Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
how tf is this thread still alive lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Why so many posts? Did nothing happen?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Waltzing Along posted:

Why so many posts? Did nothing happen?

New hunt: The original artist's son was commissioned to do the art and a box supposedly worth $2500.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1182128925289925/?ref=share

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Progress on the 13th casque hunt has kind of stalled out. We need some out-of-the-box thinking.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

The White Darryl Strawberry

Salad Prong
Image 13 - New Hunt and Rules

To get the information on the new page of the thread and sum it up for any newcomers in addition to what Drunk Nerds posted above.

The Lore:

The Rules:
Note the addition of "church property". It's sticks out as the rest of the rules are basically identical to the original ones. This point was also mentioned by burnstyle on the podcast episode about the tribute hunt.

The Image:

The Verse:

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong

Drunk Nerds posted:

Progress on the 13th casque hunt has kind of stalled out. We need some out-of-the-box thinking.

If I wasn't so lazy, I would post the pictures of the Battles of Chattanooga Museum with the "If that's not an exact match, I don't know what is" comparing the boot to the Lookout Mountain diorama to see if I really am missing something there.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
did anyone say the hatchet handle looks like the steam logo yet cuz that's all I can see

maybe it will turn out to hold half life 3

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
There’s a 100% chance that the casks were found by construction workers during park renovations that have taken place over the last few decades.. “Wtf is this poo poo? Eh who cares, trash it, I have work to do”

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Wtf

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is it in Detroit? First thing I thought when looking at that picture.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong

Waltzing Along posted:

Is it in Detroit? First thing I thought when looking at that picture.

Image 13

The Verse:

There are 1939 World's Fair Benches in Detroit, so it's got as much going for it as anywhere else at this point.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Merlot Brougham posted:

Image 13

The Verse:

There are 1939 World's Fair Benches in Detroit, so it's got as much going for it as anywhere else at this point.

Having trouble finding any WT benches in Det. Where did you find them?

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong

Drunk Nerds posted:

Having trouble finding any WT benches in Det. Where did you find them?

Belle Isle:

Merlot Brougham fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Mar 10, 2019

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

The tree branches look like a river to me

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Ty. Belle Isle also has a marsh, I see. And a twin (Belle Isle State Park, Virginia)

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 10, 2019

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Also "Isle of B" fits and is from verse 12.

Can anyone find that bench in Google Streetview? I went up and down the Detroit coast side and found nothing. Streetview is from 2009, too, so they might not exist. Makes a tempting spot for JM, who we suspect wants it not solvable with Internet alone.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong
IMAGE 13

Drunk Nerds posted:

Ty. Belle Isle also has a marsh, I see. And a twin (Belle Isle State Park, Virginia)

A few hurdles that need to be jumped for Belle Isle to work:

Our "way" has a twin, not our treasure ground. I don't have any real strong opinions on the meaning of that, but I run through all the regular stuff with each idea, and there are other Belle Isles, yes - so not really a Twin, but maybe a Quintuplet (on my quick count). There's also only one point of access to Belle Isle. I don't know what 4 spans you would cross to get there, but there are bridges once you are on Belle Isle itself.

If you haven't been able to tell by now, I am still a strong proponent of the port city theme, so that's one in the "pro" column. I have no strong evidence either way other than the general consensus (with which I agree) that every previous cask is in a port city. It seems to be a cornerstone of the hunt, and I just have a nagging feeling that a proper tribute would keep that part of the lore in tact.

Detroit, Buffalo, Duluth. I had been toying with a larger "negative space" map of western New York in the area between the leash and the gown, but nothing really to hang my hat on.

I will be in Detroit next weekend and am definitely going to be spending some time at Belle Isle to snap a photo of a Worlds Fair Bench at the very least. I'm also willing to check out any other spots that are suggested. I will certainly be doing my homework between now and then, but I will admit Detroit is not at the top of my list for where the cask is.

EDIT

Drunk Nerds posted:

Also "Isle of B" fits and is from verse 12.

Can anyone find that bench in Google Streetview? I went up and down the Detroit coast side and found nothing. Streetview is from 2009, too, so they might not exist. Makes a tempting spot for JM, who we suspect wants it not solvable with Internet alone.

Or an Emblem of B from the new verse, perhaps? Just spitballing in realtime now... I was on Belle Isle last spring as well. I obviously wasn't on the lookout for world's fair benches but they should still be there. Or are you suggesting since Belle Isle doesn't have good Google streetview access it might be a tempting location for the cask?

Edit 2
Another Con: If Detroit, we also need a new interpretation of the Butterfly and the leash, if in fact those are connected and if in fact they have anything to do with the Monarch Highway. But Detroit might help us figure out what the hanging "rim" (for lack of a better term) is. I have yet to see anything put forth for what that part of the image represents that makes any decent sense.

Merlot Brougham fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 10, 2019

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Merlot Brougham posted:

IMAGE 13

A few hurdles that need to be jumped for Belle Isle to work:

Our "way" has a twin, not our treasure ground. I don't have any real strong opinions on the meaning of that, but I run through all the regular stuff with each idea, and there are other Belle Isles, yes - so not really a Twin, but maybe a Quintuplet (on my quick count). There's also only one point of access to Belle Isle. I don't know what 4 spans you would cross to get there, but there are bridges once you are on Belle Isle itself.

If you haven't been able to tell by now, I am still a strong proponent of the port city theme, so that's one in the "pro" column. I have no strong evidence either way other than the general consensus (with which I agree) that every previous cask is in a port city. It seems to be a cornerstone of the hunt, and I just have a nagging feeling that a proper tribute would keep that part of the lore in tact.

Detroit, Buffalo, Duluth. I had been toying with a larger "negative space" map of western New York in the area between the leash and the gown, but nothing really to hang my hat on.

I will be in Detroit next weekend and am definitely going to be spending some time at Belle Isle to snap a photo of a Worlds Fair Bench at the very least. I'm also willing to check out any other spots that are suggested. I will certainly be doing my homework between now and then, but I will admit Detroit is not at the top of my list for where the cask is.

EDIT

Or an Emblem of B from the new verse, perhaps? Just spitballing in realtime now... I was on Belle Isle last spring as well. I obviously wasn't on the lookout for world's fair benches but they should still be there. Or are you suggesting since Belle Isle doesn't have good Google streetview access it might be a tempting location for the cask?

Wonderful thanks. I spent the last few hours looking at photos, maps, and youtube videos of Belle Isle, and I find nothing of interest.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong

Drunk Nerds posted:

Wonderful thanks. I spent the last few hours looking at photos, maps, and youtube videos of Belle Isle, and I find nothing of interest.

I can't honestly think there will be much of additional interest on Belle Isle, but I'm willing to eliminate that suspect for the team next Saturday.

I also can't believe you didn't take a picture of yourself sitting on (drinking a beer on?) a World's Fair Bench at the Arboretum. We could have a really bitchin' slideshow of this country's various world's fair benches before this thing is over, but I see you obviously hate America.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Merlot Brougham posted:

I can't honestly think there will be much of additional interest on Belle Isle, but I'm willing to eliminate that suspect for the team next Saturday.

I also can't believe you didn't take a picture of yourself sitting on (drinking a beer on?) a World's Fair Bench at the Arboretum. We could have a really bitchin' slideshow of this country's various world's fair benches before this thing is over, but I see you obviously hate America.

I took a picture of me and my family next to the bench, though?

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong

Drunk Nerds posted:

I took a picture of me and my family next to the bench, though?

If you are serious about being Mr. October in the "Men of the Secret Tribute Hunt" calendar, you're going to have to do a hell of a lot better than a picture of you with your family next to the bench.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong

Drunk Nerds posted:

Protip: We were told that the cask was hidden in such a way that it could not be found with Google alone. Other search engines can occasionally yield different and worthwhile results. :science:

3M TA3
Oct 1, 2018

Statue is in the Public Garden in Boston. Benches are everywhere and this one is on the Comm Ave Mall leading to the Public Garden. Pictures are from a poster on q4t. He will be going back out soon to get a better pic of the bench. Most are buried in the snow.
Barstool Sports originated and is super popular in Boston.Their motto is VIVA LA BARSTOOL! The term is exchanged by known stoolies as simply VIVA! I don't know if any of this means poo poo but that foot looks solid.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Barstool Sports connection is a hell of a reach, also would they really have buried the 13th casque in a city one of the original casques were buried in?

That statue foot is really goddamn close though.

3M TA3
Oct 1, 2018

asecondduck posted:

The Barstool Sports connection is a hell of a reach, also would they really have buried the 13th casque in a city one of the original casques were buried in?

That statue foot is really goddamn close though.

Don’t really know about the original city vs tribute city. One would think he stayed away from the original 12.
If image 11 is really for Boston, it was special enough to be on the cover of the original book making it the only image appearing more than once.

Barstool is a stretch, agreed. But it’s hot in the streets of every college town in the country. Who the hell knows? The problem right now is the entire country is in play. Benches and other image matches are all we have to go by right now. That poo poo is everywhere.

3M TA3 fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 10, 2019

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong
Image 13

Only going on gut feeling, but I don't think it would be in Boston. That statue is worth a look, but is there anything else in the image or verse to put us there?

Here's the dilema I'm in when I try to figure out how shallow or deep we need to get with this:

How smart/dumb does JM think people looking for this are? What kind of extrapolation of the clues is expected? We are slowly getting an idea if we follow what is and isn't getting attention by him on Facebook. He hasn't said peep or liked or commented on anythng about a worlds fair bench, so I suspect we have that one nailed.

Do we really just need to find a straight line from the Alamo and then take a sharp turn into the park where it's buried?

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"
You could argue the Lindbergh statue in St. Paul has a similar foot though, and also fits the adventurer + twins comments.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong
Image 13

Paul Proteus posted:

You could argue the Lindbergh statue in St. Paul has a similar foot though

edit: I don't feel the Lindbergh statue is a very strong match, but I have a bias, as St. Paul is not a port city.

Merlot Brougham fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 11, 2019

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong
IMAGE 13

Well poo poo, pack it in. The hunt for the new cask is over:

SomeDudeWhois100%Sure posted:

A little more detail about the solution. After solving the poem lines and images to a single location and confirming it in words, I traveled to the location to find images galore there. Without giving too much detail, the planter is next to and/or behind multiple images of the painting. The planter has on its left end an overhanging branch with wires resting on the branch (as in the dangling tourmaline) and on its right end a dangling pulley (also in the painting). The remaining line of the poem seems to point directly at the left end of the planter where the overhanging wire is. Being that the painting indicates this image with the tourmaline dangling behind other images, I dug 3+ feet deep and for four feet around. I still cannot think of any other satisfactory final poem line/image solution that uses all images (specifically the wire dangling the tourmaline from the branch) knowing the layout of the location. There is no other place with the dangling wires anywhere else there, and the remaining line from the poem does not seem to point elsewhere there. I tried a less satisfactory reinterpretation while I was there as well just in case. I took photographs of all the images in the area, but I do not want to release them just yet because most of them give an exact location (signs, names, etc.), and others give a general location (building types, tree types, etc.).

Just to state it again, EVERY image in the painting was used, yes even the rounded back right corner of the chair seat. Way too much to be a coincidence. This is absolutely the place.

While I was there, a local came up to talk, ask what I was digging for, and whether it was for a dog. He then mentioned that someone was digging in the same planter last year to bury their dog. My first thought was "Oh no, the person may have inadvertently dug it up" then it was "he may have seen the person originally bury it", but it may have just been a weird coincidence, not sure.

Does anyone know if there is an email to contact the creator(s)in case my original exact solution was right? I know they do not want a written solution, but I may go back there if they can confirm I had the right digging spot.

Back to making GBS threads on Xie, I guess.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Isn't $2500 at stake? Announcing that you've found it and even giving details of the location seems kinda dangerous before you actually dig it up. Someone else might be close and you've given them the solution.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I went down a bit of a rabbit hole chasing Jamestown (based off the fact that one John Smith biography called him a "man of adventure") and while I'm fairly certain that's a dead end it did leave me thinking that "your way has a twin" and "stands at the beginning and end" means that the "way" in question is some sort of loop road or trail with a statue at the beginning.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
You gotta have something special about you to be so certain about a solution even after you dug it and THE CASQUE WASN'T THERE

Introspection and admitting you might be wrong is super hard for a lot of people involved in the hunt.

Edit: That "solve" wasn't from the fB page, was it? If it was, I've got some modding to do.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Mar 11, 2019

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong
Image 13

Drunk Nerds posted:

Edit: That "solve" wasn't from the fB page, was it? If it was, I've got some modding to do.

No, that was from the Mysterious Writings forum.

3M TA3
Oct 1, 2018

Drunk Nerds posted:

These solves remind me of people who call the police saying they have solved a famous cold murder case and name their weird uncle as the culprit.

What part of that complete bullshit story wasn’t acceptable for the Facebook page? Serious question.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

3M TA3 posted:

These solves remind me of people who call the police saying they have solved a famous cold murder case and name their weird uncle as the culprit.

What part of that complete bullshit story wasn’t acceptable for the Facebook page? Serious question.

It shared barely any info. Even the one "I solved it" post on the fb page had some photos.

For some reason, a few people tend to believe those "I solved it" posts, and I don't want those people giving up the search.

Plus its obnoxious and doesn't foster any discussion. Every other board except this one has been overrun with crazy people who post too much and have no interest in refining their methods.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 11, 2019

3M TA3
Oct 1, 2018

Drunk Nerds posted:

It shared barely any info. Even the one "I solved it" post on the fb page had some photos.

For some reason, a few people tend to believe those "I solved it" posts, and I don't want those people giving up the search.

Plus its obnoxious and doesn't foster any discussion. Every other board except this one has been overrun with crazy people who post too much and have no interest in refining their methods.

Well put. I can appreciate that.

GoldenFuckingGate
Sep 5, 2018
100% impressed with the theories put forward on the 13th casque.

Sure there are a couple nut jobs ("Evan" if that's his real name) but overall, it's refreshingly collaborative.

Also jealous because I've gotten nowhere on it.

GoldenFuckingGate fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Mar 13, 2019

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong
IMAGE 13

GoldenFuckingGate posted:

100% impressed with the theories put forward on the 13th casque.

Sure there are a couple nut jobs ("Evan" if that's his real name) but overall, it's refreshingly collaborative.

Also jealous because I've gotten nowhere on it.

Find the correct World's Fair Bench, find the casque. Maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
http://klynchandsons.com/1939-worlds-fair-bench/

Or just buy a bench and put it wherever you want so you can screw with people.