Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Does anyone have recommendations for a GPU-based renderer to be used in Modo (and possibly Houdini later)? For hobby work

Octane seems like the only choice here, but hopefully someone has experience with others. Or is Octane decent enough ?

The difference in speeds is ridiculous, but not a lot of clear info online about prices and cons and so on. Some guy on the maya forums is arguing that GPU Renderers aren’t necessarily better, but the speed gainz seem amazing

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Ccs posted:

Looks s bit more like grass than fur, maybe cause it’s too even.

Thanks. I gotta shift to getting some clothes done but I am gonna get back to the fur as soon as the jacket is done. Looks too fluffy to me and probably too long.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for a GPU-based renderer to be used in Modo (and possibly Houdini later)? For hobby work

Octane seems like the only choice here, but hopefully someone has experience with others. Or is Octane decent enough ?

The difference in speeds is ridiculous, but not a lot of clear info online about prices and cons and so on. Some guy on the maya forums is arguing that GPU Renderers aren’t necessarily better, but the speed gainz seem amazing

I have a VJ friend who uses Octane for C4D and swears by it. Super super fast. Very tempting for me to try but I am currently using Arnold only because I have to teach it.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Feb 23, 2019

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Enjoy my cheesy discovery of backplates and a little perspective in keyshot

goodness fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Feb 23, 2019

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

A lot of the folks and groups that I follow for Houdini use Redshift. The Facebook houdini artists group are always posting Redshift renders, I can't remember the last time that I saw anyone post an Octane render. The Entagma guys use Redshift. This is just to say that there are plenty of people using that GPU renderer and making a living with it. I don't know the technical pros/cons, or how much use they get in different fields, but it's certainly one to look into.

Redshift goes on sale sometimes, but it just ended a winter sale so it might be a while. I just picked it up and an animation that took 90 hours to render with houdini's Mantra renderer took 12 hours with Redshift. It wasn't the most scientific test where I was sure to control for every setting, just a quick and dirty test, but still, I'd highly recommend GPU rendering if you go the Houdini route.

Here's the Entagma guys discussing this very issue.

I just looked, Redshift is also cheaper than Octane and provide their plugins for free, so you don't have to worry about which DCC package you use, but they don't have a plugin for Modo, so that might be the dealbreaker there for you.

Listerine fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Feb 23, 2019

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Might want to check but I think redshift doesn't render atmospherics very well yet. I think a lot of Houdini ppl still use mantra for that. We use redshift for max and it's quick and good, but had to use vray for some detailed clouds a while back

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

EoinCannon posted:

Might want to check but I think redshift doesn't render atmospherics very well yet. I think a lot of Houdini ppl still use mantra for that. We use redshift for max and it's quick and good, but had to use vray for some detailed clouds a while back

Yeah I don't know, I've seen some cool renders with fog/smoke/mist/clouds but no idea how efficient Redshift was for the work.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
Hey do any of you use the latest version of Marmoset?

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

A little work on the fur and jacket.
I really wanted to try out Marvelous Designer but learning new software isn't usually wise under a tight deadline.

Really struggling with what to put in his other hand. A "monkey wrench" might be a little too on the nose. If he is part of a "biker gang" then a beer was suggested. If he is fixing a broken wall then a wrench might make sense. Another idea was an industrial incesticide sprayer. He would be flying around and spot spraying poppy fields?

What do you guys think? Any thoughts on what a utopian flying monkey in a monowheel might be carrying around?

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Feb 24, 2019

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Did a thing in a quiet day and a half at work

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

sigma 6 posted:

A little work on the fur and jacket.
I really wanted to try out Marvelous Designer but learning new software isn't usually wise under a tight deadline.

Really struggling with what to put in his other hand. A "monkey wrench" might be a little too on the nose. If he is part of a "biker gang" then a beer was suggested. If he is fixing a broken wall then a wrench might make sense. Another idea was an industrial incesticide sprayer. He would be flying around and spot spraying poppy fields?

What do you guys think? Any thoughts on what a utopian flying monkey in a monowheel might be carrying around?

You either need to go more abstract or more realistic with the fur. The styling of everything really clashes with the current fur.
It really needs to be groomed.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

EoinCannon posted:

Did a thing in a quiet day and a half at work

Why did you model me

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/nialljtaylor/status/1100081060573052928?s=21

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

let the machine live your fantasy

Masey
Aug 22, 2006
Pancakes.
So I'm pretty new to 3d sculpting but I have a fairly strong foundation in traditional art with decent experience in traditional sculpting. This is the last thing I made in Sculptris.

(more angles here: https://imgur.com/a/KhC7qHD )

I've only ever really used Sculptris as I graduated from school 3 years ago and obtaining a license for anything else would be difficult save for Blender (which I used to animate something for a project once).
What I'm getting at is, I'd really like to work in the game industry. There seems to be way more positions available in 3d roles than 2d and I actually quite liked making stuff in Sculptris for the few hours I've done and I miss sculpting from school so I don't think I'd be unhappy in the role. What should I learn and where should I go next (software wise) as someone who would like to be character and/or a prop artist in the game industry?

low quality jpeg
Mar 10, 2012

The difference in speeds is ridiculous, but not a lot of clear info online about prices and cons and so on. Some guy on the maya forums is arguing that GPU Renderers arent necessarily better, but the speed gainz seem amazing

I use c4d but i absolutely love octane.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I’m currently torn between V-Ray and Octane. Both support Modo as plugins, but V-Ray is one version behind the newest V-Ray Next.

I’ve seen some Octane reviews that imply it needs more “work” to look right under Modo, but they’re kinda old videos, and even then the speed looks great.

V-Ray seems pretty all around, similar in price too, and has a GPU renderer as well.

Probably can’t lose with either, the default renderer is just too slow

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-
I made another thing.

Getting a lot of mileage out of that skull model :) Couldn't figure out why the fabric gets tessellated in some spots though.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's an interesting composition but the skull seems to have a philtrum.
Also it's nasal cavity is really wide should be more teardrop shaped

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

This is a smidge out of the usual thread topics, but I'm looking to use the Cinema4D Command Line Renderer to farm out renders to my home workstation. I've got a strong preference for running Fedora at home for some other workflows, and only CentOS and Ubuntu are listed for the Command Line Renderer Client. Anyone have any experience running the C4D Command Line Renderer on Linux?

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Vancouver is a big vfx hub isn't it? Where are all the studios based?
I got back from a work trip there, I'm just curious because I think I heard someone mention it in this thread.
Surprisingly expensive city. Great place though, felt like a mashup of London and NYC.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

cubicle gangster posted:

I got back from a work trip there, I'm just curious because I think I heard someone mention it in this thread.
Surprisingly expensive city. Great place though, felt like a mashup of London and NYC.

It is. My friend just got back from a year or two of studies at a place in Vancouver. He said most of the stuff is cinema centric since that is where the big bucks are, but ultimately he is doing music vjing.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

cubicle gangster posted:

The biggest VFX hub in the world, I believe, although Montreal is getting quite big too now.
Vancouver is *very* sleepy compared to London/NYC. (and I quite like it that way, after previously spending 15 years in London).

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I should have done this first, but i just google mapped it to see where they are based and have Sony, scanline, darkhorse, pixomodo, ILM & Zoic within 4 blocks of where this new project is located. That's nuts.

We stay nearby at the pacific rim, i'll be there every coupe of months for the next year if anyone fancies grabbing a beer next time i'm up. Will be there again around mid-may probably.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 4, 2019

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

cubicle gangster posted:

I should have done this first, but i just google mapped it to see where they are based and have Sony, scanline, darkhorse, pixomodo, ILM & Zoic within 4 blocks of where this new project is located. That's nuts.

We stay nearby at the pacific rim, i'll be there every coupe of months for the next year if anyone fancies grabbing a beer next time i'm up. Will be there again around mid-may probably.

Montreal here but feel free to say if you're in town too.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Back to photogrammetry talk for a quick sec!

So this is the eagle statue I need to capture:

https://goo.gl/images/KJjJ3K

Good news is that it's just for pre-viz... doesn't need to be production ready or anything.

More good news is that there are TWO smaller replicas that aren't 30 feet tall. So I'll most likely use those and not have to take out the drone.

My biggest question is those wings. What would be the best way to capture those? Would I ever want to go "between" the wings and try to get each one separately? Or just keep my photos to a general all encompassing sphere?

Seems like if I go between the wings, the software might get confused about where it is in the scene since some of the common geometry would get obfuscated.

Or do I do the body, each wing separately, and join in Maya?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Odddzy posted:

Montreal here but feel free to say if you're in town too.

I’m also in Montreal, animating for vfx.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Zbrush 2019 features!

http://pixologic.com/features/?fbclid=IwAR3ACev9D-fkhK5eaZsd5Y3XX_SJ_pZ_ChIAXWNUXDqrXy_L72h_BqPcM3c

finally, subtool folders!

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

cubicle gangster posted:

London is even more compact in terms of location, as they're all in Soho.

But yeah, drop me note next time you're in Vancouver.

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007

BonoMan posted:

Back to photogrammetry talk for a quick sec!

So this is the eagle statue I need to capture:

https://goo.gl/images/KJjJ3K

Good news is that it's just for pre-viz... doesn't need to be production ready or anything.

More good news is that there are TWO smaller replicas that aren't 30 feet tall. So I'll most likely use those and not have to take out the drone.

My biggest question is those wings. What would be the best way to capture those? Would I ever want to go "between" the wings and try to get each one separately? Or just keep my photos to a general all encompassing sphere?

Seems like if I go between the wings, the software might get confused about where it is in the scene since some of the common geometry would get obfuscated.

Or do I do the body, each wing separately, and join in Maya?

I've had the best results with appendages using reality capture. After completing my high/med/low rotations, I'll slowly start to zoom in on a limb and then do a rotation on it once it fills the frame. The biggest thing is making sure you have enough of a transition between the full shot and detail shots so it can build up reference points.

If that doesn't work, you'll still have all the information to stitch it in Maya.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

ImplicitAssembler posted:

You either need to go more abstract or more realistic with the fur. The styling of everything really clashes with the current fur.
It really needs to be groomed.

You are right. Fur needs a lot more work. Jacket is close to done though. Now I see why so many people have chosen to use Marvelous Designer.

As for the new Zbrush. The improvements to Zremesher are super exciting too. As is the NPR (non photorealistic renderer) features.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 6, 2019

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
I've been trying to import a model including animations I made in Blender, but every time I export the object as fbx, the animation is blank. I tried immediately importing the fbx into Blender and sure enough, all the different actions are blank with a single keyframe along the duration with the armature in the rest pose. I tried different export settings, but nothing made a difference. My only guess is that there's something wrong with the hierarchy because I don't think the structure in the outliner is supposed to look like this.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Just curious but what is your daily CG reading?
I mainly check Artstation, CGChannel and 80lvl. Sometimes 3dtotal. Not sure if there's some essential website I should be checking often

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Lesterbanks and Flipped Normals are good too.

Speaking of, does anyone subscribe to any CG-focused actual magazines? I used to get Cinefex, but I know there are other, thinner, more art-focused print stuff out there but I have no idea if any of them are any good.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Someone help me budget, my family is dying!

Does anyone know who the artist who did this is? All I can find is reddit comments from people who take way too many drugs

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/zuggamasta/status/1105780947520290826

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
Whew... just wrapped up a demo for a company at GDC, wonder if it'll pop up online or not... I guess I'll know by next week.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Huh, so Modo has a literal turntable button to render, well, turntables. :doh:
I learned how to animate a little because I didn’t know

Anyway,.. Whats an easy way to convert a bunch of png frames into a video for YouTube or general sharing? For free, since I don’t have video editing soft and it’s too expensive just for random stuff

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Any video editor outside of like, windows movie maker should have that capability. Blender can too, if you want a bigger learning curve for your video editing experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Huh, so The Foundry got bought by Roper Technologies (???)

Never heard of them, or their owned businesses - http://www.ropertech.com/application-software

Wonder if this is good or bad for Modo 🤔