What do you mean?

What? You don’t know? Your dad Roger is my father’s younger brother!

What? Our fathers are related? They’re brothers?

…Seriously, you’re only just now finding this out? How is this possible?

Hold on, hold it! We have different surnames! Our surname is Malen, and yours is Borthayre!

Yes. He changed his name when he left home, I guess. His real name is Roger Borthayre.

Uwah, I’m getting a headache! So we are your cousins. Hmmm.

No need to sound happy about it! I’m off to get the groceries, anyway.

…We’re cousins with Lucia? I’m shocked, being related to such an airhead!

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 23, 2019

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I was going to joke about Roger actually just having found the invulnerable door and built the atelier around it, but dude probably could go mad with power and make a thing.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Glazius posted:

I was going to joke about Roger actually just having found the invulnerable door and built the atelier around it, but dude probably could go mad with power and make a thing.

The Malen family is established to be renting their home though, and Roger was still a sad sack clown when he was like "poo poo I really don't want my daughters to go to the basement or see the painting again" at the end of Chapter 1. And while he was definitely ambitious and driven as a teenager and young adult, we never saw anything indicating he was power crazy.

Speaking of Roger, you could argue that for this chapter, he plays the role of an antagonist, although he's certainly not evil; the memories we saw from Etel Nepica make it clear that he's a sad sack who quit at life after he failed to save Honnete all those years ago, and now he's trying to get his poo poo back together.

He's just... doing that (and settling daddy issues and settling a score with his brother, which the game doesn't really probe beyond this) in an extremely bizarre and destructive way which disrupts the lives of his surviving family and pits himself against his daughters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

9-2: Luck and Leadership

…Ashes? Lydie, you want to make ashes?

Believe it or not, Sue, these are supposed to be a really powerful elixir! And can be used as gunpowder and… well, you’ll see once it’s done.

Whatever you say, Lydie. Anyway, looks like we’ll want red and blue components…

You know what this needs, Sue?

Yeah! An enhancing agent!

This one’ll do the trick!

Aah, I’m wiped! We’ve been synthesizing for days on end! We need a break…

Hmm… let’s head to the tent!

In the Cards

Ah, you noticed? We’ve just been so busy with work.

Hmm, we can’t have that. Let’s take a break! I know just the thing.

Woohoo! A break! For…

Oh. Uh. Sure, we can do that, but Lydie’ll need her usual handicap.

Sure, fine. I’m feeling lucky today, so a pretty heavy one might be a good idea.

Hm…? Ah, well. Let’s get started. I’ll deal!

Ah, I win! Royal Geshpenst Finish!

What the…?!

See what I mean, Firis?

It’s not like I can help it, Sue…

Ah, well, let’s go for another round! She can’t get a hand like that again… Hmm… Shuffle, shuffle… and deal!

Yes, I win again! Super Extreme Straight Nova!

Ah… well… one more round! I’ll win this time…

Hehe, I win again! Ultra Imperial Destiny Full House!

Uwah! Lydie is impossibly lucky. There’s no way to beat her in games that involve chance.

Ah, so that’s why there’s a handicap!

Bah, this is no fun! Lydie, you’re just too good!’

I do see where you’re coming from, but I can’t exactly hold back, can I?

Hahaha… Sounds like it’s time to test a medicine I thought up a while back. Bring me these materials here!

What? Sure, we can, but just what are you trying to make?

You’ll see once it’s ready. I’m counting on you!

Hmm… all she needs from us is some Honey Syrup.

Lady Luck Forsaken

Firis. We’ve got the stuff you asked for.

Ah, thanks. This is just what I need. Let’s synthesize at once!

Luck…?! Putting the silly name aside, if that works then it will be incredible.

I know! Go ahead, Sue, take a swig!

Roger that, Professor Firis! With this, I can beat even Lydie! Mmm… glug, glug… Wow, it tastes good too! It feels like my whole body is brimming with luck!

Right! Time for some revenge, Lydie!

I definitely was luckier than before… And all the hands I wouldn’t get before were turning up…

But she always had better… We’ve been completely defeated.

Ah! I hate this heavy atmosphere!

Firis. There are just some things even alchemy cannot overcome.

I guess so, although I’d rather have not learned that. Lydie’s luck really is incredible.

I said that I’m sorry! Forgive me, please!

Thanks for the games, Firis, but… let’s go home, Lydie.

Oh, right. We have the fragments from Etel Nepica, so… we can make an item that’ll recreate its atmosphere!

Dunno why we’d want to, but why not? We have all the ingredients on hand, to boot.

Done!

I gotta say, though… wouldn’t it be convenient if we could just do all these syntheses in a flash? Like when Sophie helped us out that one time?

Yeah. How does she do it? We oughta catch her in action again!

Maturity and Responsibility

Sophie, hello! Wow, you look busy!

Hahaha… I went and took on too much work again.

Oh boy! But you can just finish it all in an instant, right? Just like when you helped us.

I wish I could! The more I do, the more it seems to pile up!

What! Just how much did you take on?

I’m actually not sure. Enough to fill a notebook?

If that’s so, I think it’s too much. Do you want our help?

No, I’m fine. I took it on, I’ll handle… uwah!

You’re not fine at all! You’re wobbling about all over the place!

Hahaha, I haven’t slept in three days. Don’t end up like me, girls. I’m bad enough at cleaning already, and now I don’t have any time for it at all! My room is getting messier and messier. Plachta is going to chew me… out again…

OK, OK! No need to keep talking. Just take a break, Sophie!

Haah, Grandma… see how grown up I am now? Heheh…

Let’s… come back once Sophie isn’t delirious from overwork.

Give it a few hours, maybe?

Yeah, a few hours. …Best of luck, Sophie…

Reader to Leader

Uwah, you’re studying, Sophie? I just never feel like reading.

Ah, I can’t ignore a comment like that! Reading is very important. Knowledge is vital in life and alchemy. You need to study hard everyday.

Yes, I know. I just really dislike reading.

Sue, you’re hopeless. But Sophie, do you really need to study any further? You’re already an incredible alchemist. Don’t you know the contents of all these books already?

Hahaha, of course not. I’m not there yet. There’s no end to the path of alchemy. The only way to carry on is to study more, and harder.

Uwah, that’s a hardline approach! I wish Sue would take a leaf out of your book!

Uwah, even Sophie still has to study? All I ever read is comics!

Hehe. I didn’t like reading either, when I was younger. All those words, dancing before my eyes! But I started with easier texts, slowly got used to it, and now I’m totally fine with it.

Simple books, you say. Like the picture books we read as kids?

Yes, I think that would work. Just do what you can, a little at a time!

Hmm, what would be good? “Beauty and the Puni”? “Cinderpuni”?

Hahaha, let’s take a look once we get home. Thank you, Sophie! We’ll see you later!

Sophie, recommending reading to others? She really has grown up.

Sophie has acquired the skill “Tool Expert”.

Tool Expert - Reduce the increase in wait time when using tools.

Hmm… you think, Sue?

Yeah! This one, and that one… they’ll be good places for me to start.

I’m glad to hear that! I’m behind you every step of the way, Sue!

Thanks! But before I actually get to it… I want to visit the Treasury at the Sea Bottom first.

Oh? How come?

There’s plenty of rare gems in its treasure vaults! We could use some for syntheses, right?

We sure could. Let’s go, then!

The Minions’ Oath

You know, now that we’re here…

Yeah. Coming here always reminds me of the Captain.

Me too. He was completely crazy, but also a really interesting man. …We can’t go getting all soppy, though, can we? We’re his minions, after all!

That’s right! We have to be full of life, full of energy, just like him!

Awahaha! Well said, you scurvy dogs! That’s why you’re worthy to be my minions!

Stow it! I’m not a ghost! This is the real, one-and-only me!

Hold up! Captain, you said all that cool stuff and faded away!

That was quite a performance, wasn’t it? Did it move you? It moved you, right? Didn’t it?

Hahahaha! Ah, you really pulled one over me!

Hahaha, me too! I’m glad you’re still with us, anyway.

Me too. You’re a tyrannical pyromaniac, but I was sad to see you fade away.

Awahaha! Me too, me too! I’ll continue to lead you across the seas, fear not!