Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

mcmagic posted:

Impeachment is a political decision and impeachment with zero possibility of conviction isn't a good political path for Dems.

Shrugging their shoulders and saying "eh, whatcha gonna do" to various Trump crimes isn't a good political path, either. They have a duty, and they should impeach. Let the Senate acquit him and then hammer Republicans about ignoring the rule of law when it suits them. Let THEM go on record and force their hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

I think you're very wrong. The second he's acquitted in the Senate, he and his Republican enablers will be able to claim a huge victory and dems will look impotent.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Jaxyon posted:

Why isn't Pelosi doing this impeachment she has no ability to pull off?

Also why isn't she stopping judicial appointments.

Help me I don't understand government but I want to be mad at democrats because being mad at Republicans doesn't get me replies in the thread.

I thought Pelosi was the grand master of controlling her caucus? She can't get impeachment through the house? Or she just doesn't want to?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

1glitch0 posted:

I thought Pelosi was the grand master of controlling her caucus? She can't get impeachment through the house? Or she just doesn't want to?

Its more about the Senate never being willing to convict

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003

Nail Rat posted:

She can totally impeach him, he just wouldn't be convicted.

He SHOULD be impeached. At least make him go through that loving circus and be embarrassed on the level of Bill Clinton.

He wouldn't just not be convicted. He would be vindicated. He'd go into the next election with, effectively, a clean record.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

he would not.

clinton's approval rating when impeachment was brought was in the 60s and it was obviously blatantly partisan.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

1glitch0 posted:

Or let the Muller report come out
Or let the house oversight committee investigation do it's thing.
Or wait until there's some sign It can make it through the senate or at least that it's going to be bipartisan in the house so it's not seen as a purely political move that will only strengthen Trump's hand.

Or we could not do this thing once a week where a bunch of people give their hot takes on an article that they did not read. Dems in disarray are the hottest stories because both sides click on them. So people turn them out Non-Stop. It doesn't make it true it doesn't make it pertinent. Right now impeachment would be stupid because none of the reports are out so it's off the table. Even if the leadership knows things that we don't, since they can't yet tell us it's still off the table.

How is this stuff so hard? We've been looking at the same stories for years now and some of y'all are so quick to jump on the 'Dems are bad' bait about every little thing.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

1glitch0 posted:

It would be a waste of time. He will never face the appropriate consequence with a Republican Senate.

There might be a case once the Mueller report drops or the numerous House investigations conclude.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

1glitch0 posted:

Pelosi heard that thing about how fascists need their enemies to be simultaneously weak and useless AND all powerful and cunning and she assumed that was actual advice

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

1glitch0 posted:

She was, but recent events have called that into question. She's been losing votes to bullshit gotcha resolutions.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

The Glumslinger posted:

Its more about the Senate never being willing to convict

Pelosi has no power over conviction in the senate. Who cares? Pelosi had time to shame Omar over a tweet saying American politicians are greedy, she has time to impeach Trump. Unless.. and follow me here, she just doesn't want to.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

bird cooch you did this when her m4a interview came out and when i quoted directly from the article supporting what i said (after you stupidly claimed i hadn't read it) you for some reason ignored that.

Crows Turn Off posted:

It would be a waste of time. He will never face the appropriate consequence with a Republican Senate.

everything they do right now is a waste of time. our government is useless without unitary democratic control now.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
pelosi, as well as most of washtington, knows the mueller report has nada. She's a good politician, and a survivor creating space for her to be the adult in the room.

The nice thing most senate/house dems have going for them is no real game in the mueller report or the coming counter investigations besides Waters, Schiff and a few others. As long as they position themselves, they benefit either way it goes.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

ScentOfAnOtaku posted:

By not acting like it's a game anymore and actually talking like it's peoples lives and not votes?

I have to agree here. Pelosi and Dem Party leadership smiling and playing along like this is just another GOP sideshow that must be endured is a big part of the problem. There shouldn't be any return to civility planned. Impeach this traitorous gently caress. He's the most treasonous President in history (discounting Buchanan) so if Congress doesn't even try to impeach Trump, why the gently caress even pretend impeachment is a thing other than a way to poo poo on Democratic Presidents?

This election is going to be about turnout and just doing the minimum while counting down the days to a fabled return to the previous status quo is a good way to spike it. We've tried tactical triangulation. We've tried it for 50 loving years.

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.

1glitch0 posted:

Pelosi has no power over conviction in the senate. Who cares? Pelosi had time to shame Omar over a tweet saying American politicians are greedy, she has time to impeach Trump. Unless.. and follow me here, she just doesn't want to.

Pretty much this. Saying it is acceptable for the House to shirk its duties because the senate is doing so is a stupid shrug, and it disrespects the importance of how complicit they are being in this mess.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Mnoba posted:

pelosi, as well as most of washtington, knows the mueller report has nada.
Source?

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

bird cooch you did this when her m4a interview came out and when i quoted directly from the article supporting what i said (after you stupidly claimed i hadn't read it) you for some reason ignored that.

everything they do right now is a waste of time. our government is useless without unitary democratic control now.

I did that because you removed all context of the quotes in order to make it worse so that you could scream and tear at your clothes.

There's lots of stuff to be done with a controlled house, like investigations and issuing subpoenas. Getting things entered into the Congressional record. All of these things are important.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Mnoba posted:

pelosi, as well as most of washtington, knows the mueller report has nada.

Yeah just a bunch of dudes charged and going to jail.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/seungminkim/status/1105217370623217674

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/BresPolitico/status/1105207232378126337

Some folks seem to think this is a smart move, I dunno :shrug:

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Mnoba posted:

pelosi, as well as most of washtington, knows the mueller report has nada. She's a good politician, and a survivor creating space for her to be the adult in the room.

The nice thing most senate/house dems have going for them is no real game in the mueller report or the coming counter investigations besides Waters, Schiff and a few others. As long as they position themselves, they benefit either way it goes.

How do you speak with such authority on the opinions of 'most of Washington'? Please share the source of your infinite wisdom.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

mnoba is an open chud and has spent way too many days trolling this thread without catching a ban

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ignoring collusion, obstruction, etc donald trump will have personally pocketed hundreds of millions of our tax dollars by the time he's gone.

bird cooch posted:

I did that because you removed all context of the quotes in order to make it worse so that you could scream and tear at your clothes.

lol no i didn't. nice loving try.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

It seems to me that Trump would never get removed from office, even if he was super guilty of a lot of crimes and the various investigations turned up solid evidence of that. I'd support impeachment if there was clear enough evidence (as in evidence which is hard to argue against) of crimes/wrongdoing. If you could get a good trial going and have, say, a few R senators flip because the evidence is there then it might be worthwhile. But if it's just partisan or every Democratic senator minus Joe Manchin (or a few others) and the evidence is lukewarm it's possible that impeachment is a bad idea.

That being said, I think Pelosi's position is not good. A better position may be that we should wait for the house investigations to turn up what they can and see what Mueller accomplishes before deciding on whether to impeach.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

DaveWoo posted:

https://twitter.com/BresPolitico/status/1105207232378126337

Some folks seem to think this is a smart move, I dunno :shrug:

So we'll hunt her. Because she can take it.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

mcmagic posted:

I think you're very wrong. The second he's acquitted in the Senate, he and his Republican enablers will be able to claim a huge victory and dems will look impotent.

Seriously. When the Republicans don't remove Trump from office after impeachment, it will be seen as a huge win and proof that there was no collusion. It doesn't matter what is in the Mueller report at that point. Trump, his base, and Fox News will repeatedly hammer the message that the Democrats were wrong and Trump was totally in the clear this whole time.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Xombie posted:

Catholicism isn't an ethnic group, it's an organization.

Catholicism is deeply tied to the identity of a poo poo ton of ethnic groups in the same way Islam and most other religions are.
Protestantism is just about the only sect that doesn't manifest like this usually.... and even it does in some cases.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Astro7x posted:

Seriously. When the Republicans don't remove Trump from office after impeachment, it will be seen as a huge win and proof that there was no collusion. It doesn't matter what is in the Mueller report at that point. Trump, his base, and Fox News will repeatedly hammer the message that the Democrats were wrong and Trump was totally in the clear this whole time.

yeah they don't do that every time he fails or shits himself in public already.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Unzip and Attack posted:

why the gently caress even pretend impeachment is a thing other than a way to poo poo on Democratic Presidents?

Two out of three presidents it was done to or considered for were Republicans but, uh...ok?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
One of the important intangible things impeachment would do is show voters that they actually have a spine and are willing to stand for something and that would energize a lot of people.

They won't though of course.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Imagine having to be sat down by Dick “go gently caress yourself” Cheney and being told “hey you’re really loving up our relations world wide with other countries” :laffo:

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

Yeah just a bunch of dudes charged and going to jail.

It's always possible that the Mueller report turns out to just say that Trump employed a bunch of lovely people who got sent to jail but otherwise turns up nothing conclusive against Trump on the Russia or obstruction after Trump's inauguration. Personally, I'm convinced that he did something bad, but Mueller could turn up nothing exciting. I don't think Pelosi has any insider knowledge of this though. If she did then I feel like we'd have a leak by now.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

VH4Ever posted:

Two out of three presidents it was done to or considered for were Republicans but, uh...ok?

Yeah I mean nothing has changed since Andrew Johnson and the charges leveled against Bill Clinton, Nixon, and Trump are all pretty much comparable right?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Vote him out of office. Then convict his rear end when he doesn't have any protections and let him spend the rest of his life in prison.

Impeachment would be nice just so it would be in the books that he was impeached. But the slow game has a bigger payoff.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Mike Pence nods approvingly, assuming Cheney is implying that the US to start jailing the gays.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Chilichimp posted:

There is no god, and everything a religious person does to actively harm society is done out of a hilarious cosmic cruelty.

gently caress the church, sure, but also gently caress every single person who's ever expressed approval of the policies of the church out of some misguided idea of truth and morality, even if it's objectively cruel, because they believe in an invisible man, commandments, consequences, sacraments and sins.

loving lol at leftists who are really into anti-racism and fighting back against stuff like Islamophobia, who also apparently actively resent and hold immense condescension for a good 75% of those people because they're "ewww religious!!"

Like I'm picturing you standing up for someone in a hijab, while simultaneously trying not to barf about their ways.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Eeyo posted:

It's always possible that the Mueller report turns out to just say that Trump employed a bunch of lovely people who got sent to jail but otherwise turns up nothing conclusive against Trump on the Russia or obstruction after Trump's inauguration. Personally, I'm convinced that he did something bad, but Mueller could turn up nothing exciting. I don't think Pelosi has any insider knowledge of this though. If she did then I feel like we'd have a leak by now.

It's entirely possible there will be no Russia stuff, but even if it doesn't there's zero way it won't have a bunch of white collar poo poo that, at the very 'best' for Trump just HEAVILY IMPLIES he almost certainly knew about what was happening with poo poo like Wikileaks. I think if anything wrt Russia does bust him it's gonna be that, all they need is one big of hard convo to create a link between point A of 'Stone was a trump surrogate who talked with Wikileaks about the emails' that we already know and point B of 'there's no way he just randomly thought this was a good idea and never told his best friend Donnie'.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Just remember that regardless of anything else, Trump's companies are already hosed.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high
Given that

1) Impeachment will have zero actual consequences because he won't be convicted

and

2) While no one can say for sure, there's a very real possibility a failed impeachment will bolster Trump's odds at being re-elected

The argument for it amounts to "I want Dems to spend their effort on symbolic stands that may well get in the way of actually changing things"

Groovelord Neato posted:

That's not true at all. Actions they take now can improve or decrease their odds of winning big in 2020.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

VideoGameVet posted:

She did it in 2013. And she does it again:
Nancy Pelosi on Impeaching Trump: ‘He’s Just Not Worth It’

I’m not for impeachment. This is news. I’m going to give you some news right now because I haven’t said this to any press person before. But since you asked, and I’ve been thinking about this: Impeachment is so divisive to the country that unless there’s something so compelling and overwhelming and bipartisan, I don’t think we should go down that path, because it divides the country. And he’s just not worth it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.19271ecd85dd

"...unless there’s something so compelling and overwhelming and bipartisan,..."

This is the door that needs to be opened for impeachment to happen. The key to that door is the Mueller report, et al. (we hope).

Remember that the Republicans hosed up by prematurely impeaching Clinton. If they were at all smart, we could accuse them of setting a trap then for the situation we're in now. [Narrator: "They're not, of course, and never were.]