Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Oh hey Kitty Cooper did a very nice accessible introductory post to using the new Gedmatch Genesis site. If you've done a DNA test and want to take your research further but are totally flummoxed by how to use this site, this will help a LOT.

And if centimorgans and degrees of cousins and the like are Swahili to you, this post is amazing at breaking it down into digestible chunks.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Got another email from a distant relative :3:

He sent me a bunch of documents he'd scanned, I'm chuffed as heck

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Man all my distant relatives do is take. On the hypocritical side I did digitize and scan into pdf a distant relatives book written back in the 90s for my own use. Anyone know if there are any scan to print apps that do OGRs or anything like that? I’d like to make the text searchable. Think I’m going to attempt to rebuild the tree on Ancestry or something and see what if any hits I get.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

you mean OCR? theres a bunch, Tesseract is the best free one afaik (its command-line/library, but there are several frontends).

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Krankenstyle posted:

you mean OCR? theres a bunch, Tesseract is the best free one afaik (its command-line/library, but there are several frontends).

Yes thank you.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

np :)

I'm actually deeply into OCR at the moment, I'm working with a local archive on software to help correct faulty OCR (Danish gets a lot of that because of our special characters æøå). Initial tests are promising!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

A US pastor finds royal ties to Benin via DNA ancestry

Krankenstyle posted:

np :)

I'm actually deeply into OCR at the moment, I'm working with a local archive on software to help correct faulty OCR (Danish gets a lot of that because of our special characters æøå). Initial tests are promising!

Would you say you are OCD on OCR? :)

I use Adobe Acrobat for that, but I have access to the full version.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Hah, OCD isnt among my diagnoses but im definitely wont to doggedly keep needling at minor details. A good thing for this job at least!

Acrobat is good, they're all good really. The problem is we want them as close to perfect as possible. You can't search for someone named Øjvind if the OCR says "O'jvind", or lærer (teacher) if the OCR says "lcrrer" etc

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

A new, unknown 1st - 2nd cousin popped up on my Ancestry DNA matches. I messaged him because I was curious, and it turns out he's the son my great-aunt had as a teenager in the 1930s and gave up for adoption. I had heard this story before from my mom, who heard it from my grandfather, who was very young at the time it happened and kind of senile when he told her, so we weren't sure it was really true. Thankfully he already knew he had been adopted (it would have been very awkward otherwise) and was actively searching for info on his birth parents. I've been messaging with him and his daughter over the past couple of days and they seem really, really excited. It's kind of infectious, I'm really happy for them too and I just wanted to share with someone. Now to dig through old family photos for pictures of my great aunt. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

That's super cool! :)

I actually got an email from another distant cousin (4th, once removed, if my math is right) last week & we've been exchanging photos as well. I had also photographed some documents regarding his grandparents' divorce in 1925 that I sent, with a warning to "read at your own peril", because there were letters from both parties accusing each other of the most terrible things. He knew some of it though, from family stories, so he wasn't too afraid to read them and was glad to receive them...

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Always cool to find new close relatives. I think I found a family secret finally but the person hasn't responded since I told them how they could be connected to me... then there's my mom's side. Her mom died young so I never knew that side of the family but on that tree two brothers married two sisters and two of her great-aunts are identical twins so a bunch of surprisingly close relatives popped up all at once (I guess it was a Christmas present for everyone on that side hah) and they were all like 'who the heck are you?'

Anyone playing with the new beta tools yet? I just started using the chrome plug in that lets you color code your matches by MRCA and they go and recreate it in ancestry proper and now I have to retag five pages of matches, urgh. I kind of like the individual tags you can put on folks though it'd be handier if you could just see them on the tree instead of having to click on folks.

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

Oracle posted:

Always cool to find new close relatives. I think I found a family secret finally but the person hasn't responded since I told them how they could be connected to me... then there's my mom's side. Her mom died young so I never knew that side of the family but on that tree two brothers married two sisters and two of her great-aunts are identical twins so a bunch of surprisingly close relatives popped up all at once (I guess it was a Christmas present for everyone on that side hah) and they were all like 'who the heck are you?'

Anyone playing with the new beta tools yet? I just started using the chrome plug in that lets you color code your matches by MRCA and they go and recreate it in ancestry proper and now I have to retag five pages of matches, urgh. I kind of like the individual tags you can put on folks though it'd be handier if you could just see them on the tree instead of having to click on folks.

What chrome plug in?

I recently was contacted by a 1st cousin no one knew about. Except her dad, my uncle, who knew about them but hasn't had contact with them. So that's been a bit awkward lol.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

nashona posted:

What chrome plug in?

I recently was contacted by a 1st cousin no one knew about. Except her dad, my uncle, who knew about them but hasn't had contact with them. So that's been a bit awkward lol.

DNA Match Labeling. Ancestry basically stole the idea and just implemented it in beta heh.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Man if you haven't yet, go play with ThruLines on Ancestry if you have a subscription. Found out a guy in Russia who's a distant cousin updated his tree with a birth certificate for my 3rd great grandmother, which I would love to know how he got his hands on it, I suspect he has some relative's ahnentafel book or whatever its called because I have documents stating she died before 1873 but the registered copy was from 1933. All the records were destroyed in WWII so far as anyone can tell. Got my 4th great-grandparents names off it which... they shared the same last name god dammit. This line was one that DIDN'T have endogamy on it! My tree, she collapses. At least I know I injected some drat fresh genetics by marrying an Asian man.

MyHeritage has something similar called Theory of Relativity where it'll show you potential relationships with your DNA matches, if you both have your trees fleshed out it draws it and shows you exactly how you're related, if now it'll give you estimates based on amount of shared DNA (so basically it looks up the probabilities and lists them like you had to do by hand on the chart before). I'm rather liking both tools, its really automating a lot of what used to be gruntwork. Granted there's still a lot of errors from overenthusiastic tree farmers (you know the type) but those are fairly easily looked into and dismissed if you've got a well-researched tree.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 2, 2019

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

"ahnentafel" ~ ancestor tablet

Some suggestions re the certificate: What is the issuing authority in 1933? Does it have earlier dates, stamps? Place names may be translated from polity to polity, anything like that? Wait poo poo, oh man

Look on the bright side, I guess. You get to clear up a huge swath of your family tree and work on it a-new :neckbeard:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I discovered my long lost granddad, who even my father never knew, got remarried and had a whole other family before dying in the 1990's. His family lives about a hour north of us and I've been tempted to contact them but they're kind of weird. Posting on Facebook that they're "7 years clean off the pipe" weird.

I don't even like my regular family. I'm not sure I'd care for my meth family.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Krankenstyle posted:

"ahnentafel" ~ ancestor tablet

Some suggestions re the certificate: What is the issuing authority in 1933? Does it have earlier dates, stamps? Place names may be translated from polity to polity, anything like that? Wait poo poo, oh man

Look on the bright side, I guess. You get to clear up a huge swath of your family tree and work on it a-new :neckbeard:

It’s a beautiful clean certified copy issued by the superintendent that’s been printed with the blanks filled in in Sutterlin. All place names are still in German (it’s Polish now, from what used to be Pomerania).
And no this whole branch of the family tree is nonexistent, just finding out gggp’s mom was the daughter of possible cousins makes what few matches I could conclusively pin to that branch look like they’re probably even further back. Nobody knows who his dad was (he was illegitimate) so using DNA to solve that is going to be nigh impossible.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ok that doesnt sound too bad, and youre probably on solid ground with a dna match. what does the guy sound like?

the reason im asking about this is because i almost got fooled by a bot. it had scraped a bunch of genealogy online and was trying to make new contacts by peppering its answers with random facts (grandma had red hair; etc).

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
I'm having fun with the new MyHeritage cluster tool. My great grandmother did not have a father listed on her birth certificate. I have some leads now for DNA matches but none of my clustered matches have good trees. One is private though so here's hoping they'll give me access.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The new ancestry thing is pretty cool and helped confirm a couple educated guesses. Closest relatives I have though are 3rd cousins 1x removed though. My father was an only child as was his father

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Krankenstyle posted:

ok that doesnt sound too bad, and youre probably on solid ground with a dna match. what does the guy sound like?

the reason im asking about this is because i almost got fooled by a bot. it had scraped a bunch of genealogy online and was trying to make new contacts by peppering its answers with random facts (grandma had red hair; etc).

Oh no he’s legit. Took him three years to finally answer multiple pms on Ancestry and he has photos that aren’t anywhere else on the net, and I asked my great-aunt about the name and once I got far enough back on his tree she pulled out pics from the 70s/early 80s of him as a kid with his family in East Germany that had been sent to us over the years (one of her sisters used to go back to Germany like every other year to visit family, she’d married a German man). It helps when you know literally all your third cousins heh. Never realized having that close knit a family was that unusual until I really started getting into this hobby.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I'm trying to wrap my head around something and I need a second opinion from you fine people.

I tested my brother's DNA at FTDNA and he came up with the R-M269 haplogroup and his haplogroup matches are other men with our same last name. I tested him with the Y67 test.

My first cousin's son Jacob popped up as a match on 23andMe and his haplogroup shows R-Y4010. Just to make it clear, Jacob's grandfather and my dad are brothers. We all share last names.

Shouldn't they be the same halpogroup or is there some mystery "paternal event"? I was reading on some forums that FTDNA and 23andMe use different testing methods for predicting halpogroups and since they're both Rs, that's the important part? I just don't see that Y4010 is a subclade (?) of other M269s but M269 is fairly generic.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'm not an expert on this stuff, but R-M269 is a really generic haplogroup that covers over 110 million people and is the most common ydna for european males. . Looking at the yfull ytree, R-Y4010 is 11 branches down from R-M269, so it's a much more specific haplogroup.

https://www.yfull.com/tree/R-Y4010/

I'm R-M269 as well, but also drill down to a much smaller subclade under R-Y3553

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

skipdogg posted:

I'm not an expert on this stuff, but R-M269 is a really generic haplogroup that covers over 110 million people and is the most common ydna for european males. . Looking at the yfull ytree, R-Y4010 is 11 branches down from R-M269, so it's a much more specific haplogroup.

https://www.yfull.com/tree/R-Y4010/

I'm R-M269 as well, but also drill down to a much smaller subclade under R-Y3553

Check this out for more help understanding (and that site is pretty much the go-to for all your genetic genealogy questions). Scroll down past the mtDNA stuff to the Y stuff its about halfway down the page. Money quote:

quote:

How do you find out more about your haplogroup, or if you really do match that other person who is C3? Test at Family Tree DNA. 23andMe is not in the business of testing individual markers. Their business focus is autosomal DNA and it’s various applications, medical and genealogical, and that’s it.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 8, 2019

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

Thanks for the input from both of you, makes sense. Although the 23andMe result was the more specific subclade result for my cousin versus the M269 generic one that FTDNA gave me for my brother.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Got my hands on a 1935 will from South Africa. Anyone got an estimate on what £ (1538.14.11 + 69.5.0) - 159.19.3 would come out to in a modern currency? Rich, middle class??

e: answered in PYF historical fact thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3749916&pagenumber=189#post493286770

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Mar 12, 2019

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Looks like FTDNA was getting a lot of pushback for the ham-handed way they announced their police coorpation thing. Here's the latest letter:

quote:

Dear Valued Customer,

We are emailing you to notify you of changes that we have made to our Terms of Service, Privacy Statement, and other guidelines and processes which govern how law enforcement may use our site. We now require all law enforcement authorities to register accounts under a special process, designed specifically for law enforcement and third parties working with law enforcement, which allows them to participate in our DNA matching program.

Our new policy changes to allow registration of law enforcement accounts will take effect today, March 12th.

If you do not wish to be matched with these designated law enforcement registered users, you have the ability to opt out by adjusting your Matching Preferences, which now includes an option to opt-out of Law Enforcement Matching. User accounts created prior to March 12th, 2019 that are flagged as an EU account have been opted out of Law Enforcement Matching but may choose to opt in.

Below you will find further details on the changes we are implementing.

Law Enforcement Registry

We have made changes to our Privacy Statement and Terms of Service to allow law enforcement authorities to upload DNA files to our DNA database and utilize our DNA matching service in certain limited circumstances and only if they comply with our specific procedures and processes. FamilyTreeDNA’s Terms of Service and Privacy Statement have been updated to require law enforcement, as well as any authorized representative working on behalf of law enforcement, to register all genetic files through a separate process prior to uploading to the database. Permission for law enforcement to upload genetic files will only be granted upon submission, review, and approval of all required documentation by a qualified staff member and under limiting circumstances as defined in our Law Enforcement Guide. The genetic file must be submitted by law enforcement and/or their legally authorized representative for the purpose of identifying the remains of a deceased individual or a perpetrator of a homicide or sexual assault.

The law enforcement registration process includes the required submittal of case-related information, i.e., case number, law enforcement agency, jurisdiction, principal investigator’s name, email, phone, city, state, and case circumstances. In the case of a legally authorized representative, there must be formal documentation of the law enforcement relationship and authorization by relevant law enforcement officials.

If approved for upload, FamilyTreeDNA will track these law enforcement accounts via an in-house identification system that will allow users to opt out of Law Enforcement Matching.

Law Enforcement Matching (LEM) Preferences

Law Enforcement Matching Opt-Out Option: Users now have the ability to opt out of matching with DNA relatives whose accounts are flagged as being created to identify the remains of a deceased individual or a perpetrator of a homicide or sexual assault, also referred to as Law Enforcement Matching (LEM).

User accounts created prior to March 12th, 2019 identified as residents of the European Union (EU): User accounts created prior to March 12th, 2019 that are identified as being accounts for individuals within the EU are currently opted out of Law Enforcement Matching. Accounts that have been opted out will have the ability to opt in by going to their Account Settings and adjusting their Matching Preferences.

How to adjust your Matching Preferences: Visit the Privacy & Sharing section within your Account Settings.

Law enforcement accounts will only show up in your matches list when both of the following requirements are met:
You are a genetic match to the uploaded genetic file
You and the law enforcement account have the same opt in to matching levels selected

Please note: If you opt out of Law Enforcement Matching, these accounts will not be able to see you as a match, but you will continue to see them as a match.
They also created a citizen's panel to advise them on other issues like this that may come up and included a link to their Law Enforcement Matching FAQ

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

quote:

1736 [no date given]
Erasmus Peterson's daughter in [village A] wedded to a man in [village B]

lmao wtf is this, get your poo poo together! Both villages are in your parish and you've been there for 7 years, you should know the names of your flock by now!
:negative:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

https://twitter.com/Gizmodo/status/1113461468031266817

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

On a recent archive visit I found an 1890s manuscript by a former priest from my home parish detailing its history over a ~500 year period. He wrote it after the vicarage burned and with it the parish registers and all its historical documents. Some 300 pages, so in a flash of dumbass optimism I've started transcribing and polishing it for publication :11tea:

About 20 21! pages in after a week's work...

e: 38 of 426 images transcribed, that is :sweatdrop:

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Apr 5, 2019

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Good lord you are a glutton for punishment, and I thank you for it haha.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

eyy somebody's gotta do it :shepface:

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

Krankenstyle posted:

On a recent archive visit I found an 1890s manuscript by a former priest from my home parish detailing its history over a ~500 year period. He wrote it after the vicarage burned and with it the parish registers and all its historical documents. Some 300 pages, so in a flash of dumbass optimism I've started transcribing and polishing it for publication :11tea:

About 20 21! pages in after a week's work...

e: 38 of 426 images transcribed, that is :sweatdrop:

I was about to say "hey, at least it's printed and have you considered ocr?" before I looked at the footnote and realized that he probably didn't write TODO anywhere :)

Ballistic Anomaly
Dec 29, 2008
It's great that you're doing this. Are you using / have you looked at Transkribus to help you do this?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

NFX posted:

I was about to say "hey, at least it's printed and have you considered ocr?" before I looked at the footnote and realized that he probably didn't write TODO anywhere :)

Haha oh wouldn't that be nice

The original looks like this:

One of these pages take up about a third of an A4 with the above margins. This is the lower third of the right-side page.

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Apr 5, 2019

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Ballistic Anomaly posted:

It's great that you're doing this. Are you using / have you looked at Transkribus to help you do this?

Interesting! I will definitely check this out, though I have severe doubts that their handwritten text recognition will recognize 19th century Danish gothic cursive.

Ballistic Anomaly
Dec 29, 2008
I haven't used the software myself (yet), but apparently once you've transcribed around 100 images properly, you can train an HTR engine to transcribe the rest.
Anyway, that handwriting looks a lot better and clearer than a lot of the documents I've tried looking at. I don't know Danish, but I can make out a lot of that page with just my basic understanding of Swedish.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Yeah he has a very neat handwriting compared to other texts I've seen (I've posted horrible examples elsewhere itt).

I think his gothic cursive is influenced by latin cursive as well, he sometimes switches letter forms, and alternates archaic / newer spellings too. IIrc latin cursive started getting taught in school in the 1870s after having been used for some time by the metropolitans and cultural elites and such. To be clear, this is a modern gothic cursive, with a latin influence (my layman's view anyway).

Looking up his birth year, he started writing this when he was 75, and finished it some 5 years later. That's actually super impressive, how clear the text is. I've seen many records that were clearly written by someone with Alzheimers, or rheumatism, or what have you.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Transkribus trip report: cool features, but an extremely Java interface with buttons everywhere. Once you get in the flow it works pretty well, though. You have to upload your files to get the segmentation/recognition features (they run on the server).

The available models aren't very good at recognizing the samples I tried (looking at the samples of what they're trained with, it makes sense, they're very different). It's faster to just transcribe than try to correct the nonsense output, but the segmentation is very helpful ito keeping the transcribed words associated with parts of the image (highlights etc).

The handwriting learning features aren't immediately available, you have to contact them to "activate the training button". You also need some 75 pages of training data & I have no idea how much I have since it's in a soup of LaTeX. I will probably try contacting them at some point tho...

On image 82 of 422 (discovered some duplicates), and the guy is on a tear with a 7 page long footnote :catstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Whew, part 1 of 3 done (190 of 422 images) which became 70 A4 pages of text... :sweatdrop: