Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

MarsDragon posted:

Too bad, Suikoden I actually owns.

It's also like five-ten hours so it's not actually that much of a commitment. It's an actually efficient JRPG on the PSX.

Especially since the xp system turns any xp grind in to an art form and lets you jump ahead a few (dozen) levels when done right. Meaning you can them skip a lot of random encounters.

The 3 cup gambling mini game uses fixed results so it's real easy to take a few minutes, make a million potch, and not worry about money for most/all of the game too. IIRC the fixed results are only at the start of the game and later on it might properly randomize the patterns it uses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

TheHoosier posted:

Yeah I'm stuck. Bums me out... I guess I could try reloading an even earlier save.

you could also try deleting the game and reinstalling

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
wait what is this "FF XII has no character development" thing

like the entire game is about Ashe going from revenge-obsessed crazy to actual leader

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Blockhouse posted:

like the entire game is about Ashe going from revenge-obsessed crazy to actual leader

It's because it's not made clear enough from the start that Ashe is the main character, I reckon.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Mar 11, 2019

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

MikeJF posted:

It's because it's not made clear enough from the start that Ashe is the main character, I reckon.

Which the box for the new release flat just showing her in a royal dress with Vaan in the background..as it should be.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

FF12 is like FFX but without Tidus's constant monologue starting "this is my story... because everything outside my head is your story" and repeating it every few minutes so nobody gets confused.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Blockhouse posted:

It's because in the narrative as written that change doesnt actually amount to much because her party doesn't actually flex any rrwal influence on the narrative until the absolute end. The actual main characters are Vayne and Larsa.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's because in the narrative as written that change doesnt actually amount to much because her party doesn't actually flex any rrwal influence on the narrative until the absolute end. The actual main characters are Vayne and Larsa.

Gee it's almost like Matsuno loves writing games in which the "Actual important conflict" isn't the important conflict at all and is just backdrop to the actual story which will never be written into the history books.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Lucky Cat posted:

Thanks! Now, I need to figure out the card achievements since I am pretty terrible/just don't care about the card games.

Don't bother, tetra master is trash.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Onmi posted:

Gee it's almost like Matsuno loves writing games in which the "Actual important conflict" isn't the important conflict at all and is just backdrop to the actual story which will never be written into the history books.

Yeah but usually he has the playable characters actually do something that has some merit or active importance that's just lost to history like stopping the church's satan infestation.

In 12 you're mostly runnning around getting peaks at the actual plot and going to magic crystal to get swords to get to new magic crystals all of which is rendered moot usually right after you get each magic crystal by run ins with the actual plot.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Trying to decide what to play next. FFIx which I’ve beaten once before when it came out and I don’t remember much of except the awesome music when Zidane is all mentally hosed up, FFX which I’ve played and never beaten(think I hosed myself on one of the Seymours,) or FFVII which I’ve never played. I’ve also never beaten 12 or played 13, but those aren’t in the mix right now. Anyone got an opinion??

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If you haven't played FF7 play FF7

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Play FF10, then play FF7 during the cutscenes.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I really wish instead of sending a super remake into production hell for FF7 they'd've just done an enhanced remastering where it's the same but they enhance and refilter all the graphics and clean up the mechanics and give it a consistent look and models that don't change every other shot and maybe tweak the translation so it makes a bit more sense.

Also same for all the other games.

Although I don't really trust them with the 'clean up the script and translation' part, come to think of it. And they hosed the 'enhanced graphics' to hell and back with the SNES games. Okay, I take it all back.

Onmi posted:

Although it was a bit too much in the background. One of the big flaws in FFXII, I thought, is that Damascus is meant to be doomed by being too small to avoid being crushed between Arcadia and Rozarria, but Rozarria is such a non-entity that feeling of doom isn't really there at all. The only exposure we get to Rozarria is one guy who seems pretty chill and up for doing what he can to help stop it, despite that cold war (threatening to verge on hot) being the biggest factor in the entire setting.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Mar 11, 2019

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

MikeJF posted:

maybe tweak the translation so it makes a bit more sense.
But don't change "this guy are sick" that line is perfect and important to the Brand

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the big names who worked on FF7 are now either senile or Nomura

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

MikeJF posted:

I really wish instead of sending a super remake into production hell for FF7 they'd've just done an enhanced remastering where it's the same but they enhance and refilter all the graphics and clean up the mechanics and give it a consistent look and models that don't change every other shot and maybe tweak the translation so it makes a bit more sense.

Also same for all the other games.

Although I don't really trust them with the 'clean up the script and translation' part, come to think of it. And they hosed the 'enhanced graphics' to hell and back with the SNES games. Okay, I take it all back.

Although it was a bit too much in the background. One of the big flaws in FFXII, I thought, is that Damascus is meant to be doomed by being too small to avoid being crushed between Arcadia and Rozarria, but Rozarria is such a non-entity that feeling of doom isn't really there at all. The only exposure we get to Rozarria is one guy who seems pretty chill and up for doing what he can to help stop it, despite that cold war (threatening to verge on hot) being the biggest factor in the entire setting.

Oh, it's definitely an issue, a lot to do with changing scope and focus of the story no doubt.

https://archive.rpgamer.com/news/Q4-2003/112003a.html posted:

Final Fantasy games have often been filled with character and world development, and Final Fantasy XII will continue this trend. For example, the sword Ashe uses is given to her in the opening movie by a currently unknown character, and the item Vaan holds in the November 13 picture promotion is known as a "star fruit". Furthermore, the Arcadia Empire and the Rozaria Imperium from the rear continent Ordalia have waged war in the Valentia continent for many years. Eventually, Arcadia goes on to attack Ashe's Dalmaska Kingdom, located between the Valentia and Ordalia continents. In response, Ashe creates a corps of mercenaries in order to pursue the enemy leader and defeat the conquerers. In times of doubt and exhaustation by the opposition, she pulls through by relying on her pride as the heir to the throne. One of the mercenaries is the cheery young male Vaan, who is optimistic despite having lost his parents when the two empires clashed. Vaan and Ashe's meeting emotionally begins Final Fantasy XII, and their relationship proves key in the global conflict.

It never really in-game feels like Arcadia taking over Dalmasca was specifically to get territory against Rozaria. Probably getting pushed further and further into the background as the story developed more. To the point where, as you said, they're kinda a non-entity, and the one existing Entity is anti-war.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah but usually he has the playable characters actually do something that has some merit or active importance that's just lost to history like stopping the church's satan infestation.

In 12 you're mostly runnning around getting peaks at the actual plot and going to magic crystal to get swords to get to new magic crystals all of which is rendered moot usually right after you get each magic crystal by run ins with the actual plot.

I mean killing Vayne, destroying the Nethicite, severring the Occuria's ability to impact the material world, essentially ending the Golden Age of Ivalice by creating the slow decline of magic as it slowly died, draining from the world due to their direct actions...

Oxxidation posted:

the big names who worked on FF7 are now either senile or Nomura

And notably, Nomura has always resented being essentially bombarded with "Remake FF7" and always stressed it wasn't his game (It was Kitase's) and that he shouldn't be in charge of a remake.

But Square, ever the arbiters of good decision, went, "What's... I dunno, Toriyama doing." "He's working on Mobius." "Okay, What's Nomura doing?"

"Give FF7RE to Nomura"

Not that I necessarily WANT a Toriyama FF7RE, just laughing at Squares management

Onmi fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Mar 11, 2019

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
I'm replaying FF6 and had a question about Espers: Is doing this swap in/out of certain Espers as characters are about to level up to gain more of a stat actually necessary for anything like supperbosses?

I don't remember doing any of this last time and I feel like I got by just fine, but I decided to read up on Espers this time around and... why??

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I feel like ff6 hosed up espers hard - unlike most FFs, I genuinely forget that espers even existed when I think back to the game

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lastdancer posted:

I'm replaying FF6 and had a question about Espers: Is doing this swap in/out of certain Espers as characters are about to level up to gain more of a stat actually necessary for anything like supperbosses?

I don't remember doing any of this last time and I feel like I got by just fine, but I decided to read up on Espers this time around and... why??

That's only for crazy min-maxers FF6 is an incredibly easy game

Whalley posted:

I feel like ff6 hosed up espers hard - unlike most FFs, I genuinely forget that espers even existed when I think back to the game

They're the only way anyone outside of Terra or Celes learn magic so uh

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

KidDynamite posted:

Trying to decide what to play next. FFIx which I’ve beaten once before when it came out and I don’t remember much of except the awesome music when Zidane is all mentally hosed up, FFX which I’ve played and never beaten(think I hosed myself on one of the Seymours,) or FFVII which I’ve never played. I’ve also never beaten 12 or played 13, but those aren’t in the mix right now. Anyone got an opinion??
I played ff7 for the first time a few years back and while yeah the graphics aren't the greatest, the story is actually really good. Also I really digged the character interactions, Like I'm not joking, aeris is a fuggin Savage and it's awesome. I was actually really surprised

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Like I think the best thing about playing ff7 in 2019 is finding out how 20 years of hearing about how cloud, aeris, and tifa act is all completely wrong, like somehow they all got memed into the exact opposite characters then they actually are

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Whalley posted:

Considering how incredibly central espers are to the plot and central character of FF6, I think it might be your memory that's at fault here.

mandatory lesbian posted:

Like I think the best thing about playing ff7 in 2019 is finding out how 20 years of hearing about how cloud, aeris, and tifa act is all completely wrong, like somehow they all got memed into the exact opposite characters then they actually are

Yeah that was a pretty common notion in the FF7 LP thread too, even from people who'd played it back in the day. It was also noted that peoples' minds having created personalities for the characters which weren't actually true at all was strangely fitting.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 11, 2019

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

The EU didn't help things since it pretty much made them what people remember them as.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Lastdancer posted:

The stats don't matter. Like, they're technically in the battle formula, but level is too and it's probably more important. I've hit the damage cap numerous times without looking at esper stat growth, and I've beaten the game sub level 20 without caring about stat growth, so you can get by fine without. There are no super bosses outside of the GBA version which I don't really know about because they're bad additions.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Onmi posted:

Oh, it's definitely an issue, a lot to do with changing scope and focus of the story no doubt.

It never really in-game feels like Arcadia taking over Dalmasca was specifically to get territory against Rozaria. Probably getting pushed further and further into the background as the story developed more. To the point where, as you said, they're kinda a non-entity, and the one existing Entity is anti-war.

I mean killing Vayne, destroying the Nethicite, severring the Occuria's ability to impact the material world, essentially ending the Golden Age of Ivalice by creating the slow decline of magic as it slowly died, draining from the world due to their direct actions...
t

Yeah it's why I said "Except.right at.the very end"

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The only really important one in vanilla FF6 is Odin since he's permanently loseable if you transform him into Raiden and the only Esper which boosts speed which is a pretty useful stat.
Apparently in later versions you can get a Cactuar summon that has a better speed boost though.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Sorry I meant ff8 not 7. I played the poo poo out of 7 as a kid.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

The only really important one in vanilla FF6 is Odin since he's permanently loseable if you transform him into Raiden and the only Esper which boosts speed which is a pretty useful stat.
Apparently in later versions you can get a Cactuar summon that has a better speed boost though.

I am playing original; good to know!

Sounds like I can just proceed as usual then with the Esper stuff for the most part. Also, now I want a Gambler job in FFXIV...

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Kanfy posted:

Considering how incredibly central espers are to the plot and central character of FF6, I think it might be your memory that's at fault here.

Me, flawed? Impossible!

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Do people ever use the XII espers? I summoned Exodus a couple times and they seem OK in this version

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Onmi posted:

On the history-book level it absolutely was. There was the actual motivation of getting their hands on the Nethecite but the tactical positioning was important too, and the whole reason Rozaria got into trying to back Ondore's rebellion. On a player level that only came up in relation to the Nethecite though. "This sucks, we're occupied because we're just stuck in the middle hey what's that shiny macguffin?" "If Rozaria tries to fight Dalmasca will be in ruins and their whole fleet's going to get nuked anyway we have to stop this!"

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

KidDynamite posted:

Sorry I meant ff8 not 7. I played the poo poo out of 7 as a kid.

Oh, well I don't like ff8 as much tbh, I stopped like 2 hours in cause it just didn't grab me

However I have a friend who loves it so much they play it like once a month, since it came out, so I guess there's that

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I love you Steve but please stop telling me how ff8 is the greatest romance ever told

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Help Im Alive posted:

Do people ever use the XII espers? I summoned Exodus a couple times and they seem OK in this version

Only as a novelty. Some of the later ones are quite good but by then your party is so powerful they aren't really useful

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Not really sure in the Zodiac version. They had their rare uses in the Vanilla version. Like I think Belias was pretty good against one of the very hard early hunts with a dragon since it was mostly fire attacks and Belias could ignore those. Or when I went into the Nabreus Deadlands super underleveled, and there is one of those fake save crystals that try to kill you- I think it used all elemental attacks that Zalera was immune to, so I just had the summoner hang back out of range and let Zalera slowly kill it.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

FFIV is great so far.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
How you beat Bahamut in FF8? Much I been avoiding levels (but not using no-encounters), I am level 25 with my team, not that should matter. I got a lot of good junction spells and almost all the GF available outside of Doomtrain who I need to get Alexander stupid Recovery Item Plus ability first.

I do fine until he megaflares, which does about 3000 damage which even with a full stock of curagas my max HP is about 3500 or so on each character except Rinoa who has Max HP 80%.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Rirse posted:

How you beat Bahamut in FF8? Much I been avoiding levels (but not using no-encounters), I am level 25 with my team, not that should matter. I got a lot of good junction spells and almost all the GF available outside of Doomtrain who I need to get Alexander stupid Recovery Item Plus ability first.

I do fine until he megaflares, which does about 3000 damage which even with a full stock of curagas my max HP is about 3500 or so on each character except Rinoa who has Max HP 80%.
Cast Doomtrain on him first (or use something to give him Blind, he's susceptible to it). After that, just use GFs to tank the megaflare damage, make sure you've got Aura on all your characters, constantly limit cycle, and he's relatively easy.

Dude's weak to Ice too, if you need to drop spells/prioritize a damaging GF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

I love you Steve but please stop telling me how ff8 is the greatest romance ever told

It is, though. Nothing even comes close to the love between Zell and the cafeteria hot dogs.