Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Every time I see EVS I wonder what kind of noise his head would make when punched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rhyno posted:

Every time I see EVS I wonder what kind of noise his head would make when punched.

I assume akin to the sound of a jackolantern being smashed at 3am on Halloween.

I liked Ghostbusters, but mostly for Chris Hemsworth. The running joke about ordering lunch got really tired after the first time though. I only bought it because I needed 7bux to make free shipping on Amazon and it was on sale for 10.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I detest Melissa McCarthy. So GN16 was a no go for me.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Ghostbusters 16 wasn't good, but ironically none of it had to do with the casting imo

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Anyone who's gonna say GB16 is a bad movie should have to defend GB2 being a better movie first.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Scorching take i know but gb2 was better than the first because it went dark

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Vigo owns

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Endless Mike posted:

Vigo Janosz owns

Fixed.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

RevKrule posted:

Anyone who's gonna say GB16 is a bad movie should have to defend GB2 being a better movie first.

I like GB16 more than most but GB2 is absolutely the better movie and anyone who thinks it's had is just wrong. Yes, Including Bill Murray.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The biggest problem with Ghostbusters 2 is that it's not Ghostbusters 1.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

RevKrule posted:

Both are worse than Extreme Ghostbusters.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

RevKrule posted:

Am I gonna have to defend The Matrix as a better movie than Resident Evil next?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr Hootington posted:

Extreme Ghostbusters had a Hellraiser episode. This is a point in its favor but I like to remember it just because it amazes me.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

twistedmentat posted:

I liked Ghostbusters, but mostly for Chris Hemsworth.

The "Little help?" sandwich bit at the end of the movie is a ridiculous and brilliant gag that nobody ever talks about.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Mr Hootington posted:

Extreme gb was no the real gb, even if it gave us kylie who is the superior Ghostbuster

Really the ultimate gb is the IDW comic tho, no question

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

X-O posted:

Fixed.

....Fair.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Rhyno posted:

I detest Melissa McCarthy. So GN16 was a no go for me.

I detest her and Wiig, and yet, enjoyed both of them in G16.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I put GB16 over GB2, and I liked GB2. That big fight scene in act 3 kinda sucked though.

EVS looks like he's trying to do a poor Jeff Bridges cosplay.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Green Intern posted:

Based on an exhaustive (5 second) Google search, Ghostbusters 2016 had a budget of $144M, and made $229M at the box office. As I understand it, something like half of that box office actually goes directly back to theaters and distribution costs. So even a film that appears widely successful can still be considered a flop at the producer/studio level due to this split.

Basing a film's success solely on revenue is just lovely consumer capitalist thought though.
You're absolutely right on the last point. Also I'm sorry here is a big stupid ramble about movie politics through profit.

Disclaimer: this is just years of incredibly amateur know-how and experience on my part from people in the retail movie theater scene so if I'm wrong I'm wrong and will let people with more experience than me talk.

But, in short: you have to effectively double every single movie budget and then roughly multiply that by 1.5 in order to see the beginning of a profit and as a result Hollywood has ended up with obscenely skewed success metrics because it's never enough to make back the initial investment, you have to at least double it. If it's 20 million you need 60 million to declare it a success and not a huge waste of time and effort because Hollywood and investment are dangerously hand in hand.

Ghostbusters 2016: budget of 144 million dollars. Heavily advertised because Sony doesn't do subtle these days, Sony wants hella money all the time, so it's not unreasonable to say that in addition to the marketing the entire shebang cost 300 million dollars.

Which is a lot. Hollywood has a loving huge bloat and scale problem. On the low end of things, a cheap movie is around 10 million dollars. We're talking your two-week runs of horror films written by up-and-coming directors being wildly exploited by Warner Brothers executives. On the high end of things you have every single time Disney pushes the envelope with insane cash injections because Disney's big thing lately has been drowning the competition in displays of power. The fourth Pirates of the Caribbean movie was 378 million and that was four years after the third movie which is an insane gamble of money but if anyone can do that, it's loving Disney.

Back to Ghostbusters: it has to make 300,000,000.01 to begin to make a profit. Not an unlikely prospect, it's not hard to pull that kind of swing in the summer season when everyone and their dog are releasing blockbusters. Feig himself said "it has to make 500 million worldwide and that's probably low". It did not, in fact, make even close to that amount. 229 million is not even enough to break even.

Furthermore movie theaters themselves barely see any of this money; 90% of a ticket goes back to the companies that make them with 10% going to the theater themselves. That ratio shifts as time goes on or if it's pre-negotiated to be a different split or if the theater gets the movie way late in the run where the studio has comfortably reaped all the cash they want. Movie theaters themselves make money off concessions which is why there's absolutely insane markup on a cup of soda and a single batch of popcorn is roughly 10 cents of seed, oil and flavoring salt but makes 3 tubs of popcorn that get sold for $8 each but this is just a huge digression that means nothing because this is a special interest for me because this is the hell I live in.

Anyway why did I do that entire breakdown? Well that's what it looks like when a movie isn't successful and can't get everything it absolutely positively needs back. Now to actually add some context for this whole specific thread, let's take a look at what is probably going to be a talking point for the chuds now that Captain Marvel did do business and they have to start moving goalposts:

"Captain Marvel not doing as well as the other movies means that :females:-centric movies that cater to the SJW liberal blah blah wank wank is bad business and the companies are going to stop because the real money is found by catering to me and my six white male friends all named Blake."

The two metrics they're going to use are Black Panther and Wonder Woman because BP is the last Marvel film that dared pay attention to minorities and Wonder Woman will be compared because Captain Marvel is a lady and Wonder Woman is a lady and by that metric alone they should be compared.

Wonder Woman: 149 million budget, making it effectively 300 million including marketing and advertising, 821 million worldwide. Very sizeable return on investment, very strong. Having been a boot on the ground in the retail scene, Wonder Woman absolutely had staying power. Mid-May was a good time to drop it off as the start of the blockbuster season because quite frankly had no real competition in the form of Pirates of the Caribbean: Please Stop, Universal Studios presents Universal Studio's Dark Universe The Mummy a Dark Universe film and Cars 3: #millennials.

Black Panther: Good golly Miss Molly, they don't have the budget for this sucker released just yet but it was estimated to be 200-210 million and made 1.3 billion. They could announce that it had the budget of a pack of gum and a sneeze and it'd still be a handy profit to let Disney pat itself on the back with. Dropping Black Panther in February was like pitching an actual iron cannonball into a swimming pool and it had good staying power for an entire month and then some.

Captain Marvel: 152 million budget, double it for 304 and change, current standing intake of 456 million as of writing this. That's nothing to sneeze at, that's a very solid recoup and stuck landing. It too has the luxury of jack and poo poo being worth watching right now if you don't know what's in theaters and just aimlessly show up to see what's on. 800 million total is very doable but in all seriousness I would imagine that it's likely going to be around 700ish without a big push that I don't think is coming.

And they're going to use those metrics to giggle and cackle and say "ah you see they will stop making these movies about people who aren't me" despite missing the cultural context of the world around them. Namely that:

1: BP and WW came out already and this is just a third solid point of proof to indicate that you should start diversifying your casts.
2: BP and WW came out in a pre-Infinity War world. Don't forget that Ant Man and the Wasp kind of got the shaft when people realized "wait this has nothing to do with IW and just explains where Ant Man is".

Regrettably CM has to come out before Tony Stark and Captain America loving die and the road has already been paved for it to come out this way. It's good to have more diversity and representation. It's good to put more lady role models on the screen. It's bad when you're a multi-billion dollar megacorp that gets to be a cultural gatekeeper and loving deigns to declare who can and cannot be made popular and accessible by the masses and you don't give a huge amount of thought to the implications and message sent caused by your lady-lead movie to just be the last thing before the absolute end, especially when that message empowers assholes to act shittier than they normal do.

In conclusion: if you need to smack a dickhead down once he starts moving the goalposts and starts talking about how everything is on the decline, here are some points to make to grasp firmly and apply with force. They're going to keep dragging about GB16 and how sassy and confrontational "this isn't for you, silly boys, now it's time for WOMEN!" marketing meant the entire thing imploded and GB16 was a failure and Captain Marvel didn't even make as much money as these other films and this is why they are wrong and also being intentionally disingenuous.

Vox Valentine fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 11, 2019

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

^^^Don't forget the F&F movies, which, while not superhero movies, feature diverse casts and have been very successful.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Endless Mike posted:

^^^Don't forget the F&F movies, which, while not superhero movies, feature diverse casts and have been very successful.

If Winter Soldier counts as a superhero movie then F&F 7 and 8 count as superhero movies too, IMO. :cheeky:

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Endless Mike posted:

I was going at it from a more superhero movie angle but yeah you know what, that's fair. At this point they're doing a spin-off where The Rock and Jason Statham have to clown on a genetically-enhanced cyborg supersoldier so it's safe to say that the F&F movies are superhero films (yes that's really the plot of Hobbs & Shaw).

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

^^^Don't forget the F&F movies, which, while not superhero movies,

I mean, they clearly are at this point:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
One of my friends said it best as f&f is a superhero franchise where the cars are the powers

But yeah the spin off is literally idris hads superpowers so they're just going full bore now

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Alhazred posted:

I mean, they clearly are at this point:

The next movie has two of the characters fighting Idris Elba, who has a suit it that gives him super strength and speed, they are superhero movies at this point.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Gavok posted:

The "Little help?" sandwich bit at the end of the movie is a ridiculous and brilliant gag that nobody ever talks about.

And when he holds up the two shirtless photos of himself and asks "which of these makes me look more like a doctor?". I could not stop laughing at that.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Monaghan posted:

The next movie has two of the characters fighting Idris Elba, who has a suit it that gives him super strength and speed, they are superhero movies at this point.

I have seen the ads but I had no idea that was a F&F movie, I have only watched the first one.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The rock isn't introduced till 5 and statham in 7, well technically the end of 6 but whatever

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Man, I gotta quit sleeping on that F&F series

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Puppy Time posted:

I'm a fanatic, so I think they're all worth watching, but they really pick up with 5. 4 has some backstory that plays into 6, but all you really need to know is Letty, Michelle Rodriguez's character, supposedly died and she was the love of Vin Diesel's life

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Puppy Time posted:

I'm just going to quash your dreams right up front. No, Vin Diesel and The Rock do not have an oiled-up shirtless make out session. And we will probably never see since the two don't really like each other anymore.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The f&f franchise owns, but (another hot take today) 8 kinda jumped the shark a little and there's been some behind the scenes feuds so it's probably gonna fall off sooner or later

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

site posted:

The f&f franchise owns, but (another hot take today) 8 kinda jumped the shark a little and there's been some behind the scenes feuds so it's probably gonna fall off sooner or later

I think those feuds are part of the reason the new one is a spin-off. But I agree, 8 doesn't have the same magic as the earlier ones. Something I probably wouldn't have thought before his death, but they're really missing something without Paul Walker. I get dewy eyed at the end of 7.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Dreqqus posted:

Hambly has been a real piece of poo poo well longer than he's been internet famous for being one. I used to run in competitive MTG circles and he was one that organizers were told to keep an eye on.

Oh so he's Bertoncini part two, got it

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

site posted:

One of my friends said it best as f&f is a superhero franchise where the cars are the powers

But yeah the spin off is literally idris hads superpowers so they're just going full bore now

Mumble mumble I say it all the time

Those movies are incredible they started as point break but cars, did a brief detour through 80s ski lovie but cars, and now everyone is Thor and the cars are mjolnir

I fully expect the last movie to reveal this is actually a star wars prequel and the family are jedi and that's why they're so good at cars

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Mr Hootington posted:

Extreme Ghostbusters is probably the second best thing to come out of the franchise. Comparisons to it are unfair and you know it.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
https://twitter.com/EthanVanSciver/status/1105182888910311424

Well the good news here is that EVS has acknowledged there are literally hundreds of comics pros that understand X-Men better than him, because they drew more issues of X-Men.

Unless he's claiming he drew all of them now, you never know.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

Well the good news here is that EVS has acknowledged there are literally hundreds of comics pros that understand X-Men better than him, because they drew more issues of X-Men.

Does he still demand credit for being racially sensitive for creating Dust and being creative in general because he created the Stepford Cuckoos even though he was working with Grant who sketches his characters to give to the artist beforehand?

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Edge & Christian posted:

https://twitter.com/EthanVanSciver/status/1105182888910311424

That's not really as effective a counter as "I wrote the comic," even if the penciller has a heavy influence on the storytelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I think the most frequent claim is that he created Dust "the first Muslim X-Man" and Jessica Cruz* "the first Latina Green Lantern" and therefore he can't be racist.

*citation needed

Sometimes he remembers to say "co-created", other times not.