Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Detective No. 27 posted:

I don't think it counts as French New Wave, but Elevator to the Gallows.

For a sec I misread that as Elevator AND The Gallows, and I guess I thought M Night Shyamalan’s Devil was called Elevator, so I was like “wow I really misunderstood what qualifies as French New Wave”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
You all erased that fuckin Dutch documentary from your brain

Pepperidge Farm remembers bitch

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I'm still ride or die on this being the most true crime podcast though, because it is pure exploitative trash written by a shithead with the sole aim of making cash, there's a lot of buck wild episodes that she still worth a listen in 2019, maybe I'll make a playlist of them

Shout out the one that's just Mike being a shithead to a teenager for like twnrty minutes

lol back all that up before he throws a bigger tantrum and tries to delete it from the internet.

I only listened to a few episodes because I couldn't take the fearmongering. I listened to one about a murderer who got off on insanity and he kept saying "he could be out there. right now. in your neighborhood. living next door. to you."

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

TrixRabbi posted:

lol back all that up before he throws a bigger tantrum and tries to delete it from the internet.

I only listened to a few episodes because I couldn't take the fearmongering. I listened to one about a murderer who got off on insanity and he kept saying "he could be out there. right now. in your neighborhood. living next door. to you."

The show’s catchphrase was “where the worst monsters... are REAL” and his sign-off was “stay safe.”

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

TrixRabbi posted:

Nah he won't, he's too big of a shithead

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Detective No. 27 posted:

What was Sword and Scale? I'd never heard of it.

Dateline: Frat Bro Edition

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'm working on making a greatest hits list

Munchausen Mom one and two
The time Mike didn't know what 420 was
The one where he plays audio of reaction videos of people watching footage of an actual murder
The recent one where he reads text messages about pussy eating
The tome he both sides wanting to gently caress kids

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Coffee And Pie posted:

For a sec I misread that as Elevator AND The Gallows, and I guess I thought M Night Shyamalan’s Devil was called Elevator, so I was like “wow I really misunderstood what qualifies as French New Wave”

Ah yes, who could forget the French New Wave classic "The Unbreakable Village of Signs."

I've had Paris Belongs To Us sitting on my shelf for years. Been meaning to watch more French New Wave myself. I'm now trying to remember which French New Wave movie I first got introduced to in my community college film class. It's a genre I always forget I love. Pop culture gives french cinema this aura of impenetrable pretentiousness, but then I watch one and they're always fun watches.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Coffee And Pie posted:

What’s some good French New Wave stuff? I’ve got Breathless and Shoot the Piano Player on my list but there’s kind of a lot to look at
Anything by Agnès Varda is a must

If you're feeling adventureous, give Alain Resnais a look

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hahahah one cut of the dead is so goddamn fun

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The satanic panic episode that I'll take credit for because I called their Skype number half cocked on 4/20 and told him I was a long time caller first time listener and that he should do a show on that and like a week later he had a post up and a month or two later there was an episode

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
text-to-speech murderpedo chatlogs will always haunt me

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Trynna watch Witchfinder General today or tomorrow. Anyone know if this one is the proper cut?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KzAvrGIziQ

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Mike also managed to get himself banned from the subreddit to his own show because he was a piece of poo poo. Completely and utterly gently caress that man.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Coffee And Pie posted:

What’s some good French New Wave stuff? I’ve got Breathless and Shoot the Piano Player on my list but there’s kind of a lot to look at

After Breathless, Pierot le Fou is probably my favorite Godard

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

DrVenkman posted:

Mike also managed to get himself banned from the subreddit to his own show because he was a piece of poo poo. Completely and utterly gently caress that man.

Was this related to his sex pesting?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Fart City posted:

Was this related to his sex pesting?

I misspoke, he's actually banned from Reddit entirely for making up fake accounts to harass people (After he got banned from his own subreddit).

Also, lets be honest, all he's doing now is working up a storm to get more support for when he launches his own pay platform. He's making serious money already, he's just making sure he gets more.

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 11, 2019

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Incredible

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
As soon as he announced he was leaving patreon I was DMing x-ray cackling about how Mike was on that Jordan Peterson trip

He's such a piece of poo poo, and I hope this ends with him going broke

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

It’s a hell of a play, positioning yourself as the “official true crime podcast of the chud community.”

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Holy gently caress! I hope this doesn't sound smug but something just happened to me that I am super pleased about and which I thought y'all (or most you) would appreciate. I mentioned recently that I EPed a documentary about the music photographer Jim Marshall. I saw the final, finished film last week, and it's really good. Today I saw the producer and she handed me a rolled-up tube, which I was pretty sure contained a photo from the estate. I opened it up and sure enough it's a photo - bigger than I expected, and much better. It's a 20x24 print of the contact sheet from the roll of film, complete with photographer's markings, that contains the series of Miles Davis working out at a boxing gym, and from which this print is taken:
http://www.artnet.com/artists/jim-marshall/miles-davis-sA4Reul67TrWo0myeeKNkg2

Apart from the fact that I absolutely love contact sheets, it's one of the best things I've ever been given. It's loving amazing. They made 15 prints only for investors and others involved in the film.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Badass

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Stupid jealous, that's super sick, congrats, you obviously deserved it.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Coffee And Pie posted:

Oh, boy, where to even start.

I think the best approach would be to pick one film per director. That'll give you some insight into the sheer versatility of the French New Wave and will also tell you which styles you like best. My personal recommendations:

Jean-Luc Godard: Pretty hard to narrow down since he was so prolific. Aside from Breathless, the biggest must-see is probably Pierrot le fou.
François Truffaut: The 400 Blows
Agnès Varda: Cléo from 5 to 7
Louis Malle: Elevator to the Gallows
Jacques Rivette: Céline and Julie Go Boating
Alain Resnais: Last Year at Marienbad
Eric Rohmer: My Night at Maud's
Jacques Demy: The Umbrellas of Cherbourg
Chris Marker: La Jetée

Can't comment on Claude Chabrol, since I haven't seen anything by him yet.

There are some other directors which are sometimes considered part of the movement, but those names should keep you busy for a while.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Go with The Young Girls of Rochefort instead of The Umbrellas of Cherbourg for Demy. It's a much better and fun movie, has Gene Kelly, and it's main song won't make you think about dead cartoon dogs.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Everyone is more than welcome to continue here, but with as many recommendations and fans of the movement, a French New Wave thread would be sick.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Electronico6 posted:

Go with The Young Girls of Rochefort instead of The Umbrellas of Cherbourg for Demy. It's a much better and fun movie, has Gene Kelly, and it's main song won't make you think about dead cartoon dogs.
They're both masterworks, it's just that Rochefort is of the "scales fall from your eyes" variety, while Cherbourg takes romantic teasing & destiny to its absolute limit while being so cheerfully buoyant.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

bushisms.txt posted:

Stupid jealous, that's super sick, congrats, you obviously deserved it.

Thanks both. I am extremely happy with it and really touched. It’s a helluva gesture. It’s the coolest thing I’ve ever been given.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

therattle posted:

Holy gently caress! I hope this doesn't sound smug but something just happened to me that I am super pleased about and which I thought y'all (or most you) would appreciate. I mentioned recently that I EPed a documentary about the music photographer Jim Marshall. I saw the final, finished film last week, and it's really good. Today I saw the producer and she handed me a rolled-up tube, which I was pretty sure contained a photo from the estate. I opened it up and sure enough it's a photo - bigger than I expected, and much better. It's a 20x24 print of the contact sheet from the roll of film, complete with photographer's markings, that contains the series of Miles Davis working out at a boxing gym, and from which this print is taken:
http://www.artnet.com/artists/jim-marshall/miles-davis-sA4Reul67TrWo0myeeKNkg2

Apart from the fact that I absolutely love contact sheets, it's one of the best things I've ever been given. It's loving amazing. They made 15 prints only for investors and others involved in the film.

That's awesome, do you know when the documentary is going to be released?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Skwirl posted:

That's awesome, do you know when the documentary is going to be released?

Nope. It’s premiering this week at SXSW, after which we hope to conclude a deal (either US or something like a global Netflix sale). But a big photo gallery with branches in NY and London is doing an exhibition of his later this year. The film is full of his pictures, obviously, and it’s just one masterful shot after another after another. He was the real thing. I’d never heard of him but I knew a lot of the pictures.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

i can't share this anywhere else but I thought it was cool.

and then he smashes it

becomes way more vader like. then he destroys it even more.

I did it to match some shots for some toy photos. Which I will share to not make it just about this movie

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CelticPredator posted:

and then he smashes it

I did it to match some shots for some toy photos. Which I will share to not make it just about this movie

Have you thought about growing out of playing with toys?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Niceeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Do you think you could re-create the Sissy Spacek classic Trading Moms in its entirety with just figures?

Also, has anyone here seen Prime Cut? It is a bizarre mashup of Peckinpah, 70s Independent Cinema, and Hitchcock with Lee Marvin, Gene Hackman, and Sissy Spacek. Half an hour in and it rules.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I haven't heard of that movie lol.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Have you thought about growing out of playing with toys?

Have you thought about not being a condescending shitbag

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Coffee And Pie posted:

Aside from all the other great recs you've gotten:

Alphaville
Hiroshima mon amour
Band of Outsiders
Lola
Adieu Philippine

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Have you thought about not being a condescending shitbag

He probably hasn't. I don't really care. I have him on ignore. And I'm not gonna stop playing with toys.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

CelticPredator posted:

He probably hasn't. I don't really care. I have him on ignore. And I'm not gonna stop playing with toys.

Your toy playing is very cool and I admire that you do what you do.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I’m gonna watch Breathless tonight I think...subs or dubs?

CelticPredator posted:

and then he smashes it

I love that second one! And this would be a good fit for the subtle movie moments thread

Related: I found a bunch of my old figures from my high school days including Shaun (of the Dead), Jason IV, Marv from Sin City, and the least convincing Indiana Jones I’ve ever seen. I miss Suncoast/FYE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Coffee And Pie posted:

I’m gonna watch Breathless tonight I think...subs or dubs?

I usually try to watch things in their native language, but I could never get used to adult goku having that little kid voice.