Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Game Freak still operates at the level of a "Double A" company (as opposed to a "Triple A" studio). They probably have about 50 or so people handling development and other jobs needed to run a small company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/Doodlelot/status/1104698458118807552

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

And people were apprehensive about Sun and Moon's artstyle...

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/griegriegrie/status/1104676210963955712

Next week it's Precure (Glitter Force for the west)

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Zuzie posted:

Game Freak still operates at the level of a "Double A" company (as opposed to a "Triple A" studio). They probably have about 50 or so people handling development and other jobs needed to run a small company.

This is true and something I came to terms with recently.

They'll never grow and operate on a AAA scale, because that just risks a game getting delayed, and the IP is too big to not get a new generation every 3 years on the clock.
If it was just games, I'm sure we'd be getting an RPG with camera controls and stuff. But it's not just a game; if it got delayed by 4 months for whatever reasonable situation, that'd gently caress over the anime, the anime movies, the card game, the toys, the keychains, the towels and all that crap that's planned out a year in advance minimum.

If we assume Z did exist at one point, then Z was the scare that makes them want to play it safe. It wasn't gonna make November of its intended year, so instead they ignored it and let Zygarde and Ash-Greninja show up in everything else that was coming up rather htan delay those things to match up with a delayed Z release.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

The Pokémon Center in Sunshine City owns. It has a full-size Solgaleo and had a bunch of holiday exclusive plushies.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

They'll never grow and operate on a AAA scale, because that just risks a game getting delayed, and the IP is too big to not get a new generation every 3 years on the clock.

That and they want to avoid going over Dunbar's number (the number of stable relationships a person can maintain, which is about 150). Many times that a work lost its vision or underlying theme is when too many people have different ideas that all get included. Too many cooks spoil the broth after all.

As much as we joke about the nonsense Pokedex information on each Pokémon, there's at least some kind of coherency with Pokémon's main themes and world.

Zuzie fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Mar 11, 2019

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

To be clear, the largest Pokemon Center in Japan literally has only about 130 of the original 150 plus fewer than 20 post-RBY mons for plushes. You can get a Grimer but not a Togepi, Celebi or Mudkip. Many fan favorites are nowhere to be seen. It's hardly a matter of space; multiple plushes appear across different shelves.

My favorite thing, which I bought, was this cookie box whose cover looks vaguely like the start screen of Pokemon Yellow.

All in all you'd be better off shopping online from Etsy and other places.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The lack of non-Smash/non-Detective Pikachu amiibos absolutely fascinates and baffles me. I know The Pokemon Company probably thinks it would interfere with their own toy sales, but...c'mon! Sun and Moon should have at least had amiibo for the starters!

And if they don't want to make Pokemon amiibo for Pokemon, then make them for the human characters. They don't get as much merch, and you can't tell me that if they made amiibo for the playable characters that they wouldn't sell.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I'd be surprised if Pokémon Sword and Shield didn't have amiibo compatibility since it'll be the first time that they'll be developing a mainline title on a system that started off with amiibo support (the 3DS only had it with later models or a separate accessory) .

Although I bet it'll only be compatible with the Smash Bros amiibo and not a line dedicated to Sword and Shield. My guess would be you scan the amiibo and you get the Pokémon represented with moves similar to their Smash Bros counterpart, like scanning an Incineroar amiibo will get you an Incineroar with Cross Chop, Revenge, Darkest Lariat and Vital Throw (the closest thing to Alolan Whip).

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
At some point I need to get a set of three starter plushies (must be same gen, not necessarily newest gen) and put them in front of my Nephew so he can make his Most Important Choice. (He'll be turning 3 this summer, not sure when I should plan to go ahead with it :P)

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Just draw them in chalk on the driveway that's what me and my 5 year old cousin did last summer he got a huge kick out of my terrible Pikachu drawing

Aristide
Sep 2, 2011

Mysterious Cat Country

Let's Go came out last November so of course you're gonna find merch featuring the first 150 in stock when Pokemon Yellow HD came out fairly recently. No mudkips is a little odd because its one of the more popular starters and starters in general are safe bets if you're looking for a variety of products but something like Togepi hasn't been series relavent for three generations spanning seven waves of mainline games. I mean what do you expect?

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Vegetable posted:

I went to the largest Pokémon Center in Tokyo last week and it was pretty pathetic. They don’t even have plushes of every mon. No cool events or in-game gifts either — brought my Switch for nothing. I brought a dollop of yen to spend and genuinely struggled to find interesting things to buy.

Constantly fascinated by how bad Gamefreak is at making money. Also a Pokémon theme park would make absolute bank.

lmfao

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
[busting thru the door of the game freak office] listen here you stupid pieces of poo poo, what the gently caress are you even doing. your big store doesn't have 807 different varieties of toy or a special prize for going inside the big store. i brought my game boy and told the cashier to put a mew on it and it was like i was speaking a different language. and then come to find out you dont have a goddamn pikachu roller coaster? you're all a bunch of clowns [swatting everything off the receptionist's desk] get out of here, let me do this.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Heads up guys. I just received a Marshadow and another shiny Mew in the wonder trade if anybody wants these guys or anything else on the shiny list just give me a ring.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Flopsy posted:

Heads up guys. I just received a Marshadow and another shiny Mew in the wonder trade if anybody wants these guys or anything else on the shiny list just give me a ring.
Aaah, I want the Marshadow something fierce but I'm on Japan time so arranging a trade would probably be a nightmare.

Vandar posted:

The lack of non-Smash/non-Detective Pikachu amiibos absolutely fascinates and baffles me. I know The Pokemon Company probably thinks it would interfere with their own toy sales, but...c'mon! Sun and Moon should have at least had amiibo for the starters!

And if they don't want to make Pokemon amiibo for Pokemon, then make them for the human characters. They don't get as much merch, and you can't tell me that if they made amiibo for the playable characters that they wouldn't sell.
You're goddamn right they'd sell. I'd buy all four of the SM/USUM trainers, both Black and White trainers, and untold loving number of gym leaders. I'd buy the female SwSh trainer right now and we've seen her in all of twelve seconds of footage.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Aaah, I want the Marshadow something fierce but I'm on Japan time so arranging a trade would probably be a nightmare.

You're goddamn right they'd sell. I'd buy all four of the SM/USUM trainers, both Black and White trainers, and untold loving number of gym leaders. I'd buy the female SwSh trainer right now and we've seen her in all of twelve seconds of footage.

Are you on vacation or is it something more permanent? I can trade right now if you want.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Flopsy posted:

Are you on vacation or is it something more permanent? I can trade right now if you want.
Long term employment, although approaching the end of my term here. Either way, it's another half a year out and I'm at work. T_T I appreciate the offer though!

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Long term employment, although approaching the end of my term here. Either way, it's another half a year out and I'm at work. T_T I appreciate the offer though!

I'll hold on to it for you until you're able to trade okay?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Flopsy posted:

I'll hold on to it for you until you're able to trade okay?
You're too kind! What time zone are you in? That way I can math out when might be good for us (probably on a weekend.)

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Eastern standard time. Just give me heads up on here when you're available.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Vandar posted:

Funny that they have did e-Reader cards and the Pokemon Rumble U NFC Figure (that even had shiny ver) for the Wii U. But amiibo, nope leave that to the companies to do that for us if they want. They could even just do amiibo cards like Animal Crossing and even have it cross with trading cards like they did the e-Reader ones.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Maybe it's also because the "toys to life" craze is dying down and I think amiibo are the only ones that haven't become discontinued yet.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Flopsy posted:

Eastern standard time. Just give me heads up on here when you're available.

Surely it's Eastern Daylight Time as of today? :science:
I'm assuming you're in the US.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Nth Doctor posted:

Surely it's Eastern Daylight Time as of today? :science:
I'm assuming you're in the US.

Yesh indeed.

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

Howdy pokemon thread I have a random question for y'all. There was a website linked I think on SA where somebody went and ranked every Pokémon line but went into so much detail about the background of each line that it was really interesting. The person writing it was really into the bugs if I remember correctly.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

PASS THE MASH posted:

Howdy pokemon thread I have a random question for y'all. There was a website linked I think on SA where somebody went and ranked every Pokémon line but went into so much detail about the background of each line that it was really interesting. The person writing it was really into the bugs if I remember correctly.

That would be Bogleech.

http://www.bogleech.com/pokemon/parchive.html

His stuff is really good. He even reviewed the Pokemon from the Gold/Silver beta that leaked out recently!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Be sure to read his review on Team Skull too.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Vandar posted:

That would be Bogleech.

His stuff is really good. He even reviewed the Pokemon from the Gold/Silver beta that leaked out recently!

Yeah Bogleech writes some pretty awesome science and horror articles as well if I recall.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Iirc Pokémon Centers rotate their stock pretty regularly and have various themes and stuff, you can't expect to see everything in one visit.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Iirc Pokémon Centers rotate their stock pretty regularly and have various themes and stuff, you can't expect to see everything in one visit.

they introduce a new, limited edition product line every other saturday

if it does really well they keep it

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

absolutely anything posted:

[busting thru the door of the game freak office] listen here you stupid pieces of poo poo, what the gently caress are you even doing. your big store doesn't have 807 different varieties of toy or a special prize for going inside the big store. i brought my game boy and told the cashier to put a mew on it and it was like i was speaking a different language. and then come to find out you dont have a goddamn pikachu roller coaster? you're all a bunch of clowns [swatting everything off the receptionist's desk] get out of here, let me do this.

It's friggin weird how entitled that guy is lol

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Vandar posted:

That would be Bogleech.

I agree with most of the ratings I've read so far but he gives Gothitelle 5 stars which seriously brings his judgement in question :colbert:

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
yeah it should be 6 stars

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Vegetable posted:

I went to the largest Pokémon Center in Tokyo last week and it was pretty pathetic. They don’t even have plushes of every mon. No cool events or in-game gifts either — brought my Switch for nothing. I brought a dollop of yen to spend and genuinely struggled to find interesting things to buy.

Constantly fascinated by how bad Gamefreak is at making money. Also a Pokémon theme park would make absolute bank.

Think of all the money they'd be making if only they stocked plushies for *checks notes* jumpluff, linoone, and lumineon.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Dienes posted:

Think of all the money they'd be making if only they stocked plushies for *checks notes* jumpluff, linoone, and lumineon.

Those would be friggin great Pokemon to have tho

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

There are rumors a Pokemon theme park is in development but honestly I'm not sure it would work well. They translated ok into live action via CGI in a movie but I'm not sure they can transfer into the real world in a satisfying way

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
??? It would be a normal rear end theme park with people in mascot costumes and rides with pokemon designs slapped on them just like all the Disney parks.

The hell would it not work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Maybe if you engineered the Pokemon with a lycene deficiency, that way they couldn't escape into the wild