Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Amber believes in actually participating in politics, which is always going to be Problematic and not as cool as online dunks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I like Amber the most because I feel like she is the most likely to have something interesting to say. She sometimes has a take I don't like, which I think is where other people find themselves not liking her. I'm willing to tolerate points of disagreement with someone who broadly shares the same values as I do, especially if they have something new to say. That is why Matt is my second favorite, even though I find myself agreeing with him more frequently. He has a worse ratio of complaining to providing insights.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The ranking is still
Matt
Amber
Virgil
Will
Felix

Serf
May 5, 2011

apparently left hate for amber comes from her making GBS threads on other communists. who? where? no one knows

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

T-man posted:

she gets hate 'cause she's a she

yeah the female chapo getting the most scrutiny and animosity is not surprising at all lol

yorkinshire
Apr 28, 2009

In space no one can hear your dope beats.
Amber has the most interesting political commentary, Matt is there for his nihlistic rants, Virgil is the wonk who actually has some great one liners, Felix is the poster, and will is the glue.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The stuff Amber said about how creepy "calling in" is really struck a chord with me. Maybe this is an excuse, but I feel like a big part of why I didn't get involved in leftist politics sooner was that leftist politics during the 00s, to an outside observer, appeared to be a lot of weird, creepy, very angry people demanding that you cede your own ability to make ethical decisions to a mob (or to whomever happened to be the coolest member of the mob that day). I imagine her stating that you can say "I didn't do anything wrong, so it's your problem if your feelings are hurt" will be enraging to some people.

Complaining about this now makes me feel like I'm verging too close to being a Gamergater getting incensed over an imaginary SJW agenda, because I can't think of a slew of people or communities that serve as good examples...at least, not that have endured and outlasted the Obama administration. But Shakesville is one really good example.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 11, 2019

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Amber is by far the Chapo who is the most specific about her politics, seeing as she's a writer and all. That means she's got takes that are a lot more open to criticism than the rest of the Chapos, who occupy a vague "dirtbag left" space that seemingly has room for both Matt's anti-electorialism and Virgil's progressivism. She's the best chapo, but she's also the chapo I disagree with the most, simply because she's got a lot of opinions out there.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 11, 2019

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I also remember she was organizing a M4A canvassing meeting and the space she chose wasnt accessible enough. Her not changing it was a huge sticking point for people hating amber, and these people just ignored that this particular space was used by DSA all the time.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Spoeank posted:

I also remember she was organizing a M4A canvassing meeting and the space she chose wasnt accessible enough. Her not changing it was a huge sticking point for people hating amber, and these people just ignored that this particular space was used by DSA all the time.

don't forget that she asked if anyone who was mad wanted to find them another space and was called an ableist for it

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Serf posted:

don't forget that she asked if anyone who was mad wanted to find them another space and was called an ableist for it

Why do we let the terminally online communicate with real people

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

SlimGoodbody posted:

remember when it came out that one of the disabled self-diagnosed aspergers dudes calling out amber had an investment banker father who made millions off the iraq war, lol

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

little munchkin posted:

remember when it came out that one of the "disabled" dudes calling out amber had an investment banker father who made millions off the iraq war, lol

Don't say the name.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

SlimGoodbody posted:

There really ought to be some kind of decompression protocol, like deep sea teams returning to the surface.

Edit: vvvv Neopets

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 11, 2019

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

What sites do you think Ilhan Omar has alts on? She seems pretty online. not in a bad way

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://twitter.com/cushbomb/status/1105225304040263680?s=19

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Surprised the courts are letting this happen, considering the president could be indicted in the worst scandal in history

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Serf posted:

Didn't they get mad at her for ignoring them and it turned out they had submitted the wrong email address?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Didn't they get mad at her for ignoring them and it turned out they had submitted the wrong email address?

Also it came out that after all his shrieking about the importance of disability access that his dsa chapter met in like the third floor of a church with zero ADA coverage and he'd never said poo poo

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Imagine Alan Dershowitz showing up to a CPUSA meeting and being very confused when people start talking about communism

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

T-man posted:

she gets hate 'cause she's a she

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
the DSA online disability caucus sent the wrong email info to the manager of the open forum determining the DSA’s Medicare 4 All stances, they blamed this on Amber and demanded her resignation, and when she didn’t back down at all they decided the DSA didn’t deserve their very important activism on behalf of the disabled and disbanded the caucus. Very cool bunch.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Dr. Killjoy posted:

the DSA online disability caucus sent the wrong email info to the manager of the open forum determining the DSA’s Medicare 4 All stances, they blamed this on Amber and demanded her resignation, and when she didn’t back down at all they decided the DSA didn’t deserve their very important activism on behalf of the disabled and disbanded the caucus. Very cool bunch.

also it turned out she couldn't resign because she wasn't actually on the committee.

quote:

An earlier version of this statement misidentified the calls between the DWG and National as with the NPC rather than staff, and identified Amber A'lee Frost as a M4A Committee member. We do not in fact know whether or not she is a member of the committee. We regret the errors.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Amber is probably the person most critical of social justice discourse so it’s not surprising she gets a lot of poo poo. When Felix says something that gets them in trouble he usually feels bad and apologizes. Amber does not.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Amber owns.

Matt owns.

Virgil owns.

Felix and Will are there.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Spoeank posted:

I thought it was they were canvassing in neighborhoods with walkups? I don't think anyone actually knows the story, everyone will tell it with their own details

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

padijun posted:

I thought it was they were canvassing in neighborhoods with walkups? I don't think anyone actually knows the story, everyone will tell it with their own details

That was the cherry on top. They couldn't access the hall to discuss canvassing in walkup areas where they couldn't really canvass and they threw a fit. It was literally a case of deciding to be mad then backfilling the reasoning.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
Will's contribution to the group is that his hatred for the media CHUDs burns the brightest and the hottest.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
an on-topic Will RT

https://twitter.com/fender_splendor/status/1105293076539625478

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

:drat:

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
hopefully one day matt will do a series of episodes with marxist historical interpretations

every once in a while you get a peek and it looks good

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Serf posted:

People who are like "Doing anything without consulting me is oppression, but asking me for my input is exploitation" are the best kind of person to have in your activist org.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

EndOfTheWorld posted:

Will's contribution to the group is that his hatred for the media CHUDs burns the brightest and the hottest.

I really think that for the Chapos, a LOT of their anger at pepes, grifters, and media worms is a "there but for the grace of God go I" thing. Which is perfectly valid, just funny. Will in particular was probably only saved from an alternate universe where he's Twitter friends with Megan Mcardle by like, one or two life events.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
That's Matt. Will is a red diaper grandbaby.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Amber owns.

Matt owns.

Virgil owns.

Felix and Will are there.

Will has proven he is needed as the Dad of the group with the episode where he was missing.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Halloween Jack posted:

That's Matt. Will is a red diaper grandbaby.

true but will has also explicitly said that he was close to being a chud before he grew out of it iirc

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

Truly, our souls are all so close to peril, like schnippers in the hands of an angry Podhoretz.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

MonsieurChoc posted:

Will has proven he is needed as the Dad of the group with the episode where he was missing.

Yeah I appreciate when he's able to steer Felix off some weird cliff that isn't going to end in any sort of appreciable punchline but more often he's stepping on some hot fire Matt is unleashing to drop some dumb pun and it angers me.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
OLD, TIRED: Chapo play CK2

NEW, FRESH: Chapo play CK2 with the Game of Thrones mod

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Yeah I appreciate when he's able to steer Felix off some weird cliff that isn't going to end in any sort of appreciable punchline but more often he's stepping on some hot fire Matt is unleashing to drop some dumb pun and it angers me.
If no one stopped Matt, every episode would just be ten minutes of group banter and then seventy minutes of increasingly illegible shouts. Will doesn't interrupt Matt to "drop some dumb pun," he does it to keep poo poo from devolving into unlistenable noise (see also: any time Felix starts talking about the areas of his expertise).

That said, any time a poster tries to rank the hosts, they only reveal themselves to be dumb idiots. Every chapo is good and great, even though sometimes every chapo is lovely and stupid.