Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Dogs are always the best JRPG party members, with a certain pink exception.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
calling poshul a dog is an insult to dogs

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Shadow Hearts Covenant: where the dog is the smartest party member by a mile.

RandomMagus
May 3, 2017

Sgt Thud posted:

Just you wait....just you goddamn wait :getin:

Postcards? Prescription medicine bottles? Overly elaborately decorated cakes? Progressively larger balloon animals?

The suspense is killing me.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Woohoo, Crest Magic! One thing that this helps Covenant over SH1 is that characters are a lot more customizable-they have a basic skillset unique to them that acts as a solid base, and then you can use Crest Magic to fill in gaps or specialize. For example, for endgame, I had Gepetto outfitted with the strongest magic for full-out offense, while Blanca was a switch hitter who could heal, buff, and attack physically or magically.

OminousEdge
Apr 4, 2013

RandomMagus posted:

Postcards? Prescription medicine bottles? Overly elaborately decorated cakes? Progressively larger balloon animals?

The suspense is killing me.

It gets REALLY Freakin Weird.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

The dog is smarter than Yuri?

Yeah that makes sense.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Is... nobody going to mention the weird, apparently-alive little girl puppet Gepetto is carrying around

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

megane posted:

Is... nobody going to mention the weird, apparently-alive little girl puppet Gepetto is carrying around

No.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Speedball posted:

Yeah, I know, right? Yuri is basically a demonic god-man by the end of Shadow Hearts 1, this is a great way to bring him back down to normal with the other adventurers.

(though I do like the explanation we get in Devil May Cry for why Dante has different weapons every game: he sells the extras to keep the lights on between adventures, haha)
Mega Man Legends 2 uses a similar explanation, except it's Roll who sells MM's weapons, without his knowledge, after taking his money to upgrade them in the first game.

Also, I find the idea of Roll as an arms dealer vaguely amusing.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Omobono posted:

Shadow Hearts Covenant: where the dog is the smartest party member by a mile.

Whenever we get Ultima The Crest, or whatever drops meteors on people, it's got to immediately go on the dog so the dog can be smug about it.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

megane posted:

Here in Shadow Hearts: Covenant we deal with our weird poo poo one at a time. The puppet girl isn't immediately pressing, therefore it can wait.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

The Dark Id posted:

Boy Gepetto and Blanca

Granted, that's not going to be too much of an issue when dealing with these scrubs. Especially the ones that are literally sentient scrubs.
Both.

Is "scrub" a form of regional dialect for "shrub" somewhere in the US?

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Adnor posted:

The dog is smarter than Yuri?

Yeah that makes sense.

He's a wolf.

One of the running gags of Covenant is that Blanca is way more competent than the chucklefucks he hangs with.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Xander77 posted:

Both.

Is "scrub" a form of regional dialect for "shrub" somewhere in the US?

Merriam-webster online dictionary posted:

Definition of scrub
(Entry 1 of 3)
1a: a stunted tree or shrub
b: vegetation consisting chiefly of scrubs
c: a tract covered with scrub

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

I'm pretty sure a scrub is a guy who can't get no love from me; hanging out the passenger side of his best friend's ride, trying to holler at me.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Ratoslov posted:

Here in Shadow Hearts: Covenant we deal with our weird poo poo one at a time. The puppet girl isn't immediately pressing, therefore it can wait.

Iirc it's quite a bit before Geppetto's deal is really explained.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Crest magic is definitely a good stab at trying to balance what Yuri brings to the table. It doesn't fully work, mind you, but at least they tried.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
The crest stuff is kind of cool, would be fun to see how each demons relate to the crests: (taking stuff from wikipedia):

Focalor: Focalor (also Forcalor, Furcalor) is a powerful Great Duke of Hell, commanding three or thirty legions of spirits.
Focalor appears in the form of a man with a griffin's wings, kills men, drowns them, and overthrows warships; but if commanded by the conjurer he will not harm any man or thing.
Focalor has power over wind and sea, and had hoped to return to heaven after one thousand years, but he was deceived in his hope.

Hmmm I guess the power over the sea kind of matches the ice attack? Kind of a stretch though.

Andras : A Great Marquis of Hell, having under his command thirty legions of demons.
He sows discord among people. According to the Goetia, Andras was appearing with a winged angel's body and the head of an owl or raven, riding upon a strong black wolf and wielding a sharp and bright sword.
He was also responsible for sowing discord, and commanded 30 infernal legions.
Andras was considered to be a highly dangerous demon, who could kill the conjuring magician and his assistants if precautions were not taken.

Ehhh giving more evasion is really annoying so I say that fits sowing discord :v:

Furfur: Furfur (also Furtur) is a powerful Great Earl of Hell, being the ruler of twenty-six legions of demons. He is a liar unless compelled to enter a magic triangle where he gives true answers to every question, speaking with a rough voice.
Furfur causes love between a man and a woman, creates storms, tempests, thunder, lightning, and blasts, and teaches on secret and divine things.
He is depicted as a hart or winged hart, and also as an angel.

Gale attack seems quite fitting here.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mokinokaro posted:

Iirc it's quite a bit before Geppetto's deal is really explained.

We're gonna end up fighting Pinocchio, aren't we? :ohdear:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
"Lemme tell you about that time I was inside a whale... I was thinking it couldn't get worse, but then those anime boys showed up"

"Always talking about hearts and darkness... Thats's about the time I started drinking."

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Mar 11, 2019

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Blanca is a female name, game! Come on! With that said, Gepetto and the doll apparently attack by doing sassy poses at the enemy, so I'll forgive you this time, Shadow Hearts.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

GimmickMan posted:

Blanca is a female name, game! Come on!

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

GimmickMan posted:

Blanca is a female name, game! Come on!

They get the sex wrong, but it's a loose reference to a story.

And of course Gepetto is Gepetto. Proably got a girl puppet after getting sick of Pinocchio's poo poo.

quote:

Upon being born, Pinocchio immediately laughs derisively in his creator's face, whereupon he steals the old man's wig.

Or after Pinocchio was lynched.

quote:

…a tempestuous northerly wind began to blow and roar angrily, and it beat the poor puppet from side to side, making him swing violently, like the clatter of a bell ringing for a wedding. And the swinging gave him atrocious spasms….

His breath failed him and he could say no more. He shut his eyes, opened his mouth, stretched his legs, gave a long shudder, and hung stiff and insensible.

Children's stories are hosed, yo.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
A magic system based on the 72 demons of the Lesser Key of Solomon, you say?

I eagerly look forward to seeing what kind of magic we get from the Caim crest. :getin:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Pesky Splinter posted:

And of course Gepetto is Gepetto. Proably got a girl puppet after getting sick of Pinocchio's poo poo.

Or after Pinocchio was lynched.

Children's stories are hosed, yo.

Why would hanging kill a puppet? That's like the one method of execution they are explicitly immune to.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Video games with playable dog characters are usually pretty great, case in point: Okami.

That puppet is kind of freaking me out. Does she ever talk? Or is she just kind of there? I can't decide if it's creepier for her to talk or not talk.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Who What Now posted:

Why would hanging kill a puppet? That's like the one method of execution they are explicitly immune to.

Broken necks are not a joke, even for puppets. He gets ressed by the blue-haired fairy* shortly afterwards, I think a couple days later at the latest.

*I think her title translates to blue-haired fairy

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Omobono posted:

Broken necks are not a joke, even for puppets. He gets ressed by the blue-haired fairy* shortly afterwards, I think a couple days later at the latest.

*I think her title translates to blue-haired fairy

the fairy with the turquoise hair to be specific, and iirc Pinocchio being released was a later addition, originally it just ended there but the character proved popular.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Video games with playable dog characters are usually pretty great, case in point: Okami.

That puppet is kind of freaking me out. Does she ever talk? Or is she just kind of there? I can't decide if it's creepier for her to talk or not talk.

You just know he props it up when they camp for the night so it's staring at everyone. He thinks it's neat, everyone else wants to toss it in the campfire but won't actually say or do anything about it. All they can do is try not to think about that creepy thing staring at them while they try to sleep.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Blanka is gender-neutral esperanto for "white". Blanca is spanish. It is the feminine form of "white", with Blanco being the masculine.

Pesky Splinter posted:

They should've named him Lobo then. :v:

Also that story is dark, geez, the ending makes Drakengard weapon stories look like a happily ever after by comparison.

quote:

Touched by Lobo's bravery and loyalty to his mate, Seton could not kill him. He and his men roped Lobo, muzzled him and secured him to a horse, taking him back to the ranch. Lobo refused to eat or even look at his captors. They secured him with a chain and he just gazed across his fallen kingdom. Lobo died that night, 4 hours later, due to a broken heart.

:stonk:

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Pinnochio also straight up murdered the originally unnamed conscience cricket.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

GimmickMan posted:

They should've named him Lobo then. :v:

They probably didn't because one of Yuri's fusions from the first Shadow Hearts game was Lobo, and at that point it would've just gotten confusing. :v:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Alaan posted:

Pinnochio also straight up murdered the originally unnamed conscience cricket.

A reasonable reaction to a talking cricket wearing a top hat

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

quote:

The Talking Cricket insists that Pinocchio must either attend school or work, to function properly in the world. When Pinocchio refuses to listen, the Cricket states, "You are a puppet and what's worse is that you have a head of wood", whereupon Pinocchio throws a mallet at the cricket, killing him.

Haha, eat poo poo.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Even the Disney version of Pinocchio is dark, namely in that all the villains get away scot-free and continue committing their crimes, unlike in the book where some of them didn't.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Accordion Man posted:

Even the Disney version of Pinocchio is dark, namely in that all the villains get away scot-free and continue committing their crimes, unlike in the book where some of them didn't.

Also, all those kids who get turned into donkeys stay donkeys forever.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Also, all those kids who get turned into donkeys stay donkeys forever.
They also definitely won't be the last.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

yeah, I recall particular the fox and cat had by the end ended up starving, with the cat gone blind, and the fox losing his hair, tail and lame (the pair faked those disabilities to beg), while in the movie, the pair are suppose to have been arrested but that got dropped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Wait, what happened to Jeanne