Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

ToxicFrog posted:

To this day I have no idea what that gun is meant to be or how it's meant to work, but it's fun as hell.

I first discovered it when I learned that LAPOSTAL in the demo gives you all the guns from the full version. Highly recommended.

what was that old one fps that people are converting to unreal where they opened the original gun models and lots of time was spent actually trying to figure out how to make the nonsense guns into somewhat explainable mechanics?

the one i remeber of one person saying that the ejection of the casings would technically be flying up into the players eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the nucas
Sep 12, 2002
the only actor i recognized from the doom cast list is a kid from the syfy show dominion, a spinoff series based on legion, a film starring Paul Bettany as a rogue angel protecting a trailer trash baby from God's army at a gas station in the desert.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It's fun they've made two Doom movies, where the plot is as thin as it possibly can be so as not to infringe on the gameplay; but Half-Life, which was basically a cinematic retelling of Doom with the serial numbers filed off, has none.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yeah the issue is that video games frequently just don't support the kind of pacing and narrative for a film. There are exceptions but they're kind of few and far between. Also the first Doom movie I swear i heard/read someone suggest that a lot of that was probably a setup for a completely different sci-fi movie that never got greenlit that1 they repurposed and changed up some details to turn it into a Doom movie, hence why they excised hell almost entirely and only very loosely alluded to it with some "evil gene" theming or whatever.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The Doom movie is a good fun b-movie with the Rock and Eomer from Lord of the Rings blowing up demons, but no hell they are the demons, and then Rock was a zombie.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

the nucas posted:

the only actor i recognized from the doom cast list is a kid from the syfy show dominion, a spinoff series based on legion, a film starring Paul Bettany as a rogue angel protecting a trailer trash baby from God's army at a gas station in the desert.

How did that come about, from everything I heard, Legion was bad and bombed, and then it got multi-season TV spin-off?

skasion posted:

The Doom movie is a good fun b-movie with the Rock and Eomer from Lord of the Rings blowing up demons, but no hell they are the demons, and then Rock was a zombie.

It's so bad, and such a bad Doom movie, but drat if it's not fun enough.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Cat Mattress posted:

It's fun they've made two Doom movies, where the plot is as thin as it possibly can be so as not to infringe on the gameplay; but Half-Life, which was basically a cinematic retelling of Doom with the serial numbers filed off, has none.

a half-life movie would be tough. the fans would crucify you if you gave gordon lines, and nobody else would understand if you didn't

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I NEED SOLDIERS!

I DON’T NEED ANYBODY ELSE!, but SOLDIERS!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I love how any mention of demons got scrubbed from the last movie because they were afraid religious fuckheads wouldn't show up.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtZz2b2sZY4

Now years later The Rock is making movies in which he does not die, because that would upset people.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Soricidus posted:

a half-life movie would be tough. the fans would crucify you if you gave gordon lines, and nobody else would understand if you didn't

Keep creating comical situations where Gordon starts to speak but gets interrupted somehow

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Keep creating comical situations where Gordon starts to speak but gets interrupted somehow

Tries to say something to Barney but cant be heard over a Gargantua's roaring and stomping

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

any half life movie would end up in development hell, the franchise is cursed

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
How come DOOM is treated as some Satanist propaganda, when it involves one of God's own soldiers--a red blooded MARINE--slaying the wretched minions of Satan wholesale, but it's alright for some lunatic to write sixteen thousand pages of fan fiction about the people who were too heavy with sin to float to Heaven (LEFT BEHIND) and we're A-OK with Kirk Cameron squinting into a camera for an intolerable amount of time, and THEN THE SAME EXACT STORY BEING TOLD ONCE MORE, only now with Nicholas Cage looking permanently befuddled and sinful??

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Doom movie can be good, but only if someone who knows how to make a good action movie says "Hey, I want to make a good action movie that borrows the plot of Doom." In and of itself, it "wouldn't make a good movie". But you can make a good movie about pretty much anything if you know what you're doing.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

catlord posted:

How did that come about, from everything I heard, Legion was bad and bombed, and then it got multi-season TV spin-off?

It's so bad, and such a bad Doom movie, but drat if it's not fun enough.

I'm not going say anything on if it's good, I never watched it. But the movie had a budget of about $25 million and pulled in $40 million at the box office, so it didn't bomb. It just wasn't super big. Makes sense they'd move something like that to a TV series because it's clearly got enough of an audience, and TV series don't cost that much to make on Syfy.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

How come DOOM is treated as some Satanist propaganda, when it involves one of God's own soldiers--a red blooded MARINE--slaying the wretched minions of Satan wholesale, but it's alright for some lunatic to write sixteen thousand pages of fan fiction about the people who were too heavy with sin to float to Heaven (LEFT BEHIND) and we're A-OK with Kirk Cameron squinting into a camera for an intolerable amount of time, and THEN THE SAME EXACT STORY BEING TOLD ONCE MORE, only now with Nicholas Cage looking permanently befuddled and sinful??

Made by the tribe not made by the tribe, thats it.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

sandy petersen is a christian, i think

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

juggalo baby coffin posted:

sandy petersen is a christian, i think
He's a Mormon.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
That Doom movie is going to be worse than the one w The Rock.

Anyway, one of the only things that slightly disappointed me about Doom 2016 was the lack of blasphemous Christian iconography. In old Doom there were crucified bodies and upside down crosses, direct references to the bible in level names, in addition to just the lakes of fire and pentagrams. Being subversive was one of the appeals of old Doom, and new Doom lacks that.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Upside down crosses are super christian, Peter who is the first of the popes in both eastern and western branches of the faith requested to be crucified as such since he did not want to be crucified in the same way as his god.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Barudak posted:

Upside down crosses are super christian, Peter who is the first of the popes in both eastern and western branches of the faith requested to be crucified as such since he did not want to be crucified in the same way as his god.

Yeah, but your average pearl clutching bible thumper in the US definitely doesn't know about Peter's Cross.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Origami Dali posted:

Yeah, but your average pearl clutching bible thumper in the US definitely doesn't know about Peter's Cross.

Agreed, and again not their tribe so they ignore it. They absolutely wont respect Doom despite it basically being a story about digging deep, looking at the horror around you, and saying "Not Today, Satan!" with nothing to protect you but your righteousness.

the nucas
Sep 12, 2002

Cat Mattress posted:

i remember reading an interview long ago with either gabe newell or doug lombardi where they said they'd been in talks with 'hollywood types' about an adaptation but were generally put off by the hollywoodization - the quote i remember is "then gordon freeman falls in love"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I can imagine a worse movie concept than Gordon Freeman Falls in Love, but it involves the G-Man rapping

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I've actually got a plan for a Half-Life film adaptation and it involves casting Willem Dafoe as Gordon Freeman and a 75-year-old Stellan Skarsgard as the G-Man, but Skarsgard won't be 75 for another 8 years and by that point Dafoe will be in his 70's.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

EVIL Gibson posted:

what was that old one fps that people are converting to unreal where they opened the original gun models and lots of time was spent actually trying to figure out how to make the nonsense guns into somewhat explainable mechanics?

the one i remeber of one person saying that the ejection of the casings would technically be flying up into the players eyes.

I have no idea, but that sounds like fun to read about.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
The old joke (that I'm surprised nobody's brought up) about Event Horizon being the real Doom movie shows, I think, that you could make a good (read: entertaining, enjoyable) sci-fi horror flick set in the Doom universe. I think that would be the way to go, rather than trying to make a film version of the Doom games themselves.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
what if we take gordon freeman and pump him full of tiger blood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-uGQYEN4jc

JerryLee posted:

The old joke (that I'm surprised nobody's brought up) about Event Horizon being the real Doom movie shows, I think, that you could make a good (read: entertaining, enjoyable) sci-fi horror flick set in the Doom universe. I think that would be the way to go, rather than trying to make a film version of the Doom games themselves.

it checks off a lot of boxes:
- In space
- Teleportation
- Oops it's through hell
- Everyone's already dead too

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Cat Mattress posted:

There were multiple pitches in the wake of Half-Life 1, and Valve hated absolutely all of them. I recall them mentioning that one of them had a scene, for some reason, of Bullsquids fighting mounted cavalry for no particular reason or relevance beyond it being a cool image.

I think Bad Robot is supposed to be doing something with Portal and eventually HL at some point? :shrug:

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yeah I think the only non-Doomy thing about Event Horizon is that the demons involved don't seem to be the kind you can just shoot with a shotgun.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Doomguy removes his helmet and gently places it on the top shelf of the armoire. He then procures a single envelope and fountain pen from behind the chest-plate of his marine battle armor. Pulling a slip of paper from the envelope, he sits down at the mahogany french desk and begins writing.

[Static shot of letter, already written]

Luke Wilson narrating:

Dear Cyberdemon,

Hello. I could not help but notice that you seem to be huge. I apologize if my line of thinking appears to follow a fallacy of logic, but my understanding is that your huge size may indicate that you also have huge guts. Do you have huge guts? Excuse me for being forward, but I would appreciate it if you would allow me to rip & tear your guts. May I rip & tear your guts?

Sincerely,
Doomguy

[Individual shots of objects, cutting between the letter; the envelope; a lit candle; a letter stamp; a window; a flaming skull, screaming] Doomguy carefully folds the letter and places it in the envelope. He reaches for a candle at the edge of the mahogany french desk, dripping a small mound of wax on the back of the envelope before gently pressing the seal with his UAC insignia letter stamp. Opening the window on the far side of the room, doomguy hands the letter to a passing lost soul.

Luke Wilson: "Excuse me, Mr. Lost Soul. Please take this letter to 666 Erebus Mt., and fly swiftly, it is urgent. Thank you."

[Side-view montage of the lost soul in front of handpainted erupting volcanos and hell monuments on a rolling backdrop, traveling first by bicycle, then by caco-airlines, then by delivery tuk-tuk to the door of the Unholy Cathedral]

[Static panoramic shot of the front of the cathedral, dolly zoom to front door as it opens] The lost soul squawks, handing the letter to Bill Murray, wearing a latex demon suit exposing only the circular area of his face, painted red, a headband with pointy demon horns upon his head. He glances at the letter briefly before softly shaking his head.

[Simon & Garfunkle - I am a Rock begins playing]

A tuxedo-wearing revenant walks into frame, just behind the Cyberdemon's right shoulder.

Bill Murray: "Fetch my coat, Alistaire."

He pauses momentarily, looking toward the sky, as though he has forgotten something. He blinks.

Bill Murray: "Oh yes, and my rocket arm."

The revenant nods.

[tempo of the music intensifies, singing "I am alone, gazing from my window at the streets below"]

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

treat posted:

Doomguy removes his helmet and gently places it on the top shelf of the armoire. He then procures a single envelope and fountain pen from behind the chest-plate of his marine battle armor. Pulling a slip of paper from the envelope, he sits down at the mahogany french desk and begins writing.

Luke Wilson narrating:

Dear Cyberdemon,

Hello. I could not help but notice that you seem to be huge. I apologize if my line of thinking appears to follow a fallacy of logic, but my understanding is that your huge size may indicate that you also have huge guts. Do you have huge guts? Excuse me for being forward, but I would appreciate it if you would allow me to rip & tear your guts. May I rip & tear your guts?

Sincerely,
Doomguy

[Individual shots of objects, cutting between the letter; the envelope; a lit candle; a letter stamp; a window; a flaming skull, screaming] Doomguy carefully folds the letter and places it in the envelope. He reaches for a candle at the edge of the mahogany french desk, dripping a small mound of wax on the back of the envelope before gently pressing the seal with his UAC insignia letter stamp. Opening the window on the far side of the room, doomguy hands the letter to a passing lost soul.

Luke Wilson: "Excuse me, Mr. Lost Soul. Please take this letter to 666 Erebus Mt., and fly swiftly, it is urgent. Thank you."

[Side-view montage of the lost soul in front of handpainted erupting volcanos and hell monuments on a rolling backdrop, traveling first by bicycle, then by caco-airlines, then by delivery tuk-tuk to the door of the Unholy Cathedral]

[Static panoramic shot of the front of the cathedral, dolly zoom to front door as it opens] The lost soul squawks, handing the letter to Bill Murray, wearing a latex demon suit exposing only the circular area of his face, painted red, a headband with pointy demon horns upon his head. He glances at the letter briefly before softly shaking his head.

A tuxedo-wearing revenant walks into frame, just behind the Cyberdemon's right shoulder.

He pauses momentarily, looking toward the sky, as though he has forgotten something. He blinks.

The revenant nods.

[tempo of the music intensifies, singing "I am alone, gazing from my window at the streets below"]

Hell, I'd watch it.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

woody allen directed doom movie

doom guy is thin and nervous, runs around a lot to jazz flute music, falls in love with an underage imp

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Mortal Kombat was a good (stupid) adaptation and also had the world's greatest theme song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjQ7jJx9PJk

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
I've gotten pretty dang far into Eviternity w/ DRLA and it's at the point where the map I'm on is completely unplayable. Death TP at the end of the last level so you start empty-handed and there are rooms with something like 100 lost souls that all come in at one time. The previous few maps have been building up the bullshit, but drat does the maps design make me never want to pick Eviternity up again.

Anyone have any newer megawad recommendations that don't overuse death teleports at the end of levels?

BaconCopter fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Mar 11, 2019

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

treat posted:

Luke Wilson narrating:

Dear Cyberdemon,

Sincerely,
Doomguy

The revenant nods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKlSVNxLB-A

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Playing Resurrection of Evil on Xbox. How did they do this?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Disposable Scud posted:

Playing Resurrection of Evil on Xbox. How did they do this?

Dark programming magic and also the original Xbox was considerably more poweful than its peers.

I like it more than the main games campaign and the reason Im not overly harsh on Doom 3 in general

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Yeah baby. You understand my vision.

e; I'm working on animating this, but it's sort of back-burner. I'm edging into doom mapping to save time drawing backgrounds, and finding it fun, so I welcome other ideas.

treat fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Mar 11, 2019