Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Cage posted:

What headlights did you get?
Last time around was a TYC model that ran ~$130, they had a garbage light pattern and yellowed after ~3-4 years. This time, $60 on ebay.

They look identical, and if they last anywhere near as long, I'll consider it a success.

I appreciate the offer! I'll hit you up if the ebayer doesn't come through :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So ever since I had to R&R the front left strut (thanks to me being a dumbfuck with too many ugga duggas on the strut mount), I've had a new clunking up front. Well, when I put everything back on, I used the impact to get everything mostly tight, then hand tools to finish it off. Torque wrench on the strut mount to make sure it only saw 81 ft lbs instead of, oh, 200-300.

Finally poked around while getting gas today. Noticed some paint missing around where the sway bar end link bolts to the strut.....

:doh:

Yeah, it's loose enough to let poo poo move around. Felt tight while it was on the lift, but I can move it by hand with it on the ground. Gave me an excuse to go buy a new floor jack, since mine popped a seal last time I used it ($30 at Harbor Freight for what appears to be the exact same jack I paid $60 for at Pep Boys about 7 years ago...).

At least these are Moog end links, so there's an 11/16 head on the back side (just enough of a gap to get a box end wrench into to hold the bolt) with a regular 18mm nut on the other side - all metal construction with grease fittings. The OEM ones have a captive bolt inside a plastic insert, so if you broke that loose, you had to cut the bolt... which would mushroom just enough that you'd have to grind it down to pop it out of the sway bar (ask how I know :sigh:).

#justGMthings

I have a new oil pressure sender on the way too. I think that may have been the source of the sudden nasty oil leak on Saturd #1, and after being under Saturd #2 on the lift, I'm 99% certain it's the source of the sudden oil leak on this one. A little over :10bux: from Rockauto for an OEM one, but I have to pull the starter to get to it.

Upside: Found out a friend of mine now works for Pick n Pull's parent company; PnP isn't local to me anymore (we have one LKQ yard and two independents when it comes to DIY), but he said he has no problem pulling parts for me and meeting me halfway (so hour and a half drive each way for both of us), and he gets one hell of an employee discount. I'm gonna have him go ahead and pull a starter for me; mine sounds like the bendix is getting slow to retract (high pitched whine for a second after the engine starts), and I'm sure the oil bath it's getting isn't gonna help the brushes. I'll trust a junkyard OEM starter any loving day over a parts store reman. It's coming out anyway to get to the sender, and it's the easiest FWD starter I've ever seen to swap.

e: may see if he can find a top trim coupe seat for me too. The only coupes at LKQ already had them out. The foam is all but gone on mine, and it's getting the permanent lean going - I'm sure if I got rearended the seat would just snap at this point. The base seat lacks adjustable lumbar and rear end support.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Mar 8, 2019

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Bought a turbocharged boat anchor for it:

Unknown condition, so it'll be fun opening it up and see. Ach well, it came with a megasquirt box, so it'll be fun to learn that!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Saw turbo VAG and what appears to be a 5 cylinder, then a test bench full of wires, and immediately thought this was a CommieGiR post.

I'm left very confused now.

doogle posted:

89-91 civics are very similar to 90-93 integras with almost anything between them swapping with only slight differences in geometry. 88 civics are also very similar except the rear lower control arms were box in style instead of the shocks having forks to go over the control arm.

92-95 civics and 96-00 were very similar to 94-01 integras. The main differences between the years were the various swaps from obd1 to obd2a to obd2b.

EG and EK civics have the best compatibility to the DC integra, and the EF civic to the DA. While you can swap DC parts into an EF, it is generally more complicated than DC to EG.

When I originally swapped my 88 Civic with everything from a DA integra, I bolted up the EF suspension to the DA and threw the d15/trans into it so it could all be towed away. So if you ever come across a ‘91 DA integra with a d15 in it, you know where it came from.

DOOGLE :neckbeard:

Gotcha. It's been a very, very long time since I played Honda legos. I do remember DA's needing a bit more work to make EG parts fit, but it's been 18+ years since I played Honda legos of that magnitude - my memory is a bit rusty. I also remember EG and EK parts being interchangeable to a large degree.

Where the gently caress you been man?

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Mar 8, 2019

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Colostomy Bag posted:

Heh, was this one of those buy the switch and the harness was behind a blank-out panel type things?

Close, in this case I replaced a single function (traction control) switch with a dual function switch and it used the same plug. Previously this was just one big traction control OFF button.

The hill descent control on F-150s is just a function of the ABS but they only put the switch in and enable it if you buy the off road/FX4 package but you can't even get that package on my model which is kinda dumb.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Added some storage to put my high lift jack and chains and socket set and tie downs and whatever other assorted trash I'd rather not have inside the cab or sliding around in the bed. We'll see if it's strong enough to hold up long term, so far it seems okay.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

STR posted:

Saw turbo VAG and what appears to be a 5 cylinder, then a test bench full of wires, and immediately thought this was a CommieGiR post.

I'm left very confused now.

There's several of us! :O

Found out why the MAP sensor in my megasquirt box didn't work, the guy who assembled the unit soldered in the sensor upside down!

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Top and I hit the yard and grabbed a 96-00 Civic EX header for his Civic LX along with a side skirt. The exhaust and cat were gone, though.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

It's illegal to sell a used cat, so you're gonna have to hit Craigslist or buy a universal.

e: after 2 days of driving, I can confidently say pretty much every front end clunk/rattle is gone after tightening that one end link, except for one clunk that I know is a bad motor mount. :hellyeah:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Mar 10, 2019

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

We're going back today to grab the intake with better weather and some removal videos under our belt.

Some videos say swap the original (lx) throttle body into the new intake, or should I pull the ex throttle body too?

JQADDINGMACHINE
Jan 5, 2014

Krakkles posted:

So over the last week or so, I modded my 2000 Mustang to have a double-DIN radio slot (stock was single DIN), and put in a Pioneer MVH-1400NEX. Still working out a couple things (that stupid Mach460 connector from Metra is the biggest piece of poo poo), but it's in, working, and I feel better about the car in general - carplay and a backup camera goes a long way. I also threw new headlight housings (why doesn't anyone make a nice set for this car?), and nice bulbs in the front lights, as well as Sylvania ZEVO reverse bulbs.

On order, the FRPP shift knob that's apparently out of production. Hopefully this ebay seller can come through, because the stock one is worn out and it's beaaaaautiful:

SVE makes a reproduction that I've had in my car for around 5 years.
https://lmr.com/item/SVE-7213H/mustang-cobra-shift-knob-5-speed-sve-79-04

And I finally got around to machining my Viper-T56 input shaft down to LS1 spec

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Got the fender liner (mostly) installed on the new fender on the civic.
I need a few more clips to arrive from china to fully attach it to both the car, fender, and also the side skirt.

When I put the car back down the front driver shock gave up the ghost.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Installed my CP-E symposer delete on the FoST. The most difficult parts were removing the drat intake elbow and pulling out the hose because I am not strong.

Also put this on because gently caress it, it makes me smile.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
Put two quick struts in my wife's Armada - wow that's the best way to do that. Tightened up the ride really well.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Do they have a lot of other plates for wars America didn't win? What a strange choice of war to put on a license plate.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Do they have a lot of other plates for wars America didn't win? What a strange choice of war to put on a license plate.

Most states do have Korean and Vietnam war plates, if that's what you're asking

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The Door Frame posted:

Most states do have Korean and Vietnam war plates, if that's what you're asking

For veterans of those wars, i would assume.

If there are still veterans of the war of 1812, i think it's time to take their drivers licenses, i mean, the line has to be drawn somewhere, and that's a good place to start.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I mean, people in the south still love the confederate flag.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

jamal posted:

I mean, people in the south still love the confederate flag.

But that's more about saying "i hate black people" without actually saying it.

Is this war of 1812 plate for people who hate Canada? who hates Canada? Canada ain't did nothin to nobody.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It's extra funny because I'm a Canadian citizen with a green card. It makes me laugh to think about. I still wanna change it because it clashes horribly with the paint.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

UK history thinks of the 1812 war as a side part to the Napoleonic wars rather than an actual distinct thing. Amusingly this brexit nonsense is basically us pushing Napoleon I's continental system on ourselves because.............. ??

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Night Danger Moose posted:

It's extra funny because I'm a Canadian citizen with a green card. It makes me laugh to think about. I still wanna change it because it clashes horribly with the paint.

I would get the same plate if I moved there. They should have put the White House on fire on the plate.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Ordered a few bags of assorted plastic fiddly bit connectors for body panels.

Edit: The weather is nice today. I'm going to try and extract the carpets and see what luck I have.

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 11, 2019

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

JQADDINGMACHINE posted:

SVE makes a reproduction that I've had in my car for around 5 years.
https://lmr.com/item/SVE-7213H/mustang-cobra-shift-knob-5-speed-sve-79-04
Groovy, this will be a good alternative to stock if they don't come through. The dimensions look a little off, and it's "leather", not leather, but it's also $30, so that could be alllllllright.

Edit: Ebay person did not come through, ordered this. Thanks! And thanks to Cage ... I like this style better, but I appreciate your offer too.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 12, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The loving thing passed smog and safety.

Legitimately. The one done by the dealer was very much not legit, and going by the rounded mileage estimates for the one the year before (and county it was performed in being non-emissions), I'd guess that one was a pay off as well.

I'm loving shocked. Not even so much as a "hey, <x> and <y> are margianal". It flat out passed on the first try. 1 OBD2 monitor not ready, but it's one that takes several months to set for me on this car (evap), and TX allows one not-ready.

I wanted to do the oil pressure sender afterwards (doing it requires disconnecting the battery, as the starter has to be pulled, so I couldn't do it before smogging it), but someone with a shocking amount of jealousy in my life decided that my day off meant an 80 mile round trip for tamales with zero notice instead (claiming "I told you 7 or 8 weeks ago!"). :fuckoff:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Mar 13, 2019

surivdaoreht
Jan 22, 2009

The cobalts oil pump is getting a little tired it seems.

40psi with some clatter on cold start, clatter goes away and the pressure bumps up 20psi

Hmmm.. Oh and today I added coolant for my phantom leak

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

STR posted:

but someone with a shocking amount of jealousy in my life decided that my day off meant an 80 mile round trip for tamales with zero notice instead (claiming "I told you 7 or 8 weeks ago!"). :fuckoff:

:sever:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

STR posted:

"I told you 7 or 8 weeks ago!". :fuckoff:

More than a week ago does not exist, as far as that sort of thing goes. IF you didn't see me put it on my calendar, I won't remember.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Darchangel posted:

More than a week ago does not exist, as far as that sort of thing goes. IF you didn't see me put it on my calendar, I won't remember.

same. if my outlook calendar were to die i would be useless

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Shared calendars guys. It's the 21st century it's time to act like it. Any and all planned activities are added by the planner lest they be forgotten.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I'm pretty sure I would be in some sort of Castaway scenario if it weren't for Google calendars.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I have an actual paper calendar on the wall next to my desk. And there's a whiteboard on the fridge for upcoming bills and, you know, reminders.

Though admittedly anything important goes into Google Calendar too. All 3 of these were lacking any mention. :iiam:

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Did more fiddly/plastic bits on the civic yesterday after work.

Got the fender liner slightly more attached and also got a side skirt stuck on.
Need to get it up on a jack and stick in a few more plastic bits on the bottom, along with a few clips that go behind the wheel.
Also got a clip for the hood stick.

Man, that side skirt really needs a second clean. I had washed it after bringing it home from the LKQ, but jeez it's still filthy.

Also got a quote form Jet-Hot to coat the 4-2-1 exhaust, it's more complex than the volvo's downpipe, so it looks to be about $200.
For that much $$$ I might just BBQ paint it myself.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Series 3 FB:

Finally got around to swapping the alternator pulley to a Banzai Racing dual belt aluminum piece. I picked Banzai's because it is the stock diameter and doesn't underdrive the alt.

Also have the engine just about prepped to pull for a Exedy OEM clutch swap and to potentially change the oil pan gasket pending a close up inspection. High and low voltage wires are off, sensor wires are off, fuel lines are off, exhaust header is off, radiator is out.

Radiator is being replaced with a new copper core OEM S2 style that works with my S2 oil cooler.

While I have the header out, I might as well take it to an exhaust shop and have a bung put in for a wideband O2 sensor, because I need want one.

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer
Got an MOT, woo. The list of advisories fitted on a single page as well, and can be summed up as corrosion.

Sorry, my camera is almost as bad as my car.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

If you don't have a mullet, i'm going to be very disappointed.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Megabook posted:

Got an MOT, woo. The list of advisories fitted on a single page as well, and can be summed up as corrosion.

Corrosion. Lol, around most parts here that car would fetch 10K as a clean example.

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer

Colostomy Bag posted:

Corrosion. Lol, around most parts here that car would fetch 10K as a clean example.

I paid £1600 ten years ago and wasn't clean then. It was just the cheapest way to get a manual, RWD, V8. No mullet either I'm afraid.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
fix that right away fair poster that car deserves a glorious hockey during the playoffs mullet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Megabook posted:

I paid £1600 ten years ago and wasn't clean then. It was just the cheapest way to get a manual, RWD, V8. No mullet either I'm afraid.

Did your folks drive it up from the Bahamas?