Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

uber_stoat posted:

climate pessimism isn't Malthusian. it isn't about overpopulation. it's more along the lines of: the ecological conditions which permit industrial agriculture are going to disappear as the climate changes and the biosphere undergoes mass extinction and then we all starve to death. or die in wars brought about by the whole starving thing.

most of us here in C-SPAM are privileged people in a first-world country. we're gonna be fine

climate change might kill a couple billion people, but lol if you think any of them are gonna be in North America or Western Europe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

MonsieurChoc posted:

Malthusianism should be a bannable offense.

Does this also cover anarcho-primitivism?

And for that matter :airquote:redemptive/penitent:airquote: human exterminationism.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

go check out AGH's posting in the climate thread if you wanna see some real brokebrained nihilism

i had to stop reading that thread because it worse than like, business news on reddit

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

dont be mean to me posted:

Does this also cover anarcho-primitivism?

And for that matter :airquote:redemptive/penitent:airquote: human exterminationism.

full blown anti civ kaczynskite would be a cool gimmick but none of the people here who post about that stuff are clever enough to do it

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

whoa, the C-SPAM climate-change thread just got dragged to what I assume is a mod-forum and I can't even unbookmark it

E: unbookmarked it through the phone app

dont be mean to me has issued a correction as of 14:12 on Mar 11, 2019

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
That thread was super bad and I’m glad it’s gone.

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Theres already two new ones lol

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

whoa, the C-SPAM climate-change thread just got dragged to what I assume is a mod-forum and I can't even unbookmark it

Can you hit the "do not enter" sign on your "bookmarks" page?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

univbee posted:

Can you hit the "do not enter" sign on your "bookmarks" page?

I didn't even notice that. Oh well.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
anprims are dumb as balls and even worse than my posting

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i think anprim doesn't make any drat sense. also it's highly malthusian if you follow it through. If all industry is unsustainable and bad then uhh we aren't gonna be able to make enough food for everyone

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

E: unbookmarked it through the phone app

Yeah turns out advocating for ecoterrorism gets the mods on you pretty quickly.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

guess those people just need to die then, along with diabetics/folks with bad hearts/mothers and children at risk of extremely dangerous childbirth/etc

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

net work error posted:

Yeah turns out advocating for ecoterrorism gets the mods on you pretty quickly.

amab

Dick Valentine
Nov 4, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

most of us here in C-SPAM are privileged people in a first-world country. we're gonna be fine

climate change might kill a couple billion people, but lol if you think any of them are gonna be in North America or Western Europe

this is incredibly myopic and is honestly a bit breathtaking in its ignorance. at this point I'm finding climate-change denial less depressing than those who do acknowledge
its existence but have a completely delusional understanding of the consequences.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

uber_stoat posted:

climate pessimism isn't Malthusian. it isn't about overpopulation. it's more along the lines of: the ecological conditions which permit industrial agriculture are going to disappear as the climate changes and the biosphere undergoes mass extinction and then we all starve to death. or die in wars brought about by the whole starving thing.

Maybe, but blaming overpopulation is.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Main Paineframe posted:

This is denialism. People are already dying, in Puerto Rico, in CA wildfires, in the streets because they’re homeless, at the border because of racist attitudes like this, and it’s only going to get worse.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Dick Valentine posted:

this is incredibly myopic and is honestly a bit breathtaking in its ignorance. at this point I'm finding climate-change denial less depressing than those who do acknowledge
its existence but have a completely delusional understanding of the consequences.

where the gently caress is this "climate change shall scour all life from the face of the earth" poo poo even coming from

yeah, climate change is going to submerge a bunch of urban centers, and render a lot of farmland unusable for one reason or another. but it's not going to turn the soil to acid and the air into chlorine, nor is it going to kick off global nuclear war

what's going to happen is that the rich imperial countries that hoard all the resources will force 100% of the consequences on poor countries with no safety nets, and then find some way to profit from the chaos. meanwhile, you'll sit there typing nihilistic poetry into your phone as you sit in your cardboard box in a back alley in the port city of Las Vegas

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

where the gently caress is this "climate change shall scour all life from the face of the earth" poo poo even coming from

yeah, climate change is going to submerge a bunch of urban centers, and render a lot of farmland unusable for one reason or another. but it's not going to turn the soil to acid and the air into chlorine, nor is it going to kick off global nuclear war

what's going to happen is that the rich imperial countries that hoard all the resources will force 100% of the consequences on poor countries with no safety nets, and then find some way to profit from the chaos. meanwhile, you'll sit there typing nihilistic poetry into your phone as you sit in your cardboard box in a back alley in the port city of Las Vegas

The 100th meridian continues to shift east and modern farming has hosed up soil that there's an estimate for maybe 60 years left before it's useless.

Not to mention plankton populations decreasing messing up a bunch of other animal populations including some we eat.

Anyways to stay on topic, it will be interesting to see how soon climate protests move into the actual vandalism of the management systems that run oil infrastructure since corporate software can be pretty lol.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Main Paineframe posted:

no, the soil won't turn to acid, but the oceans will

https://www.hakaimagazine.com/news/the-shells-of-wild-sea-butterflies-are-already-dissolving/

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
if this is also turning into a global warming thread, a lot of the country's bees were wintering in florida during hurricane michael. lol

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

We can't stop killing each other when we have a bunch of access to resources, water to drink, and land to live on, just wait and see what happens when we lose all that.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Captain Billy Pissboy posted:

Theres already two new ones lol

lmao they've got a strong start

twoday posted:

I didn't read the old thread but I heard about the infamous climate change thread from the mental health thread, where it seems to have generated or worsened clinical depression in about half a dozen people

Streak posted:

Lol at my friends and coworkers who have convinced themselves that having kids is a good idea

hahaha

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Picnic Princess posted:

We can't stop killing each other when we have a bunch of access to resources, water to drink, and land to live on, just wait and see what happens when we lose all that.

Humanity will shine through the darkness and by putting aside our differences and working together we can come out on top?

*Glances at dimensional tracker*

Oh, well. Lol!

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

we won't rise above anything until the rich are guillotined because global businesses are responsible for the vast majority of climate issues we're facing :stoked: :thermidor: :stoked:

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Summer Classic

New Summer

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
celsius? wow, this really is a lovely cyberpunk dystopia

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Yeah but what's the median temp? Big climate skewing the data AGAIN.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
In the future we'll be watching anime thinking, "Why aren't there cicadas chirping all the time?"

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lmao

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1105236968693264390

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

sink facebook into the heart of the earth instead

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

thank you mr fuckerberg for protecting me from this kind of dangerous post and not the 10,000 antivax ads

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

if you believe them it sounds like an automated anti phishing scan removed the ads

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
everything is atuomated we dont do anythin

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

hobbesmaster posted:

if you believe them it sounds like an automated anti phishing scan removed the ads

:rolleye:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/toyota-patent-application-fragrance-atomizer-tear-gas/

Not sure how cyberpunk it is but I think this fits in here.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Main Paineframe posted:

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

This sounds like it'll make car accidents more insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Main Paineframe posted:

source your quotes