Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
Keepass for life! Has anyone found the ideal way to configure it for Google Drive syncing? I have the following issues:

* On PC, sometimes Google Drive Google Backup and Sync will lock the password database, so Keepass will fail to save, yet Drive will also not unlock the file (presumably each waiting on the other). I have to restart Drive to get it to save and continue syncing.
* Sometimes, the Keepass database will just vanish from my Google Drive. I imagine it has to do with the different save modes and some race conditions and it was never a big issue (I can get it back from trash as soon as I notice it) but annoys me.
* On Android, I could never figure out how to get it to automatically pick up my saved changes and upload them back to Drive - it seems to act as read-only copy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Never had those problems with Dropbox tbqh

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

EssOEss posted:

Keepass for life! Has anyone found the ideal way to configure it for Google Drive syncing? I have the following issues:

I've used the gdrive sync plug-in for years and have never had any of these problems :shrug:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Kuvo posted:

I've used the gdrive sync plug-in for years and have never had any of these problems :shrug:

same. open locally, sync remotely (or end up with a thousand files)

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
the russians used a post-it

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Soricidus posted:

the russians used a post-it

we have 4 digit headcount in former ussr countries and I can tell you with certainty that managing passwords in excel is all the rage now

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

akadajet posted:

nice goatse mirror

turn your monitor on, get down off your chair and put some clothes on

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ramriot/status/1104874190925107200

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

BIGFOOT EROTICA posted:

wait you have a Mac and you aren't using iCloud Keychain ????

1Password is better than iCloud Keychain

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Cocoa Crispies posted:

1Password is better than iCloud Keychain

it's not even a contest

not even before considering that sometimes icloud keychain will corrupt itself and need to be completely removed before it can ever work again.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i use keep rear end for cross compatibility with windows and loonix, with tresorit to sync because i just have to be special

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

I once encountered a T1 card with very similar behaviors. a ping packet padded with all 0's (or any other packet with a large 0's payload) would reset the connection due to some odd signal encoding fuckery. In-band metadata is the worst thing to happen to communications protocols.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

turn your monitor on, get down off your chair and put some clothes on

but its the only way i can post

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

ZeusCannon posted:

What if you have mac can you keepass then

MacPass but it seems kinda small-time and not very audited

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

cbc marketplace is a canadian consumer affairs show that does investigative reports into the various ways people get screwed by corporations

you'd think with a topic that broad that the well of content would never go dry, but yet

https://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/episodes/2017-2018/credit-card-scam

quote:

Marketplace has obtained a secret list revealing the names and identities of close to 3,000 Canadians targeted by a phone scam promising to lower your credit card interest rate. Their end game: stealing your identity so they can sell and trade it on the dark net and to other fraudsters. We track where your information can end up and test whether fraud alerts and credit monitoring services can really protect you.

the big surprise isn't that fraud alerts/credit monitoring don't really work, or that credit freezes aren't available in canada

it's that a tv show written and produced by grownups spent half an hour talking about cc phone fraud without mentioning once that reciting your cc number and various other credentials isn't a good idea when you're on the phone with someone who called you

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

MacPass but it seems kinda small-time and not very audited

it at least seems to update fairly often so someone's paying attention to it, but yeah use at your own risk :shrug:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

flakeloaf posted:

cbc marketplace is a canadian consumer affairs show that does investigative reports into the various ways people get screwed by corporations

you'd think with a topic that broad that the well of content would never go dry, but yet

https://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/episodes/2017-2018/credit-card-scam

the big surprise isn't that fraud alerts/credit monitoring don't really work, or that credit freezes aren't available in canada

it's that a tv show written and produced by grownups spent half an hour talking about cc phone fraud without mentioning once that reciting your cc number and various other credentials isn't a good idea when you're on the phone with someone who called you

If security could safely assume that end users would never do a dumb thing, the job would be very different. This isn't even getting into compromises of lovely websites that store the full card info etc. Focusing on the mitigation being ineffective or unavailable is a reasonable take.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

while i completely agree that "the users aren't going to gently caress this up" should be considered zero times in the formulation of a breach mitigation strategy, saying "so try not to stuff marbles up your nose" is probably worth half a minute of airtime in a show about people with marbles stuffed up their noses

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Volmarias posted:

If security could safely assume that end users would never do a dumb thing, the job would be very different. This isn't even getting into compromises of lovely websites that store the full card info etc. Focusing on the mitigation being ineffective or unavailable is a reasonable take.

IMO there's two schools of thought about the educational processes here. One is the social enigineering side, where you point out that it's almost always easier to fool you into giving up your data rather than fooling the computer

the other is demonstrating that the systems involved are garbage so even if you do things right as a user poo poo is still real vulnerable

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ewiley posted:

I once encountered a T1 card with very similar behaviors. a ping packet padded with all 0's (or any other packet with a large 0's payload) would reset the connection due to some odd signal encoding fuckery. In-band metadata is the worst thing to happen to communications protocols.

remember when certain models of modem would obey the hayes hangup command if it was delivered through the phone line port? good times

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Boiled Water posted:

it's not even a contest

not even before considering that sometimes icloud keychain will corrupt itself and need to be completely removed before it can ever work again.

this has never happened tome have you considered that youre using it wrong?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

BIGFOOT EROTICA posted:

this has never happened tome have you considered that youre using it wrong?

computers are complex and fucky, see the poo poo about modems and Visio files above, don’t diminish peoples’ problems

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

haveblue posted:

remember when certain models of modem would obey the hayes hangup command if it was delivered through the phone line port? good times

What about those routers that would disconnect everything if you sent:

code:
DCC SEND "string" 0 0 0
in plaintext to a user?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

+++ATH0
startkeylogger

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
I just put my passwords in s text file and check it into github. there’s loads of projects on there, what are the odds anyone malicious will ever find mine

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Soricidus posted:

I just put my passwords in s text file and check it into github. there’s loads of projects on there, what are the odds anyone malicious will ever find mine

100% sorry

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

same but pastebin, there are loads of password dumps there already, what are the odds anyone malicious will ever find mine

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Volmarias posted:

100% sorry

fortunately i use defence in depth: all my passwords are camouflaged as perl scripts

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Soricidus posted:

fortunately i use defence in depth: all my passwords are camouflaged as perl scripts

ah, the email regex strikes back

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Cocoa Crispies posted:

computers are complex and fucky, see the poo poo about modems and Visio files above, don’t diminish peoples’ problems

no sorry if youre using a mac it Just Works

seems like someone is doing something incredibly stupid

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

BIGFOOT EROTICA posted:

no sorry if youre using a mac it Just Works
wrong

quote:

the incredibly stupid thing is using a computer for anything

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

BIGFOOT EROTICA posted:

well yeah https://forums.somethingawful.com/query.php?action=posthistory&userid=75496

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

ewiley posted:

This was actually incredibly common.

Back in the old electronic T1 days, where a CSU/DSU actually did work (before fully computerized on chips) it was common practice to diagnose T1 circuits by sending patterns of "all 1s" (heats up the equipment), "all 0s" (the opposite - runs it cold) - both of these would pull out different faults in the csu/dsu or F2 pair or whatever. Typically you'd run all 1s / all 0s for a few minutes each then you'd send psuedorandom bits down the line to emulate "actual use" and let that run for the longest time.

finicky rear end tech

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Sniep posted:

This was actually incredibly common.

Back in the old electronic T1 days, where a CSU/DSU actually did work (before fully computerized on chips) it was common practice to diagnose T1 circuits by sending patterns of "all 1s" (heats up the equipment), "all 0s" (the opposite - runs it cold) - both of these would pull out different faults in the csu/dsu or F2 pair or whatever. Typically you'd run all 1s / all 0s for a few minutes each then you'd send psuedorandom bits down the line to emulate "actual use" and let that run for the longest time.

finicky rear end tech

I remember my dad telling me about some encoding used in networking to take long runs of same bits from "very common because sometimes you just gotta encode a bunch of zeroes" to "you probably won't ever encounter this in the wild because it's a complex error-detecting or error-correcting code"

and then yeah I took advanced discrete and idk, some kind of bch code seems like what you'd be using

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
if my polynomial has a remainder
then I don't need that stumper
the concept of BCH codes
can take it in the dumper

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I remember my dad telling me about some encoding used in networking to take long runs of same bits from "very common because sometimes you just gotta encode a bunch of zeroes" to "you probably won't ever encounter this in the wild because it's a complex error-detecting or error-correcting code"

that sounds like 8b/10b encoding which isn't actually all that fancy, just clever

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shame Boy posted:

that sounds like 8b/10b encoding which isn't actually all that fancy, just clever

I mean if you're warming up your t1 hardware by sending a bunch of ones any poo poo is gonna be fancy

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/fs0c131y/status/1105259901205516288

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Been following this, its hilarious how cut/paste these are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
this and unicorn riot tend to make my day often