Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

wit posted:

I know the game is ambiguous on lore but having stumbled upon a librarian in the farthest east and just had my mary sue blasted up (carrying said ambiguous lore funny enough), are those maybe malfunctioning orbital lasers from the apocalypse? They couldn't be any kind of radiation, not the way they move.

Yeah pretty much, if you bring a Skeleton the first time you go to the Venge they will say something about a malfunctioning eye. I took it to be a giant orbital solar magnifying glass transmitting energy to the surface. Maybe it was some kinda pre-apocalypse power system.

You can avoid the Solar death laser by traveling through the Venge at night too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

juggalo baby coffin posted:

ive been playing as a skeleton as my first game, and so far i have levelled up my labour ability a lot by mining stuff. Is there a way to craft building materials, or am i stuck buying them from the bartender? also the city i started in is completely broken except for the bar, can I help fix up the place or anything to get more stores?

you can't add more shops to the city but you for sure can buy every building and fix it if you want to. building materials are crafted with stone if i remember right, which is collected by a building you'll need to make outside of city limits. the early game is a lot more freeform than it seems, if you're bored of The Hub just pick a direction and start walking.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
This game is surprisingly good about telling you its backstory without resorting to Bioware text snippets. There is a lot of useful (or less useful) information hidden in character interactions and random party chatter. One of your skeletons may, at one point, terrify the rest of your party by telling them about the scary monsters of the wasteland, and how none were ever worse than Cat-Lon.

People weren't afraid of Cat-Lon. They are afraid of Cat-Lon. Go and find out why. He has been waiting for it for a long time.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

solo playthroughs are the most fun having

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Percelus posted:

solo playthroughs are the most fun having

Look at this wasteland incel not having a harem of big titty battle waifus to travel the wastelands with :smugbert:

On a more serious note, would turning up damage done increase the rate of Toughness experience, or should I go in the opposite direction? If it helps, it's for a martial arts playthrough.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Set it to minimum. Any amount of damage received gives the same amount of XP, so the longer you can get yourself beaten up, the better. Supposedly, getting back up when you should be playing dead gives the most, though, so I guess there's a theoretical sweet spot for the damage settings that would maximize experience gain - but really, would you want to spend the time bothering to figure it out?

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

getting knocked out repeatedly is the best way to lvl toughness, not just tanking damage

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Harder to micro-manage, though. High damage settings make it very easy to lose limbs. Low damage for taking means you can just take a crowd of Hungry Bandit prisoners, lock them in a room with yourself, and come back when everything is beaten back into unconsciousness.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

God gently caress the crater

I made it out of there with one of my main explorers having lost a limb and with having looted nothing of real value unless you count dried meat, and that was a good outcome, after savescumming several times because otherwise it would have been a TPK.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

so im just out here trying to have a normal robot life, building a shack, building a rock cruncher, and freakin honkeys keep rolling up to try and kick my rear end. i have to run to the nearby town so the beefy klingon guards can wreck up the bandits, but im having to spend a lot of money on robot first aid, which sucks.

i dont know how to level up my fightin skill because every enemy so far has attacked in a group of 20

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You really need a team of badasses before you try to set up your own outpost.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Or, optionally, hire a group of mercenaries and let their contracts run out while in your base. If it still works as it used to pre-1.0, they'll just kind of keep hanging around, because walking home is too much work.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

well, i managed to score some money by just accidentally provoking a bar thug into attacking me, then stealing all his expensive clothes while he was ko'd.

then i accidentally wandered into religion territory and was murdered by paladins for the crime of being a robot. i'm gonna reload that save.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
When I try to assign people with the job of disposing of corpses and/or throwing intruders out of town they just throw a guy over their shoulder and go back to whatever other lower priority jobs they have like mining, carrying the body around the whole time. Anyone had luck getting people to automatically get rid of bodies?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The best way to do corpse disposal is by having it be the only thing on the job list of a dedicated cremator. It also is a good idea to only activate that job when the character is enclosed within a walled location with no exit, because they'll try to burn every corpse within their collection radius, starting at the top left about half a gazillion miles away from wherever they currently are, and going scanwise from there. It can make them run ridiculous distances to pick up that dead bug you left behind an hour ago.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I was kind of hoping to avoid having a guy who is standing around useless like 90% of the time. I guess the easiest thing would be a guy who only has like one other job and adding/removing it whenever I need a body cleanup.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

That would also work, but in general, dedicated workers are pretty much the best way to do anything in this game. The AI is good at getting whatever and wherever it needs in order to do what you want it to, but it is bad at prioritizing. Instead of, for example, two guys who both do two things together, having those two guys do each only one thing works better in nearly every case.

Corpse collecting comes up rarely enough that you can put it at the bottom of the list of someone who does things like farming, since that has plenty of downtime anyway and they'll just squeeze it in there whenever there is currently nothing to harvest.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

When I need to deal with corpses I tend to partially micro the process. I take one of my dedicated miners (who only has a few jobs to reassign), clear his job queue and then make him a dedicated corpse disposal dude. I'll set some obvious job as last in his queue so that I know if he starts doing it, he's run out of corpses. Pathing is wonky enough in the game that he'll get tripped up by gates, even if they're open, and I'll often need to manually move him around or quicksave/load a handful of times to reset pathing.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Comrayn posted:

I was kind of hoping to avoid having a guy who is standing around useless like 90% of the time. I guess the easiest thing would be a guy who only has like one other job and adding/removing it whenever I need a body cleanup.

Its very difficult to minmax in this game and get an airtight assembly line going with even moderate efficiency. poo poo just ends up getting done. Probably why you don't see many kenshi spreadsheets knocking around. Generally speaking steve the farmer should only farm, jim the cook should only cook etc. I'd say the most complex you should go is have furnace guy also be town guard.

It might be worth hitting up the devs to find out exactly how the hivemind works, they sound pretty approachable. From looking at the pathing and borked jobs I'd say its a straight up first guy added in team regardless of squad arrangement picks jobs, then second guy. If one happens to reach the job before the other, then the other has to wait another tick or go through their priorities to find another job in need of doing. Probably not explaining that very well but it makes a lot of sense of certain quirks and the musical chairs game they all play when several finish a task. It would certainly be a nice thing to get a QoL mod on, it creates a lot of bottlenecks.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

kedo posted:

When I need to deal with corpses I tend to partially micro the process. I take one of my dedicated miners (who only has a few jobs to reassign), clear his job queue and then make him a dedicated corpse disposal dude. I'll set some obvious job as last in his queue so that I know if he starts doing it, he's run out of corpses. Pathing is wonky enough in the game that he'll get tripped up by gates, even if they're open, and I'll often need to manually move him around or quicksave/load a handful of times to reset pathing.

Remember that ctrl+shift+f11 will rebuild the navmesh. That's fixed pathing around my settlement a bunch when people are hung up on doorways and buildings.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Everybody gets the pick up body job so everyone can get swole, then if we're getting a little infested by beak things I turn on incinerate job for someone being underutilized.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Last night I settled in The Eye just north of Venge because there's boatloads of iron and some copper there, and I like the aesthetic of having death lasers blasting away a few meters from my settlement. Thing is it's technically UC territory so they got real mad when they showed up and saw the hemp I was growing, I fought off a few waves of attacks but eventually they overwhelmed me and... left? I'm not hostile to the UC and they didn't even take my food or enslave anyone. Now I'm not even getting visits from the tax man. Did I discover the one weird trick to never paying UC taxes again, or is this just temporary?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I've just built my first outpost, between Squint and the hive village near the border zone, reddit calls that place rainbow valley. That was a lot of busy work and try-and-error work, because I haven't read anything. Anyhow, since I have completed my walls and turrets, there has been 0 attacks from anything, like five or six days without trouble.

I get why people likes base building, but I've found that's not for me, the logistic and infrastructure set-up is a major pain in the rear end, and it takes a long time due to how slow production is, although there are mods to solve that. Maybe base building it's not for me and I should try the wandering life more.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I started as a Retired Empire Samurai the other day (It's on the workshop, start with 70 in appropriate skills, a full suit of armor, a good katana, and 50,000 cats). Immediately hired some rando and spent my entire 50,000 outfitting her and a pack gar, wound up having to patch up and enslave some farmers outside the gate to get a little more seed money. Set off to the south, with my samurai capable of soloing entire parties of Grass Pirates and my bow-wielding teammate capable of doing more damage to the samurai than the enemy did. Along the way we collected three hivers into the party, and eventually settled on the eastern shore near Black Scratch.

Along the way, one of my hivers had lost a leg to reavers, and a Grass Pirate attack as we were starting to produce building materials left the other two unconscious and crippled, so my samurai and his by-now-competent bowfriend tucked the hivers and the gar into our tiny shack, took the Grass Pirate swords, and set off for Black Scratch to buy a new leg and some more books. Two parties of Reavers attacked us on the way, however, and not even our elite samurai skills could keep up with the sheer amount of can openers trying to hit us. The humans were enslaved, and the hivers are basically useless in a fight, so I'm gonna call that game a loss.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
This game isn't technically a roguelike, I guess. The stories it produces are on par with one, and I love having a new save implode because of it. I'm not playing a different game each save; the same stuff is in the same places. But some little variable like where the slavers and the starving bandits spawned make for hugely different experiences. That's the kind of gameplay experience that hooks me and keeps me around.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Gadzuko posted:

Last night I settled in The Eye just north of Venge because there's boatloads of iron and some copper there, and I like the aesthetic of having death lasers blasting away a few meters from my settlement. Thing is it's technically UC territory so they got real mad when they showed up and saw the hemp I was growing, I fought off a few waves of attacks but eventually they overwhelmed me and... left? I'm not hostile to the UC and they didn't even take my food or enslave anyone. Now I'm not even getting visits from the tax man. Did I discover the one weird trick to never paying UC taxes again, or is this just temporary?

Nah there are a few god awful places not worth visiting by factions there anything near the death beams seems a turn off. And I think you sound far enough from Heft to be left alone by them. Good luck in that hellhole, its where I'm thinking of settling there too. I just want a bit of desert but a drop of rain. Skeleton bands keep trying to beat the poo poo out of my runners there though. I dont think I could deal with them as the local pest.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

CommissarMega posted:

Look at this wasteland incel not having a harem of big titty battle waifus to travel the wastelands with :smugbert:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Okay, when I installed a mod that said it gave starving bandits loot, I was expecting like, maybe a trade good occasionally. Not giant backpacks full of AI cores and hemp.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Dareon posted:

Okay, when I installed a mod that said it gave starving bandits loot, I was expecting like, maybe a trade good occasionally. Not giant backpacks full of AI cores and hemp.

Yeah, I'm finding some of the mods are ridiculously unbalanced. I have the "shops have more items" mod installed and it gives the bar at The Hub a bunch of ancient science books and engineering research. Every vendor has like half a million cats, give or take $100k. I definitely would not recommend it for a first playthrough but it makes living in town and selling off loot a lot easier.

I also installed the weight bench strength training mod, and people say it is cheaty but idgaf - training a primary combat stat should not be as weird and counterintuitive as carrying around dead bodies and rock for weeks on end

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
After losing a group in my recent UC citizen start, I'm now convinced that the sheks are the nicest faction among the big ones by far. gently caress the UC and the Holy Nation.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

wit posted:

Nah there are a few god awful places not worth visiting by factions there anything near the death beams seems a turn off. And I think you sound far enough from Heft to be left alone by them. Good luck in that hellhole, its where I'm thinking of settling there too. I just want a bit of desert but a drop of rain. Skeleton bands keep trying to beat the poo poo out of my runners there though. I dont think I could deal with them as the local pest.

If you want an arid/green combo you can settle in the far southeast Eye/northeast Venge where it meets the shore zone. It still looks like desert but the green climate starts up around there.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

i had a pretty good run going as a bug man but i got lost in holy dickhead territory and they chopped my leg off

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Gadzuko posted:

I'm not sure if this is a bug or intentional, but the same thing happened to me with the Shek - I let them take food every time they visited but one time they showed up and just wanted to fight. They came back with ever-larger raids a few more times until it culminated in a "Shek Vengeance" event, which was a good couple dozen Hundred Guardians who absolutely kicked my poo poo in. Then they left and never came back :shrug:

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
In the inventory screen you have slots for 2 weapons, the only time I have ever seen someone auto switch was from ranged to melee. Is there any other time a character needs a 2nd weapon if they are not ranged?

Also I came across a group of 13 deranged robots who consider me their master, luckily I talked to them with a character that is disposable because now they wont go away and protect him violently if they even think someone might give him a cold. Even nomad traders die a quick death. I think I will use them as a scouting crew through beak thing infested lands and see how long they last.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

OgNar posted:

In the inventory screen you have slots for 2 weapons, the only time I have ever seen someone auto switch was from ranged to melee. Is there any other time a character needs a 2nd weapon if they are not ranged?

Weapons that can't fit in the smaller slot typically need 2 hands to use, if that person can't use both hands they'll swap to the smaller weapon that can still be used with 1 hand. Also larger weapons tend to get indoor penalties and smaller weapons will get indoor bonuses, and they'll swap as needed.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

They'll switch to the secondary weapon if the main weapon is a 2-hander (doesn't fit in the secondary slot) and they get an arm disabled/chopped off, or indoors if the primary weapon has a penalty

e: beaten

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

If you're fighting indoors, your main weapon has an indoors penalty, and your offhand doesn't, then they'll switch

E:f;b

^ ^^ :hfive:

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
drat, I was thinking it was useless but didn't consider that. Thanks.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

i accidentally joined some kind of robot cult who wears human skins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

OgNar posted:

drat, I was thinking it was useless but didn't consider that. Thanks.

I think I read dual wield was a planned thing but ultimately dropped